ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt tracker...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://hailvarsity.com/s/7590/2019-nebraska-football-redshirt-tracker
Changes to the redshirt rule are now part of the mainstream college football conversation. Players are available to play in up to four games while still maintaining their redshirt status, and the Huskers once again have a handful of true freshmen worth watching. So, we thought it would once again be prudent to keep track of how the Huskers are doing in that regard.

The following will be updated each week to reflect participation among redshirt-eligible players. Walk-on players will be added to the table as they see time on the field.

PLAYER Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Redshirt Burned
WR Jamie Nance
WR Demariyon Houston
QB Luke McCaffrey
ILB Jackson Hannah
DB Quinton Newsome X X X
WR Darien Chase X
RB Rahmir Johnson X
DB Myles Farmer X
RB Ronald Thompkins
DB Noa Pola-Gates X X
DB Javin Wright
ILB Garrett Snodgrass
ILB Nick Henrich
OLB Garrett Nelson X X X
DL Mosai Newsom
OL Bryce Benhart X
OL Ethan Piper
OL Matthew Anderson
OL Brant Banks
OL Michael Lynn
OL Jimmy Fritzsche
TE Chris Hickman
OLB Jamin Graham
DL Ty Robinson
WR Wan’Dale Robinson X X X
PK Dylan Jorgensen X X
LB Luke Reimer X

What's up with Jackson Hannah? Thought he would be in line to play this year. If Jaimes injury is serious the shirt comes off Benhart. Need to let Darien Chase and some off these young receivers play as well.

Last edited:
If we hadn’t left some points on the board we probably coulda had backups in earlier and avoided Jaimes injury- just sayin.
I thought they woulda got more rotation of backups starting a little bit earlier last night, but it was still good to see guys get some time and make a few plays.

If he is as advertised, there will not be a RS senior season
If that were the case he would probably be playing already. Just because he was highly rated doesn't mean he doesn't have to be developed just like any other player.

Oldjar Tennessee is starting both their true freshman tackles. They are taking their lumps this year but I predict next year will be a different story. Benhart needs to be playing.....

PLAYER Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Redshirt Burned
WR Jamie Nance
WR Demariyon Houston
QB Luke McCaffrey X
ILB Jackson Hannah
DB Quinton Newsome X X X X Burned
WR Darien Chase X X
RB Rahmir Johnson X X
DB Myles Farmer X X
RB Ronald Thompkins
DB Noa Pola-Gates X X X X
DB Javin Wright X
ILB Garrett Snodgrass
ILB Nick Henrich
OLB Garrett Nelson X X X X Burned
DL Mosai Newsom
OL Bryce Benhart X
OL Ethan Piper
OL Matthew Anderson
OL Brant Banks
OL Michael Lynn
OL Jimmy Fritzsche
TE Chris Hickman X
OLB Jamin Graham
DL Ty Robinson
WR Wan’Dale Robinson X X X X Burned
PK Dylan Jorgensen X X
LB Luke Reimer X X X X
DL Jahkeem Green X

Can't worry about redshirts. These guys need to start gaining experience. Our coaches need to have confidence in recruiting down the line.
There's 5 games left, at least one of which we have no shot in. There's no use burning redshirts on guys who haven't even played yet this year.

Reactions: bigredhunter
Can't worry about redshirts. These guys need to start gaining experience. Our coaches need to have confidence in recruiting down the line.
In the future, totally agree, but too late in this season to burn them now.

There's 5 games left, at least one of which we have no shot in. There's no use burning redshirts on guys who haven't even played yet this year.
I agree. Frost just talked about how tough it is when you're up against 21 and 22 year old men at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio St. I would much rather have 21 or 22 year old 5th year Seniors vs sacrificing a 5th year so 17 and 18 year old True Freshmen can gain 5 games of experience

Shortcuts won't help long term!! If we want to maximize the talent in our recruiting classes then we need to redshirt, develop, and retain as many as we can.

I agree. Frost just talked about how tough it is when you're up against 21 and 22 year old men at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio St. I would much rather have 21 or 22 year old 5th year Seniors vs sacrificing a 5th year so 17 and 18 year old True Freshmen can gain 5 games of experience

Shortcuts won't help long term!! If we want to maximize the talent in our recruiting classes then we need to redshirt, develop, and retain as many as we can.

Can someone show me that Ohio state has a bunch of 21 and 22 year olds starting? They seem to always have a bunch of freshman and sophomores starting.

edit- our entire starting DLine and 3/5 of our starting OLine are at least 3rd year players, making them at least 21. Perhaps it isn’t age of player.

If that were the case he would probably be playing already. Just because he was highly rated doesn't mean he doesn't have to be developed just like any other player.
He's second on the depth chart and right now and our 3rd tackle as a true freshman. They'll probably try to save his shirt but I won't be surprised to see him use a year this year. He's going to be a stud with a little more meat on his bones. He's shown he can get well over 300. Just need to sculpt it as he puts it on. I suspect he'll have the option of leaving early if he wants.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/ohio-state/91533
Can someone show me that Ohio state has a bunch of 21 and 22 year olds starting? They seem to always have a bunch of freshman and sophomores starting.

edit- our entire starting DLine and 3/5 of our starting OLine are at least 3rd year players, making them at least 21. Perhaps it isn’t age of player.
You serious Clark? As much as I disagree with you on your opinions, you are usually spot on in regard to facts. Yeah Ohio State is playing a lot of older class-men this year.

Reactions: bigredhunter

Ohio State's OLine doesn't have anyone younger than a 3rd yr Sophomore starting. The entire line has played college ball for 3 to 5 years. Thats time they've spent in a college strength and conditioning program. Add the fact that they recruit at a top 5 level.

So to compete, we'd look to burn redshirts and start True Freshmen half through the season!!

This doesn't come down to age, it comes down to development. The more time in the program the better. I'd rather not have our OLinemen playing fresh out of high school when instead we can have 4 to 5 solid years in the program.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Ohio State's OLine doesn't have anyone younger than a 3rd yr Sophomore starting. The entire line has played college ball for 3 to 5 years. Thats time they've spent in a college strength and conditioning program. Add the fact that they recruit at a top 5 level.

So to compete, we'd look to burn redshirts and start True Freshmen half through the season!!

This doesn't come down to age, it comes down to development. The more time in the program the better. I'd rather not have our OLinemen playing fresh out of high school when instead we can have 4 to 5 solid years in the program.
Here are the OLine of the top teams in the country. The trend continues. 21 of the 25 starters have been in their program for 3 years or more. Also there is only 1 True Freshman starter.

*Red players have been in the program less than 3 years

#1 Alabama
1 Senior
3 Juniors
1 Freshman, 5 star recruit, #1 at his position

#2 LSU
2 Seniors (1 redshirted)
3 Juniors (1 redshirted)

#3 Ohio St
2 Senior (1 redshirted)
1 Junior
2 Sophomores (2 redshirted)

#4 Clemson
4 Seniors
1 Sophomore, 5 stars, #2 at his position

#5 Oklahoma
1 Senior (1 redshirt)
2 Sophomores (2 redshirts)
2 Freshmen (2 redshirts), both 4 stars, #4 and #6 at their positions

Last edited:
https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/ohio-state/91533
You serious Clark? As much as I disagree with you on your opinions, you are usually spot on in regard to facts. Yeah Ohio State is playing a lot of older class-men this year.

I asked a question. I wasn't stating a fact. I literally asked for someone to show me that they had a bunch of 21 and 22 year olds. Then followed it up with it SEEMS that they always have a bunch of freshman and sophomores starting. I didn't say, Ohio St does not have a bunch of 21 or 22 year olds starting.

I then showed that Nebraska has 6 of 8 starters on their offensive and defensive lines that are at least that age. So perhaps it isn't age. Perhaps it is about talent and development.

I asked a question. I wasn't stating a fact. I literally asked for someone to show me that they had a bunch of 21 and 22 year olds. Then followed it up with it SEEMS that they always have a bunch of freshman and sophomores starting. I didn't say, Ohio St does not have a bunch of 21 or 22 year olds starting.

I then showed that Nebraska has 6 of 8 starters on their offensive and defensive lines that are at least that age. So perhaps it isn't age. Perhaps it is about talent and development.
I agree with you 100%. Progress doesn't come from getting older, it comes from consistent development. Over the years our players should get closer and closer to reaching full potential.

I'd hope our True Freshmen OLinemen would be significantly better once they've been in the program for 3 to 5 years versus being fresh out of high school. I really hope we don't burn our redshirts!

We aren't recruiting at the level of Ohio State and probably never will. Probably one of the best ways to close that gap with Ohio State is to have a lot of 4th and 5th year guys who have been developed well. There's tons of examples of guys who didn't do anything as underclassmen, but improve and play at an all conference level by the time they're juniors and seniors. On teams with good development programs, there's no comparison between an 18 year old freshman and a 22 year old senior. There's an incredible amount of physical and mental development that can happen in that time period.

Rairdon...was rated higher
Raridon puzzles me. When I saw him play in the spring game the guy looked quick and looked to me like he made blocks. Could somebody enlighten me as to why with Hixson's struggles Raridon hasn't gotten a shot?

when is the last time we had an offensive linemen rated as high as Benhart?
Benhart was 4* and a .9349 rating.

Jurgens was close, 4* at .9227 if you wanna ignore that he was a TE on the recruiting services.

Otherwise it's Raridon. 247 had him as a .9452 rating. Few years on and we're still waiting to see it from him.

Paul Thurston in the 2012 class was .9407 and I legitimately don't remember him at all.

We aren't recruiting at the level of Ohio State and probably never will. Probably one of the best ways to close that gap with Ohio State is to have a lot of 4th and 5th year guys who have been developed well. There's tons of examples of guys who didn't do anything as underclassmen, but improve and play at an all conference level by the time they're juniors and seniors. On teams with good development programs, there's no comparison between an 18 year old freshman and a 22 year old senior. There's an incredible amount of physical and mental development that can happen in that time period.

Here is my opinion. I hope by the time that Lynn, Banks and Anderson are in their 3rd year, that there are 3 guys younger than them that come in and beat them out. Then we can have 3 "old" dudes that are good enough to be backups and not just starting because they are RS Jr or RS Sr's.

I have written my opinion on RS many times. My best explanation was as a member of another site and I can't seem to locate how I wrote it. But it goes something like this.

Numbers are the key. You have to figure out a way to cycle out enough non contributing players in 4 years or less so that you can continue to recruit 25 players every year. If you redshirt every freshman, you will never get to that point. You will only be able recruit 18-21 players per year. So what happens is that you find yourself sitting with noncontributing players on your roster, with nothing but the hope that they will be productive as RS Jrs and RS Srs. My opinion is that is a silly way to manage a roster.

To me I would only redshirt walkons, and guys I took a flyer on.

My theory is this:

if a guy is a high 4 star or 5 star player, I am not redshirting because if he is as good as advertised, he won't be here all 5 years. If he is not as good as advertised, I want him to just use his 4 years and be gone so another scholarship opens up in 4 years rather than 5.

If a player is a mid- high 3 star to 4 star, I am not redshirting because, IF I do my job as a recruiter, I replace that same level player with at least that same level player every year. Also, if I do my job as a developmental coach, I can get the next player to be as good as the one before him.

If a guy is unranked to a mid 3 star, I would probably redshirt because I saw an undeveloped talent that I am not giving a scholarship to or a player that I can develop enough to provide depth when they are Jrs and Srs. But, again, if I am doing my job as a recruiter, the number of scholarships should be low.

Each year there are, on average, 40-44 players that see any significant playing time. Turning the roster over and doing my best to replace the departing player with a better player is my job as a coach.

If I am able to recruit 25 per year, I get 100 guys per 4 year cycle, If I redshirt a majority of every class, I only get to 68-80 over the same period, depending on attrition. The more players you can sign, the better chance you have of finding more difference makers.

Good discussion

Here is my opinion. I hope by the time that Lynn, Banks and Anderson are in their 3rd year, that there are 3 guys younger than them that come in and beat them out. Then we can have 3 "old" dudes that are good enough to be backups and not just starting because they are RS Jr or RS Sr's.

I have written my opinion on RS many times. My best explanation was as a member of another site and I can't seem to locate how I wrote it. But it goes something like this.

Numbers are the key. You have to figure out a way to cycle out enough non contributing players in 4 years or less so that you can continue to recruit 25 players every year. If you redshirt every freshman, you will never get to that point. You will only be able recruit 18-21 players per year. So what happens is that you find yourself sitting with noncontributing players on your roster, with nothing but the hope that they will be productive as RS Jrs and RS Srs. My opinion is that is a silly way to manage a roster.

To me I would only redshirt walkons, and guys I took a flyer on.

My theory is this:

if a guy is a high 4 star or 5 star player, I am not redshirting because if he is as good as advertised, he won't be here all 5 years. If he is not as good as advertised, I want him to just use his 4 years and be gone so another scholarship opens up in 4 years rather than 5.

If a player is a mid- high 3 star to 4 star, I am not redshirting because, IF I do my job as a recruiter, I replace that same level player with at least that same level player every year. Also, if I do my job as a developmental coach, I can get the next player to be as good as the one before him.

If a guy is unranked to a mid 3 star, I would probably redshirt because I saw an undeveloped talent that I am not giving a scholarship to or a player that I can develop enough to provide depth when they are Jrs and Srs. But, again, if I am doing my job as a recruiter, the number of scholarships should be low.

Each year there are, on average, 40-44 players that see any significant playing time. Turning the roster over and doing my best to replace the departing player with a better player is my job as a coach.

If I am able to recruit 25 per year, I get 100 guys per 4 year cycle, If I redshirt a majority of every class, I only get to 68-80 over the same period, depending on attrition. The more players you can sign, the better chance you have of finding more difference makers.

Good discussion
This staff doesn't seem to have a problem with attrition for a variety of reasons. If a guy come in and 3 or 4 years down the road he still sucks, go ahead and get rid of him. At the same time, what harm would it do to redshirt him his freshman year? If he ends up a non contributor, you can get rid of him in the same amount of time if he graduates in 4 years without a redshirt or you cut him after his redshirt junior year if he's never going to see the field.

However let's say you have a player come in, let's just say his name is Suh. He's not ready to play his first year so we go ahead and redshirt him. The next couple years he plays but doesn't really accomplish much. It isn't until quarter way through his redshirt junior year that he starts to breakout and become a special player. If we do as you say and not redshirt any of our players, you only get one good year out of him. But wait, we did redshirt him and by the time he's a 5th year senior he's become one of the most dominant forces college football has ever seen.

Since you decided to redshirt him, you got 2 great years out of a player as an upperclassmen instead of trying to replace that player through recruiting and if you fail, you end up with another year of a Cameron Meredith type playing defensive tackle.

This staff doesn't seem to have a problem with attrition for a variety of reasons. If a guy come in and 3 or 4 years down the road he still sucks, go ahead and get rid of him. At the same time, what harm would it do to redshirt him his freshman year? If he ends up a non contributor, you can get rid of him in the same amount of time if he graduates in 4 years without a redshirt or you cut him after his redshirt junior year if he's never going to see the field.

However let's say you have a player come in, let's just say his name is Suh. He's not ready to play his first year so we go ahead and redshirt him. The next couple years he plays but doesn't really accomplish much. It isn't until quarter way through his redshirt junior year that he starts to breakout and become a special player. If we do as you say and not redshirt any of our players, you only get one good year out of him. But wait, we did redshirt him and by the time he's a 5th year senior he's become one of the most dominant forces college football has ever seen.

Since you decided to redshirt him, you got 2 great years out of a player as an upperclassmen instead of trying to replace that player through recruiting and if you fail, you end up with another year of a Cameron Meredith type playing defensive tackle.

Cam Meredith???? really??? thanks for playing, your consolation prize awaits

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT