ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule and Year 3

Many people are correlating Year 1 to Rhule’s other stops as a college HC. They preach patience and say “look at Temple and Baylor“ while saying his success is better at Nebraska.

Cool… then who will be Nebraska’s HC after Rhule’s 3rd season?
it's a valid point.. he could take off for another gig easily if he puts NU back on the map in year 3.

we don't really know what is going on in his head. His wife wants this to be a long term gig.. but it's still the honeymoon phase for her too.. he seems all in to me. things could change.. anything can change.. no guarantees in life.

Many people are correlating Year 1 to Rhule’s other stops as a college HC. They preach patience and say “look at Temple and Baylor“ while saying his success is better at Nebraska.

If he is gone after 3-4 seasons and leaves us with a double digit win team and a loaded roster, I will be fine with it.

Gene Wilder Nonsense GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: V-Doub and headcard
Just want to make sure I understand this scenario correctly.

Somebody is gonna hiring rhule away after year number 3 did so because rule did such a terrific job extinguishing the dumpster fire that is nebraska football and rebuilding it back on top of the ashes, right? So nebraska's relevant again? I'm sure we could find somebody to do the job since the heavy lifting is done.

How much money does rhule make a year now? How much is somebody going to have to throw at him to make him leave three years from now?

You’re clever. Pat yourself on the back.

Just want to make sure I understand this scenario correctly.

Somebody is gonna hiring rhule away after year number 3 did so because rule did such a terrific job extinguishing the dumpster fire that is nebraska football and rebuilding it back on top of the ashes, right? So nebraska's relevant again? I'm sure we could find somebody to do the job since the heavy lifting is done.

How much money does rhule make a year now? How much is somebody going to have to throw at him to make him leave three years from now?
I mean Texas A&M could be crazy enough to go after him now, but I think they’d like a sexier pick like Mike Elko or even Dan Lanning.

If year 3 is the big one, he needs to find his QB now and have 2024 to prep.
His third year, and frankly any year going forward, won’t be easy… USC, UCLA, Michigan, Penn St

Every year after this one will be freakin brutal and awesome at the same time. We need to get good quickly.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I liken all of this talk to the qualifier they put at the end of all mutual funds and investments, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I’m concerned with the next game. Who gives a sh!t about a couple of years from now?

If he is gone after 3-4 seasons and leaves us with a double digit win team and a loaded roster, I will be fine with it.
I wouldn't be fine with that. But I'm also more concerned with the immediate state of affairs, and your scenario sounds like a pipedream.

His third year, and frankly any year going forward, won’t be easy… USC, UCLA, Michigan, Penn St

Every year after this one will be freakin brutal and awesome at the same time. We need to get good quickly.
Go look at next years schedule. Brutal? Hardly. Tougher than this year sure. But brutal?
10-2 is very achievable and 6 wins should happen by week 7. Beat Colorado, UCLA, Wisc, and Io a and it should be 10 wins. Which of those is BRUTAL?

what are Rhule's career results with free agent QBs?

How about Tony White. He is responsible for the “success” of this years team. With a competent OC we would be 8-2

what are Rhule's career results with free agent QBs?
What? Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and Baker are top tier.

Seriously as a leader Matt needs to realize finding/evaluating QBs is not what coach Rhule does well. He needs to find someone who can.

Reactions: king_kong_
What? Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, and Baker are top tier.

Seriously as a leader Matt needs to realize finding/evaluating QBs is not what coach Rhule does well. He needs to find someone who can.
guessing that thought never once crossed blockhead trev's mind

Reactions: oldjar07
I wouldn't be fine with that. But I'm also more concerned with the immediate state of affairs, and your scenario sounds like a pipedream.

I don’t think it’s a pipe dream at all. And it is the scenario the OP laid out. That Rhule leaves everywhere after three or four years. Well he leaves because they are winning big and he gets and he gets a better job.

We're a blueblood school. He already tried and failed at the NFL. What better job is out there? If Trev picked a guy who was going to bounce after 3 years after moderate success, he picked the wrong guy.

I'm not buying the argument that Nebraska won't ever win a conference title in the B1G. It won't be easy, but it is foolish to suggest that Nebraska in incapable of rebuilding into a strong program that can compete with the elite programs in the B1G.

They won't have to beat OSU, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington all in the same year. And, there will come a day - perhaps as early as next season - when Nebraska beats one of these teams. And then one year they will beat two of them. That would be enough most years to get you into the CCG - maybe even the playoff.

And it's not like NU has peaked in year 1 under Rhule. It's a bit of a paradox to say NU is just one player away from being 9-1 this year, since that one player is the most important position on the team. But you can see how what was a complete sh!tshow the past 5+ seasons has turned into a capable team in one season.

Reactions: nostromo78
We're a blueblood school. He already tried and failed at the NFL. What better job is out there? If Trev picked a guy who was going to bounce after 3 years after moderate success, he picked the wrong guy.
I don't think he will bounce, unless the Penn State job becomes available.

Here's a thought. Maybe if we quit acting like Nebraska is anything more than a "has been" we might just be able to keep a cohesive coaching staff, and in return, maybe...just maybe..... Win more games then we lose.

At some point we need to look in the mirror and realize that we aren't the destination that most coaches and players want to call home.

We need to keep Rhule for as long as we can in order to right this ship. We are one year into this thing for shits sake.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ran some numbers today. i think most of us can agree that the most painful loss is the one where we've been controlling the game, then let up at the end.

in Rhule's 3rd season, he outscored opponents 242-163 in the second half. that averages to outscoring the opposing team 17-11 in the second half of games. however, there are some outlier/creampuff teams that i think it'd be intelligent to remove to give a more accurate picture of how he fares against the meat of the schedule. so i'm going to remove Stephen F. Austin, UTSA and Kansas.

Now he's outscored his opponents 166-133, an average of 15-12

the part that hurts is looking at ranked opponents. Baylor was outscored 44-24, an average of 15-8 per game.

Reactions: cpfball05
if Rhule starts to knock off the conference titans, Penn State will snatch him up.

ran some numbers today. i think most of us can agree that the most painful loss is the one where we've been controlling the game, then let up at the end.

in Rhule's 3rd season, he outscored opponents 242-163 in the second half. that averages to outscoring the opposing team 17-11 in the second half of games. however, there are some outlier/creampuff teams that i think it'd be intelligent to remove to give a more accurate picture of how he fares against the meat of the schedule. so i'm going to remove Stephen F. Austin, UTSA and Kansas.

Now he's outscored his opponents 166-133, an average of 15-12

the part that hurts is looking at ranked opponents. Baylor was outscored 44-24, an average of 15-8 per game.
last time a Rhule-coached team beat a ranked opponent was like in 2016 against Navy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT