ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule initially hesitant

Nov 26, 2022
Great hire and great things for this program moving forward.
From what I’ve been told, Matt had significant reservations regarding the opening at head coach for DONU.
Trev and “the firm” sold the $h*t out of the potential of the good guys and all that the Big Red machine brings with it…over what the Auburns is the world could muster…
Be happy husker fans. Great leadership at all levels. Enjoy the process.

Well, we did have to roll with an eight year contract. Seems a little long, I’m just past 70 and I would like to see Huskers make it back to being relevant. Now I know I said in 95/96that I could die a happy man after back to back MNC and I still stick to that. I waited a long time…it was worth it. For you waiting 20 plus years, when it happens it will be worth it. When Rhule gets his trenches built we will be one QB away from playoffs. Then it will happen. I think there are less than 10 programs being built to make a total run at winning it all. One day we will be one of those ten teams, and then we find the QB of the year and win it all.

Reservations? Then screw him. I love my track record over the last 7 years and I stand by it now. Good luck hunting for a new coach in 3 years. Shanle is onto somethinhg. Anyone that does not have "that empty feeling" is fooling themselves. Could we have done worse? Yes, however another .500 coach is not getting my rocks off. But trust in Trev? Cool. Whatever.

Reservations? Then screw him. I love my track record over the last 7 years and I stand by it now. Good luck hunting for a new coach in 3 years. Shanle is onto somethinhg. Anyone that does not have "that empty feeling" is fooling themselves. Could we have done worse? Yes, however another .500 coach is not getting my rocks off. But trust in Trev? Cool. Whatever.
Who did you want?

From what I’ve been told, Matt had significant reservations regarding the opening at head coach for DONU.
Trev and “the firm” sold the $h*t out of the potential of the good guys and all that the Big Red machine brings with it…over what the Auburns is the world could muster…
Powerful sources you cited there. I’m sold.

I’m convinced Chuck is either A) a former UNO football player or B) a former UNO Wrastler

You approach a coach who has been out of the college football arena for over 2 years and you do not expect him to have reservations about a blue blood program who made at the time a solid hire in Scott Frost (who he knows). I am not sure he did not know how bad the program was at the time, so yeah I would be apprehensive at first as well.

In listening to interviews with him after losing his job, he needed to decompress with what occurred to him and had to assess his successes and failures. Looking for a new coaching gig was not on his radar at all.

I agree with Carriker, you disregard everything that happened to any coach in the NFL when comparing to college coaching. These are completely 2 different entities, the only thing in common is the shape of the ball used during the game.

I’m convinced Chuck is either A) a former UNO football player or B) a former UNO Wrastler
Chuckie has already taken up opposition, even though coach Rhule hasn't even unpacked his boxes. He's a lot of fun at parties.

Go yell at the clouds Chuck.

You approach a coach who has been out of the college football arena for over 2 years and you do not expect him to have reservations about a blue blood program who made at the time a solid hire in Scott Frost (who he knows). I am not sure he did not know how bad the program was at the time, so yeah I would be apprehensive at first as well.

In listening to interviews with him after losing his job, he needed to decompress with what occurred to him and had to assess his successes and failures. Looking for a new coaching gig was not on his radar at all.

I agree with Carriker, you disregard everything that happened to any coach in the NFL when comparing to college coaching. These are completely 2 different entities, the only thing in common is the shape of the ball used during the game.
A good coach has so much more impact in college when he has a supportive AD, fanbase and the resources.

In the NFL you better have a saavy GM and some luck at finding a QB. Just ask the Patriots, Broncos, Colts, Saints and a handful of others how it's going.

Reactions: JDD1959 and Frozone
Chuckie has already taken up opposition, even though coach Rhule hasn't even unpacked his boxes. He's a lot of fun at parties.

Go yell at the clouds Chuck.
I don't think Rhule has probably even packed his boxes, let alone unpack them...😂

At the same time, I 100% understand Chuck's reservations and/or frustrations. In the end though, I think only the hire of a coach like Urban (always won) would've left us all feeling warm and tingly.

I also know that a small part of me wishes Joseph got the nod. I think having him as HC could have proven beneficial on multiple levels.

So, I get being frustrated, whether or not Chuck was a Joseph for Head Coach fan.

I believe it. In our echo chamber, we believe Nebraska is a highly respected program. Walk outside the state, and we are a “has been” that won championships in the days of old. Go back and watch the grainy “non HD” videos of the last time we had success. The world has changed a lot.

That being said, this coach could bring Nebraska back into relevance and the respect will come back much quicker than non-blue blood programs if he can get us playing as a top 10 team again. We have seen many blue bloods go through droughts, only to come back and regain prestige again (Bama, Michigan, USC…). The difference is, Nebraska has been on a more lengthy drought than most any of them ever had and until we can get back, most are going to assume we were a blip in time where the stars all aligned.

Shanle is a bigger loser than you and that’s a serious statement.

Wait, you have reservations? Then screw you. I love my track record against trolls. You may be a husker fan, but in the last several years, you’ve pissed and moaned incessantly. Rather than revealing yourself to be a petulant child all the time, maybe just don’t post. I had forgotten about you when you don’t post. When you do, I am reminded that there aren’t many worse than you.

I see this completely differently.

If he had reservations, then he still has them, and for good reason. It tells me he isn't comfortable with what he is walking into, and a massive contract is what it took for him to say f-it.

This whole hire stinks.

Wait, you have reservations? Then screw you. I love my track record against trolls. You may be a husker fan, but in the last several years, you’ve pissed and moaned incessantly. Rather than revealing yourself to be a petulant child all the time, maybe just don’t post. I had forgotten about you when you don’t post. When you do, I am reminded that there aren’t many worse than you.
use the ignore button jackass.. who the f do you and your little band of losers that think you can go around telling people who can post and who can't.

use the ignore button jackass.. who the f do you and your little band of losers that think you can go around telling people who can post and who can't.
Butthurt that your guy is not going to be our coach? Fine, bitch away about the new guy that gives us a lot to excited about if that's your thing. Do not be surprised by the pushback though. Expect it

Well, we did have to roll with an eight year contract. Seems a little long, I’m just past 70 and I would like to see Huskers make it back to being relevant. Now I know I said in 95/96that I could die a happy man after back to back MNC and I still stick to that. I waited a long time…it was worth it. For you waiting 20 plus years, when it happens it will be worth it. When Rhule gets his trenches built we will be one QB away from playoffs. Then it will happen. I think there are less than 10 programs being built to make a total run at winning it all. One day we will be one of those ten teams, and then we find the QB of the year and win it all.
We were horribly spoiled by Tom’s run. In the time since we’ve chewed up and spit out 5 coaches. All we can do is hire another and try to give him the time to rebuild the mess he inherited. Rhule has done it elsewhere. We need to stick with him if it doesn’t blast off in the first 3 years.

If he had reservations, then he still has them, and for good reason. It tells me he isn't comfortable with what he is walking into, and a massive contract is what it took for him to say f-it.

This whole hire stinks.
Except he already had a massive buyout contract from the Panthers in his pocket, so I don't follow how money would be the motivator to take on a job he wasn't comfortable with. Coaches are competitive - he just failed as coach of Carolina - I don't think he'd want to take on a rebuild if he wasn't confident he could succeed.

This whole hire stinks.
That’s what the 8 year contract is about. You remove the concern about not getting the time you need.

You act like he coached at top tier programs and failed. Nice try

Reactions: Hford
I'm at the same age as you and realize I'm pretty lucky to have witnessed all five national titles but I also understand I'm a selfish man and want to see one more at least. The good people of Nebraska deserve another crack at greatness they've endured more as a fanbase than most fans will ever know. Nebraska the good life.

Is the above the most miserable son of a bitch on this board?

I'm at the same age as you and realize I'm pretty lucky to have witnessed all five national titles but I also understand I'm a selfish man and want to see one more at least. The good people of Nebraska deserve another crack at greatness they've endured more as a fanbase than most fans will ever know. Nebraska the good life.
I can live without another national title but a B1G title sure would be nice. The odds of us winning another national title in my lifetime are extremely small

I can live without another national title but a B1G title sure would be nice. The odds of us winning another national title in my lifetime are extremely small
With the playoff expanding to 12 it's probably going to be easier to make that than win the conference. Not overly relevant to this thread but Nebraska is going to announce Rhule on Monday and he is the best candidate that we could realistically get.

Reactions: dpnavy
I think he may have been hesitant because he needed to make sure the money was right and the length of the contract was enough time to build the program. Unless you're completely brainless you just don't give up millions of dollars from a buyout and not demand money and time from another organization.

I think there may be a lot of fans a little unsure about Rhule and who he hires as his assistants and how much money he will be given to spend on those assistants and whether Micky Joseph will be part of his staff, I know I am.

I agree completely. Which is why if Rhule said no, we would have ended up with Monken.
Maybe but you don’t know that. Jeff Monken is a damned good coach who adapts his offense to guys he can get in to a military academy.

Reactions: dpnavy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT