ADVERTISEMENT

Rex re-signed with Pats...

According to Ben Volin of The Boston Globe and others on Thursday, Burkhead's three-year deal has a cash value of $9.75 million. The six-year veteran can make an additional $3.75 million in incentives and has a $3 million signing bonus added onto it. Burkhead can also add another $500,000 to his name in roster bonuses. $5.5 million of his deal is guaranteed.

Here's a more succinct breakdown of his year-by-year base salary:

2018 base salary: $1 million (fully guaranteed)

2019 base salary: $1.75 million ($1.5 million guaranteed)

2020 base salary: $2.5 million (non-guaranteed)

The 27-year-old signed a one-year deal with the Pats last offseason for $3.15 million following a four-season stint with the Cincinnati Bengals where he was buried on the depth chart behind the likes of Gio Bernard and Jeremy Hill. In New England, the back was given more of an opportunity to strut his stuff and showed that he can be a legit threat in an NFL backfield.

Entering this offseason it was imperative for the Patriots to retain one or both of their free agent duo of Burkhead and Dion Lewis. With Lewis heading down to Nashville to join the Tennessee Titans, bringing back Burkhead likely became more of an emphasis.

wonder if Woodhead will land back there too

Highly unlikely. He is not replacing James White on 3rd down and I don’t think he is a better runner than Rex at this point. They need a first and second down back to compete with Rex and it sounds like Jeremy Hill or draft.

Highly unlikely. He is not replacing James White on 3rd down and I don’t think he is a better runner than Rex at this point. They need a first and second down back to compete with Rex and it sounds like Jeremy Hill or draft.

I'm not sure that that matters. Last year they had Lewis, Burkhead and White. I'm expecting to see Burkhead take over for Lewis as their early down back. Then that would leave White and Woodhead for third down duties. They use their RBs much differently than most teams.

I'm not sure that that matters. Last year they had Lewis, Burkhead and White. I'm expecting to see Burkhead take over for Lewis as their early down back. Then that would leave White and Woodhead for third down duties. They use their RBs much differently than most teams.

Could be, we’ll see. Burkhead was arguably more effective as a receiver than a runner so I would think they don’t see much of a need for a third down backup (Woodhead).

Burkhead played some slot as well - he has the quicks to run the inside cross routes and short game the Pats do so well

Reactions: huskerfan1414
whatever happened to that real good lb we had devonte, how many years was he in the pros?

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like lavonte is going strong.
we also had another pretty good lb, who would crawl around on his hands after he made a play. like a alligator or something.
he was before lavonte, do you know what happened with him?

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like lavonte is going strong.
we also had another pretty good lb, who would crawl around on his hands after he made a play. like a alligator or something.
he was before lavonte, do you know what happened with him?
Ahhhh I see what you did there

Some snickered when I promoted Quincy as our best football player his senior year. The guy could have played multiple positions on either side of the ball. Loved the way he played.
If Quincy played defense, he would be fined more than Suh due to his old school tenacity and willingness to kill the guy across from him. There is another highlight I remember where T-Mart threw a pick and Q came back and killed the guy who picked it. This one is even funnier because it is a much larger man than him. Dude is a badass.

If Quincy played defense, he would be fined more than Suh due to his old school tenacity and willingness to kill the guy across from him. There is another highlight I remember where T-Mart threw a pick and Q came back and killed the guy who picked it. This one is even funnier because it is a much larger man than him. Dude is a badass.
Here is the original hit I was thinking of. Q is a man. Dude is an old school headhunter.

Wasnt targeting....he was a beast.
Btw man that team shouldhave been better. Damnit.

Damn, watching those clips was a harsh reminder on how terrible our offense has been the last decade or so and we haven't had a legit passing QB since Ganz and Zac Taylor. Sick
I think Tanner Lee could have been pretty darned good if we could have kept him from getting hit so damned much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT