ADVERTISEMENT

Revolving Door at Michigan continues

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
What a freakin' mess. What a freaking pigsty for those previously-comitted players and their parents. The question at hand, however, is this: Is Harbaugh's agenda working (to compete with Meyer and Saban)?

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerbat
Predicting Longhorns. Meatchicken rivals site says he visited Longhorns last week, UM saw it and they went and picked up a NJ DT verbal to replace him.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I hope recruits from 2017 are paying attention and seeing whats going on...that has to kill trust with recruits if there not 5 star guys anyways.

I hope this comes back and bites Jim in the ass and the guys hes hoping to pull pick someone else and hes left empty.

Or, maybe Harbaugh told him if you go visit UT, we are taking someone else and the kid chose to go visit UT nonetheless. The double standards on message boards are quite humorous. The game works both ways. The "commit"probably would have had no problem dumping UM less than 2 weeks before signing day if UT offered. I have no problem with a coach pulling an offer from a "commit", if the "commit" demonstrates that he isn't really "committed" by taking visits to other schools after telling me he is "committed" to coming here. Look, I dislike Harbaugh as much as anyone, but if the kid is still exploring his options 2 weeks before signing day, then I have no problem with Harbaugh exploring his options.

Or, maybe Harbaugh told him if you go visit UT, we are taking someone else and the kid chose to go visit UT nonetheless. The double standards on message boards are quite humorous. The game works both ways. The "commit"probably would have had no problem dumping UM less than 2 weeks before signing day if UT offered. I have no problem with a coach pulling an offer from a "commit", if the "commit" demonstrates that he isn't really "committed" by taking visits to other schools after telling me he is "committed" to coming here. Look, I dislike Harbaugh as much as anyone, but if the kid is still exploring his options 2 weeks before signing day, then I have no problem with Harbaugh exploring his options.
As much as I kind of hate to agree, THIS.....If you are in a position of strength and can be choosy, then make them 'be' committed...

Reactions: candid
I agree with this. If you can't commit to a school before a week left till signing day why would you expect that school to hold a spot open for you to maybe get left out in the cold? Coaches are expected to perform or they lose their job. Period. Not a harbaugh fan but see nothing wrong here.

Pelini used the same tactic - once a kid gave a verbal and visited elsewhere he typically cut them loose.

Predicting Longhorns. Meatchicken rivals site says he visited Longhorns last week, UM saw it and they went and picked up a NJ DT verbal to replace him.
The kid they picked up is a 5.5 3 star strongside DE albeit at 280lbs. Not exactly a 5 star DT. Harbaugh had to dip in to the backup plan B and this kid will be shown the road out of campus when Harbaugh finds somebody better a year from now.

That's where Pelini was brilliant. Late in the recruiting season he would start targeting South Dakota State and MAC level recruits so it lowered the chance of kids wanting to take those 11th hour visits.
Ok, spit take!

What a freakin' mess. What a freaking pigsty for those previously-comitted players and their parents. The question at hand, however, is this: Is Harbaugh's sleazy agenda working (to compete with Meyer and Saban)?

this was jordan elliot choice not michigan. he wants to stay in state and play for texas. this is the 4th team elliot has decommitted from.

yea nate johnson a wr on the michigan commit list isnt really a commit anymore. he committed to michigan 2 weeks agao then went on visits to nd and miami. he then comes out and says he will announce his choice on signing day. michigan cut ties with him then. the wr commit michigan got yesterday took his spot. funny thing is nd now says he isnt a take. he better hope miami isnt full at wr by signing day.

The kid they picked up is a 5.5 3 star strongside DE albeit at 280lbs. Not exactly a 5 star DT. Harbaugh had to dip in to the backup plan B and this kid will be shown the road out of campus when Harbaugh finds somebody better a year from now.
his highlights show a really good player

this was jordan elliot choice not michigan. he wants to stay in state and play for texas. this is the 4th team elliot has decommitted from.
hadn't realized. Top star athletes can definitely be wishy washy. But I'm under the impression it's a two way street. IMO this just isn't on the recruit, it's on Harbaugh too.

hadn't realized. Top star athletes can definitely be wishy washy. But I'm under the impression it's a two way street. IMO this just isn't on the recruit, it's on Harbaugh too.
How so? It's been explained to you and if you haven't noticed there aren't a bunch of new articles out saying Michigan did it (cut a kid lose) again. It was quite the opposite as the Michigan coaches went out to visit (the night before the flip) in a last ditch effort to keep him. The kid himself said at the end of the day distance became a factor...he thought a couple of his friends would join him (having a little home up with him in A2) but those kids ended up choosing Texas which is where Elliot is headed.

Reactions: nhalker and studed
How so? It's been explained to you and if you haven't noticed there aren't a bunch of new articles out saying Michigan did it (cut a kid lose) again. It was quite the opposite as the Michigan coaches went out to visit (the night before the flip) in a last ditch effort to keep him. The kid himself said at the end of the day distance became a factor...he thought a couple of his friends would join him (having a little home up with him in A2) but those kids ended up choosing Texas which is where Elliot is headed.
I understand that now about the DT recruit; distance and no friends played a big factor; yes it was explained to me so I got it. My main point is how do you explain the other recruits he is turning away for higher ranked recruits? Harbaugh's agenda is just like Meyer and Saban's aka "You better be damn good or don't consider us."

