ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment thread

Not sure what "Nebraska" is supposed to say here.

That is was never, ever, a matter of "if" Texas and Oklahoma were going to bend the B12 over a barrel, it was only a matter of "when"?

Any B12 member that is surprised by this is deserving of what's coming to them if they haven't had their contingency put together for a long time now . Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri (tried to escape to TWO different conferences) and TAMU figured it out.

Last edited:
Would the B1G offer ND more than an equal share to lure them in?

I have no clue about that but ND's media ratings are really high - Most of their games last year were in the top 5 of all views for that particular Saturday - almost all of them over 3million viewers

By contrast, Nebraska's are also high (for a team that doesn't really win lately) we're using sitting in the top 10 in terms of eyeballs for Saturday's in the fall - and we still have good ratings even though most of our games have unfavorable time slots

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Would the B1G offer ND more than an equal share to lure them in?
I don't see it. If they were coming off a run they had in the late 80's early 90's than yes. Even if they offered the same deal they offered the ACC all the NBC revenue. The BIG 10 will not take it. ACC was desperate and needed the money. Notre dame still has the delusion they matter. Nothing lasts forever.

Wow. Surprised they are waiting that long. Seems like a lot of bad blood to harbor for 4 years. Surely they’ll make the move before 2024-2025?
It's really a staring contest. Cracks will form on one side or the other, and a negotiated buyout of the media rights will happen. Just a matter of who makes what moves from the Big 12 side and the SEC/UT/OU side (and other forces as well).

I also don't think they will stick around in the conference that long, but that is when the current media rights agreement ends.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Wow. Surprised they are waiting that long. Seems like a lot of bad blood to harbor for 4 years. Surely they’ll make the move before 2024-2025?
The buyout is pretty iron clad and is pretty costly. Unless someone else is going to pay it or help pay it.

I think they are hoping the league folds or the SEC and TV partners pay it off.

The buyout is pretty iron clad and is pretty costly. Unless someone else is going to pay it or help pay it.

I think they are hoping the league folds or the SEC and TV partners pay it off.
Yep, BIG, ACC, and Pac12 can't take on any Big12 remnants without diluting pay to their existing schools. Looks like Texas and OU will stay until its' financially worth it, ie 2024.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31896835/college-football-conference-realignment-tracker-biggest-questions-next-steps-league?platform=amp

More B1G-PAC merger talk. Sounds the the B1G snobs are turning up their noses at non AAU schools, so not all would be options. But just for fun…

BIG-PAC Conference: 24 teams with four 6 team pods

-5 games vs your pod
-4 crossover games with your neighboring pod (West & Plains, Lakes & East). Protect the rivalry games with this.
-3 crossover games with the remaining two pods
-Conference tournament with the 4 pod winners
-Eliminate non conference games

West:
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Arizona

Plains:
Nebraska
Iowa
Kansas
Colorado
TCU
Wildcard - OSU, ISU, ASU, Utah ?

Lakes:
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern

East:
Purdue
Ohio State
Indiana
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland

Last edited:
And the Texas administration didn’t want any part of the SEC, bunch of Brave Sir Robin’s. And it was the B1G that Bomber89 was talking about, not the SEC.

Dead wrong again, and in both sentences.

The Texas academic side had reservations, but there was still strong mutual interest in leaving the SWC with aggy to join Arkansas in the SEC. Texas and aggy administrators talked with Frank Broyles and Arkansas administrators while Arkansas was still in the SWC and said that Arkansas would need to make the first move in order create some political space for them to follow. Broyles thought that Texas and aggy were almost certain to join the SEC after Arkansas left. Ultimately, though, the Texas lieutenant governor and other legislators made enough threats toward both schools to nip that possibility in the bud, as the SEC had no interest in the other SWC schools.

And the previous poster said "everyone" would have wanted Nebraska, not just the Big Ten. The "BIG" was in reference to Nebraska's stature as a program competitively, since NU obviously was not in the Big Ten twenty-five years ago.

Hilarious, let Arkansas make the first move while the Brave Sir Robin’s at Texas didn’t have the brass to make the move on their own. Typical Texas, just goes to show you how badly they wanted to go but needed Arkansas to hold their hand. RollingLaugh

Reactions: scarletred
Hilarious, let Arkansas make the first move while the Brave Sir Robin’s at Texas didn’t have the brass to make the move on their own. Typical Texas.

LOL, you sure seem bright. 😂Tell me what state school would move conferences for athletics if their state legislature was threatening to nuke funding.

LOL, you sure seem bright. 😂Tell me what state school would move conferences for athletics if their state legislature was threatening to nuke funding.
Just shows how dumb you are when you state that political figures didn’t want to make a move knowing reality says they didn’t want their poor horns to get beat down in the SEC, but used threats veiled as financial harpoons to stop the move.

Dead wrong again, and in both sentences.

The Texas academic side had reservations, but there was still strong mutual interest in leaving the SWC with aggy to join Arkansas in the SEC. Texas and aggy administrators talked with Frank Broyles and Arkansas administrators while Arkansas was still in the SWC and said that Arkansas would need to make the first move in order create some political space for them to follow. Broyles thought that Texas and aggy were almost certain to join the SEC after Arkansas left. Ultimately, though, the Texas lieutenant governor and other legislators made enough threats toward both schools to nip that possibility in the bud, as the SEC had no interest in the other SWC schools.

And the previous poster said "everyone" would have wanted Nebraska, not just the Big Ten. The "BIG" was in reference to Nebraska's stature as a program competitively, since NU obviously was not in the Big Ten twenty-five years ago.
Dead wrong

Just shows how dumb you are when you state that political figures didn’t want to make a move knowing reality says they didn’t want their poor horns to get beat down in the SEC, but used threats veiled as financial harpoons to stop the move.

You're really struggling here. The Lt. Gov. and the legislators that threatened Texas and aggy were . . . this will apparently shock you . . . graduates of the other SWC schools, not of Texas and aggy.

It seems you don't understand how much of anything works. 😂

You're really struggling here. The Lt. Gov. and the legislators that threatened Texas and aggy were . . . this will apparently shock you . . . graduates of the other SWC schools, not of Texas and aggy.

It seems you don't understand how much of anything works. 😂

Graduates of other SWC schools? Who were they and what schools did they graduate from? If they truly were grads from other schools, they obviously had a vested interest in keeping the SWC intact, even though the football part of the conference was pretty much a shit show save for a few teams.

There was enough clout at ut in the AD and with boosters that had they really wanted to bolt for the SEC back then, they could have smoothed things over to get it done. Funny as hell that they had to have Arky be the team to stick their foot in the water first.

Go back to your horn board, you might get an audience who cares.

From what I remember, it was pretty much Ann Richards leading the charge. She was a Baylor alum. She helped broker the folding of the SWC and moving the Texas 4 into the Big XII contingent on Baylor being one of those 4. If I remember right, there had initially been talks about it being Houston or TCU as the 4th, but she used her clout to get Baylor in as the 4th and relegating SMU, TCU, Houston, and Rice to mid major status.

From what I remember, it was pretty much Ann Richards leading the charge. She was a Baylor alum. She helped broker the folding of the SWC and moving the Texas 4 into the Big XII contingent on Baylor being one of those 4. If I remember right, there had initially been talks about it being Houston or TCU as the 4th, but she used her clout to get Baylor in as the 4th and relegating SMU, TCU, Houston, and Rice to mid major status.
i do remember feeling like we were dealing with shysters
maybe the rest of the big8 members finally feel the same.

If they truly were grads from other schools, they obviously had a vested interest in keeping the SWC intact, even though the football part of the conference was pretty much a shit show save for a few teams.

Man, what an insight. You sure learn quickly. 😂

As for the rest of the post, you should finish up your GED before attempting to participate in this conversation any further. In the meantime, stick to whatever it is you know, if anything.

Man, what an insight. You sure learn quickly. 😂

As for the rest of the post, you should finish up your GED before attempting to participate in this conversation any further. In the meantime, stick to whatever it is you know, if anything.
Since you really haven't done anything to dispute the rest of the post, I say you've done nothing more than show yourself to be a person who can't grasp the reality of that situation. Geezus, needing Arkansas to take the first step, oh my lord, poor old texas couldn't do anything but let another team do the heavy lifting. Hilarious.

Still waiting for that list of non ut grad legislators who wagged their finger towards ut and A&M, with maybe some of their rhetoric thrown in to let us all know how they truly felt about the situation.

Last edited:
Remaining Big 12 schools willing to sign a GOR extension:

Baylor
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech

unwilling:

Iowa State
Kansas
West Virginia
That tells the story right there of who is looking / hoping for better situations to occur. ISU likely for the Big 10, KU for the Big 10 or ACC, and WSU for the ACC.

Reactions: 54T
I have no clue about that but ND's media ratings are really high - Most of their games last year were in the top 5 of all views for that particular Saturday - almost all of them over 3million viewers

By contrast, Nebraska's are also high (for a team that doesn't really win lately) we're using sitting in the top 10 in terms of eyeballs for Saturday's in the fall - and we still have good ratings even though most of our games have unfavorable time slots
That's why we get the unfavorable slots.

Reactions: CT-NUred
They're hoping something else happens where they won't have to pay the penalty

Reactions: saluno22
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31896835/college-football-conference-realignment-tracker-biggest-questions-next-steps-league?platform=amp

More B1G-PAC merger talk. Sounds the the B1G snobs are turning up their noses at non AAU schools, so not all would be options. But just for fun…

BIG-PAC Conference: 24 teams with four 6 team pods

-5 games vs your pod
-4 crossover games with your neighboring pod (West & Plains, Lakes & East). Protect the rivalry games with this.
-3 crossover games with the remaining two pods
-Conference tournament with the 4 pod winners
-Eliminate non conference games

West:
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Arizona

Plains:
Nebraska