ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had your head under a rock?

This staff and support structure is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where our last staff was. It's not even fair to compare the two. That's how much better things are right now, not only for 2016, but already extending into 2018.
Why is EVERYTHING compared to the "LAST STAFF" on this board? Nowhere else does this happen. I swear, a handful of you are like jealous ex girlfriends of Peelini who f'ed your best friend. How about we compare our current coaching staff to a staff that actually won trophies at DONU? Probably because Smiley and his staff are so far from being successful like TO & co. that your narrative would be crushed.

Why is EVERYTHING compared to the "LAST STAFF" on this board? Nowhere else does this happen.
If you don't like it, leave, nobody is forcing you to read and respond on HOL.

Oh, almost forgot, lmgdmfao at wanting to compare Riley to Osborne. You blotards did that for 7 seasons with your hero, didn't work out very well.

Why is EVERYTHING compared to the "LAST STAFF" on this board? Nowhere else does this happen. I swear, a handful of you are like jealous ex girlfriends of Peelini who f'ed your best friend. How about we compare our current coaching staff to a staff that actually won trophies at DONU? Probably because Smiley and his staff are so far from being successful like TO & co. that your narrative would be crushed.
Are you serious? No where else does this happen? No other school ever compares the current coach to the previous coach?

Dude, what's it to you? If the previous regime took weeks off from recruiting or even made claims about recruiting from his car, it's pretty acceptable to compare the differences between the coaching staffs. So again, what's the big deal?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Tim & Tim, what a surprise. There's 2 of the Smilin' 5. Expand your internet favorites and actually read other forums. Other program's fans DO NOT turn every discussion into a "former staff" argument like you guys. It's pretty funny though, how you always accuse everyone else of being Peelini suck-offs when you're the ones who ALWAYS bring him up. Classic obsessive behavior. Where you at Arch'? Probably trying to figure out where that strange pair of underwear in your top drawer came from.

Reactions: SDhusker12
Agreed! This staff knows how to recruit, it doesn't mean they will get every player they want but they know what they are doing. You will be hard pressed to find a Husker fan that doesn't think this current class ends up in the 15-20 range.

From 2013 on the 20th ranked team hasn't had below 1838 pts and each year they've had more than that, we're currently at 1234 pts and ranked 42. We're averaging 83 pts a recruit. Unless we start getting significantly higher ranked recruits we won't make the top 20 this year. We may be hard pressed to hit 25. Or they could go through and improve the rankings of all of our guys, but that is unlikely.

Jesus. I've been as hard on Riley as just about anybody here. How long do you think it actually takes to build recruiting relationships? For crying out loud, give the guy a chance to show what he can do at least through the end of next year.

So do you think Riley has been a coach for 30 or 40+ years and doesn't have recruiting relationships?

I always love an old smoke and mirrors trick. Talk about how bad someone else was automatically means the other person is an expert. But the way I see it, the smartest kid in special ed is still in special ed.

So I keep hearing top 15 to top 20 class finish for Riley this year? Can't wait!!! We have what, 10 commits to go? So Riley's going land like 6 4-stars at least (and I mean at least), these next 2 months to achieve that? Going to be a fun next few weeks, cause you guys wouldn't be blowing smoke would ya?

Hahaha. Umm. I can read. So I know how solid recruiting is right now. to deny the massive improvements on the recruiting front is pure ignorance.

Hahaha. Umm. I can read. So I know how solid recruiting is right now. to deny the massive improvements on the recruiting front is pure ignorance.
I agree recruiting at least the structure of it is better - we do still need to see results but I trust they are coming

But you cannot deny the point:

Pelini sucked at recruiting so why is that the benchmark for Riley - the last good recruiting staff we had was Callahan. I think if you compared Riley to both of these guys he is somewhere in the middle

The question is -- Is it enough to get us to where we want to go

Tim & Tim, what a surprise. There's 2 of the Smilin' 5. Expand your internet favorites and actually read other forums. Other program's fans DO NOT turn every discussion into a "former staff" argument like you guys. It's pretty funny though, how you always accuse everyone else of being Peelini suck-offs when you're the ones who ALWAYS bring him up. Classic obsessive behavior. Where you at Arch'? Probably trying to figure out where that strange pair of underwear in your top drawer came from.

Horrible troll post aside, the "Smilin 5" reference makes it all worthwhile. I almost spit my orange juice on the monitor. I don't know all the members of the "Smilin 5", but by George, I want in!

Reactions: bigboxes
I agree recruiting at least the structure of it is better - we do still need to see results but I trust they are coming

But you cannot deny the point:

Pelini sucked at recruiting so why is that the benchmark for Riley - the last good recruiting staff we had was Callahan. I think if you compared Riley to both of these guys he is somewhere in the middle

The question is -- Is it enough to get us to where we want to go

"Trust but verify" said Ronald Reagan.

We'll see. Given what's in the barn today, we have a long ways to go.

I challenge you to find a post where I ALWAYS bring up Pelini. I don't. Period. If someone else does, I may contribute to the thread, but I have never started off talking about Pelini.

Truth be told, and you already know this, there are certain members who post here that all they post is crap (in my opinion). I don't follow any of them, but if they post garbage, I'm usually quick to respond. Yes, I've responded to you often... Tells you what I think of your posts, I guess.

It is convenient that whenever I take issue of things you post, you never answer the questions I pose, just try to deflect. You've done well with that, even in this response. So I will ask again, what's the problem with comparing what Riley is doing in recruiting (the foundation he is laying) with what Pelini did in recruiting? Is there a board rule prohibiting this? Why does this bother you so much? Can't wait for the next non-answer...

EDIT: I also challenge you to find where I have ever called another person a Pelini backer... If I have ever done that (and I don't ever remember doing it), it has only happened once or twice.

Yes, our record did suck and it definitely raises question marks as to whether Riley is the right man for the job, but you might want to go back and read what I said. I think what you are insinuating I was saying, as opposed to what I was actually saying, are pretty far apart, don't you?

Also, what if that "once in a lifetime" recruiting class somewhat gets the ball rolling? What then?

Answering easiest question first, if "next year" gets the ball rolling that would be great. If "next year" does not get the ball rolling then "next year" will simply be the year that a former all-pro football player funneled players into our program. How deep is the Keyshawn Johnson well, does it run dry after "next year"?

I was not trying to insinuate or put words in someone else's mouth. I asked two questions. BUT, I was not the one bringing up assigning "credit" and at no point have I tried to assign credit to anyone other than Riley. My opinion, coaches can pick up recruits from people who they know, that is part of recruiting. If we are relying on someone outside the program, it just may not be sustainable and may not be a true reflection of this staff's recruiting ability.

"Next year" = the year Keyshawn Johnson funnels (could funnel) a number of highly rated recruits into our program. For the uninformed, they could be wowed by next years recruiting and think Riley was maybe just off to a slow start this year. I don't know the number, is it 3 highly rated players from KJ's 7 on 7 team that could land here in 2017? Riley will get the credit for "next year", but it could be an aberration if the KJ well is dry. Before the ink was dry on the 2015 recruiting class, it seemed like most were saying they would judge recruiting off the 2016 class.

Riley and staff appear to be normal coaches, not super-human, omniscient, juggernauts of the coaching profession. Our recruiting will need to be very good EVERY YEAR if we are to improve. I would like to see us in the vicinity of top 20 or better classes every year. Is that reasonable expectation for a NU coaching staff to be able to deliver, I don't know.

As I do not assume anything in recruiting, I believe we are not setting too bad with some quality athletes. Where we rank is not that important, as the feeling of getting high quality athletes that fill the need of this staff. Negative recruiting seems to be at an all time high from certain schools. Hopefully kids see through the smoke screen and go with their heart. It is pretty obvious this year that we do not have the type of athletes that we need for coach Riley"s systems. Consequently you saw a number of freshmen play right away and they will continue to do that until they can get their athletes in the program. So kids will see they will play early. This staff works recruiting, as a priority and their support staff is top notch to identify kids that can fit their system no matter the rank on websites. Watch as they fill the rest of the recruiting class that they hit high need areas with good athletes. The program is in a transition time that looks to be moving in a solid direction. I am feeling positive about Nebraska, even as we had a number of close losses, we can see we are not that far off sustained success. GBR!

Blotards, they are one of a kind.
How does this comment add to the football discussion on this thread? Both sides of this critique are fine now, they will measured at signing day. Let's get the opinions out now so there's no revisionist history on signing day.

Thanks for further explaining your opinion. I do not totally disagree with many of your points. You are right, next year could be just the "lightning in a bottle" recruiting class for Riley and his staff and not be a true reflection of his recruiting prowess. :Though this is not fair to Riley, because of where he was at before, he still has not shown that he has consistently had the ability to draw in the elite of the elite recruits into his program. At this point, all we can do is hope that his inability to do this has much more to do with where he was at, than himself or his staff...... and hope that this will be proven by landing at NU; a landing spot where he has many more resources at his disposal in regards to recruiting.

My uneasiness with Riley has had much more to do with some of the decisions in play calling, game management, and NU's lack of improvement in the area of penalties. My hope is that Riley will be able to improve all of this once he gets "his guys" in there. Obviously, the jury is out in regards to your last couple of sentences in your above response. I am pulling for MR......I am just not sure it will happen.

All of this being said, the idea if firing MR right now.....or even next year......is not very bright. I guess all I am saying is, in reference to many of the same people starting threads ten times a week, bitching about the same damn things, gets really old. I have seen this "we're 42nd ranked" thread ad nauseam, also. On the other side of this, we have a couple of posters that start another ten threads a week about how great MR is. Those suck just as bad.

We are going to find out over the next year and a quarter just how good.....or bad..... of a recruiter MR is. I think we should at least let that period of time play out before we decide to burn MR at the stake. If we are not top twenty in recruiting at have less than 8-9 wins, hell, I'll bring the torch to light the fire.

Horrible troll post aside, the "Smilin 5" reference makes it all worthwhile. I almost spit my orange juice on the monitor. I don't know all the members of the "Smilin 5", but by George, I want in!
There are a few criteria before you enter this club:

1. Use the word blotard once every day, but mostly when you're by yourself in the shower.
2. Ignore all facts relating to MR's historical incompetence & lack of any reasoning to hire him at DONU.
3. If anybody disagrees with you, call them a name and blame their opinion on love for the "last staff."
4. Get your mom's permission.

There are a few criteria before you enter this club:

1. Use the word blotard once every day, but mostly when you're by yourself in the shower.
2. Ignore all facts relating to MR's historical incompetence & lack of any reasoning to hire him at DONU.
3. If anybody disagrees with you, call them a name and blame their opinion on love for the "last staff."
4. Get your mom's permission.
1. You are a blotard.
2. Just like you blotards ignored everything, for 7 seasons.
3. You are a blotard.
4. You are a blotard.

I challenge you to find a post where I ALWAYS bring up Pelini. I don't. Period. If someone else does, I may contribute to the thread, but I have never started off talking about Pelini.

Truth be told, and you already know this, there are certain members who post here that all they post is crap (in my opinion). I don't follow any of them, but if they post garbage, I'm usually quick to respond. Yes, I've responded to you often... Tells you what I think of your posts, I guess.

It is convenient that whenever I take issue of things you post, you never answer the questions I pose, just try to deflect. You've done well with that, even in this response. So I will ask again, what's the problem with comparing what Riley is doing in recruiting (the foundation he is laying) with what Pelini did in recruiting? Is there a board rule prohibiting this? Why does this bother you so much? Can't wait for the next non-answer...

EDIT: I also challenge you to find where I have ever called another person a Pelini backer... If I have ever done that (and I don't ever remember doing it), it has only happened once or twice.
ThereIsNoPlace, once again addressing other posters but not answering simple questions... So why are you so upset that people might be comparing this staff's recruiting to last staff's recruiting?

Reactions: dinglefritz
ThereIsNoPlace, once again addressing other posters but not answering simple questions... So why are you so upset that people might be comparing this staff's recruiting to last staff's recruiting?
Blotards gonna do what blotards do best.

As I do not assume anything in recruiting, I believe we are not setting too bad with some quality athletes. Where we rank is not that important, as the feeling of getting high quality athletes that fill the need of this staff. Negative recruiting seems to be at an all time high from certain schools. Hopefully kids see through the smoke screen and go with their heart. It is pretty obvious this year that we do not have the type of athletes that we need for coach Riley"s systems. Consequently you saw a number of freshmen play right away and they will continue to do that until they can get their athletes in the program. So kids will see they will play early. This staff works recruiting, as a priority and their support staff is top notch to identify kids that can fit their system no matter the rank on websites. Watch as they fill the rest of the recruiting class that they hit high need areas with good athletes. The program is in a transition time that looks to be moving in a solid direction. I am feeling positive about Nebraska, even as we had a number of close losses, we can see we are not that far off sustained success. GBR!
I agree with this post in many ways. This transition season has been hard on recruiting, the negative recruiting, and kids need to understand that we need different athletes to run this type of system. It's not like we have been getting blown out either this year. It's just a transition.

Furthermore, I think this staff is much better organized overall, including recruiting. Now how much does organization play into successful recruiting? I am not sure, but one thing that I do believe is, when one is organized, there is less of a chance of missing something. This was a problem in the past that caused players to get missed entirely as well as gaping holes in the roster at certain positions.

Talent evaluation. I think we can safely assume our coaches have a good eye for talent. It's seems that coach Riley is respected in this regard, and other coaches will offer kids just because Mike does.

So in conclusion, I think we will be ok, but it is sort of like trying to ride a bike in the high gear. It takes a lot of effort to get the wheel going at first.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Does this make you feel better because you only ignored everything for 5 or 6 seasons?

This is false. Long before I had met HTO we had detailed conversations on this forum regarding components of Pelini's staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT