Ricketts says undocumented immigrants can’t get Covid vaccine.

bigredboy79

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2005
So apparently undocumented immigrants, who are in our community, packing plants, and farms, won’t be allowed to get the vaccine. That makes total sense, because I am sure they can’t catch and spread Covid.

I don’t care what your stance is on immigration, this is just a stupid and inhuman position. The goal should be to vaccinate everybody in the community, period.

scopeandtime

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Seems like a really great move from a community spread perspective. o_O

Just means they will have to wait until end phase when gen pop gets them and they can go to their doctors and get it. Sucks for the at-risk immigrants, but I guess if you are anti-immigrant, you are a-ok with them dying, lol.

Also, lol at this response:

lifer56

Gold Member
May 3, 2005
When cynical, racist, ignorant hyper-partisanship >>>>>>> sound public policy . . .

- 66% of Nebraska meat workers are undocumented
- 69% of undocumented people are essential workers

Husker Hank

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2009
So apparently undocumented immigrants, who are in our community, packing plants, and farms, won’t be allowed to get the vaccine. That makes total sense, because I am sure they can’t catch and spread Covid.

I don’t care what your stance is on immigration, this is just a stupid and inhuman position. The goal should be to vaccinate everybody in the community, period.

Thay can have mine.

Reactions: spencerhfd

Red_Hack

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 20, 2005
I am ok with this. If they want they can pay to get it. Has no impact on me, once I am vaccinated.

I would be ok with them getting it too. But only after citizens were done.

I really thought I read, is no free vaccines for undocumented. Not a ban on them getting it. So a hundred bucks or so out of pocket. If I was not eligible I would pay for it, in 2 seconds.

williamsonframe

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2016
Nebraska
I am ok with this. If they want they can pay to get it. Has no impact on me, once I am vaccinated.

I really thought I read, is no free vaccines for undocumented. Not a ban on them getting it. So a hundred bucks or so out of pocket. If I was not eligible I would pay for it, in 2 seconds.
Good answer.

kidofSN

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
Nebraska governor says undocumented workers at meatpacking plants will NOT be eligible to receive COVID vaccines

That was the headline

Red_Hack

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 20, 2005
The most tragic part is how nobody can stop these illegals from coming in and forcing these poor business owners to hire them illegally and pay them substandard wages, making the owners richer than Jesus.
Sure we can. Fine the business that hires them. A lot. We have laws. We choose not to enforce them, then blame the immigrants for what the govt does to us by not enforcing the laws.

steinek11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
Sure we can. Fine the business that hires them. A lot. We have laws. We choose not to enforce them, then blame the immigrants for what the govt does to us by not enforcing the laws.
Yes dear, my comment was tongue in cheek

Reactions: Red_Hack

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2001

Good for Rickets.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017

This. Plus we're talking about roughly 60k people or 3% of the population. Just something to get triggered about for no real reason.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
What percentage of businesses hire undocumented workers with fake documentation that they have no reason to suspect as being fake and follow all hiring due diligence guidelines vs intentionally hiring undocumented workers?

Dec 1, 2019
What percentage of businesses hire undocumented workers with fake documentation that they have no reason to suspect as being fake and follow all hiring due diligence guidelines vs intentionally hiring undocumented workers?
That’s a really good question. That would be a heck of a study if someone could pull it off. As you no doubt have already guessed, getting an honest answer would prove difficult.

Edit: changed real answer to honest.

Reactions: Jim14510

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
That’s a really good question. That would be a heck of a study if someone could pull it off. As you no doubt have already guessed, getting a real answer would prove difficult.
Know someone this happened to. Did everything by the books still got a hefty fine when INS came through. It was actually the reporting that put INS on to them because they were watching for specific fake/stolen SS#'s.

Dec 1, 2019
Know someone this happened to. Did everything by the books still got a hefty fine when INS came through. It was actually the reporting that put INS on to them because they were watching for specific fake/stolen SS#'s.

I feel for a business owner who is trying to do the right thing and still gets busted. Even from a human perspective of not treating someone with suspicion just because of their skin color.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
I feel for a business owner who is trying to do the right thing and still gets busted. Even from a human perspective of not treating someone with suspicion just because of their skin color.
Go through something like that as a business owner then have two applicants. One white one Mexican. Are you going to be able to still look past skin color?

WesternNebraskan

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2004
W. Nebraska
When cynical, racist, ignorant hyper-partisanship >>>>>>> sound public policy . . .

- 66% of Nebraska meat workers are undocumented
- 69% of undocumented people are essential workers
66%? Aren't there laws against this and employers shut down/fined? Pete may have bigger issues here than playing God in this case.

ScarletNCream

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2007
I’m really not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand it doesn’t feel right that someone is here illegally should have access to something that is federally funded (taxes) before me.

On the human side, my life is not more valuable than someone’s and my health shouldn’t be prioritized over someone just because I was born here and here legally.

Im cool with either way

Reactions: nelsonj22

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
I’m really not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand it doesn’t feel right that someone is here illegally should have access to something that is federally funded (taxes) before me.

On the human side, my life is not more valuable than someone’s and my health shouldn’t be prioritized over someone just because I was born here and here legally.

Im cool with either way
Yeah I gotta admit I'm torn for the exact same reasons.

I'd probably be ok with the idea that they can occupy the same spot in line (aka, old first, etc), but maybe it's not free to them?

The virus doesn't care about your immigration status. If the point of the vaccine is to stop the virus, then it doesn't matter how you got here.

But I can totally appreciate the argument of a government funded benefit going to someone here illegally before a citizen is a bad look.

Is Ricketts saying they can never get the vaccine? Or is he saying, "Back of the line"? Or just not free from the gov?

LandoPower

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah I gotta admit I'm torn for the exact same reasons.

I'd probably be ok with the idea that they can occupy the same spot in line (aka, old first, etc), but maybe it's not free to them?

The virus doesn't care about your immigration status. If the point of the vaccine is to stop the virus, then it doesn't matter how you got here.

But I can totally appreciate the argument of a government funded benefit going to someone here illegally before a citizen is a bad look.

Is Ricketts saying they can never get the vaccine? Or is he saying, "Back of the line"? Or just not free from the gov?
Should be both. Back of the line and not Free if you're an illegal

huskerj12

Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2007
This is ridiculous. A pandemic has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship. All this does is keep the virus spreading around longer and give people even more of a reason to fear and demonize undocumented people.