I understand that now about the DT recruit; distance and no friends played a big factor; yes it was explained to me so I got it. My main point is how do you explain the other recruits he is turning away for higher ranked recruits? Harbaugh's agenda is just like Meyer and Saban's aka "You better be damn good or don't consider us."
Since I've been following this closely and as a Michigan guy I guess I'm more familiar than most on the details and both sides of the stories (well what is out there). I'm not going to try to "spin" this to say Harbaugh is some angel and shouldn't take some criticism for some of the actions. The bottom line is there were a couple kids (in good academic standing) who had their schollies rescinded and that sucks for them...they have more than a right to be disappointed.

With that said, my first issue is that some (and not just you...even members of the media who have a responsibility to report the truth) have taken a couple circumstances and assumed that is what happened with everyone. There have been a few cases where it is academics, a couple cases where kids wanted a guarantee on position (and didn't get it) and believe it or not a few cases where the kids simply decided they wanted to go to another school more.

I'm not trying to ignore the couple more suspect situations. And if things happened exactly how one of the kids reported it then shame on Harbaugh. But on the flip side, It's not that Harbaugh doesn't have the right to pull a schollie for whatever reason, including on field related, but rather how things are being communicated. So the thing is right now only one side is allowed to speak (though in one case 3rd parties that have been 1st hand in the recruitment have implied a kid is not being 100% honest) and one of the two kids actually says he understands the situation (also saying it didn't come as a shock) and while he might not like it he doesn't harbor hard feelings. And interestingly enough these two kids weren't the first where it was on field related as it happened to a couple other kids (much earlier in the process) and there seemed to be no confusion in those cases in terms of what was being communicated to them. So while the timing and situation sucks for these kids it does beg the question of how upfront the Michigan staff was...right now it is really a single kid saying that the Michigan staff flubbed the communication and the Michigan staff isn't able to respond to this at the moment.

Since I've been following this closely and as a Michigan guy I guess I'm more familiar than most on the details and both sides of the stories (well what is out there). I'm not going to try to "spin" this to say Harbaugh is some angel and shouldn't take some criticism for some of the actions. The bottom line is there were a couple kids (in good academic standing) who had their schollies rescinded and that sucks for them...they have more than a right to be disappointed.

With that said, my first issue is that some (and not just you...even members of the media who have a responsibility to report the truth) have taken a couple circumstances and assumed that is what happened with everyone. There have been a few cases where it is academics, a couple cases where kids wanted a guarantee on position (and didn't get it) and believe it or not a few cases where the kids simply decided they wanted to go to another school more.

I'm not trying to ignore the couple more suspect situations. And if things happened exactly how one of the kids reported it then shame on Harbaugh. But on the flip side, It's not that Harbaugh doesn't have the right to pull a schollie for whatever reason, including on field related, but rather how things are being communicated. So the thing is right now only one side is allowed to speak (though in one case 3rd parties that have been 1st hand in the recruitment have implied a kid is not being 100% honest) and one of the two kids actually says he understands the situation (also saying it didn't come as a shock) and while he might not like it he doesn't harbor hard feelings. And interestingly enough these two kids weren't the first where it was on field related as it happened to a couple other kids (much earlier in the process) and there seemed to be no confusion in those cases in terms of what was being communicated to them. So while the timing and situation sucks for these kids it does beg the question of how upfront the Michigan staff was...right now it is really a single kid saying that the Michigan staff flubbed the communication and the Michigan staff isn't able to respond to this at the moment.

I think overall you're right that we have to look at all the recruits and not just one of them. Like most people I was quick to judge the situation based on the recruit who de-committed because of no contact from the UM staff. I think this a good example of the local perception vs national perception argument. Local people in the community definitely have more connection with the community and I can understand the frustration with the keyboard-warrior age.

Hope the situation smooths itself out. Not good for the kid or the school's perception when this kind of stuff is reported with singled-out intentions. Because whether I like him or not, Harbaugh (like Meyer) is a good thing for the B1G. Only time will tell if his process pans out. Plus, College football is better when the big name brands are better. More viewers, more smack talk, more money, more cameras, more stories for history.

Reactions: studed and ellobo
Iowa State looks to be a lock for Chase Allen. On a positive note, he's not going to Michigan.
Michigan just got a verbal from 4* TE Nick Eubanks...don't know if that ends things with 4* Devin Asiasi (for Michigan) but either way there was a reason ISU all of a sudden became the leader for Allen...we probably won't take 3 TEs (there was already one committed who is an EE) let alone 4

Last edited:
As much as I kind of hate to agree, THIS.....If you are in a position of strength and can be choosy, then make them 'be' committed...
Actually, Mi wanted to keep him, think he was real homesick, when he went to Tex Mi chose another. Shit happens, hope the kid is happy and successful, not easy decisions for these 18 yo kids.

Reactions: timnsun
Read an article a couple days ago about JH. He used the same tactics at Stanford & these players shouldn't be surprised. Swenson, (from Ill) started the anti JH verbage, then we find out he was warned in Oct or Nov that because he wouldn't camp at Mi and was playing soft his senior hs yr, was a Brady Hoke recruit and a unknown to JH crew, they suggested he look elsewhere. See nothing wrong w this but agree I'm prob biased.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT