ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting updates...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_fa315d65-37c1-52e2-bb78-731b9a41a165.html
The Nebraska football staff didn't waste any time getting back out on the recruiting trail after hosting four official visitors this weekend.

Notably, head coach Scott Frost and defensive coordinator Erik Chinander headed to Alabama, which is shaping up to be an important hub of activity for the Huskers this month.

Frost and Chinander spent the first part of Monday morning at Athens High, the school of 2020 quarterback verbal commitment Logan Smothers, according to Smothers' dad, Shane, who also happens to be the offensive coordinator at the school.
NU quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco made the trip several times in December and the Husker staff will undoubtedly be back as much as it can be over the next few weeks.
Smothers isn't the only only reason to be in the area, though. Nebraska just hosted cornerback DJ James (Spanish Fort) and is slated to host pass-rusher Michael Lockhart (Birmingham) this coming weekend.

The Huskers have already had success in Alabama since Frost took over here. NU landed Cam Taylor from Montgomery in February last year and then got Smothers on board this summer.

OLB activity: The Huskers are seemingly leaving no stone unturned when it comes to finding pass-rush help. They hosted both juco Soni Fonua (Mesa C.C.) and four-star Steven Parker (Dallas) this past weekend, and are slated to host Lockhart coming up next and then three-star Dylan Jordan (Pittsburg, Kansas) on Jan. 25.

Lockhart was committed to UAB until the early signing period but didn't sign and re-opened his recruitment. Now, he's attracting attention from several Power Five schools. He used an official visit to North Carolina this past
weekend.

Parker at one point was committed to Texas Tech. Fonua and Jordan came onto the radar screen later than others. Who will actually wind up with NU? That's anyone's guess between now and early February.

The Huskers have also been connected to linebacker Eugene Asante, the younger brother of former Husker Larry Asante.

There is not a known visit date set up yet for Asante to use an official to NU, but that could still happen this month. The three-star linebacker from Virginia picked up a scholarship offer from Florida State on Monday and is being heavily pursued by schools around the country.
2020 offers going out: This month will also feature a ton of new 2020 (and beyond) scholarship offers going out. We won't be able to run them all down here, but will regularly list some of the latest.

It looks like defensive line coach Mike Dawson and the Huskers are working in the Northeast early this week. Four-star running back Kalel Mullings (Boston) announced an offer, as did four-star tackle Zak Zinter (Cambridge, Massachusetts).
NU's already been working on the 2020 class for some time, but the coming weeks combined with the first of several junior days on Feb. 2 will kick the action into high gear.

I guess LJS didn't get the message about Dylan Jordan.

Hopefully we can get Asante to visit, I think he's the best LB prospect left.

Going after Bama commits from Bama? NiceSmokin
You never know what will happen with the way Saban jacks kids around on their offers and signing dates. Yeah you've got a spot mmm wait a minute you can come if you'll greyshirt. On second thought I guess we don't have room.

Reactions: red scowl

Awesome. Hewitt-Trussville is a really good football program too. Would love to see us build a relationship with them.

There's some blood in the water now after Dabo rolled the tide. Lots of early departures for the draft and lots of coaches jumping ship. Tosh is in over his head as DC and they'll lose some games next year.

Not a subscriber either but you can take a lot from the title alone.

Nebraska targets Miami grad transfer Lawrence Cager, who calls Husker fans 'unmatched'
Thanks. Thought maybe there was something in there on DJ

A lot of Miami fans saying that Cager has hands of stone. Could be sour grapes, but I would have expected bigger numbers from a receiver with his size and athleticism. He had the same number of receptions last year as Jack Stoll did here.

Do we provide recruits with photos that they might include in their tweets? Or do they just Google something and put it in there? I’m asking because this tweet includes a photo of Bo Pelini as our coach.

I’m guessing this isn’t a photo that we provided the recruit with…
Laughing I noticed that as well.

Reactions: timnsun
A lot of Miami fans saying that Cager has hands of stone. Could be sour grapes, but I would have expected bigger numbers from a receiver with his size and athleticism. He had the same number of receptions last year as Jack Stoll did here.
I read somewhere he was their 2nd leading receiver and had the most touchdowns. Then you look at his stats and somethings off.

21rec 374yds 6td

Going after Bama commits from Bama? NiceSmokin

https://y.yarn.co/d05c4957-714d-44b4-9f75-3f040457c768.mp4

mail

I will invade England and defeat the English on their own ground.

He's going William Wallace on their arse.

Last edited:
Nebraska has offered 47 WRs and 30 Running backs for the 2020 class already. Just offer everyone. Does an offer mean anything?

Seeing how we are top 17 right now, why would you complain?? Scott Frost apparently knows what he’s doing. Bo Pelini followed that method and he sucked at Recruiting, which do you think we should do?? Asking for a friend ;)

Nebraska has offered 47 WRs and 30 Running backs for the 2020 class already. Just offer everyone. Does an offer mean anything?
I am with you, brother! We only have something like 22 scholarships available for next year… What the heck are we doing reaching out to so many players, knowing that we can’t take all of them? I bet we’re the only school in America that does this.

ADVERTISEMENT