ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Big 12 Already Going After Arizona State, Arizona, Utah and Colorado

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
A report says that the Big 12 already has contacted those 4 schools about joining the Big 12. If they joined, the PAC basically would be dead and you can imagine the resulting pressure on Oregon and Washington scrambling to find a home. Such a move would likely kick off another domino effect.

LINK

A report says that the Big 12 already has contacted those 4 schools about joining the Big 12. If they joined, the PAC basically would be dead and you can imagine the resulting pressure on Oregon and Washington scrambling to find a home. Such a move would likely kick off another domino effect.

LINK
The four corner schools hardly would hardly make up for the loss of Texass and Oklahoma. Perhaps if Washington and Oregon don't find a landing spot in the B1G and the Big 12 could land those two schools on top of the four corner schools, that might come close. However, I don't think the Big 12 is a permanent destination for schools like Oregon and Washington, as they would jump ship as soon as they received an invitation from either the B1G or the SEC.

The four corner schools hardly would hardly make up for the loss of Texass and Oklahoma. Perhaps if Washington and Oregon don't find a landing spot in the B1G and the Big 12 could land those two schools on top of the four corner schools, that might come close. However, I don't think the Big 12 is a permanent destination for schools like Oregon and Washington, as they would jump ship as soon as they received an invitation from either the B1G or the SEC.
I'm NOT saying they make up for the loss of Oklahoma and Texas but some believe Arizona State could be a sleeping giant if it ever gets its act together because it resides in one of the top TV markets. And Denver probably is attractive as well.

From everything I have read, Oregon and Washington have been begging the B1G to let them in the last few years to no avail. A big reason Warren's contract was not renewed was because he wanted UO and UW and the B1G presidents did not along with him fumbling COVID season. the XII offered UO and UW and they turned their noses up to it. Sounds like they will have to settle for the XII or ACC.

I would take UO and UW as long as Warren doesnt come back... cant stand that DB

There has to be a way we bring them in at a lower pay to start like we did.. dont know why USC and UCLA dont have to unless I'm mistaken there?

BiG TeN has to bring UW and UO in. Inventory will matter more and more for future contracts.
That's my view. With the reduction in the number of attractive college conference football deals and the simultaneous expansion of demand for content (ie., now with streaming) the leverage of the very top conferences with attractive inventory will grow. You have to fill those available hours.

At the moment it's true that media companies are going thru a cost reduction phase but that won't last forever into the future.

I think B1G put Oregon and Washington on hold because they didn't want to appear to be the ones destroying the PAC and they wanted to see if they could get Notre Dame. With Notre Dame seeming unlikely and the Big 12 about to destroy the PAC, Oregon and Washington will need a home. The B1G probably will be more receptive if the PAC is destroyed by somebody else.

IF I had my choice I would take Washington and Arizona state. Phoenix market huge. I know it'll never happen

That's my view. With the reduction in the number of attractive college conference football deals and the simultaneous expansion of demand for content (ie., now with streaming) the leverage of the very top conferences with attractive inventory will grow. You have to fill those available hours.

At the moment it's true that media companies are going thru a cost reduction phase but that won't last forever into the future.

I think B1G put Oregon and Washington on hold because they didn't want to appear to be the ones destroying the PAC and they wanted to see if they could get Notre Dame. With Notre Dame seeming unlikely and the Big 12 about to destroy the PAC, Oregon and Washington will need a home. The B1G probably will be more receptive if the PAC is destroyed by somebody else.
The only conferences with attractive inventory are the PAC 12 and the ACC. The ACC is safe for the moment due to their grant of rights which runs thru 2036. The PAC 12 is on shaky ground. However, the B1G did not take Oregon and Washington in the last round of expansion, so as long as those two schools stay, there is a glimmer of hope for the PAC 12.

If the B1G is smart, they will eventually go after Oregon, Washington, ND(maybe) and possibly Cal and Stanford.

Four would bring the league to 20. The revenue per school may not increase, but it’s still a big number and those are premium schools for branding. ND seems too much like a pussy to get out of their ACC deal, but geographically they are a perfect fit obviously.

If the B1G is smart, they will eventually go after Oregon, Washington, ND(maybe) and possibly Cal and Stanford.

Four would bring the league to 20. The revenue per school may not increase, but it’s still a big number and those are premium schools for branding. ND seems too much like a pussy to get out of their ACC deal, but geographically they are a perfect fit obviously.
Cal? No thanks. We already have 2 coastal schools disinterested in sports in Rutgers and Maryland. I would rather add Boston College than Cal if they got the other 3.

Notre Dame most likely isn't giving up their independent status anytime soon. If they are forced to join a conference, it would likely be the ACC, assuming the ACC hasn't fallen apart by then.

Notre Dame joining the B1G isn't very likely. The bad blood between Notre Dame and the B1G runs deep.

Notre Dame most likely isn't giving up their independent status anytime soon. If they are forced to join a conference, it would likely be the ACC, assuming the ACC hasn't fallen apart by then.

Notre Dame joining the B1G isn't very likely. The bad blood between Notre Dame and the B1G runs deep.
I love the thought of ND but I also wonder if they are even worth having around. The SEC is about to find out that having disgruntled schools isn't very fun. A&M is already disgruntled. Wait until Texas joins.

The BIG likes to take desperate schools that don't have leverage so later they can tell them to shut up when they complain.

I love the thought of ND but I also wonder if they are even worth having around. The SEC is about to find out that having disgruntled schools isn't very fun. A&M is already disgruntled. Wait until Texas joins.

The BIG likes to take desperate schools that don't have leverage so later they can tell them to shut up when they complain.
The main reason Texas A&M is disgruntled is because Texass is joining the SEC. However, Texas A&M, much like the desperate schools that the B1G likes to take doesn't have any leverage, so the SEC will tell them to shut up. Notre Dame isn't desperate by any means, which is why I don't see them joining a conference, especially the B1G.

If the BIG takes four more, they should seriously consider Oregon, Washington, ASU and Colorado. Four new states with big population bases. I never understood why Cal and Stanford are so high on the list, they add nothing athletically and they don't bring great fanbases. I do understand they are great academic institutions.
Nothing will happen with the ACC schools for 10 years

Reactions: moralvictories
If the BIG takes four more, they should seriously consider Oregon, Washington, ASU and Colorado. Four new states with big population bases. I never understood why Cal and Stanford are so high on the list, they add nothing athletically and they don't bring great fanbases. I do understand they are great academic institutions.
Add those four, and then the original Big Ten can have its wet dream: two divisions with the "new" teams, starting with PSU's addition in the 1980s, in one division; and a second division consisting only of those cold, boring teams in the north-central U.S.

They'll never have to play anybody else until the conference championship game.

Yeah, I only say that because the Big Ten is so snooty for academics. I don’t think Cal or Staford are ever going to be good in football. I think adding UW, Oregon would be enough to stop. Footprint wise, adding Colorado and Utah would cover a huge swath of the country. I could deal with that. I just don’t see how the AZ schools fit in, other than having hot chicks

Reactions: GMHusker
Unless majority bail which would negate any penalties

Adding nothing athletically isn't exactly correct for Stanford. They have a history of NCAA basketball and CWS appearances. Football probably has a better history than many BIG teams. For many years they might have been the most well rounded athletic program in the country.

These four schools are perfect options for the big 12.
Colorado makes sense for obvios reasons. Former member, denver area, geography.
Utah would be a good football addition to strengthen football.
Arizona increases the big twelve in basketball, making it the premier conference.
Arizona state is a huge university with ability to succeed in any sport nationally and a large alumni base. Get the phoenix market.
These four additions would add to the big 12 without watering it down.

As for the BIG, the only schools it should be interested in are Notre dame, kansas, and oregon.
Any other school depletes or waters down the conference.
I dont think the big needs to add anyone. But notre dame is a no brainer if possible.

As others have said, Cal would be a terrible addition.

Reactions: 250vertical
Notre Dame and try and steal Texas A&M as they might be ripe for the taking.

Yeah, I only say that because the Big Ten is so snooty for academics. I don’t think Cal or Staford are ever going to be good in football. I think adding UW, Oregon would be enough to stop. Footprint wise, adding Colorado and Utah would cover a huge swath of the country. I could deal with that. I just don’t see how the AZ schools fit in, other than having hot chicks
There must be a fair number of B1G alums living in Phoenix,

Only team I would be interested in if I were the B1G is ND. They have too many times to the B1G schools. If I had to take multiple it would be Washington, Oregon and maybe Stanford. I'd tell USC not to schedule ND unless they join the B1G.

Reactions: BleedRed78
There must be a fair number of B1G alums living in Phoenix,
True. I’d take the AZ schools over Cal/Stanford but just considering the academic snobbery of the conference, I can’t see that happening.
I really don’t care though either way… whether we stay at 16, add more, don’t really care as long as Nebraska becomes good again.
To me, just adding the LA schools was good enough. Now I can go to Husker games here in SoCal most years.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT