ADVERTISEMENT

Realistically, how good is our talent level for the new coach?

I think we had enough talent to be 7-3 right now instead of 4-6. 7-3 would not be great, but it is a sufficient core for a good coaching staff to build on without any more losing seasons.
I think this is true

But we fall short because of coaching, not necessarily because a lack of talent. If we had good coaches in place, we would have more players receiving honors.

You are probably right. It’s so hard to tell because the defense is a complete cluster — under Disco. As I stated in another post, even Matt Patricia couldn’t solve the defensive circus run by Disco.

Not sure if serious? That’s what folks thought this year seeing 4 were Redshirt JR. Let that sink in.

Dead serious. You didn't read that from me, and I don't recall reading it at all here. The returning OL in 2018 will have over 110 games of starting experience between 6 or 7 guys plus young (potential) depth.

And a new OL coach.

Let that sink in.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Record next year won't be great regardless of who the head coach is. A bowl game is a reasonable goal. 2019 - schedule is easier - 9 wins or more very possible if things are being corrected "on schedule". We go back to a meat grinder in 2020 but hopefully if things are on track.....the team will be able to handle it much better. First goal is start kicking Wisky and Iowa around - then we can worry about catching up with the East.

Let's look at next year.

Is it good enough to beat Akron, Colorado and Troy — all at home — in the non-conference? YES 3-0
Is it good enough to go 3-3 against West teams Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota and Illinois? YES 6-3
Is it good enough to go 1-2 against East teams Michigan and Ohio State — away — and Michigan State at home? YES 7-5

Is that too much to ask of a team that might otherwise be otherwise damaged from years of psychological warfare and losing? Could be.

But we have the talent. That written, MSU and Colorado could go the other way and leave us at 5-7, but as long as the team seems to care as much as the fans do, then we'll get better over time.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
Curious whether being in Big 10 cut off the number of Texas recruits you used to get. Reveling in the Horns misery. Going on 8 seasons now. Hate to see the Huskers doing so badly.

Curious whether being in Big 10 cut off the number of Texas recruits you used to get. Reveling in the Horns misery. Going on 8 seasons now. Hate to see the Huskers doing so badly.

Yup...those 6 players on a roster of 140 is the defining factor in Nebraska's downfall.

giphy.gif

I am not with most of the sky is falling crowd that is posting here. Do we have all world or even all conference talent across the board. Absolutely not. But it is hard to really evaluate a lot of the players for a couple of reasons.

A. Poorly coached. What talent they do have is not being maximized.
B. Poorly coached in a lot of areas.
C. Lack of motivation and work in the weight room. A lot of that falls on the players but the coaches certainly need to be involved in that as well.
D. Players have laid down in some cases and abandon this season.

A change in coaches and motivation can certainly make these guys better than they are currently. It may take a few more examples being made but this group is not void of talent. I certainly think talent wise that we have more than all but probably Wisconsin in the Big 10 West. But it just isn't being developed.

Assuming we get a good coach, I expect to go at least 9-3 next year. We have more than enough talent to be able to do that.

Not to mention our schedule isn't as much of a meat-grinder as people make it out to be. Colorado had a great year last year but they're back to being no better than average. Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Michigan all have major flaws as witnessed this year. We should at least be able to split with these teams. Ohio State and Penn State both lost to average Big 10 teams and certainly aren't unbeatable. We have a good chance of stealing a win here. Every other team is an easy win. I see 7-5 as worst case, 10-2 best case scenario.

Dead serious. You didn't read that from me, and I don't recall reading it at all here. The returning OL in 2018 will have over 110 games of starting experience between 6 or 7 guys plus young (potential) depth.

And a new OL coach.

Let that sink in.

Whatever you have to tell yourself. 62 yards rushing against Minn. let that sink in.

Our lines are bad, no amount of weight room work would improve 3-5 starters there. LBs are slow, can't teach speed. Same with big CBs. TEs not athletic.

New coach, conditioning and development would surely help but we are probably going to need 5-10 immediate freshman/Juco upgrades to a talent pool of starters. It's worse than Cally's first year on the job.

Full program reboot

Steve Warren, per a OWH Statel article: Defense, at its best, in its purest form, is simple. And Warren described it in four small sentences. “It’s assignment football, 11 guys who have responsibility and gap and coverage.” “It’s running to the ball, it’s tackling.” “It’s a mentality, more than anything.” “The best defenses are the ones who get after the quarterback.”
“They’re not playing fast, that’s for sure,” Warren said. “Everybody sees that. “The big thing I see when I look at it, they almost look uninterested, like there’s no excitement out there. You can kind of tell they’re a little tight, little stiff. They’re not having fun. Defensive guys are always a little more loose. You can tell when it’s a good defense, they’re having fun together, making plays.”
That's Warren on the D, but I think the same generally can be said of the Oline. This isn't just on Riley, but extends back to BP at least defensively. Thinking too much=slow play that might look as if the players are uninterested. Are our players just stupider than other teams? I don't think so. I do think we lack a couple of difference making players on both sides of the ball. And there is something to the idea of coaches that come from winning traditions. That is simply not true of our current HC.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Forgetting Riley, a historically mediocre coach who we wasted a hire on, I am looking ahead. We are so poorly coached and our team morale is so low that it’s difficult to get a sense of what we have. We have good receivers, I think, but that’s about it.

I want Frost to come like everyone, but it feels like our culture, brand, and roster are so beaten down that we are now a major rebuilding project.

Is the talent there for a turnaround in 1-2 years?
IMO, its better as a whole than the existing coach inherited.

Steve Warren, per a OWH Statel article: Defense, at its best, in its purest form, is simple. And Warren described it in four small sentences. “It’s assignment football, 11 guys who have responsibility and gap and coverage.” “It’s running to the ball, it’s tackling.” “It’s a mentality, more than anything.” “The best defenses are the ones who get after the quarterback.”
“They’re not playing fast, that’s for sure,” Warren said. “Everybody sees that. “The big thing I see when I look at it, they almost look uninterested, like there’s no excitement out there. You can kind of tell they’re a little tight, little stiff. They’re not having fun. Defensive guys are always a little more loose. You can tell when it’s a good defense, they’re having fun together, making plays.”
That's Warren on the D, but I think the same generally can be said of the Oline. This isn't just on Riley, but extends back to BP at least defensively. Thinking too much=slow play that might look as if the players are uninterested. Are our players just stupider than other teams? I don't think so. I do think we lack a couple of difference making players on both sides of the ball. And there is something to the idea of coaches that come from winning traditions. That is simply not true of our current HC.

Where's he coaching?

IMO, its better as a whole than the existing coach inherited.
Morgan, Westy, Reilly, Tommy, Cethan, Newby, Jano, Maliek, VV, Bando, Nate, Gates, Lewis and Sterup. Seven guys affiliated with NFL teams per ESPN. Potential talent is maybe better, but I think talent 2015 vs. 2018 is a wash.

Reactions: TrueBigRedFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT