ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting updates...

I am with you, brother! We only have something like 22 scholarships available for next year… What the heck are we doing reaching out to so many players, knowing that we can’t take all of them? I bet we’re the only school in America that does this.

An “offer” just means the coaches like the film and begin looking into everything else and invite the kid to come see campus. This is like asking the girl on the date. They will date him to learn if he is who they want to spend the next 4 years of their lives with. Then if he is, how hard they pursue will indicate an offer of engagement (commitment) and then would come signing day (marriage).

An “offer” just means the coaches like the film and begin looking into everything else and invite the kid to come see campus. This is like asking the girl on the date. They will date him to learn if he is who they want to spend the next 4 years of their lives with. Then if he is, how hard they pursue will indicate an offer of engagement (commitment) and then would come signing day (marriage).
Yeah, I posted that totally tongue in cheek. I get how the game is played, just felt like the OP was trolling and I thought I’d have some fun with it.

Should have used the roll eyes emoji.

Edit: sorry, not the OP... I think threads were merged. Was talking about clayborn_94.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Larry could bring the wood. If his little brother is anything like him, he'll be a good player for somebody. I'm not sure he'll get big enough to play linebacker.

Reactions: cvogele29
Larry could bring the wood. If his little brother is anything like him, he'll be a good player for somebody. I'm not sure he'll get big enough to play linebacker.
212 listed as an OLB...recruited by every team to play LB but dingleberry says hes not big enough. Thanks dingles

212 listed as an OLB...recruited by every team to play LB but dingleberry says hes not big enough. Thanks dingles

The guys on the HOL podcast thought that he is an ILB. And he isn't overly big to be a Big 10 ILB, so I see where Dingle may be coming from.

Also, Larry was a LB and changed into a Safety.

Reactions: SOHusker11
The guys on the HOL podcast thought that he is an ILB. And he isn't overly big to be a Big 10 ILB, so I see where Dingle may be coming from.

Also, Larry was a LB and changed into a Safety.
I could see ILB as well, but remember these pieces are movable..Henrich or Hannah could be moved to OLB too...gotta find the best 11. All about upside right now, not position. Our safeties are asked to play man alot, so they will be more safety/CB hybrids moving forward. Larry played in a different era/diff defense and was 6'0 212 coming OUT of college not HS, he was a true SS..a box safety.

Reactions: baseball31ne
He may get heavy enough to play ILB but as an outside linebacker he doesn't fit what we've been trying to recruit as far as height and LENGTH. Right now he doesn't appear to have the frame to play at the 235 or so that we seem to like for a linebacker. Right now he's a tweener and the way we've gone about his recruitment makes it look like he's a plan C guy.

Reactions: TheBeav815
There are multiple reports from various schools he is visiting their institution this weekend .

Guess he will show up somewhere

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_d83331b2-6918-5786-8f03-2a4f5004a00d.html
The 2019 recruiting cycle is not yet over, but Nebraska is making its first big on-campus push for 2020 and beyond.

The Huskers are hosting a large junior day gathering and are expected to have many priority-type prospects on campus this weekend for the first of what is expected to be multiple gatherings between now and the end of spring football.

Nebraska is expecting around 40 recruits on campus, most from the 2020 class, but some 2021s and even 2022s as well.

The first set of players to make the trip to Lincoln is notable, too, because it includes an intriguing mix of players widely considered to be top-of-the-board options, players who hail from areas in which Nebraska wants to be heavily involved and players who are still trying to earn offers from NU.

If the list begins with players who are already familiar with Lincoln and the NU football program, then look no further than in-state four-star wide receiver Zavier Betts (Bellevue West) and four-star offensive lineman Turner Corcoran (Lawrence, Kansas). Both have been to campus multiple times in the past and are slated to be back again this weekend.

Corcoran has made the trip a half-dozen times and represents for the 2020 Husker class what players like Ty Robinson and Wandale Robinson did to the 2019 group: a high-priority target that’s shown mutual interest throughout but also will be heavily pursued by other big-name schools.
Betts will be joined by at least one other in-state prospect in Kearney running back Miko Maessner, while Corcoran will make the trip with teammate Malik Barry. Neither of those players hold offers from NU currently but both have been on campus several times.

One of the other hallmarks of the first group is the number of players from the St. Louis area alone. That’s a city the Huskers have struggled to effectively recruit for years despite the reasonable proximity and depth of talent.

At least four 2020 prospects from powerhouse Trinity Catholic will be visiting in four-star athlete Teriyon “Mookie” Cooper, four-star running back Reggie Love, four-star defensive lineman Kevon Billingsly and defensive lineman Noah Arinze.
This will not just be a regional crowd, though. There are confirmed players making the trip from California, like offensive lineman Jeffrey Presi (San Juan Capistrano), and Florida, like defensive lineman Cooper Davis (Viera), too.

Davis does not have an NU offer but said Husker recruiting staffers Sean Dillon and Ryan Callaghan have been in touch and that he knows the staff from its Central Florida days because his high school is only 45 minutes away from the Knights’ campus.
The group of younger players includes three teammates from the same school in the St. Louis area in St. Charles Lutheran 2021 defenders Travion Ford and Gabriel Rubio, and 2022 running back Arlen Harris Jr. All three have been to campus before and all three already hold offers from NU.
There are also some key prospects who will not be on campus because of obligations to other sports. For instance, NU’s lone 2020 verbal commit, Logan Smothers, has track and cannot make the trip. Neither can 2020 in-state wide receiver Xavier Watts (Omaha Burke) and 2021 in-state offensive lineman Teddy Prochazka because of basketball, and 2020 defensive lineman Nash Hutmacher (Chamberlain, South Dakota) because of wrestling.

Frost, Chinander in Iowa: While the big group of players will flock to Lincoln this weekend, head coach Scott Frost and defensive coordinator Erik Chinander spent some
quality time late in the week making the rounds in Iowa.

The Huskers already have three offers out in the state for 2020 and Chinander, an Iowa native, has deep ties to the state.
NU offered offensive lineman Josh Volk (Cedar Rapids) a scholarship and has already offered offensive lineman Tyler Miller (Jefferson) and outside linebacker Blaise Gunnerson (Carroll). It will be interesting to see if any of those three are on campus for this weekend’s junior day, too.
5b2468b8e121f.image.jpg

Wide receiver Zavier Betts of Bellevue West eyes an incoming pass during a drill at a Friday Night Lights camp at Memorial Stadium last summer. Betts has offers from both Nebraska and Iowa.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_c4574383-0878-512b-bd6e-fbaabc06b53a.html
Nick Henderson has been working with De’Mariyon Houston since the eighth grade.

That’s given the assistant coach at Millwood High in Oklahoma City a front-row seat in watching — and assisting — as Houston developed from a fast middle schooler into a Power Five wide receiver recruit.

Houston, listed at 6 feet tall and 165 pounds, is now one of the few prospects left on Nebraska’s radar screen as the second National Signing Day arrives on Wednesday.

Husker head coach Scott Frost said in December that NU would like to add another high school receiver, and Houston certainly checks a lot of boxes.

“He’s explosive,” Henderson said flatly. “He’s a game-changer.”

Indeed, Houston ran 10.71 in the 100 meters during Millwood’s 2017 track season and turned in a 21.42 in the 200 meters.

Not only that, but he’s been a productive receiver at Millwood for years.

“He’s kind of like a (Kansas City Chiefs star receiver) Tyreek Hill,” Henderson said. “His freshman year he started on the outside because it’s the easiest to learn in our offense. Sophomore year I said, ‘Man, you’re a Division I slot receiver.’ He didn’t want to move in the slot but he trusted me and that was his best season. Junior year he was a slot guy for us and he had a great year, did great in the slot.

“This year, we really didn’t have a second playmaker like that so we moved him all over the field. He played slot, outside, wildcat quarterback if we needed it. When we needed to make a play, he made it.”

Houston originally committed to Texas and spent most of the fall as part of the Longhorns’ class before reopening his recruitment in early December. He visited Minnesota before the early signing date, but kept his options open into January.

That’s when NU really came into the picture. He visited Lincoln the weekend of Jan. 11. Frost, offensive coordinator Troy Walters and running backs coach Ryan Held visited Houston at his home on Jan. 24, the same day that New Jersey prep receiver Charles Njoku committed to UCLA.

“He’s built a lot of relationships with coaches, but one of the things I can definitely say that he liked about the coaches at Nebraska is just it probably reminded him of the staff that we have,” Henderson said. “We don’t pressure our players, we just want them to do the right thing. Our head coach is big on, ‘I don’t want you to make a decision today. I want you to go home, think about it, pray about it, because I want it to be the right decision.’ Don’t make a decision based off emotion. Don’t make a decision because your friends want you to make that decision. Make that decision because you want to make that decision to better yourself, better your family.”

At various points in recent weeks, reports surfaced about Houston potentially visiting Penn State or taking a final-weekend trip to Colorado. Neither materialized. Rivals reported recently that Houston is expected to make his announcement on Wednesday as part of the National Signing Day proceedings.

Running down the rest: Houston is clearly in the mix for the Huskers down the stretch. The rest of the picture is a little bit fuzzier.

Remember, NU doesn’t have to take three players just to take them. They already have 26 signed and could add just one or two more, which would create more flexibility for exploring the transfer market later this year and also help create more spots in the 2020 class.

The Huskers do not have any known official visitors on the final weekend before signing day.

NU’s remaining outside linebacker prospects, meanwhile, are each taking visits. Steven Parker of Dallas is visiting Kansas and Soni Fonua of Mesa (Arizona) Community College is at LSU.

Parker is said to be mulling a three-way choice among NU, the Jayhawks and Texas Tech, where he was once committed. He has kept his recruitment very quiet overall, particularly in recent weeks. Fonua, meanwhile, has visited Oklahoma State and LSU the past two weeks. He had high marks for NU after a Jan. 11 visit, but it’s unclear exactly where things stand now.

Running back John Bivens visited Lincoln on Jan. 18. The prevailing wisdom is that he would commit to the Huskers if given the green light. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

Those four — Houston, Parker, Fonua and Bivens — are the only January visitors that remain uncommitted. A pair of defensive backs that visited during the season also are still uncommitted in Tavian Mayo (Leesburg, Georgia) and Jamel Starks (Decatur, Georgia), though the major recruiting services see them heading elsewhere.

So, what will it be? Zero, one, two or three for the Huskers? That remains an open question, and one that might not be answered until shortly before Frost steps to the podium for a slated Wednesday afternoon news conference.

When does a divorce happen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT