ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
There is still a couple months left to see how we end up but some general observations:

• I think the staff has made good inroads to the 500 mile area. This was going to be a challenge this year as most of them are new to the recruiting area but they have done a sound job on "Local " recruits. Many of our recruits this year will still come from the west coast but that is to be expected
  • Langsdorf is much like Watson used to be " Your job is to get your QB every year" Watson always struck out Langsdorf already has his guy - Good job
  • The recruiting seems to be concentrated in a few of the coaches with others not contributing - Bray is doing good Cavanaugh is getting guys then you have Read who signs a kicker out of Washington. Why not sign an unranked kicker out of Nebraska the odds of the kid not getting home sick are better - I swear I know not what this guy does except make a bunch of money
  • I am concerned we are still low in numbers, maybe it because of the quality of the guys they are going after but as organized as they are at recruiting and with the effort good, I thought we would be further along.
  • We are ranked pretty low in rivals but our average star rating is decent so if they can close with the same quality of recruit we should finish decent this year

Reactions: Fstice
  • The recruiting seems to be concentrated in a few of the coaches with others not contributing

This is the big one for me. Less then half of them seem to be doing any work.

We have been told they can recruit but I am still waiting to see it. I keep hoping the can close.

We have been told they can recruit but I am still waiting to see it.

Have you had your head under a rock?

This staff and support structure is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where our last staff was. It's not even fair to compare the two. That's how much better things are right now, not only for 2016, but already extending into 2018.

This staff and support structure is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where our last staff was. It's not even fair to compare the two. That's how much better things are right now, not only for 2016, but already extending into 2018.
Agreed! This staff knows how to recruit, it doesn't mean they will get every player they want but they know what they are doing. You will be hard pressed to find a Husker fan that doesn't think this current class ends up in the 15-20 range.

Reactions: timnsun

Couldn't agree more. People can disagree all they want but take a gander at 247 sports recruiting. These coaches are making huge strides and getting kids to de-commit from big name programs (or at least consider N)! We only have 15 commits right now ranked #30 ish, other schools have 19-24. Lots of kids are getting more interested than they ever have before about being N. By signing day, I expect this staff to have the 2016 class ranked #19-22.

We'll know when the recruiting improves because debacles like the Purdue game will only be in the rear view mirror.

Who said anything about the last staff??? We have been told about how they can recruit and are still have not seen the results.

The first result you will see is in two months when Riley lands a top 15-20 class and the 3rd best class in the Big Ten.
This. The parents of the kids that we are offering/going after are practically in love with Riley upon first meeting in their living rooms. Parents have big saying power in a kid's final decision.

Be honest, even though some of you might hate Riley and all of us hate how this season turned out...but be honest, can't you see this class finishing 15-20?

I think that is the hope and I feel this staff will be overall better recruiters - they are organized and work hard at it - still has to happen though

Reactions: maplesyrup95
There is not much value in critiquing recruiting until the ink is dry on the letters. All signs point to an organized, focused effort and some key kids have us on their radars, but if they slip away and their aren't some gems we don't know about, we could be disappointed in the end. Two early enrollees making their decisions in the next few days and if they commit to the good guys, I will be encouraged.

I think this is the first time I've seen people post that we shouldn't go after a highly ranked kicker simply because he might be homesick.

I don't like Read either, but getting one of the best punters available is not a fault.

nor should we recruit a kicker who might be inclined to have a portion of his liver harvested to donate to a relative

in fact that should be a question that is posed to every recruit ....

"hypothetically if a loved one suddenly is in need of a kidney, liver, lung or any other spare organ that you may have would you be inclined to jump ship?"

we've been burned by this one in the past because the scenario wasn't properly vetted prior to a handing out a scholarship

name that player _______________________

Who said anything about the last staff??? We have been told about how they can recruit and are still have not seen the results.

I always love an old smoke and mirrors trick. Talk about how bad someone else was automatically means the other person is an expert. But the way I see it, the smartest kid in special ed is still in special ed.

So I keep hearing top 15 to top 20 class finish for Riley this year? Can't wait!!! We have what, 10 commits to go? So Riley's going land like 6 4-stars at least (and I mean at least), these next 2 months to achieve that? Going to be a fun next few weeks, cause you guys wouldn't be blowing smoke would ya?

Last edited:
Reactions: suhnami
I accidentally hit my thumb and finger with a hammer. Hitting my finger was much better.

My best guess we land in the vicinity of 30th for the 2016 class. Realistically, if we land some top-rated recruits we could finish in the low 20's. The year that Keyshawn Johnson fills our class we should do much better.

I don't see us finishing better than low 20's, as the potential recruits being discussed haven't been rated highly. (Edit: potential recruits are not highly rated as a whole).

Last edited:
nor should we recruit a kicker who might be inclined to have a portion of his liver harvested to donate to a relative

in fact that should be a question that is posed to every recruit ....

"hypothetically if a loved one suddenly is in need of a kidney, liver, lung or any other spare organ that you may have would you be inclined to jump ship?"

we've been burned by this one in the past because the scenario wasn't properly vetted prior to a handing out a scholarship

name that player _______________________

Jordan Congdon

On any staff you're going to have a few recruiting rock stars who seem to be doing most of the work. That's how you want to run things, you don't try to make everyone do the same thing regardless of skill. You give the job to the guys who are good at it.

Hopefully they can shoot the lights out down the stretch and get a few more bigtime kids, make a flip or two. I'd be happy with a top-25 class for year one I guess. Ultimately NU will need a run of top-15 and top-10 if there are going to be rings going on fingers.

isn't he the one that ended up kicking at USC? seems like it didn't go to well for him. he just never developed enough leg strength to be a power 5 conf kicker.

isn't he the one that ended up kicking at USC? seems like it didn't go to well for him. he just never developed enough leg strength to be a power 5 conf kicker.

yes .. he got home sick and wanted to go home but trumped up a story about going home to donate a portion of his liver .. I believe he was related to one of the mods .. possibly Roz

Jesus. I've been as hard on Riley as just about anybody here. How long do you think it actually takes to build recruiting relationships? For crying out loud, give the guy a chance to show what he can do at least through the end of next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: wwstormking
Jesus. I've been is hard on Riley is just about anybody here. How long do you think it actually takes to build recruiting relationships? For crying out loud, give the guy a chance to show what he can do at least through the end of next year.

Next year Keyshawn Johnson may be responsible for the recruiting class. Which, I don't care how we end up with a good recruiting class (by the rules of course), BUT if we are judging the coaching staff it has to be sustainable to some degree.

Our veteran coaching staff should have talked with numerous players in PAST years. If OrSU was holding Riley back from top recruiting classes, well, that obstacle was removed.

... And regardless of how Keyshawn Johnson Jr (and his crew) gets here, would you not say that Riley was responsible for getting him here? Or are we not going to give Riley credit for that, either?

Reactions: GretnaShawn
... And regardless of how Keyshawn Johnson Jr (and his crew) gets here, would you not say that Riley was responsible for getting him here? Or are we not going to give Riley credit for that, either?
No I think 2017 goes to Johnson, not Riley. We'll have to wait til 2018 to see if Riley can recruit, unless Gebbia comes in 2018 and is a cheerleader... Then we need to wait til 2019...

I'm happy that Keyshawn Johnson and Riley have a great relationship. Riley should be commended for developing such a good relationship that a former player would direct top recruits to Riley. Riley should get credit even if it is by-way-of Keyshawn Johnson. BUT, I recognize that this may be a once-in-a-lifetime recruiting class for Riley. There are quite a few people saying "wait until next year", which is the year Keyshawn will be directing more recruits our way. Shall we give Riley a Kirk Ferentz "lifetime" contract based on next year's recruiting class? Shall we base Riley's recruiting ability on the year that Keyshawn directs more recruits our way? If Keyshawn continues indefinitely funneling players into our program than I would consider that great, and kudo's to Riley.

This would be "no need to discuss" if we would have won more games this year. We didn't. We don't have a superstar recruiting class at this point. We currently have 2 top 250 players on our commit list. One of them committed before Riley was the coach.

I'm happy that Keyshawn Johnson and Riley have a great relationship. Riley should be commended for developing such a good relationship that a former player would direct top recruits to Riley. Riley should get credit even if it is by-way-of Keyshawn Johnson. BUT, I recognize that this may be a once-in-a-lifetime recruiting class for Riley. There are quite a few people saying "wait until next year", which is the year Keyshawn will be directing more recruits our way. Shall we give Riley a Kirk Ferentz "lifetime" contract based on next year's recruiting class? Shall we base Riley's recruiting ability on the year that Keyshawn directs more recruits our way? If Keyshawn continues indefinitely funneling players into our program than I would consider that great, and kudo's to Riley.

This would be "no need to discuss" if we would have won more games this year. We didn't. We don't have a superstar recruiting class at this point. We currently have 2 top 250 players on our commit list. One of them committed before Riley was the coach.

If Riley lands a sub par, disappointing class this year, will you be first in line to defend it as the fault of the athletes recruited?

Most of what you posted here I'm fine with. But if we get a great class next year it's pretty crappy to say it is Keyshawn's class. That's what I took issue with.

Yes, our record did suck and it definitely raises question marks as to whether Riley is the right man for the job, but you might want to go back and read what I said. I think what you are insinuating I was saying, as opposed to what I was actually saying, are pretty far apart, don't you?

Also, what if that "once in a lifetime" recruiting class somewhat gets the ball rolling? What then?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT