ADVERTISEMENT

Riding the OL

i8uP

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 2, 2014
Once again this team is positioned to go as far as the OL can take us. Should be a strength of every Nebraska FB team forever and always.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Regarding Raiola, he and the OL would be the biggest question mark on the team right now and at least until the first game is over. He could be good, he could be mediocre or he could be bad. No one knows. More than likely though we won't really know until some games into the season. The OL is never perfect out of the starting gate. It usually takes a few games for the OL to gel and get it together.

I do think It was a strange hire when Frost went with an unproven OL coach given how much Frost's success will depend on OL performance this season. Frost seemed to hire experienced proven coaches for the other offensive coaching positions. So why take such a risk on the OL?

Last edited:
I’m not sure how anyone could have an informed opinion of Donovan when our offensive line hasn’t even played a game under his coaching.
Several of the guys on this board, even last year, made the valid point NU is very young, age wise, to be playing key positions on the OL. The only relatively veteran line NU has had under Frost was Year 1 with Foster, Farmer and Farniok.

This year that has started to change. Looking at a "random" two-deep OL, NU is finally catching up age wise. Talent or performance level notwithstanding, at least NU could have some older guys in the trenches.

A depth chart won't be released for a few weeks, but the 10 most probable in the two-deep are, including their age and experience.

Teddy 19. Started 2 games prior to injury;

Piper 21, started a couple games prior to being replaced;
Corcoran 21, started multiple games prior to injury;
Lutovsky 21, has not started and rarely played;

Banks 22, filled in on occassion;
Benhart 22, started multiple games;

Anthony 23, started a couple games at Okie St.;
Bando 23, filled in on occassion;
Hixson 23, started multiple games at Guard and is now a Center;
Williams 23, started a few games at Northern Colorado.

There are at least 7 players who've started games in their career as OL.

I hear alot of folks complain about oline..usc, texas, even heard ohio state fans say maybe our skill positions can over come the oline. maybe there's a shortage for the pass happy linemen types...

as opposed to where milt just built olinemen and reloaded like john wick, when we actually won alot and ran the ball

Regarding Raiola, he and the OL would be the biggest question mark on the team right now and at least until the first game is over. He could be good, he could be mediocre or he could be bad. No one knows. More than likely though we won't really know until some games into the season. The OL is never perfect out of the starting gate. It usually takes a few games for the OL to gel and get it together.

I do think It was a strange hire when Frost went with an unproven OL coach given how much Frost's success will depend on OL performance this season. Frost seemed to hire experienced proven coaches for the other offensive coaching positions. So why take such a risk on the OL?
Maybe he was trying a backdoor move on his nephew 5 star QB?

My question is… was he unproven? What he did for UCF was something to notice, it’s that it didn’t translate to the B1G 10, right?

Greg Austin was a hell of an O-line man for us, he battled injuries and played through them as best he could for us, but for whatever reason he couldn’t, as an O-Line coach, replicate what he did at UCF for us in the B1G Ten…

Greg Austin was a hell of an O-line man for us, he battled injuries and played through them as best he could for us, but for whatever reason he couldn’t, as an O-Line coach, replicate what he did at UCF for us in the B1G Ten…
I wouldn't say he was a hell of an O-lineman. Tough kid that battled, but that is about as far as I would go. His coaching is the same. Pretty good at a lower level, but in the Big 10 where you have to have really physical lineman that was not his game.

So my question to you is did you really watch the OL play at UCF or are you just assuming it was good? Because it was not. Really watch some film and then get back to me.

So my question to you is did you really watch the OL play at UCF or are you just assuming it was good? Because it was not. Really watch some film and then get back to me.
UCF’s Oline did enough to allow Milton and the very fast skill guys to effectively operate in league that didn’t feature stout defenses. His approach didn’t work in a league where moving defenders is required.

Reactions: keilwitzg
RecruitingAnalyst_National / Greg Austin has no business coaching O-line in the college ranks. Pee wee league would be too much for him even.

Listening to Callahan this morning, sounds like defensive front is kicking the crap out of the Oline. Not very encouraging, notwithstanding that defenses usually start out ahead.

Listening to Callahan this morning, sounds like defensive front is kicking the crap out of the Oline. Not very encouraging, notwithstanding that defenses usually start out ahead.
Not really a surprise, I think our d-line is going to be pretty good. Our o-line has obviously not been a position of strength, hopefully new coaching will lead to improvement, but it's not going to happen overnight.

They won't face a single team with the pass rush they see in practice unless they play Ohio State in the conference championship game.

The bigger concern is getting guys healthy enough to practice the new scheme some before the season starts. And getting the injured guys physically ready before Oklahoma.

They won't face a single team with the pass rush they see in practice unless they play Ohio State in the conference championship game.

The bigger concern is getting guys healthy enough to practice the new scheme some before the season starts. And getting the injured guys physically ready before Oklahoma.
Is that pass rush we have in theory going to show up in games? I hope you are right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT