ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting evaluation

4-3 D

Athletic Director
Jan 15, 2007
It would be interesting to see how may signed between 2019-2022 & how many of them actually started at some point. Might be wrong, but never had a feeling evaluations were SF's strength. I'd do it but my memory of starters isn't that good.

It would be interesting to see how may signed between 2019-2022 & how many of them actually started at some point. Might be wrong, but never had a feeling evaluations were SF's strength. I'd do it but my memory of starters isn't that good.
Sean Callahan was on the radio with the usual suspects yesterday AM. They broke down our 4 stars for the last 10 years. The number that lived up to their high ranking was abysmal, around 10 percent

I would venture to say that most rarely saw the field, let along start. Of those that have started, guys like Benhardt and Corchoran have been a couple of the highest rated recruits and biggest disappointments at a position we desperately need talent.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I would venture to say that most rarely saw the field, let along start. Of those that have started, guys like Benhardt and Corchoran have been a couple of the highest rated recruits and biggest disappointments at a position we desperately need talent.
Corcoran has actually graded out fairly well as time has gone on this year. Benhardt has gotten way better but he still is not good in space at tackle. Our O line while still not great has made strides this season.

Reactions: Laner2 and konaki
Sean Callahan was on the radio with the usual suspects yesterday AM. They broke down our 4 stars for the last 10 years. The number that lived up to their high ranking was abysmal, around 10 percent
Stating the obvious, it's not just recruiting it's as much the development as well. That's where the Osborne teams excelled. Don't know about Rhule but let's hope he has some of that development skill set in him.

I could be wrong. But Frost recruiting seemed so inconsistent. Just throwing out offers to see what sticks. Did not recruit to scheme or fit. Match that with all the higher rated recruit's that transfered out. That's a recipe for walk-ons to be starters.

Reactions: drubendall
I could be wrong. But Frost recruiting seemed so inconsistent. Just throwing out offers to see what sticks. Did not recruit to scheme or fit. Match that with all the higher rated recruit's that transfered out. That's a recipe for walk-ons to be starters.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Stating the obvious, it's not just recruiting it's as much the development as well. That's where the Osborne teams excelled. Don't know about Rhule but let's hope he has some of that development skill set in him.
We'll know a lot more about him and how he did at Baylor soon as the local fish hacks write stories. I haven't looked closely, but he's allegedly put a lot of guys into the NFL. Lower ranked guys. That's development and he claims to thrive at it. Well see.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The interesting thing is that the three star guys that love the game, love the grind and want to be developed. In this narcissistic age we live in, the higher rate guys wanted handed to them more easily and get impatient when it isn't.

Chris Klieman develops guys but does not have eye-popping recruiting numbers. It translates to wins.

Nick Saban recruits the best, and demands accountability in the developmental phase.

I see us more as a developmental program with an upward trajectory to recruit better and better as wins pile up.

I agree that Frost didn't have a cogent strategy for how to build and develop a team. Arrogant and foolish at the same time.

Thanks I suspected that.
According to our coaches at that time about 75% of the player development was taking kids who hadn't had much S&C with weights and turning them over to Epley, especially in the 90's when Boyd went to a high intensity anaerobic lifting program.

Thanks I suspected that.

According to our coaches at that time about 75% of the player development was taking kids who hadn't had much S&C with weights and turning them over to Epley, especially in the 90's when Boyd went to a high intensity anaerobic lifting program.
Coupled with Boyd’s “vitamin shots”.

The interesting thing is that the three star guys that love the game, love the grind and want to be developed. In this narcissistic age we live in, the higher rate guys wanted handed to them more easily and get impatient when it isn't.

Chris Klieman develops guys but does not have eye-popping recruiting numbers. It translates to wins.

Nick Saban recruits the best, and demands accountability in the developmental phase.

I see us more as a developmental program with an upward trajectory to recruit better and better as wins pile up.

I agree that Frost didn't have a cogent strategy for how to build and develop a team. Arrogant and foolish at the same time.
IMO Frost probably tried to follow the analytic model to recruit measurables and speed like Rhule used at Baylor but was not great at development.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
FWIW, a friend's son played for Rhule at Baylor and the son thought he was terrific. He said he was fair and sharp. I asked why he did poorly at Carolina and he said he's pretty strict on lots of things (and has his rules/policies for kids) and perhaps that doesn't work as well with pros who are older. He didn't think we'd end up with a lot of prima donnas (so it may not be too bad if some folks transfer out), and that sounded okay to me because I like OL/DL play and a great qb, and I think you see relatively less prima donnas at those positions, especially along the lines. I think our recruiting was pretty good under Frost, so it wouldn't surprise me if some "big shots" left but we have a really good team next fall and moving forward. Fingers crossed that we have another Meyer/Saban type guy. Unfortunately, I'm always optimistic and likely felt that way when Frost was hired, but just my $.02.

Not once did he sign a qb that matched up with what he claimed to want to run. A quick thinking sharp passer with some wheels if needed.
AM-had wheels but no throwing prowess.
Luke-junior version of AM
Haarburg- really? You recruit one qb and he's a semi successful outstate pure project.
Torres- fitting end
Not one of these guys with the exception of Martinez were highly sought after. It's as if once AM came to town it was just an obligatory annual scholarship to someone with little chance of playing here.

And to put a finer point on that let's look at the QBs we could have had under Frost:

Raiola, Duggan, Flores. Almost no work would have been needed to get Raiola and Flores. Duggan might have had to been recruited some, but was def. within reach.

Thanks Scott!

And to put a finer point on that let's look at the QBs we could have had under Frost:

Raiola, Duggan, Flores. Almost no work would have been needed to get Raiola and Flores. Duggan might have had to been recruited some, but was def. within reach.

Thanks Scott!
That’s a big stretch

Reactions: baseball31ne
I read the story how the Raolas had gathered their family at Dom's house in anticipation of Frost coming over since he had told Dom and Dylan he was coming over to see him. The story made it clear NU was in a good position there until Frost called Dom to say he was too drunk to come over and wanted to chat via Zoom.

Flores was prepped to be recruited by NU but they essentially ignored him other than offering a walk-on shot.

Corcoran has actually graded out fairly well as time has gone on this year. Benhardt has gotten way better but he still is not good in space at tackle. Our O line while still not great has made strides this season.

Our best back carried 16 times for 6 yards Saturday. Best coaching decision MJ made all year was punting with 4th and inches late in the game. We would have got stuffed. That shows what kind of confidence MJ had in the o line.

He didn't know what scheme he wanted to fit people in. We were going to "meet fast, practice fast and play fast". None of that every came to fruition.

Compare K-State's O-Line to Nebraska's. Recruiting numbers are pretty close to useless.

Yeah I think our 3 star hit rate has been higher. I get more excited for some of our 3 star recruits over the 4 star guys.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yep. He left college before the new transfer rules so it will be interesting to see what he does with the portal. Will he go after quick fix transfers or will he stick with high schoolers he can develop. Retaining Mickey and Busch would help him a lot with evaluating our needs.
He better be going after both.

And that, friends, will be the difference. Frost was bottom 5% in player development. I don’t think most of our starters are that bad. They just fell wayyyy behind under Frost’s “teaching” I am optimistic that the cupboard is not empty for Matt as I don’t believe Frost was a terrible recruiter.
Same. We have a good nucleus of young players. He can plug holes with transfers and add quality depth. Then it's time to get to work.

ADVERTISEMENT