ADVERTISEMENT

Richt stepping down at Miami

Were we a finalist for any of there signees???? BC those kids can get out of their scholarship now.

I have always thought that Richt was overrated and that his teams at Georgia routinely underperformed, based on the kinds of recruits he was able to get. I thought it was a head-scratcher when Miami hired him three years ago. Why hire a perennial second or third place in your conference finisher at a really great place like Georgia to bring a school like Miami back to dominance? When did Richt ever field a dominant team?

Right now Miami is trying to find that "it" coach, the "next Saban", to right the ship. Their past several coaches have just brought them mediocrity. And their gut told them Richt had brought them as far as he was going to. And I agree with that. So who do they get? Who is our there who can right this ship? Who knows?

I hope they languish in mediocrity for the next 45 decades.

This is really surprising. His statement is pretty much boilerplate so it makes me wonder what was really going on behind the scenes down there.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see who they get. It seems the administration wants to clean up the thug image and then you have boosters and alumni who want a return to the "glory days". I think it's going to be a tougher job to fill then people think.

Last edited:
This actually doesn’t sound like he was forced out as much as he just actually stepped down.

Cristobal has a 10 million dollar buy out at Oregon, he is fantastic as a recruiter but doesn’t appear to be any better of a coach than Richt was IMO.

One of the out there rumors was Rex Ryan which would be hilarious
I agree...I think Mark was just done. I bet he thought he would love it there but ended up not loving it like he had hoped he would...and if you don't love what you do AND you don't need the money...we would all quit

Reactions: dinglefritz
Me too. I hate Miami. My hope is that they hire Houston Nutt or Dave Wanstedt. Lol
Bo seemed to like some guys with questionable character and no doubt he could recruit from his car at the U..... Put Bo in Miami with Beck as his OC and they would win at least 8 games every year.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Bo seemed to like some guys with questionable character and no doubt he could recruit from his car at the U..... Put Bo in Miami with Beck as his OC and they would win at least 8 games every year.
In that crappy conference Bo would be 9 wins every year without a doubt and without ever taking a plane to recruit.

It was a head scratcher that they hired him to begin with. His 14 year body of work at UGA showed that no matter how much talent he had, his teams were going to find a way to lose 3 or 4 games every year while playing in the SEC Least division.

Were we a finalist for any of there signees???? BC those kids can get out of their scholarship now.
They have a 4*, 6'3" receiver (JeremiahPayton) who got offers from everybody but us, but it seems he committed to the school, not the coach. We offered Cameron Williams and Jahfari Harvey, both 4* DEs. I remember Chins was pretty hot for Harvey. We offered Te'Cory Couch and Keontra Smith, both 4* DBs.

I have always thought that Richt was overrated and that his teams at Georgia routinely underperformed, based on the kinds of recruits he was able to get. I thought it was a head-scratcher when Miami hired him three years ago. Why hire a perennial second or third place in your conference finisher at a really great place like Georgia to bring a school like Miami back to dominance? When did Richt ever field a dominant team?

Right now Miami is trying to find that "it" coach, the "next Saban", to right the ship. Their past several coaches have just brought them mediocrity. And their gut told them Richt had brought them as far as he was going to. And I agree with that. So who do they get? Who is our there who can right this ship? Who knows?
Kind of hamstrung by adminstration too, imo.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Honestly, especially in this day and age of huge$$ contracts, I am surprised that any coach resigns unless there's something really bad about to be revealed.....step down and save face or we'll expose this and you'll never coach again. I would think all contracts have a sweet termination package. Unless you have a complete idiot for an agent.

Forced out after 3 seasons? Ridiculous, guy is far better than their past 4 or 5 coaches.

Yeah but thats not saying much. Richt imo is just an above average coach. Same as he was at Georgia. You aren't winning anything of relevance with him as a HC imo. Nice guy but just not THAT guy when it comes to coaching.

Being better than the last few U coaches is kinda like being the tallest midget.

Holla

Reactions: Hoosker Du
People on Twitter are wishing for Miami to hire Mike Leach. I hate Miami, but I love Leach and would begrudgingly love to see him there. He and his system would be so awesome down there.

I really want to see Mike Leach go Florida Stanley.

Not a total surprise on the choice, but I don't see this going well unless he has a hands off approach to coaching the defense.

He's from Omaha... maybe he wants to just chill and watch Nebraska erupt all over the B10...

He has to have family here and is maybe secretly a NU fan?!

Yeah but thats not saying much. Richt imo is just an above average coach. Same as he was at Georgia. You aren't winning anything of relevance with him as a HC imo. Nice guy but just not THAT guy when it comes to coaching.

Being better than the last few U coaches is kinda like being the tallest midget.

Holla
He had them ranked number 2 in the country at one point last year. He got them to be relevant in only his second season. He had a down year this year when there was a lot of hype around his team but I gotta say it's nuts to fire a guy for one down year when he's had a career of putting together very good teams. He's an alum and picked the Miami job over 4 or 5 other places. If he has any desire to coach again he will be hired in a heart beat after next year.

He had them ranked number 2 in the country at one point last year. He got them to be relevant in only his second season. He had a down year this year when there was a lot of hype around his team but I gotta say it's nuts to fire a guy for one down year when he's had a career of putting together very good teams. He's an alum and picked the Miami job over 4 or 5 other places. If he has any desire to coach again he will be hired in a heart beat after next year.

Mike Riley had both Nebraska (in his 2nd season also) and Oregon State at 7th at one point, Pelini got NU to 5th.

Georgia has only got better since Richt was gone, I suspect Miami will be the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT