ADVERTISEMENT

Corn Cruiting

I don't know how USC hides the trashy unsafe areas that surround the USC campus but they do. The USC campus is nice but once you step outside the campus boundaries it's a whole different world.

I don't know how USC hides the trashy unsafe areas that surround the USC campus but they do. The USC campus is nice but once you step outside the campus boundaries it's a whole different world.
Ha, they distract the recruits from even thinking about that with those hot LA coeds.

Hard to tell from a 45 second video, but it seems as if they are lifting light weight for many reps. The guys were benching 185 and other guys were sitting on the floor doing close grip lat pulls. If it had been heavy weight their knees would have been bent. Then there was a quick shot of a guy overhead pressing a smaller dumbbell with one hand.

For all I know (which is nothing) this may be exactly how S&C was conducted last year. But for some reason I always got the impression that Duval was more of a heavy weight/lower rep/lower motion range type of trainer.

I’m not a trainer, but I’m 42 and have been training since I was 16. In high school it was a combination of heavy weight/low rep and light weight/high rep, but more emphasis on heavy weight. In college I did Olympic lifting for baseball and on my own I stuck with heavy weight/low rep.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve focused my training on what I love most. Playing with my kids in the backyard, snow skiing and golf. While every sport is different, I have come to the conclusion after all these years I believe that 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps is optimal. I also believe a focus on rear chain, legs and core provide the optimal foundation for all other training and the core full body lifts of bench, squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, and bent over rows, with some Olympic lifts and functional training and you have the making of a well rounded, quick, agile athlete.

Not trying to name drop or anything, but Patrick Mahomes personal trainer used to live just up the street from me. He also trains Travis Kelce, a few other Chiefs and focuses his time working with many professional athletes. His entire program is on functional movements and training. They rarely lift heavy. The focus is on quickness, movement, agility, strength and recovery. It’s interesting to watch some of his Facebook videos to see Mahomes on field performance and then see a cut scene to how his training mimics what he does on the field.

My hope is that our new S&C coach is focusing on training athletes to win games and not bodybuilders to win vanity contests.

I’m not a trainer, but I’m 42 and have been training since I was 16. In high school it was a combination of heavy weight/low rep and light weight/high rep, but more emphasis on heavy weight. In college I did Olympic lifting for baseball and on my own I stuck with heavy weight/low rep.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve focused my training on what I love most. Playing with my kids in the backyard, snow skiing and golf. While every sport is different, I have come to the conclusion after all these years I believe that 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps is optimal. I also believe a focus on rear chain, legs and core provide the optimal foundation for all other training and the core full body lifts of bench, squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, and bent over rows, with some Olympic lifts and functional training and you have the making of a well rounded, quick, agile athlete.

Not trying to name drop or anything, but Patrick Mahomes personal trainer used to live just up the street from me. He also trains Travis Kelce, a few other Chiefs and focuses his time working with many professional athletes. His entire program is on functional movements and training. They rarely lift heavy. The focus is on quickness, movement, agility, strength and recovery. It’s interesting to watch some of his Facebook videos to see Mahomes on field performance and then see a cut scene to how his training mimics what he does on the field.

My hope is that our new S&C coach is focusing on training athletes to win games and not bodybuilders to win vanity contests.
Good post overall, but your last sentence made me chuckle. I’m pretty sure he has the same hope.

The need to train athletes to their individual needs may or may not be embranced by S&C coaches. The younger players may have more strength building and as strength is built and they have a chance to see the field, more emphasis should be placed on explosive and athletic movement. Linemen that are trained as weight room champs may look slow and unathletic. Multiple coaches on the NU staff have experience working with the Oline. I would hope they know how to train them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT