ADVERTISEMENT

Reason Moos is stalling

Disagree. What other school has had multiple newspapers run almost daily stories about one coach that still has another job? Florida fans are discussing. But they are talking about multiple guys. They are open to options. This fan base isn’t. It’s one guy or shut down the football program for a lot of people
I get your point. I just think you are exaggerating. And when Obrien quit at PSU you should have read the papers out here. They were totally fixated on getting James Franklin to "come home" to Pennsylvania. The PSU chat boards talked about nothing else. It happens all over, not just at NU. And I also think you exaggerate our Frost obsession. This is a football chat board so of course there is going to be a ton of talk on here about this topic. But don't extrapolate from about 20 regulars on this board to the whole fan base. I was just talking to my sister on the phone. She is a huge Husker fan. She wants Frost. But she also thinks Chip Kelly and Campbell and Fuentes would be good choices too. You make Husker fans sound like a monomaniacal mob of loonies. They aren't.

I get your point. I just think you are exaggerating. And when Obrien quit at PSU you should have read the papers out here. They were totally fixated on getting James Franklin to "come home" to Pennsylvania. The PSU chat boards talked about nothing else. It happens all over, not just at NU. And I also think you exaggerate our Frost obsession. This is a football chat board so of course there is going to be a ton of talk on here about this topic. But don't extrapolate from about 20 regulars on this board to the whole fan base. I was just talking to my sister on the phone. She is a huge Husker fan. She wants Frost. But she also thinks Chip Kelly and Campbell and Fuentes would be good choices too. You make Husker fans sound like a monomaniacal mob of loonies. They aren't.

Let me put it this way...what will be the reaction if frost stays at UCF? What kind of reception will people have if Chip goes to Florida and Nebraska hires someone like Justin Fuente? Better yet, how would a guy like Justin Fuentes react to a phone call from Nebraska if he happens to read an Omaha or Lincoln newspaper from the last month?

Let me put it this way...what will be the reaction if frost stays at UCF? What kind of reception will people have if Chip goes to Florida and Nebraska hires someone like Justin Fuente? Better yet, how would a guy like Justin Fuentes react to a phone call from Nebraska if he happens to read an Omaha or Lincoln newspaper from the last month?
He probably would have some reservations. No doubt. I am not saying this is an ideal situation. I just think the problem is not as unique to us as you imply or as severe. And any big time coach like Fuentes, familiar as he is with the fan dynamics of big time football, would be able to deal with his reservations if he became convinced that the Nebraska gig was a pretty good one overall. Maybe I am wrong and this is all going to blow up in our face should Frost not come here.

But in reality, I don't see Frost staying at UCF. And if he chooses Florida over us there would be a lot of resentment directed at Frost and a sudden, new-found openness to whoever Moos does hire, assuming he hires a really good coach. I think most fans would say "screw Frost. Next!" Because if there IS one thing we are all united on right now: Mike Riley has to go. So anyone like Fuentes or Campbell or Chip Kelly would be viewed as an upgrade and embraced

You and part when you say people will be open to the other hire. I think it’s more likely people call for Moos to be fired if nebraska hires anyone other than Frost. And the next coach will likely be on the hot seat just as fast as Riley was simply because he wasn’t who many wanted

You and part when you say people will be open to the other hire. I think it’s more likely people call for Moos to be fired if nebraska hires anyone other than Frost. And the next coach will likely be on the hot seat just as fast as Riley was simply because he wasn’t who many wanted
Really? Fired? I could only see people calling for that if it turns out he never offered Frost at all. But if we gave him a very generous offer and he turns it down for Florida, I think most fans would be angrier at Frost than Moos. As for the next coach if he isn't Frost... a lot will depend on who it is. Riley was greeted tepidly, not because he wasn't Frost, but because he was a career .500 coach most fans had never heard of. We wanted to replace Pelini with a "difference maker" hire. Most fans did not view Riley as that kind of hire and felt deflated. And rightly so. It was a monumentally underwhelming hire.

But I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I dont think so. People would call for Moos to be fired if we found out he didn't even try to go for Frost. It is proven he is trying. If Frost turns us down that wouldn't be on Moos. He has been doing this a long time. I think most are going to trust what he does. Now if he hires another Mike Riley type of guy, yes there would be pitchforks in hands. lol

Me personally? Yes I believe he has already made a decision. I believe he has Frost lined up and waiting to announce after Frost season is done. Guessing others may not feel the same. Hence the question.

Earlier this year, UCF signed (Scott) Frost to an extension through the 2021 season, and Nebraska would have to buy out that contract to bring him to Lincoln. According to the Orlando Sentinel, that buyout would cost $3 million.

Based on all the speculations, the dominoes will begin to fall next week, and Frost's actual decision will come, after the AAC championship game or do you see it sooner?

Reactions: husker2612
Earlier this year, UCF signed (Scott) Frost to an extension through the 2021 season, and Nebraska would have to buy out that contract to bring him to Lincoln. According to the Orlando Sentinel, that buyout would cost $3 million.

Based on all the speculations, the dominoes will begin to fall next week, and Frost's actual decision will come, after the AAC championship game or do you see it sooner?
I don't believe the buyout will be any factor in NU hiring Frost. I believe it will be announced that Riley is fired shortly after the Iowa game. Sometime between Fri and Mon. If it is Frost I think it will probably be announced Dec 3 (day after their champ game) If for some reason they wouldn't make it to the game. It would be announced sooner.

Not sure if you are aware, but coaches, players, and yes even ADs..... LIE!!

So now you are calling Moos a liar? Throw in internet board members as liars as well then. Now that would be just how Moos would like to start off his new job, saying one thing and doing another, how long do you think he would last as AD?

I simply do not understand people like you.

What do you think the reason Moos is stalling to fire Riley? Here are my best possible guesses

1. He still hasn't figured out what he wants to do with MR
2. He knows he wants to Fire MR but has no option lined up to take over yet.
3. He has someone lined up to take over (cough cough, Frost) who is 100% so he figured there is no hurry to fire MR now.
4. He said early on he wasn't going to make a decisoin on Riley until year end and he is keeping his word.

Best guesses right there. I really hope it is option 3. Who knows at this point. We could all be in for another shocker/ google type hire or even more shocker Riley stays lol
I don't know that any of the options fit to my thinking. I think he is still evaluating, but knows what he wants to do.

I am certain (IMO) that he has reached out to prospective coaches to gauge their interests, if there were to be an opening at Nebraska...

And I think he has one or two specific coaches that he is working the hardest. No coach wants to know there were the 2 or 3 pick, so this has to be handled appropriately.

I believe Mr. Moos knows exactly how to do this and we will find out soon.

So now you are calling Moos a liar? Throw in internet board members as liars as well then. Now that would be just how Moos would like to start off his new job, saying one thing and doing another, how long do you think he would last as AD?

I simply do not understand people like you.
Ok

What do you think the reason Moos is stalling to fire Riley? Here are my best possible guesses

3. He has someone lined up to take over (cough cough, Frost) who is 100% so he figured there is no hurry to fire MR now.
4. He said early on he wasn't going to make a decisoin on Riley until year end and he is keeping his word.

Best guesses right there. I really hope it is option 3. Who knows at this point. We could all be in for another shocker/ google type hire or even more shocker Riley stays lol
To keep the recruiting class intact. Frost will have a decent base to build on instead of 4 recruits and only one month to recruit.

I vote No. 4

I think Frost’s people have expressed to Moos that as long as the contract is right, he will come home. My gut feeling at least of the situation. He has no allegiance with Riley. With that known there is no reason to not fire him and get to work unless the work is already done. We will find out soon enough.

The first two sentences here tells me Bill Moos has the next coach 110% locked up. And it happened between Novemeber 6-13.
Is there something special about the 6th? I always suspected his decision was made sometime around 5 PM om the 4th when Langs decided to throw on the Northwestern 19 on 1st and 10 with a seven point lead and 10 minutes left. Any shred of hope I may have had for the Mike Riley era evaporated with that interception.

Is there something special about the 6th? I always suspected his decision was made sometime around 5 PM om the 4th when Langs decided to throw on the Northwestern 19 on 1st and 10 with a seven point lead and 10 minutes left. Any shred of hope I may have had for the Mike Riley era evaporated with that interception.

IMO, "the decision" was made when Eichorst was fired.

Article on the 7th, Moos said (paraphrase) a decision hasn't been made, or something really close to that. Then in the article previously linked it's different, for the better.

Reading between the lines, he's got his guy.

IMO, "the decision" was made when Eichorst was fired.

Article on the 7th, Moos said (paraphrase) a decision hasn't been made, or something really close to that. Then in the article previously linked it's different, for the better.

Reading between the lines, he's got his guy.
got it - thanks

I think Frost’s people have expressed to Moos that as long as the contract is right, he will come home. My gut feeling at least of the situation. He has no allegiance with Riley. With that known there is no reason to not fire him and get to work unless the work is already done. We will find out soon enough.

Well, you know what they say....you should always trust your gut. Your gut seems to be leading you in the right direction. ;)

I'm not quite sure why that equals Moos has his guy locked up. I suppose if a person thought he wouldn't make that decision until he knew he had a replacement in place that assumption could be made.

You may have seen (or not) some posts that I made after the Northwestern game that said...from what I was told....at least some players KNEW for a fact that Riley was done. Hell, if you watched the entire Minn game, they even alluded to the fact that players may have had a hard time focusing because they were questioning Riley's status as HC.

Then, I heard things on the following Monday that pointed very strongly towards a potential HC target. By Monday of this week, we heard that NU was contacting UCF expressing strong interest in their HC.

Now, you should go back and look at the comments/articles that Tim is referring to....and the diferrences in Moos's statements.

Coincidence with what I...and hell, a lot of us have heard by now? Or pieces to a child's 20 piece puzzle.

Fact. SF turned down Florida last week. That was Florida's top target. They have since moved on to Chip Kelly. They know they are not getting Frost. Tennessee isn't, either. Might as well throw that in the mix, too.

Now, think 6th through the 13th.... as Tim said.....and as I have said, already knows more than what I do.

Now, for everyone else, stop asking for Riley to be fired tomorrow. I feel pretty strongly many of you will get your wish in less than a few weeks. Riley is a great guy that just didn't pan out here. Some of that has to do with the bs we have heard recently.

Last edited:
You may have seen (or not) some posts that I made after the Northwestern game that said...from what I was told....at least some players KNEW for a fact that Riley was done. Hell, if you watched the entire Minn game, they even alluded to the fact that players may have had a hard time focusing because they were questioning Riley's status as HC.

Then, I heard things on the following Monday that pointed very strongly towards a potential HC target. By Monday of this week, we heard that NU was contacting UCF expressing strong interest in their HC.

Now, you should go back and look at the comments/articles that Tim is referring to....and the diferrences in Moos's statements.

Coincidence with what I...and hell, a lot of us have heard by now? Or pieces to a child's 20 piece puzzle.

Fact. SF turned down Florida last week. That was Florida's top target. They have since moved on to Chip Kelly. They know they are not getting Frost. Tennessee isn't, either. Might as well throw that in the mix, too.

Now, think 6th through the 13th. Tim knows his s*it....you know this, man...lol...and as I have said, already knows more than what I do.

You are a smart guy, dingle. Add 2+2+2. Use addition, not calc. Don't make it harder than it is....jk...Lol.

Now, for everyone else, stop asking for Riley to be fired tomorrow. I feel pretty strongly many of you will get your wish in less than a few weeks. Riley is a great guy that just didn't pan out here. Some of that has to do with the bs we have heard recently.
I think this is all true.
patience!

He’s old. We older folks take a little longer to get things done. You know...sore knees and hips...still haven’t found the bathroom closest to the new office...ran out of Geritol... The list is long.
did he get his geritol from Joe Swiback back in the AWA days.

Reactions: Bremser
Fact. SF turned down Florida last week. That was Florida's top target. They have since moved on to Chip Kelly.

Frost was their first choice over Kelly? Seems backwards unless his age is a concern.

I continue to think that Frost is coming to Nebraska.
Patience people. In about 7-9 days Mike Riley is going to be fired. After that happens all other events will unfold quickly.
In my opinion, there is very little chance that Frost is announced as the new coach until after UCF plays their last regular season game. But it will happen soon after that.

Then why? A proven top flight college HC vs. a maybe.

I can't really answer that. I am sure Strickin had them both on his list, but I was told Frost did turn them down. That does not mean he was flat out offered the job, but may have declined to be considered for it.

Reactions: WHCSC

Now, think 6th through the 13th.... as Tim said.....and as I have said, already knows more than what I do.

I'm with you. These wheels were set in motion all the way back after the Ohio State game. But then we had people clinging to these fantasy scenarios of what if NU wins out and finishes 8-4 that Riley would keep his job.

Anyone could objectively see that was a fantasy and I guarantee you that Moos did to and was already working on a replacement. Now maybe he threw this out as a carrot knowing there was almost no chance of it happening. Then as reality set in and the losses kept on, he adjusted his statements and everyone has been moving toward what was already planned.

These talks with Frost were always plan A. Plan B was a Riley miracle that never came to pass.

I'm with you. These wheels were set in motion all the way back after the Ohio State game. But then we had people clinging to these fantasy scenarios of what if NU wins out and finishes 8-4 that Riley would keep his job.

Anyone could objectively see that was a fantasy and I guarantee you that Moos did to and was already working on a replacement. Now maybe he threw this out as a carrot knowing there was almost no chance of it happening. Then as reality set in and the losses kept on, he adjusted his statements and everyone has been moving toward what was already planned.

These talks with Frost were always plan A. Plan B was a Riley miracle that never came to pass.

Nailed it.

Actually, I think the wheels were set in motion right after the NIU game and Eichorst was fired. I think Moos knew when he was hired that one of his first jobs was to get rid of Riley and get Frost or some other good coach.

I am appreciative that Riley is handling this thing so gracefully. He has a great opportunity to throw us under the bus, he could talk about the unrealistic fan expectations, the impossibility of getting talent to NU, the fact that everyone here only cares about football and doesn't have anything else. He could make us look pathetic in the media which would effect recruiting for players and coaches. Instead he has been honest about the inability of his team to get the job done. At florida, McElwain, made up a story about his life being threatened and then it leaked that he had problems with admin because of their inability to commit to money to facilities, and he basically talked about how Florida doesn't have the investment to compete right now with Alabama. Florida looked way worse after their firing than we will...and that is important.

ADVERTISEMENT