ADVERTISEMENT

"Riley Guys" for 2020 season

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
In a few days, Frost will have a big chunk of what now is three recruiting classes, so he has most of his "guys". Players who were here prior to the coaching change range from RS Juniors to RS Seniors. Who are the contributors?
Offense, likely starters - Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson, JD, Stoll
Offense, on depth chart - Bando, Allen
Defense, likely starters - Damion, Deontre, Miller, DiCap, Jojo (situational, will play a lot), Stille, Dismuke.
Defense, on depth chart - ??? (possible Chris Walker)
Given that not counting special teams, there are at least 44 spots on a depth chart (and usually between 50-60 names on the 2+ deep), one would expect this number to be higher, but many of the kids that might have been on the list are playing FB elswhere.
The team will still be very young next year.

Honestly I count this as his 2nd class. The first class was put together at the twelfth hour and many of those guys were left overs that have already left our team. We are still 1-2 more recruiting classes always from getting this machine rolling.
By looking at the commit date, Cam J, Will Farn, Pickering, Alston and Wildeman committed before the coaching change. Cam is an NE kid, Will Farniok's brother was already on the team. And for a transition class, the group contains Cam Taylor, Tannor, Casey Rogers, Honas, Deontai, and AMart, plus the guys alreay mentioned (with Alston looking a little bustish). The class is light due to attrition and the next class has already contributed and has great potential.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Honestly I count this as his 2nd class. The first class was put together at the twelfth hour and many of those guys were left overs that have already left our team. We are still 1-2 more recruiting classes always from getting this machine rolling.
I think you are waaay too aggressive here. He needs a full turn of players he’s recruited to help him learn the type of players that work and those who do not in his system for this conference. Maybe year 7, definitely year 8 things should be improving.

I think you are waaay too aggressive here. He needs a full turn of players he’s recruited to help him learn the type of players that work and those who do not in his system for this conference. Maybe year 7, definitely year 8 things should be improving.
No no no. Wrong wrong wrong. It will take Scott a full 25 years to get this thing going in the right direction. Riley did so much damage to the program by having a .500 record. Its only fair for Scott to get 2.5 decades to right the ship. By 2040 we should be back competing for a bowl game.

No no no. Wrong wrong wrong. It will take Scott a full 25 years to get this thing going in the right direction. Riley did so much damage to the program by having a .500 record. Its only fair for Scott to get 2.5 decades to right the ship. By 2040 we should be back competing for a bowl game.
@Big Red Rules captured the moment already... for it to be funny it needs to subtly be sarcastic while sprinkling realism into it. Well done, BRR!

Yours, on the other hand, was neither subtle nor based in any sort of reality.

Nice try though.

And thus the narrative is self perpetuating - "we have a young team."
There is no narrative. There is no central authority attempting to mold your thoughts. Take off the tinfoil hat and believe whatever you want, I know I will.

Fing ridiculous! No one gets 7 years to "grt thrir guys".

Reactions: SOCALHSKR

That's not fair. Many programs can't manage a winning record until the coach has been there at least 40 years. It takes time to get your system in place, build the weight program up to standard, and have three generations of recruits. Recruiting the grandchildren of former players can be extremely lucrative.

Remember what happened to LaVell Edwards at BYU, or Eddie Robinson at Grambling. The so-called "fans" got impatient before they were able to put together their first "real" team.

Reactions: TheNewNU
There is no narrative. There is no central authority attempting to mold your thoughts. Take off the tinfoil hat and believe whatever you want, I know I will.
I love Frost but the guy is in charge of the jobs of some of his closest friends, his career as a football coach hangs in the balance as does millions of dollars. It would be the pinnacle of naivety to think he doesn't manipulate the media...especially when a lot of the crap happening is beyond his control. He better be shaping or molding the narrative because he has a lot at stake, just for sake of greed, if he can make it three more years he probably makes another 10 million. The last 4 coaches to flame out at NU are at Ohio, Perpetual Assistant, Youngstown state, and "retired". None of those are good. I expect him to "blame", transfer responsibility, and then when he has better control he'll start to point the thumb.

2020 is Year 3 under new management - they are all "Frost guys".

If anyone on the roster is starting or playing in 2020 then they have proven themselves better than other players at that position personally recruited by Frost.

Reactions: dckchusker
I love Frost but the guy is in charge of the jobs of some of his closest friends, his career as a football coach hangs in the balance as does millions of dollars. It would be the pinnacle of naivety to think he doesn't manipulate the media...especially when a lot of the crap happening is beyond his control. He better be shaping or molding the narrative because he has a lot at stake, just for sake of greed, if he can make it three more years he probably makes another 10 million. The last 4 coaches to flame out at NU are at Ohio, Perpetual Assistant, Youngstown state, and "retired". None of those are good. I expect him to "blame", transfer responsibility, and then when he has better control he'll start to point the thumb.
Sorry, I tried to read that but all I got was "tinfoil hat".

In a few days, Frost will have a big chunk of what now is three recruiting classes, so he has most of his "guys". Players who were here prior to the coaching change range from RS Juniors to RS Seniors. Who are the contributors?
Offense, likely starters - Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson, JD, Stoll
Offense, on depth chart - Bando, Allen
Defense, likely starters - Damion, Deontre, Miller, DiCap, Jojo (situational, will play a lot), Stille, Dismuke.
Defense, on depth chart - ??? (possible Chris Walker)
Given that not counting special teams, there are at least 44 spots on a depth chart (and usually between 50-60 names on the 2+ deep), one would expect this number to be higher, but many of the kids that might have been on the list are playing FB elswhere.
The team will still be very young next year.
They stopped being Riley guys after he got fired. They're now Frost guys and have been for two years.

If it takes 8 years to start improving, Frost will not care anyway. He will already be in year two as the Florida Atlantic head coach.

I suppose one could make the case that a first year coach is limited by the roster of players he inherits. Three recruiting classes later, that argument fails.
You still have to develop those guys. Not many high school seniors come in ready to be full time players their first 2 years. IMO, it's a 4-5 year deal to really judge a coach's ability to recruit and develop the guys he needs. Canning a coach anything short of that is a statement either on the unreasonableness of the administration OR the utter obvious incompetence of the coach.

You still have to develop those guys. Not many high school seniors come in ready to be full time players their first 2 years. IMO, it's a 4-5 year deal to really judge a coach's ability to recruit and develop the guys he needs. Canning a coach anything short of that is a statement either on the unreasonableness of the administration OR the utter obvious incompetence of the coach.
Great coaches and most good coaches are able to come in and turn things around right away. There's only two players in two years who have shown any kind of improvement, Ozigbo and Jackson. That's a pathetic display of coaching and development.

You guys have these arguments and no one sets what they mean by “right the ship” and “get us back”.

If by that you mean bowl eligibility, that should have happened by now and Frost has failed thus far. No reason that should take three years or more.

If by that you mean ranked, that also should be accomplished by year three. With all these guys. And yes, all the guys on this team are Frost guys now. If they haven't bought in and he’s still playing them, thats his problem, not theirs.

If by that you mean top 15, you’re an idiot with an agenda to be pissed off if you think that should be the standard by year three.

If by that you mean top ten, you are talking 4 or realistically 5 years when your first real class, not the transition class, is seniors.

If you mean winning big ten titles or playing in rose bowls, and competing for playoff spots its going to take 6-7 years.

This is essentially the Dabo model (calm down frost haters its not exact I know....just breathe...)
Dabo inhereted a stronger program, but NU has more brand recognition.

Reactions: timnsun
Great coaches and most good coaches are able to come in and turn things around right away. There's only two players in two years who have shown any kind of improvement, Ozigbo and Jackson. That's a pathetic display of coaching and development.
It hasnt been good Ill agree. But to say those are the only two is a leap of hyperbole.

You guys have these arguments and no one sets what they mean by “right the ship” and “get us back”.

If by that you mean bowl eligibility, that should have happened by now and Frost has failed thus far. No reason that should take three years or more.

If by that you mean ranked, that also should be accomplished by year three. With all these guys. And yes, all the guys on this team are Frost guys now. If they haven't bought in and he’s still playing them, thats his problem, not theirs.

If by that you mean top 15, you’re an idiot with an agenda to be pissed off if you think that should be the standard by year three.

If by that you mean top ten, you are talking 4 or realistically 5 years when your first real class, not the transition class, is seniors.

If you mean winning big ten titles or playing in rose bowls, and competing for playoff spots its going to take 6-7 years.

This is essentially the Dabo model (calm down frost haters its not exact I know....just breathe...)
Dabo inhereted a stronger program, but NU has more brand recognition.
For me, the standard is 9 wins and you should be able to keep your job. You should be able to hit that by year 2. Coaches have taken teams in situations as bad as ours or worse and won a national title by year three, so no it's not out of the question to be top 15 or top 10. Dabo is actually the exception in how long he took to get where he is. Most coaches will actually hit their peak by year 3 or year 4. Year 3 is usually the time where you can tell what a coach's ceiling is going to be.

9 wins and the capability to do better has been kind of the de facto standard for a Nebraska coach and I don't think it should change for Frost. I was excited when Frost came here because I thought he had the ability to meet that standard. I still think he can meet it. I don't think that makes me a Frost hater because I expect 9 wins out of him. I think the people who make excuses for 4 or 5 win seasons actually have less faith in Frost than I do. Frost is better than that and I think he expects himself to be a lot better than that.

Those who “defend” Frost and the coaching staff aren’t necessarily making excuses (although in many instances that could be true), they are trying to comprehend why the turnaround is not blowing up yet. Is it coaching? Sure is... is it lack of buy in? Possibly, although year 2 seems a little weak to claim lack of buy in. Is it development? Yep. Is it lack of depth due to significant losses in the upper classes? Absolutely.

This is off the top of my head. I think it’s a bit short-sighted to sit there and say we suck because Scott Frost and Co.

The coaches have made plenty of mistakes. No doubt. But there are a lot more factors than simply coaching to consider. It’s hard to overcome lack of depth when the coaching sometimes lacks creativity as well. Things should have been better. I believe they will get better. But like @huskerfan1414 said, it’s gonna take longer than most of us want. Be patient. It’ll happen.

In the science of determining the necessary length of time for program improvement, for analyzing individual player development, for calculating the exact number of wins by season to show competency, I think we have our man. He might be a pro setting the lines in Vegas or the guy next door, making bets each week, living the good life.

The presence of "Riley guys" isn't as big if a problem as the overall imbalance left on the roster by the absence of "Riley guys" from the 2017 Class.

Riley signed 20 players that year. He inexplicably undersigned, like he did with all his classes. Of those 20 signees, only 8 will be on the roster by this Spring. Of those 8 remaining players, only 3 will start in 2020.

Let's compare that 2017 class to the same class for Wisconsin.

The Badgers only signed 18 players that year. The include the following:

QB Jack Coan
RB Jonathan Taylor
Starting WR
Starting CB
Now NFL LB Andrew Van Ginkel
Starting TE
3 likely starting OL in 2020

The 2018 class was a transition class with a lot of character reaches who are no longer in Lincoln. The good news is of the remaining players, at least or 6 or 7 of those signees will be starters and another 4 will be in the 2 deep.

The other good news for Nebraska is of the 27 players signed in 2019, the Huskers are going to retain all of them at least thru next season. That hasn't happened in nearly 8 years.

Funny how certain good coaches avoid what looks like a perfect fit.
Funny how some good coaches avoid a certain upgrade in their career.

Now, if every school is the same, every blue blood has 'it', why do texas type blue bloods suffer?
Why is usc currently 74th with only 10 recruits?

Why did SF want to make sure certain things were in place?
Nebraska isnt the only school with a HP or a SP.

So, usc,in a hotbed of recruiting,only 10 guys? Who didnt come to Nebraska? Players and coaches alike?
Now, a coach who wrote years ago about how poor the program had become,and that was when we were winning those 9 games, SF hated what was happening here, and it only got worse before he got here.

Sure, two year miracles,it happens every time,ignore half your great coaches early records,this is Nebraska right? Or, are we texas? Or,usc? People need to think just a little

I respectfully disagree. I'm biting my tongue actually wanting to post instead "your're full of sh##" A LARGE part of how quickly they can turn things around depends on the talent on hand and how it fits what you want to do. Injuries, depth, etc factor in. When you have the number of walk ons in the 2 deep that we've had this past year, there's yer sign. I said it with Riley. I said it with Callahan. I didn't have to say it with Bo because Callahan left him a LOADED cupboard. It takes some time to develop your players for you systems. It ALSO depends some on what scheme you're going to run and how familiar the players are with that scheme. A former Wisconsin player playing in the NFL now said that it took "3 years for us to master that defense" after Wisconsin went from the 4-3 to the 3-4. I don't think our kids learned a damned thing under Diaco. I expect them to make a jump next season on D. We also went from a pro-style WCO to a full bore spread with a freshman QB who sat out his senior year of high school. Then he suffers 2 major injuries and misses a month of practice and games his sophomore year. Nick Saban was 7-6 his first year at Bama and they sure as hell had better talent on hand than we did AND they were keeping the same systems on both sides of the ball.

Sorry, I tried to read that but all I got was "tinfoil hat".
You ever interviewed for a job that you really wanted? The boss asks you to list your best attributes? You don't say underrated freeboard poster, or great backrubber, you say I am motivated, ambitious, and I work great with people. That is manipulation. Frost is interviewing for his next contract every time he gets in front of the media, every time he sits in a recruits home, and everytime he sits down with his coaches. You guys think manipulation is a "conspiracy". Manipulation is the act of creating a narrative that benefits the manipulator...everybody does it, all the time, even to themselves. Even as you disagree with me you are manipulating yourself to uphold the narrative that Frost is a "simple, good ole' Nebraska boy". I hope he isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT