ADVERTISEMENT

Riley 11:30 Presser

Says he will be splitting up the entire squad into 2 teams, Red and White, and conduct what will basically be 2 different practices. Interesting.

Good press conference.. one of the reporters was kind of a douche, kept going back to questions about TA and the QB depth chart. I guess I thought the reporter was pushing too hard.

Some interesting info from Tommy himself, as to what he was working on and that sort of thing.

I guess he is working on a lot of footwork and taking 5 and 7 step drops from under center.

He also said the coaches told him he won't be a running back, said there might be a few designed plays, or if the pocket breaks down, he can run, but it sounded to me 'reading the tea leaves' if you will, that the QB's are pretty much going to work from within the pocket. Not sure how much shotgun there will be, but they are working on taking snaps from under center.

Some of the other players interviewed I thought were kind of interesting to listen to.

This post was edited on 3/4 11:05 AM by NikkiSixx

Originally posted by NikkiSixx:
Good press conference.. one of the reporters was kind of a douche, kept going back to questions about TA and the QB depth chart. I guess I thought the reporter was pushing too hard.

Some interesting info from Tommy himself, as to what he was working on and that sort of thing.

I guess he is working on a lot of footwork and taking 5 and 7 step drops from under center.

He also said the coaches told him he won't be a running back, said there might be a few designed plays, or if the pocket breaks down, he can run, but it sounded to me 'reading the tea leaves' if you will, that the QB's are pretty much going to work from within the pocket. Not sure how much shotgun there will be, but they are working on taking snaps from under center.

Some of the other players interviewed I thought were kind of interesting to listen to.

I saw on Twitter a reporter stated that Riley said there'd be a 50/50 split in under center vs. shotgun.

Originally posted by St. Anger:

Says he will be splitting up the entire squad into 2 teams, Red and White, and conduct what will basically be 2 different practices. Interesting.
Yep, he also said that's what is scheduled for the first day, and he'll evaluate from there.

On a separate note, WTF to the reporter that asked this...

"Is it within the rules?"

No you dipshit, it's not, we're breaking the rules on day one.
chairshot.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/4 1:54 PM by HuskerTimOmaha

Originally posted by NikkiSixx:

Definitely interesting. I think the type of offense we run this year is going to be one of the more intriguing things. It's great to say that TA will not be a "running back" but at the same time, if TA is going to be the starter, he has to makes huge strides in the passing game (which he could since he will be getting real coaching for the first time in his college career) in order for a pocket passing game to be successful. The TA we saw last year won't win many games with his arm.

Westercamp when asked about transitioning to the new staff: "It's a process."
3dgrin.r191677.gif

TA is going to get better, but I also don't think he is the starter when BIG starts. Most accurate / best decision maker will be out there.

Originally posted by WHCSC:

3dgrin.r191677.gif
"But the staff is moving around well between meetings and such"

CMR really emphasized the importance of game-time experience, and he did that in the radio interview the other day as well. If we're going to have a new qb this year, than they will have to knock some socks off in practice. Meaning if two players show about the same potential/ability, the one with game-time experience is going to get the nod.

One of the things I liked hearing was that there was going to heightened seriousness about practices and getting better. TA made a comment on strength and conditioning testing that was just completed, and that some great improvements were made. I find it ridiculous that great improvements can be made in a relatively short time, in the same way I find it ridiculous that one of the team captains doesn't take strength and conditioning seriously until after his last game as a Husker.

Originally posted by jimbosc:

Originally posted by WHCSC:

3dgrin.r191677.gif
"But the staff is moving around well between meetings and such"
He's saying some good things. He's swimming in it, said a few things he probably wishes he could have back, but for the most part he's saying some good things.

Originally posted by nebcountry:

CMR really emphasized the importance of game-time experience, and he did that in the radio interview the other day as well. If we're going to have a new qb this year, than they will have to knock some socks off in practice. Meaning if two players show about the same potential/ability, the one with game-time experience is going to get the nod.

One of the things I liked hearing was that there was going to heightened seriousness about practices and getting better. TA made a comment on strength and conditioning testing that was just completed, and that some great improvements were made. I find it ridiculous that great improvements can be made in a relatively short time, in the same way I find it ridiculous that one of the team captains doesn't take strength and conditioning seriously until after his last game as a Husker.
You're taking that the wrong way. This is what gets said EVERY year about winter conditioning. They make it sound like this year it was just a watershed conditioning session and all these monumental improvements were made.

Somebody would have said that stuff regardless of whether there was a new staff. You interview kids about working out, what do you think they're gonna say?

"Hey did you guys work out hard and get better during winter conditioning?"
"Nope. We're basically all the same. We'll probably have exactly the same record next year."

Originally posted by nebcountry:

TA doesn't have much experience being a pocket passer, in fact his experience could hurt from bad habits developed under Bo and Beck and Barney.

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

TA doesn't have much experience being a pocket passer, in fact his experience could hurt from bad habits developed under Bo and Beck and Barney.
I've always thought that his lack of height hurts him as a pocket passer. I think he would do better rolling out.

How much is there to this whole "height" thing at QB? It seems to me the whole concept is a little overcooked and doesn't play out so much in reality. TA can't be that much shorter than Russel Wilson, right? Not saying Wilson is elite in the pocket but you don't get to being a high level NFL QB without being atleast pretty good in that area.

I liked the way hcmr handled the questions. repeated them so everyone could hear what was asked and seem like he didn't mind being up there

Originally posted by Lincoln100:
TA is going to get better, but I also don't think he is the starter when BIG starts. Most accurate / best decision maker will be out there.

Yes, I too think the chance is strong that a two year starter with more than a winning record will be displaced by someone with no in-game college experience.

Ha ha ha. Well, I guess that settles it, TA is guaranteed to be the starter until he graduates. I mean, he has to, because he has more experience. Solid post.

Ha ha ha. Well, I guess that settles it, TA is guaranteed to be the starter until he graduates. I mean, he has to, because he has more experience. Solid post.
There are obviously no guarantees in the situation. I'd chalk up what you wrote to bad reading comprehension, but I think you just decided to be snide about things. But if I had to bet 100 dollars on whether Tommy finishes his career as the starter vs. a backup usurping him, I know which way I'd bet. As for Stanton, he was #3 after a walk-on last year. I'd love for Johnny to live up to his talent and make a run at TA, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes Lincoln; if only all 11 positions could be that way; besides qb and center. There are other things that could be missed from Bo's realm; but I bet HCMR and staff and AD department do as well or better 95% of the time. I too have been challenged on thinking it should be about getting kids maximum reps and fair opportunity ( HCMR is making two teams to get it, we just learned ) - I am a TA fan; think he could play to an AA level - but it wasn't happening without the new coaches IMO. GBR

Why is it that some folks always think the number two guy is better (or could be better, if he just got more reps)?

"

>> Tommy Armstrong carries himself like the starting quarterback of Nebraska football. That's because he has been for two years. He was comfortable - not anxious - with the media Wednesday. And the way Riley talked about Armstrong specifically would lead anyone to believe that he's as big of a frontrunner this year as he was last year, when there was virtually no question he'd take over.

The current backups - Ryker Fyfe, Johnny Stanton, A.J. Bush, Zack Darlington and Tyson Broekemeier - will have to throw the heck out of it to knock Armstrong from that top perch, and Armstrong might be a captain by the end of camp, if Riley chooses to let the team vote on it then. "

This whole blurb tells me that unlike most fans, Riley isn't going to unseat a 2 year starter at QB because of some projected upside, whether its cause a kid has Elite 11 credentials or a heart forged in the Nebraska walk-on program. All things being equal, experience will be valued. Of course Johnny or Ryker could make things unequal by showing something on the field.

Link

I like TA, but his accuracy and decision making leave a lot to be desired. There are some talented qb's on the roster. Having a real qb coach ewill no doubt help. I don't care who starts, but td to int's and decisions need to get much better.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't care who the starting qb is, just so long as the coaching staff is making a informed decision based on a comprehensive assessment of who will be best.

Maybe others heard it differently, but CMR's tone changes when he is stressing his perception of how important game-time experience is.

They'll start practice without pads. The qb is holding the ball. A receiver runs a route, just like it is on paper, at "half-speed". Then the qb throws the ball to him. Next they move up to having pads on. The qb is holding ball, receiver running the route, yada, yada, yada. At no point during the practices is Shilique Calhoun going to line up on the other side of the ball, waiting to bull-rush and then squash the qb like a bug. Tommy Armstrong is either going to have to look not so good, or someone else is going to have to look REALLY good.

One thing to remember is, the last staff was very afraid to let TA throw over the middle. HCMR isn't aware of this problem, yet.

Coach did say he wanted to see what all the throws were that the QB's could make. He'll figure it out pretty quickly what the guys' different strengths and weaknesses are in that QB group.

Maybe we could get a pinned thread about which current backup everyone thinks should be starting at QB. Perhaps this would help keep all other threads from getting cluttered up with the ridiculousness by you geniuses.

Originally posted by suhnami:
Maybe we could get a pinned thread about which current backup everyone thinks should be starting at QB. Perhaps this would help keep all other threads from getting cluttered up with the ridiculousness by you geniuses.
I haven't seen one person naming a backup starter. Not one. What I HAVE seen is a bunch of people happy to see that there is likely going to be an honest QB competition this year. I don't think many people trusted Bo's QB choices after seeing him trot out an injured TM against Minnesota a season ago. IF TA is the starter game 1 I think that everybody will accept that he's the best we have. I don't think Riley will be as stubborn about sitting a guy if he struggles though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT