ADVERTISEMENT

Rex Burkehead, Roy Helu jr, or Ameer Abdullah?

Ameer's not an every-down back. He definitely has the most big-play ability, but if we're needing someone reliable and who can be there the entire season, he's not it. Rex's only weakness is after 20 yards, other than that he tested as well as anyone. Rex is in, and Roy has to go.

Ameer's not an every-down back. He definitely has the most big-play ability, but if we're needing someone reliable and who can be there the entire season, he's not it. Rex's only weakness is after 20 yards, other than that he tested as well as anyone. Rex is in, and Roy has to go.
Ameer sure seemed like he played every down (and ST) while here.

But Helu could jump over people

Reactions: TheBeav815
Start, bench, cut
Start: Ameer
Bench: Roy
Cut: Burkehead
Wow. Tough.

Start. Ameer (and special teams too)
Bench. Rex(but he comes off the bench and plays plenty, esp 4th qtr holding lead)
Cut. Roy (did I really cut Roy?)

Reactions: Riled Up
Helu has the most big play ability. Remember 2010 Missouri? Abdullah not an every down back at Nebraska? 3 1000+ yard seasons and forced 2 4 star backs to transfer. My depth chart would be Abdullah, helu, burkhead, but would take any of them

Helu has the most big play ability. Remember 2010 Missouri? Abdullah not an every down back at Nebraska? 3 1000+ yard seasons and forced 2 4 star backs to transfer. My depth chart would be Abdullah, helu, burkhead, but would take any of them
You mean when he ran straight through those gaping holes? Yeah, I remember. Helu wasn't nearly as good at making people miss, which is a really important attribute of a RB, especially when their O lines are marginal. Roy's a good RB, but isn't as complete as the other 2. And I'm considering Pro as well, not just college.

Two of them played together. Granted, helu was a jr and sr while rex was a fr. and soph. but helu was the starter and put up better stats.

Start, bench, cut

I can’t do it. Time to bring back the wishbone.

maxresdefault.jpg

You mean when he ran straight through those gaping holes? Yeah, I remember. Helu wasn't nearly as good at making people miss, which is a really important attribute of a RB, especially when their O lines are marginal. Roy's a good RB, but isn't as complete as the other 2. And I'm considering Pro as well, not just college.
Helu had by far the best top end speed

Start, bench, cut
Similar
Start: Roy
Bench: Ameer
Cut: Burkhead

I’m still bitter over that drop Rex had for an easy 6 against Texas in 2010. If they’d have had Roy in their on that play, we win the game

Still like Rex, but it’s a difficult choice and someone’s gotta go

Is this the best back-to-back-to-back group of running backs we've ever had?

Redwine
Craig
Rozier

Dubose
Jones
Clark

Jones
Phillips
Green

Helu
Burkhead
Abdullah

Start - Rex (he was just so dang inspirational... and we were robbed of him at his peak as he got hurt scoring a long TD the first quarter of his senior year)

Bench - Ameer (every bit as good as Rex, had more wiggle but not quite as inspirational)

Cut - Roy (he was darn good but not quite as good as Rex/Ameer)

I think their pro careers are showing their real value. Roy did ok for a few years then was done after a few injuries. Ameer started hot but couldn't keep it going, albeit for a bad franchise. He is still hanging on returning kicks for the vikings. But Rex has really come into his own for the Pats... from scoring back to back TDs to win the AFC championship game to having a game clinching first down in the Super Bowl.

Move Ameer to Duck-R. Start Roy with Burkhead as the 3rd down back.

If I had to cut someone I suppose it would be Roy. Figure that one out.....

And I would go with Rozier,Craig and Redwine. (I think Rozier,Craig and Dubose would even be better. Too bad Dubose got hurt in his career. He's a what if like Phillips and Evans.)

Last edited:
Really depends on what system you're running. Helu is a great back to gap dudes and get in space and use his speed and elusiveness in a zone scheme and/or spread.

Rex could really make something out of nothing on inside plays, unreal vision, but not a sprinter in the open field. Could see him really being great in the "old" NU offense.

Ameer I feel like could do either scheme.

Is this the best back-to-back-to-back group of running backs we've ever had?

Redwine
Craig
Rozier

Dubose
Jones
Clark

Jones
Phillips
Green

Helu
Burkhead
Abdullah

I have a better group within that group..

90-96

Derek Brown
Calvin Jones
Lawrence.Phillips
Ahman Green
DeAngelo Evans

He'll of a run even though Jello was cut short by injury.

Holla

I have a better group within that group..

90-96

Derek Brown
Calvin Jones
Lawrence.Phillips
Ahman Green
DeAngelo Evans

He'll of a run even though Jello was cut short by injury.

Holla
I've got an even better group within that group:

Berns
Happy
Redwine
Craig
Rozier
Smith
Dubose
Jones
Clark
Flowers