ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule PC

he's saying all the right things.. the focus on family and how he expanded on that and how they support other athletes and such, that was impactful to me.. it's one thing to say the right thing, but it's another to follow through with actions.. his actions back up his words and that is going to pay dividends down the road.

impressive press conference.
Let's not drink too much Kool-Aid. Several of these family members will be orphaned by July or sooner.

Let's not drink too much Kool-Aid. Several of these family members will be orphaned by July or sooner.
agree.. esp with 40 new guys and the walk on program numbers likely to come down some as well.

All kidding aside, I feel like even with the orphaning of some of these kids, the program will still be better off simply because of the competition that will be happening, eventually leading to the cuts.

So in short, looks like I’m still drinking the koolaid.

““I’m calling it — the fastest class in America,” 247Sports Director of Scouting Andrew Ivins said on the 247Sports National Signing Day Show on Wednesday. “When Matt Rhule was at Baylor, they recruited traits. At this past NFL Scouting Combine, two of the top three 40-yard dash guys were guys Matt Rhule recruited at Baylor. The third guy was one Rhule almost flipped — ended up going to UTSA…It’s just speed, right? What we’ve seen from Matt Rhule since he arrived there, is everything we expected. There’s headliners. They’re fast.”
Don't forget the 47' triple jump and long jumps. When guys hit certain numbers, Ruhle starts to drool...

So in short, looks like I’m still drinking the koolaid.
[/QUOTE]
It has to happen. We're not running a charity home for boys. You got to earn your keep.

Reactions: timnsun
he's saying all the right things.. the focus on family and how he expanded on that and how they support other athletes and such, that was impactful to me.. it's one thing to say the right thing, but it's another to follow through with actions.. his actions back up his words and that is going to pay dividends down the road.

impressive press conference.
Riley 'said all the right things' and was legendary with his 'player development', and it was obviously pretty embarrassing.

Haven't cracked a Top 20 recruiting class since..... Bo?

Think Rhule did pretty well with the short time he had (shoot he was Slightly better than Deion!), but he's done NOTHING of substance unless he wins, and he's gonna need talent to do that. Gonna need to somehow transform Below Average into Above Average...

Reactions: moralvictories
Riley 'said all the right things' and was legendary with his 'player development', and it was obviously pretty embarrassing.

Haven't cracked a Top 20 recruiting class since..... Bo?

Think Rhule did pretty well with the short time he had (shoot he was Slightly better than Deion!), but he's done NOTHING of substance unless he wins, and he's gonna need talent to do that. Gonna need to somehow transform Below Average into Above Average...
Wow, tough crowd… the signs were there with Riley, who hadn’t done it anywhere. As an optimist, I thought he would get it done. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

At least Rhule has shown the ability to turn things around, both at temple and at Baylor. To say he’s done NOTHING is accurate in that he hasn’t won any games here. But all the things he has said and done so far have been impressive to say the least.

Wow, tough crowd… the signs were there with Riley, who hadn’t done it anywhere. As an optimist, I thought he would get it done. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

At least Rhule has shown the ability to turn things around, both at temple and at Baylor. To say he’s done NOTHING is accurate in that he hasn’t won any games here. But all the things he has said and done so far have been impressive to say the least.
Riley was all hopeful optimism throwing a dart at the dart board, but over 95% of the fan base knew this was a bad hire and would put the program back 4 years..

Anyone would disagree is a rileymastorbator…

Riley was all hopeful optimism throwing a dart at the dart board, but over 95% of the fan base knew this was a bad hire and would put the program back 4 years..

lol, that was not the case at all.. this board was filled with Riley lovers who insisted that Riley was 'killing it' with his recruiting.. the group think on this board was so pro Riley and anyone who questioned it was immediately shut down.. and it was the same group of individuals, who are part of the same circus act here over and over again.

lol, that was not the case at all.. this board was filled with Riley lovers who insisted that Riley was 'killing it' with his recruiting.. the group think on this board was so pro Riley and anyone who questioned it was immediately shut down.. and it was the same group of individuals, who are part of the same circus act here over and over again.
To a large degree you’re right. I certainly was one of them, and I’ll own it. But early in his 3rd season I, and most others who had placed their hope in Riley, were done with him. Just took us longer to get there.

So now I ask you, because we were wrong about Riley, does that mean we can’t be excited about Rhule?

Just curious what kind of fan I need to be to meet your standards. I know I should never question your wisdom. But what else?

Wow, your memory is sure different than mine. I recall this board was filled with mostly people (like me) who were thinking wtf after a 4-day "coaching search" yielded an aging 50% coach running a WCO. Even after squeaking into the bowl game and winning very few people thought we would ever turn the corner with him.

Most all of us drank the Frost Kool aid, no doubt, at least for awhile. But I just don't remember a lot of love for HCMR(1) except for a few perpetual sunshine pumpers.

Reported!

Also, why is the Boz sitting at the back table with Trev? My screen is a little fuzzy…
Wagner was sitting in the back with Trev. That’s what I like about Wagner. He’s equally as comfortable meeting with corporate suits as he is at a tractor pull.

Reactions: mgbreis
This guy. I mean, I'm trying to stay calm (don't drink the koolaid).... BUT OH MY GAWD I LOVE THIS GUY! I'm getting kind of emotional... gonna need a minute here. If we find out later that he's a tool it will be one of the bigger let downs of my life.
I admit I have been impressed so far with what Rhule has accomplished, BUT, before I go whole hog I need to see him coach some Husker games

This msg board was never pro Riley. A few pro riley people were vocal and then disappeared when their boy was shit, like the rest of us had been saying all along.
Some of us including myself bought the "he'll be better at NU because of our resources". For his second year he was. I think he's a very good x's and o's coach but lacked the ability to motivate his players and was probably not an aggressive enough recruiter. Personally I will believe til I die that IF Eichorst hadn't forced him to fire Banker and hire that nimrod DC that he would have easily had us bowl eligible that last year. Soooo...that at the very least would have made him a better coach than Frost. :(

Some of us including myself bought the "he'll be better at NU because of our resources". For his second year he was. I think he's a very good x's and o's coach but lacked the ability to motivate his players and was probably not an aggressive enough recruiter. Personally I will believe til I die that IF Eichorst hadn't forced him to fire Banker and hire that nimrod DC that he would have easily had us bowl eligible that last year. Soooo...that at the very least would have made him a better coach than Frost. :(
The Banker firing was huge mistake. The Davis twins were prototype DTs in a 4-3. We got Diaco after UCONN, one stop away from his success at ND. Should have been clear that his Notre Dame D was a one off. When there is elite talent available, the defensive alignment is less of a deal.

I think he would have done better if he had kept Banker. However, we were never going to compete for conference championships or ever be more than a middle of the pack team in the B1G as long as we had Mike Riley at the helm.

Eh… if I remember correctly Riley definitely ‘turned things around’ @ OSU (OrSU), largely because of his ‘Development’ skills…

My point has been and will continue to be this- we’ve garnered roughly (roughly) the same talent yearly since Osborne, with the notable exception of Cally, which at the time was a disaster, but there’s no one here who wouldn’t have traded that for anyone since. We traded a super talented team, poorly coached, for what I’d consider to be an unmitigated disaster since then.

Bo looks like a f’ing genius compared to the last Decade. Anyone say otherwise.

We’ve had a handful for four star athletes with a whole bunch of lesser talent every year, but no true Elite talent, until recent transfer portal acquisitions. Star rank isn’t ‘all-telling’ by any stretch, I get that, but it’s the best measure of talent that there is, otherwise.

Recruiting class this year is a standard deviation better than average, but we’ve got a long ways to go before we compete for Big10 titles, IMHO.

We’ve all seen the difference on the field, and on the scoreboard. And it’s not just DEVELOPMENT. Other teams have very simply been Bigger, Faster, and just Better.

‘Better’ can arguably be Developed.

Bigger and Faster?

Eh… if I remember correctly Riley definitely ‘turned things around’ @ OSU (OrSU), largely because of his ‘Development’ skills…

My point has been and will continue to be this- we’ve garnered roughly (roughly) the same talent yearly since Osborne, with the notable exception of Cally, which at the time was a disaster, but there’s no one here who wouldn’t have traded that for anyone since. We traded a super talented team, poorly coached, for what I’d consider to be an unmitigated disaster since then.

Bo looks like a f’ing genius compared to the last Decade. Anyone say otherwise.

We’ve had a handful for four star athletes with a whole bunch of lesser talent every year, but no true Elite talent, until recent transfer portal acquisitions. Star rank isn’t ‘all-telling’ by any stretch, I get that, but it’s the best measure of talent that there is, otherwise.

Recruiting class this year is a standard deviation better than average, but we’ve got a long ways to go before we compete for Big10 titles, IMHO.

We’ve all seen the difference on the field, and on the scoreboard. And it’s not just DEVELOPMENT. Other teams have very simply been Bigger, Faster, and just Better.

‘Better’ can arguably be Developed.

Bigger and Faster?
Dennis Erickson had more success at Oregon State than Mike Riley ever did.

I think he would have done better if he had kept Banker. However, we were never going to compete for conference championships or ever be more than a middle of the pack team in the B1G as long as we had Mike Riley at the helm.
I think his recruiting would have kept us from winning the conference as well. That said, it was better than what we got with Frost. Amazing.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Waverly would be the perfect place to live if you worked at memorial stadium. Easy peasy and can get over to Omaha faster on the weekends.
Waverly is a great town. The park is named after my dad. Rhule’s family is the new First family.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wow, your memory is sure different than mine. I recall this board was filled with mostly people (like me) who were thinking wtf after a 4-day "coaching search" yielded an aging 50% coach running a WCO. Even after squeaking into the bowl game and winning very few people thought we would ever turn the corner with him.

Most all of us drank the Frost Kool aid, no doubt, at least for awhile. But I just don't remember a lot of love for HCMR(1) except for a few perpetual sunshine pumpers.
true, in that just after he was hired people were like wtf, who is this guy?

but the first 2 years on this board were nothing but fans jumping on the MR train, mainly because he was so 'nice' and people liked him.. it was only in year 3 when things started falling apart.. of course everyone has a different perspective, but I recall that this board was massively pro Riley those first couple of years and if you questioned him or the whole Calabraska recruiting thing going on, well there was a lot of hate thrown your way.. most everyone was on board with those things..

I personally just see the same stuff going on once again..

I'm hopeful that we have a different outcome this time.

The general trend of hope in Nebraska coaches the last 20 years is that each shows something that was a strength that had become a critical flaw of the old coach.

Callahan was able to recruit when Frank had basically given into the Lincoln high school circuit. Pelini was able to develop players who were under rated or out of position reasonably well. Riley was able to get big name guy’s interested in a dying brand when again Bo was fighting Toledo for safeties on signing day.

Frost basically was able to say a bunch of things from the old days that rustled Jimmie’s in coffee shops across western Nebraska.

However none of them seemed to be as complete, organized, on the same pace as rhule is keeping in his early returns.

With the caliber of players we seem to be getting, if the on the field stuff is decent we should be a 9-10 win team in short order and for the long haul. Hopefully we can turn that into a championship caliber team over time.

But we have a fair bit of time before we see how that football stuff turns out.

Hard to see any mention of Diaco w/o being reminded of “the quote”….

“There’s no reasonable reason - considering where the defensive program was at - to believe that they should be able to do everything that needs to be done in the game, to win the game,” Diaco said. “The strain was spectacular, right? So we could just go back and look at the game.

“Do you see the strain? Do you see it, or no? Is it just something I’m missing? You can’t play the game like that and win. Right? So the things happened in the game created an impossible circumstance to win.”

oh Bobby

“There’s no reasonable reason - considering where the defensive program was at - to believe that they should be able to do everything that needs to be done in the game, to win the game,” Diaco said. “The strain was spectacular, right? So we could just go back and look at the game.

“Do you see the strain? Do you see it, or no? Is it just something I’m missing? You can’t play the game like that and win. Right? So the things happened in the game created an impossible circumstance to win.”

oh Bobby
What a doofus

It’s ok to be excited about things fellas. If you don’t have the mental toughness to handle emotional roller coasters when things don’t work out sports is not for you.
Yeah, somebody like that would better spend his time on penny stocks and crypto-currency.

true, in that just after he was hired people were like wtf, who is this guy?

but the first 2 years on this board were nothing but fans jumping on the MR train, mainly because he was so 'nice' and people liked him.. it was only in year 3 when things started falling apart.. of course everyone has a different perspective, but I recall that this board was massively pro Riley those first couple of years and if you questioned him or the whole Calabraska recruiting thing going on, well there was a lot of hate thrown your way.. most everyone was on board with those things..

I personally just see the same stuff going on once again..

I'm hopeful that we have a different outcome this time.
While I never warmed up to the guy from Day 1 on, I will admit I did use a "I Like Mike" koozie for awhile.

• Love
While I never warmed up to the guy from Day 1 on, I will admit I did use a "I Like Mike" koozie for awhile.
There’s also no point to being a grouchy fan with a bad attitude. Sports are supposed to be fun and spark joy. If they don’t, find something else that does until the next guy comes along.

The admin hired a guy who probably was never going to be a huge winner, but was a good human being and had a chance to outperform his historical record with more support.

He was also like what 65 at the time? In any case he was quite old. Even if he did bloom into nick saban Riley was never going to be a long serving NU coach.

Everyone was just waiting for frost to come available in the fan base.

"Some of us including myself bought the "he'll be better at NU because of our resources"

That was me. At least Riley was a breath of fresh adult air after Pelini's juvenile pissiness & us-against-them attitude. And by "them" I mean the media and the fans. Yikes... talk about a guy that wasn't well-suited for the pressures of this job. And I was the biggest Pro-Bo fan out there when he was hired.

"What a long strange trip it's been"

Has a Husker HC ever not lived in Lincoln?

Also...RIP Shakers!!!
I don’t believe Callahan’s house was within the city limits at the time. Some of it is just being able to find a house that goes with an 8 million dollar salary. My suspicion is that he didn’t buy a 1500 square foot split entry built in the 90s. Wasn’t Frost’s place on the outskirts of Lincoln?

oh Bobby
Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT