ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule Offense

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
I wonder what approach he'll take or what vision he might have for our offense? He was what, smashmouth I formation power run at Temple and spread zone read rpo at Baylor. He could go either route here...

He mentioned having "revered" Nebraska football. I wonder what exactly he revered about it. TO's offense, including option? Or the pipeline, blackshirts, etc? Maybe it was just our innovative s&c/nutrition program and his passion for development...

He could go more the Baylor route as perhaps the path of least resistance I suppose. Similar to our offense under Pelini but with heavy dose of rpos. Maybe he goes under center I formation power run play action approach, but sneaks in some triple option if that was what he revered about the program?

What do y'all think? Thoughts??

I can't believe the OP mentioned the I-formation.

Just last night I had a short dream that in our next game we came out and lined up in the I-formation. Of course the stadium went bonkers.
🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
He clearly stated in his interview this morning what he thought of when talking Nebraska...... offensive line play.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Was that Ohio state last year where we played a series of option football until they called a timeout to regroup? That was awesome.
No disrespect to anyone, but you don’t/should not sprinkle the triple option in to your offense. If you are a triple option team, that is what you are. It is about the equity that coaches put in to what they want to run. Casual fans think that you can just try a particular play because “they will never see it coming”. That isn’t how this works. You practice the plays that you want to get great at running. Power 5 coaches don’t have an interest in getting great at the triple option because it is extremely difficult to recruit to. Towards the end of Solich’s tenure, we could all see the difficulty in recruiting top tier option qbs. For example, Tommy Zbikowski was one of the dudes that Nebraska was recruiting during that period. TZ elected to go to Notre Dame and play safety rather than Nebraska. WHY? Because his pathway to the NFL was as a safety rather than an option qb at Nebraska. So for all Husker fans that pray for the return of the triple option to Nebraska, this is an explanation as to why it will never happen. Nebraska deciding to roll out the triple option for a few plays against Ohio State was an embarrassing moment in my opinion. It was gimmicky and it wasn’t Nebraska’s offense. Good football programs don’t do that. No offense to anyone (except maybe Scott Frost).

No disrespect to anyone, but you don’t/should not sprinkle the triple option in to your offense. If you are a triple option team, that is what you are. It is about the equity that coaches put in to what they want to run. Casual fans think that you can just try a particular play because “they will never see it coming”. That isn’t how this works. You practice the plays that you want to get great at running. Power 5 coaches don’t have an interest in getting great at the triple option because it is extremely difficult to recruit to. Towards the end of Solich’s tenure, we could all see the difficulty in recruiting top tier option qbs. For example, Tommy Zbikowski was one of the dudes that Nebraska was recruiting during that period. TZ elected to go to Notre Dame and play safety rather than Nebraska. WHY? Because his pathway to the NFL was as a safety rather than an option qb at Nebraska. So for all Husker fans that pray for the return of the triple option to Nebraska, this is an explanation as to why it will never happen. Nebraska deciding to roll out the triple option for a few plays against Ohio State was an embarrassing moment in my opinion. It was gimmicky and it wasn’t Nebraska’s offense. Good football programs don’t do that. No offense to anyone (except maybe Scott Frost).
Michigan has sprinkled in a little triple option at times without being their primary offense. It could be done.

That being said, I watched some old temple highlights. Seems they really liked their toss play to the outside as we did our option play back in the day. Our "pass play" on 3rd and 7 lol

Heard an old interview about how he approached it in the past. He looks at the conference opponents & then decides what type of offense will give his team the best shot at success. Then hires a top notch coordinator & some assistants who use that system so they understand it from day one. Makes the whole process a lot easier. Then recruit players that fit it. It's a build from the ground up approach.

Last edited:
This right here. It’s not a video game. It’s football.

I wonder what approach he'll take or what vision he might have for our offense? He was what, smashmouth I formation power run at Temple and spread zone read rpo at Baylor. He could go either route here...

It depends on the offensive coordinator that he hires. But I think it makes sense to install the type of offense that it would be easiest to recruit to and that would be QB under center, I formation.

Reactions: Hail Varsity

He mentioned having "revered" Nebraska football. I wonder what exactly he revered about it. TO's offense, including option? Or the pipeline, blackshirts, etc? Maybe it was just our innovative s&c/nutrition program and his passion for development...

He could go more the Baylor route as perhaps the path of least resistance I suppose. Similar to our offense under Pelini but with heavy dose of rpos. Maybe he goes under center I formation power run play action approach, but sneaks in some triple option if that was what he revered about the program?

I'm guessing that Rhule has already been studying the Big10 defensive landscape, what it takes to compete and the current roster at Nebraska. There's no doubt he'll emphasize upgrades in the OL no matter the system he chooses, but his choice of an OC will tell the tale.

Is it an RPO-style coach? Drop back pro-style? Power run game? Even if in his first year he adapts the system to the roster and QB room, the history of the OC at previous stops should give us insight in the same way that Whipple's experience framed what we got at NU this year.

Biggest need? Play with a lead. Grind clock, get first downs and salt away wins. We lacked that severely under Frost and again with MJ.
And when you play that way, and you don’t get a lead, you look like Iowa did on Friday and Wisconsin on Saturday.

Edit. Had Joseph not gone all conservative Friday, Nebraska could have put up another TD or 2 and not been in panic mode at the end.

Also not saying there isn’t a need to be able to run the ball, clearly there is. But you can win games not playing conservative offensive football.

Last edited:
And when you play that way, and you don’t get a lead, you look like Iowa did on Friday and Wisconsin on Saturday.

Edit. Had Joseph not gone all conservative Friday, Nebraska could have put up another TD or 2 and not been in panic mode at the end.

Also not saying there isn’t a need to be able to run the ball, clearly there is. But you can win games not playing conservative offensive football.

They also could have thrown a pick and stopped the clock a lot.

Allowing us to lose.

That's Big Ten football. Not taking unnecessary chances. Which means you need a ground game.

They also could have thrown a pick and stopped the clock a lot.

Allowing us to lose.

That's Big Ten football. Not taking unnecessary chances. Which means you need a ground game.
4 of the top 5 scoring offenses in the Big Ten are the top 4 in passing offense.

So apparently you need to pass the ball as well.

The key to winning in the Big Ten is defense, any style of offense will do.

It’s all situational. I felt uneasy when we started getting conservative in the 3rd quarter. We should’ve easily been able to keep torching that slow ass inexperienced secondary for easy yards both underneath and over the top. Instead we curled up and went to what we have sucked miserably at since Mickey took over, running the ball with only inside zone plays. O line had the worst season maybe ever. Casey and the WR matchups negated that on Friday.

4 of the top 5 scoring offenses in the Big Ten are the top 4 in passing offense.

We cant run consistently which will.lead to turnovers.

If we could rin we would have a more effective passing game.

When you have a lead being able to run the ball is essential.

Their best DB went out is why we were able to pass enough to win.

Good thing we had that modern offense against Wisconsin in the wind a week ago.

Running game and Big formations are making a comeback in the NFL of all places.

Reactions: baseball31ne

I’m not saying go into a turtle shell. If they had a complete Oline they could have continued running clock/grinding and scoring ala how Michigan Did against us.

Reactions: Bruce1981
I think he will scratch where it itches
This is maybe what I am most excited about with Rhule. His versatility. When is the last hire we made that didn’t simply bring in what they know from whatever part of the country only to fail miserably? Bo maybe? I didn’t mind Bo’s offense as much as some, I thought it fit the conference well enough, he just couldn’t recruit. Callahan didn’t fail on offense but he recruited well and ran a good offensive line. I like a formula where we can run an offense like Wisonsin or Iowa, but recruit better and therefor have more success, like Michigan. just start with making the recruiting rankings make sense. Something that hasn’t happened in 7 years.

Good thing we had that modern offense against Wisconsin in the wind a week ago.

Running game and Big formations are making a comeback in the NFL of all places.
Because defenses in the NFL have gotten smaller and faster to combat the dual threat QB and the RPO offenses. That isn’t the case in the Big Ten, especially the West, outside of a couple of teams. Most big ten teams still operate on stopping the run with bigger and often times slower DL and LB.

When those teams play fast athletic teams, they get beat. So I still contend, as long as most of Nebraska’s games will be against Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern, you design your defense to stop the run. On offense I would go strictly with speed, because those teams can’t keep up.

Reactions: king_kong_

True and you can run the ball without playing conservatively.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT