ADVERTISEMENT

Reason why Tom Osborne wouldn't succeed in this day and age

Ill go out on a limb and say a guy who won 9 games or more every season with 16 conference titles and 3 national titles would figure it out. The guy was an amazing coach. There is a reason his successor was fired after a 9 win season. People thought it was our God given right to compete for nattys every year.

Ill go out on a limb and say a guy who won 9 games or more every season with 16 conference titles and 3 national titles would figure it out. The guy was an amazing coach. There is a reason his successor was fired after a 9 win season. People thought it was our God given right to compete for nattys every year.
You gotta read between the lines to spot a troll. He's saying TO couldn't recruit criminals, ie like Briles. It's just a troll post, not something to invest actual thought into.

However, in this day and age, the types of incidents off the field would result in sanctions, so while short term results might be favorable, no way would a coach be able to do that continuously for 20 some years. Kind of like Art Briles, great short term success, not so much for long term success.

Reactions: cheddarwurst
It's probably more because he is 84 years old.
I think it was baseball legend Ted Williams who was asked by a reporter how he thought he would do in modern baseball. His reply that he would probably hit about .270. The reporter says he is surprised he thinks he would only hit .270 in modern baseball. Williams explains that he is 75 years old now. I think Osborne would probably be about the same.

He somehow survived 3+ decades of changes in the game and did just fine. I’m sure he’d do just fine. Of course I understand how fans think what the game is now is some super secret special thing that no one from the past could figure out. 🤣🤣🤣

How many reasons?

will-smith-there-are-none.gif

I think it was baseball legend Ted Williams who was asked by a reporter how he thought he would do in modern baseball. His reply that he would probably hit about .270. The reporter says he is surprised he thinks he would only hit .270 in modern baseball. Williams explains that he is 75 years old now. I think Osborne would probably be about the same.
That would be one factor, but the main reason would be that Osborne couldn't go out on a limb and take chances on some of the more troubled youth that made his teams a success in the 90's.

I'm very successful. You on the other hand, not so much. The fact that you throw in Art Briles and try to compare him to Osborne shows what a dolt you are.
Both recruited the same types of players. Only difference was, it was more socially acceptable to take chances on the more troubled youth back in the 90's.

Both recruited the same types of players. Only difference was, it was more socially acceptable to take chances on the more troubled youth back in the 90's.
Osborne, in today's college football world, would out recruit and way, way out coach Briles. If you think otherwise, you're not very bright. The fact that you started this thread points you in that direction.

• Haha
Reactions: pharvey0829
So how did I not support the huskers ever?
Maybe point me in the direction of how you did support the huskers.

And maybe I shouldn’t have used the word ‘ever’. Speaking in absolutes usually doesn’t work, as there will invariably be one post where you can point to that would show that I was wrong. So scratch the word ‘ever’ from my previous post and replace it with ‘rarely’.

Maybe point me in the direction of how you did support the huskers.

And maybe I shouldn’t have used the word ‘ever’. Speaking in absolutes usually doesn’t work, as there will invariably be one post where you can point to that would show that I was wrong. So scratch the word ‘ever’ from my previous post and replace it with ‘rarely’.
Yes. Considering I joined at the start of November. Can you tell me exactly what I am supposed to support right now? Is it the moral victory to Ohio state or the moral victory against Purdue? Or am I supposed fo applaud 4 assistant coaches being fired while the leader of said position group stays not because of empirical data. But because he is a Nebraska guy. Held and Austin are Nebraska guys too FYI. What exactly am I supporting?

Yes. Considering I joined at the start of November. Can you tell me exactly what I am supposed to support right now? Is it the moral victory to Ohio state or the moral victory against Purdue? Or am I supposed fo applaud 4 assistant coaches being fired while the leader of said position group stays not because of empirical data. But because he is a Nebraska guy. Held and Austin are Nebraska guys too FYI. What exactly am I supporting?
Brian Ferenz is bored at sucking as a coach at Iowa so he created a handle on the Husker message board.

If you joined this board just to complain, with a screen name of two former running backs who both have given Nebraska black eyes due to their criminal history, don’t be shocked to be called out as a poser. It doesn’t seem like you are offering constructive thoughts at all, just complaining.

So yeah… I think you’re a troll.

Reactions: scarletred
If you joined this board just to complain, with a screen name of two former running backs who both have given Nebraska black eyes due to their criminal history, don’t be shocked to be called out as a poser. It doesn’t seem like you are offering constructive thoughts at all, just complaining.

So yeah… I think you’re a troll.
Thunder Collins and Lawrence Phillips were great running backs. Take that back.

However, in this day and age, the types of incidents off the field would result in sanctions, so while short term results might be favorable, no way would a coach be able to do that continuously for 20 some years. Kind of like Art Briles, great short term success, not so much for long term success.
Take a 40 year old Tom Osborne and put him at Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, or Wisconsin and within a few years he's competing every year for the conference and national title.

Same with Meyer, Saban, Bowden. Great coaches can recruit to their style and they tend to hired great assistants.

Tom Osborne was an innovative coach. Highly intelligent. Methodical. He was a very good gameday coach. He was charismatic in an understated way.

You put him in his youth to coach today's landscape and he would be highly successful at Nebraska eventually making the playoffs, especially in this division. You put him at Ohio State or Florida or USC and he's winning titles fast.

ADVERTISEMENT