ADVERTISEMENT

Receivers

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
Was wondering about this. Receivers and the pass game in general was hot garbage early on and I averted my eyes. Looks like they've settle on on a handful that get practice reps with the first team.

Omar Manning isn't a real person, is he? He's Sid Finch, Bill Brasky, Santa Claus and Paul Bunyan.
Does anyone know what the hell is up with Manning? Has he played a down?

Was wondering about this. Receivers and the pass game in general was hot garbage early on and I averted my eyes. Looks like they've settle on on a handful that get practice reps with the first team.

Neb roster - 154
median big ten roster - 118

2nd largest roster in conference - Michigan 135

Neb has the worst player to coach ratio in all of power 5 football

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
4 star scholarship players relegated to the milk carton.
Who? Only one I can think of is Nance and it is starting to be pretty obvious he was a recruiting miss. Unless you are also counting Manning, but it's pretty clear he won't be playing this year.

Highest rated WR's as recruits were Betts, Robinson and Martin and those seem to be our Top 3 WR's right now.

Reactions: BleedRed78
If scholarship wr's can't get in their playbook enough to learn the offense or bring it in practice do they deserve to play? The same people bitching about walk-ons getting reps are the same ones bitching about "participation trophies" (which for the record are BS). As a coach, there is no way you can reward that with playing time. I want to see these scholarship guys out there too, but understand why they aren't as well.

Manning isn't a person. He's a metaphor.

giphy.gif

Manning played four snaps against Northwestern and as far as I can surmise, is healthy enough to play. So a guy who people really wanted to get eligible and play a big part this year is a non-factor and is bested by a grad transfer from I-AA and a kid from O'Neil.

Reactions: 9and4
Manning played four snaps against Northwestern and as far as I can surmise, is healthy enough to play. So a guy who people really wanted to get eligible and play a big part this year is a non-factor and is bested by a grad transfer from I-AA and a kid from O'Neil.
a rotting corpse perched on a very specific hill will have you believe it's a roster size issue above all else

Who? Only one I can think of is Nance and it is starting to be pretty obvious he was a recruiting miss. Unless you are also counting Manning, but it's pretty clear he won't be playing this year.

Highest rated WR's as recruits were Betts, Robinson and Martin and those seem to be our Top 3 WR's right now.
Nance, Fleming, Manning, Miles Jones, Dominick Watt. Etc.

That hurts.

If scholarship wr's can't get in their playbook enough to learn the offense or bring it in practice do they deserve to play? The same people bitching about walk-ons getting reps are the same ones bitching about "participation trophies" (which for the record are BS). As a coach, there is no way you can reward that with playing time. I want to see these scholarship guys out there too, but understand why they aren't as well.
Pretty disappointed with the accountability in that room and makes me question if Lubbick even deserves another year. The fact is he did not have a lot of the scholarship guys ready to play to start the year, which is why we saw walk-ons play over them. You even saw some of that last week where Betts ran the wrong route on the downfield pass.

I am surprised Brown isn't getting the ball thrown to him. They are using him on kick return and a play here and there. But he hasn't gotten a ball in awhile.
He needs to catch the damn ball when it's thrown to him. He's already had a few bad drops this season.

Neb roster - 154

You have to have realized that you have thrown this out no less the 10 times and in random unrelated threads, right?

At this point everyone either thinks it is a dumb take or are just annoyed by what you say. Or more likely both.

In any case, you should do some self reflection.

I don't think he's physically injured, but the kid has had personal issues.

a rotting corpse perched on a very specific hill will have you believe it's a roster size issue above all else

1. roster size

2. A coaching staff that is average at best and thus can’t handle teaching that roster size

3. recruits that appear to need extra attention to learn the playbook and need extra reps to get up to speed

The quickest of those 3 issues to fix is roster size and in doing so simultaneously addresses the 2nd and 3rd issues

You have to have realized that you have thrown this out no less the 10 times and in random unrelated threads, right?

At this point everyone either thinks it is a dumb take or are just annoyed by what you say. Or more likely both.

In any case, you should do some self reflection.
the continual responses to himself in his own thread is classic

1. roster size

2. A coaching staff that is average at best and thus can’t handle teaching that roster size

3. recruits that appear to need extra attention to learn the playbook and need extra reps to get up to speed

The quickest of those 3 issues to fix is roster size and in doing so simultaneously addresses the 2nd and 3rd issues
you may very well be right. but, like with most things you insist on regurgitating, we'll likely never know.

I really don't have an opinion either way on the size of the roster. 19 year-old me would have loved to be on the team, go to practice and have a locker.

I am also one of those who thinks kids who grow up in NE bleeding scarlet and cream and not being super heralded go a long way in creating the culture of NU football. but, I'd rather win more than lose, also. it kind of is what it is.

you may very well be right. but, like with most things you insist on regurgitating, we'll likely never know.

I really don't have an opinion either way on the size of the roster. 19 year-old me would have loved to be on the team, go to practice and have a locker.

I am also one of those who thinks kids who grow up in NE bleeding scarlet and cream and not being super heralded go a long way in creating the culture of NU football. but, I'd rather win more than lose, also. it kind of is what it is.

I find solace in the fact that Frost and company, at long last, are paying heed to my counsel and recognizing that important reps are being tragically diluted due to the unmanageable roster size

We are the only school in America that cant let a guy with speed just run as fast as he can in a straight line downfield for a deep pass attempt.

Like that takes freaking skill or experience.

Yet lazy ass Bo found receivers who got NFL looks

Smdh

We are the only school in America that cant let a guy with speed just run as fast as he can in a straight line downfield for a deep pass attempt.

Like that takes freaking skill or experience.

Yet lazy ass Bo found receivers who got NFL looks

Smdh

No kidding, Does a guy really need to know THE ENTIRE playbook to go in and run a fly? Sometimes coaches, especially at the college level, overthink it.

Teams I have coached have literally made up a play or route or blocking scheme or coverage or blitz, during a timeout. It really isn't that hard to do.

Once I ran a TE reverse that went for like 4 yards...one of my assistant coaches said "Run that again but with the other TE", which we had never done before, so we did it, went for a TD. I said "Why did you think of that?" and he goes "Because that TE is bigger, faster and stronger than the one you ran it to". Ha

Neb roster - 154

What ever makes you feel better when you wake up to change bed pans in the Minneapolis area..

No kidding, Does a guy really need to know THE ENTIRE playbook to go in and run a fly? Sometimes coaches, especially at the college level, overthink it.

Teams I have coached have literally made up a play or route or blocking scheme or coverage or blitz, during a timeout. It really isn't that hard to do.

Once I ran a TE reverse that went for like 4 yards...one of my assistant coaches said "Run that again but with the other TE", which we had never done before, so we did it, went for a TD. I said "Why did you think of that?" and he goes "Because that TE is bigger, faster and stronger than the one you ran it to". Ha
Or we could demand that every single player on the roster know the playbook inside and out. That would be another solution.

Or we could demand that every single player on the roster know the playbook inside and out. That would be another solution.

But it isn't working, so why do that?

Not everyone can know the entire playbook, just like not everyone can bench 375 (except on here).

I have coached for 20 years and have never once demanded that every kid on the team know the playbook inside and out. That doesn't even make sense to me. Why have a WR know what the TE is doing, why have a RG know what the WR is doing.

If you are just talking about the WR's knowing all the WR stuff, fine but if they can't figure out it, change it!

Some people suck at math, some suck and memorizing an entire playbook.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT