ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and portal transfers

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Every single guy that has gone into the portal (other than Wandale) is leaving because they did not want to be a back up to someone else for their whole career. This tells me something about our recruiting. Many have wondered how we have recruited top 25, or top 20, classes even though we haven’t been winning. The answer is simple: Frost told them that if they came to Nebraska there was a good chance they would be starters given our lack of talent. Then they get here and they don’t become starters. So they leave. It really is that simple. The sad fact is that our program has sunk so low that there are no other reasons why a kid will come to the middle of nowhere except for the promise of extensive playing time. The Nebraska brand and mystique is completely dead, everyone plays on TV, everyone has great facilities, and lots of teams have excellent coaches. Fan support and playing time are the only two recruiting pitches we have left.

So we need to get used to this until we start winning again. If we ever do.

Then does this not tell us what kinda player is leaving... one who can’t fight for a starting position or learn and be complacent waiting their turn....do we really want them then?

Agree on those points. Wandale hurts. Period. I would of loved Luke to stay but I don't know what people wanted Frost to do with him. Gave him a shot. Didn't play the best. Asked to move to WR, didn't want to. Warner and Farniok weren't seeing the field this upcoming season.

The portal has changed the game on kids wanting to play right away.

With the transfer portal, it makes no sense to recruit "projects" anymore. Because they'll probably transfer anyway if they don't play right away.

It seems like the smartest thing to do now is only recruit players who are physically ready to play right away, and then get the rest of the players you need from the portal.

Reactions: c3o and headcard
Every single guy that has gone into the portal (other than Wandale) is leaving because they did not want to be a back up to someone else for their whole career. This tells me something about our recruiting. Many have wondered how we have recruited top 25, or top 20, classes even though we haven’t been winning. The answer is simple: Frost told them that if they came to Nebraska there was a good chance they would be starters given our lack of talent. Then they get here and they don’t become starters. So they leave. It really is that simple. The sad fact is that our program has sunk so low that there are no other reasons why a kid will come to the middle of nowhere except for the promise of extensive playing time. The Nebraska brand and mystique is completely dead, everyone plays on TV, everyone has great facilities, and lots of teams have excellent coaches. Fan support and playing time are the only two recruiting pitches we have left.

I doubt ANY Coach tells a recruit anything other than they have a great chance to be a starter. Can't imagine a coach telling a kid: "Come to our school. You can be a great third string back up but don't plan on ever starting."

Last edited:
I doubt ANY tells a recruit anything other than they have a great chance to be a starter. Can't imagine a coach telling a kid: "Come to our school. You can be a great third string back up but don't plan on ever starting."

Was going to post this very thing.

I am not sure why today trigger so much angst though. Farniok and Warner were not going to be impact players. And Luke wants something we are going to give him.

I doubt ANY Coach tells a recruit anything other than they have a great chance to be a starter. Can't imagine a coach telling a kid: "Come to our school. You can be a great third string back up but don't plan on ever starting."
Right. But the elite schools also have a lot of other reasons why a kid might stay there even if they wind up not starting. Like winning. And playing for championships. My point is not that other schools don’t also promise this. My point is that in our case it is pretty much the ONLY reason why a kid would choose us.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't think it's about playing time for all of them.. certainly not JD, not Wandale, not Luke, and prob not even Warner.

However I do think the OP is on to something..

Times have changed.

There is a new era coming to Nebraska, as a Big Ten School.

The focus, from a President's perspective, should now be heavily focused on Big Ten grant monies. That is the new money maker for the University.. not the football program, even though it too may still bring in a good chunk of change.

Spend enough to be competitive, but make sure any major athletic spending comes from donors, not from the University's new found revenue stream.

The focus of the University should switch to becoming a first class type of education, not a football school of the past.

There will still be fans and maybe even some good years for Husker football in the future, but it's like Minnesota and other once great programs, that now have a higher focus. Enjoy the relative retirement on the grid iron, and keep cashing the checks as long as you can.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

thats the same thing no matter where your school is located

Right. But the elite schools also have a lot of other reasons why a kid might stay there even if they wind up not starting. Like winning. And playing for championships. My point is not that other schools don’t also promise this. My point is that in our case it is pretty much the ONLY reason why a kid would choose us.
Have you read any of the quotes on what the restrictions were in order to participate in football this past fall at NU were? Good heavens, it's a miracle we have anybody left and from what I'm hearing those restrictions have continued in to the spring. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that SEC or ACC schools have as severe of social restrictions as the B1G. There's no way in hell I would have put up with the COVID protocols when I was in college. The social isolation required of these guys is ridiculous. They need to have a huge block party to get COVID and get it over with.

Have you read any of the quotes on what the restrictions were in order to participate in football this past fall at NU were? Good heavens, it's a miracle we have anybody left and from what I'm hearing those restrictions have continued in to the spring. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that SEC or ACC schools have as severe of social restrictions as the B1G. There's no way in hell I would have put up with the COVID protocols when I was in college. The social isolation required of these guys is ridiculous. They need to have a huge block party to get COVID and get it over with.
I am ignorant of that. Great point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT