ADVERTISEMENT

Riley departure

Nebraska Fan

Graduate Assistant
Sep 1, 2004
My gut feeling is win or lose the Iowa game MR announces a mutual agreement with Moos he will be leaving Nebraska. Doesn't quit and isn't fired and terms are to be released by the athletic department at their discretion.

Reactions: TrueBigRedFan
It probably depends on how annoyed he is with Nebraska for making him take on Billy Devaney and Diaco. I'm not implying we would be in the title game with Banker and w/o Devaney, but he may feel he was set up to fail by Eichorst.

Reactions: headcard
It probably depends on how annoyed he is with Nebraska for making him take on Billy Devaney and Diaco. I'm not implying we would be in the title game with Banker and w/o Devaney, but he may feel he was set up to fail by Eichorst.

IMO if there is any remorse on the part of Riley it will be on himself for lack of fortitude. I don't know another HC that has allowed an AD to run his program.

In all honesty he is going to have to find a way to patch things up with Banker or it's going to eat at him forever.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
Riley will straight up make Nebraska fire him. He will take every penny he is entitled to. He won't give back one cent. Why would he?
He doesn't need to be fired to have his parachute. Moos doesn't get anything good out of firing Riley but Riley does beed to be replaced.

My gut feeling is win or lose the Iowa game MR announces a mutual agreement with Moos he will be leaving Nebraska. Doesn't quit and isn't fired and terms are to be released by the athletic department at their discretion.

Arent you like the 500th person to float this possibility?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I don't care how nice you are, nobody gives away money that they're entitled to!

Except this guy...

img24982745.jpg

No reason to be dick heads about it. You won, he’s going out in flames. Embarrassed as bad as he can be. And as low as possible. I don’t blame Riley for trying, coming to the Huskers and giving it one last shot at hitting it big. He screwed up, he couldn’t do it and wasn’t the HC for THIS job. But no reason any of us have to ass hats about it. He will go out as humiliated as possible. Hell even the press guys today after the game was asking HIM about the Frost deal and so on....my God. Again, he’s getting fired. No reason at all to throw salt on the wound.

No reason to be dick heads about it. You won, he’s going out in flames. Embarrassed as bad as he can be. And as low as possible. I don’t blame Riley for trying, coming to the Huskers and giving it one last shot at hitting it big. He screwed up, he couldn’t do it and wasn’t the HC for THIS job. But no reason any of us have to ass hats about it. He will go out as humiliated as possible. Hell even the press guys today after the game was asking HIM about the Frost deal and so on....my God. Again, he’s getting fired. No reason at all to throw salt on the wound.
While I certainly don’t enjoy all this losing, I gleefully LOVE to keep taking shots at Riley. The Riley lovers kept banging away at everyone that didn’t agree with them. I could see he was going to go down in flames early on but THEY kept banging away. Now it’s my turn to revel in their misery!

They kept on with Bo this and Bo that. I agree it was time for Bo to leave. He wore out his welcome here. Riley can’t hold a candle to Bo. Bo took over a program that was in the crapper and instantly won 9 and 10 games per year. Now Riley will exit with the program back in the crapper.

I hope the next guy can pull us back out. Let’s get back to winning a bunch of games and playing physical football again. Enough of this powder puff shit!

Reactions: CDMXHusker
Where is any “Riley lover” bagging away for him. Appear they all shut up and gave up themselves. You just want to keep rubbing it, that’s all. No reason to, again your getting what you want. Dudes failing as bad as he could. Again, I don’t blame him for trying. He shouldn’t have, but he did and I don’t blame him. Now he’s got to lay in that bed he made.

Reactions: headcard
I don't think Mike earned it. I don't care about entitled or not, he needs to ask himself if he earned it. I don't respect Mike at all. I don't get respecting someone just because they are nice. The truth is, being 'nice' is more about social manipulation that anything else. Mike stands there like a politician and plays this nice person persona and lots of people fall for it. I think he's a lying piece of garbage for what he's done to the program and how he's mismanaged so much and lied to the fan base. Mike Riley is a disgrace.

LOL...so Riley will be fired, but we just won't use the word "fired", or "terminated". Good for us.

He deserves to be fired. He is terrible at his job. Why does it have to be sugar-coated?
It is absolutely amazing what you can get away with when you are a “nice person”. Ever see a con artist be anything but a nice person when they are setting you up to be fleeced?

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Seems like the best option for Riley. Unless he wants to look like a complete dbag, I would hope he wouldn’t be litigious.

In all honesty, I would think Eichorst’s extension of MR’s contract could be argued to be void. Seeing as Eichorst seems to have had a screw loose. But I suppose he was representing the University Athletic Department at the time. There must be some sort of legal precedent for one drafting a contract whilst in a state of mental incapacitation.

MR is at "best" a marginal HC. But SE is truly a complete and total moron. Hiring a 60 year old HC who's NEVER won diddly squat in cfb for NU was simply outrageous.

I previously thought that NOBODY could be a worse AD than Pedeyshine. But then SE proved me dead wrong.

If Riley would have had a backbone he would have told Ginger to screw off over the Diaco hiring. Ginger would have had a hard time firing him since they were linked together.

While I certainly don’t enjoy all this losing, I gleefully LOVE to keep taking shots at Riley. The Riley lovers kept banging away at everyone that didn’t agree with them. I could see he was going to go down in flames early on but THEY kept banging away. Now it’s my turn to revel in their misery!

They kept on with Bo this and Bo that. I agree it was time for Bo to leave. He wore out his welcome here. Riley can’t hold a candle to Bo. Bo took over a program that was in the crapper and instantly won 9 and 10 games per year. Now Riley will exit with the program back in the crapper.

I hope the next guy can pull us back out. Let’s get back to winning a bunch of games and playing physical football again. Enough of this powder puff shit!
Such vitriol!

I don't think Mike earned it. I don't care about entitled or not, he needs to ask himself if he earned it. I don't respect Mike at all. I don't get respecting someone just because they are nice. The truth is, being 'nice' is more about social manipulation that anything else. Mike stands there like a politician and plays this nice person persona and lots of people fall for it. I think he's a lying piece of garbage for what he's done to the program and how he's mismanaged so much and lied to the fan base. Mike Riley is a disgrace.
I have said this a million times. I have never seen a guy praised so much for being a normal regular person.

This is like praising a guy that shows up to work on time...you are supposed to show up on time.

Seems like the best option for Riley. Unless he wants to look like a complete dbag, I would hope he wouldn’t be litigious.

In all honesty, I would think Eichorst’s extension of MR’s contract could be argued to be void. Seeing as Eichorst seems to have had a screw loose. But I suppose he was representing the University Athletic Department at the time. There must be some sort of legal precedent for one drafting a contract whilst in a state of mental incapacitation.
What is there to be litigious about? He's owed the money and he's going to get every penny of it. And Riley didn't create the asinine notion that every college coach absolutely needs a contract extension every time the Earth makes a lap around the sun - he's just one of many who's going to benefit from it.

Well, a contract is a contract. He didn't come to us begging for a job. NU went after him and he said yes. He's entitled to every dime he is owed according to the contract. Am I happy about it? NO. It is what it is.

What is there to be litigious about? He's owed the money and he's going to get every penny of it. And Riley didn't create the asinine notion that every college coach absolutely needs a contract extension every time the Earth makes a lap around the sun - he's just one of many who's going to benefit from it.
I would call him asking for any money beyond this year litigious. And the contract extension was doctored by a man who, not only has questionable decision-making skills, but also who was fired for (reason?) mere months after granting said contract extension.

I agree, he’ll likely get “every penny” he was contracted to get. At the same time, Nebraska fans should have zero reason to feel bad for the dude. I wish I could be very bad at my job, and walk away one day getting paid millions for the two years after my departure. Because a clownshoe decided to give me the extra few mil for having done nothing.

Well, a contract is a contract. He didn't come to us begging for a job. NU went after him and he said yes. He's entitled to every dime he is owed according to the contract. Am I happy about it? NO. It is what it is.
$ should be deducted from Eichort’s pay/severance.

Riley will straight up make Nebraska fire him. He will take every penny he is entitled to. He won't give back one cent. Why would he?

It will be the best play call he has made at Nebraska. One he realized from the start. And thanks SE for getting the final $$$ done for Smilin Mike.

Puke.

This is why I have no respect for the guy. I could care less that he's nice. He sucks.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
I would call him asking for any money beyond this year litigious. And the contract extension was doctored by a man who, not only has questionable decision-making skills, but also who was fired for (reason?) mere months after granting said contract extension.

I agree, he’ll likely get “every penny” he was contracted to get. At the same time, Nebraska fans should have zero reason to feel bad for the dude. I wish I could be very bad at my job, and walk away one day getting paid millions for the two years after my departure. Because a clownshoe decided to give me the extra few mil for having done nothing.
I'm not telling you how you should "feel" about Riley getting the money he's owed. You are free to be as pissed about it as you want to.

But if you seriously think his contract can be successfully challenged based on the fact that we had a lousy AD, I'm not sure there's any point in continuing this conversation. Keep in mind that about 9 months ago, Lee Barfknecht was absolutely blistering Eichorst for NOT giving Timmy Miles a contract extension while Miles's team was in the middle of a 3-13 stretch and getting eliminated - yet again - in the bunny round round of the Big Ten tournament. There's a good ol' boy system in place that says coaches have to have nearly-automatic contract extensions, or they can't recruit. It doesn't make any sense, but the fact that it's in place and followed nearly religiously isn't Mike Riley's fault.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Yeah, coaches will be lined up 3 deep to coach somewhere that the AD litigates against a fired coach trying to collect on a mutually agreed upon contract...
But Scott Frost is coming. He will be here forever, needs 10 years, and everyone to lay off. The excuses have already started for the next guy. So who cares about any other coaches.

We can easily afford these buy outs. We cannot afford not making these changes. Punishing Riley other than firing him makes no more sense than keeping him on because of the buy out. A graceful transition is the most productive option

Reactions: TrueBigRedFan
Riley did not come to NU - NU came to Riley and as Eichorst said he was selling like never before :)

No matter what kind of job Riley did here - he tried his best the fault lies with Perlman and Eichorst, Perlman retired before he had to pay for his mistake and Eichorst has paid .

Riley could have stayed at Oregon state making a decent salary - he deserves every last cent we owe him

Good Idea. This would be my preference.

If Nebraska tries to get out of paying Mike Riley as agreed, or tries to litigate out of the contract, do you think any other Real Coach would want to put their Trust and Livelihood in the hands of an employer that would try to cheat their employees? Especially the one you would be replacing?

Because rather you like it or not, that is what it would be, and that is exactly how it would be viewed around the country within College Football.

And consider other than the extensive bad PR, what if Nebraska would lose in court? They would be guilty of trying to wrongfully withhold compensation from an employee. Millions of dollars in compensation. How much above the compensation, could the financial damages be that could be awarded to Coach Riley? It's just not worth it. We need to move on.

Just a thought.

Ohh come on, don't be shy...tell us how you really feel! ;)

I really dont care abt the money. It's not mine and never will be. Nu has more than more than enough. If they want to manage it better in the future more power to them. And im not giving the univ or athletic dept a damn dime. Tuition goes up every year. Professors write the $100+ text books and require you to buy them. Tickets are crazy and for decent season tickets you have to donate $1000s, the coaches either say **** the fans or have losing, blowout, seasons.

I am not perfect and have had a number of failures in life, most small, a few significant. I have been fortunate that when I failed, no one took "glee" in it. Our program is bad, Nebraska football is irrelevant, our fan base is miserable and apathetic, and the team is struggling. Reveling in this misery is so far off my radar I can't connect with your post in any way.

If Nebraska tries to get out of paying Mike Riley as agreed, or tries to litigate out of the contract, do you think any other Real Coach would want to put their Trust and Livelihood in the hands of an employer that would try to cheat their employees? Especially the one you would be replacing?

Because rather you like it or not, that is what it would be, and that is exactly how it would be viewed around the country within College Football.

And consider other than the extensive bad PR, what if Nebraska would lose in court? They would be guilty of trying to wrongfully withhold compensation from an employee. Millions of dollars in compensation. How much above the compensation, could the financial damages be that could be awarded to Coach Riley? It's just not worth it. We need to move on.

Just a thought.
I think Mike Riley should feel bad taking a potential 2-year salary after what he was responsible for at Nebraska. And the guy who extendes the contract...was fired. Likely due to incompetence.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT