ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment thread

NIL decision publicly humiliated the NCAA and they are basically powerless. The SEC is building an elite conference and will break away from the NCAA. They will have all of the best inventory under their self governing flag, which will provide all of the best payment opportunities for their kids and very large checks to the members. And when the SEC gets enough members, they will have their own league that is modeled after the NFL.

the SEC is Disney owned so yes, whatever squeezes the most juice, it’ll happen

To me, the only additions that make geographical sense and is an equal counter to the SEC is to add Notre Dame and Iowa State. Both also fit with the conference academically. The fact that they haven't been able to land Notre Dame up to now, though, leaves me dubious.

Even so, imagine putting ND in the west. It would set up a fairly regular championship game between them and OSU, which would be a major rivalry with tons of coverage. Much more interesting than OSU-Wisconsin.

This means that there is still time for Warren to start filling his pants with the additions of Texas and Notre Dame. If he could do that I would be extremely impressed and would change my mind as to his abilities to elevate the conference. The B1G might not have to raid the PAC at all with those two additions, the best of the PAC would see the light coming at them in the tunnel and would seek membership into the B1G on their own I would expect.

If the ACC could snag Penn State and Notre Dame next go around and the SEC gets Texas and Oklahoma then the B1G HAS TO raid the PAC in order to keep it's head above the big boy table top.

Or the B1G could seek the interest of USC, UCLA, KU, CU, Oregon, and Stanford. But so far in all the conference shakedowns I've not seen a situation where the conference seeks others to join save for Notre Dame. It has always been outsiders requesting admittance.

The SEC doesn't need Texas, but the B1G could really use that school in my opinion. Regardless of the perception many on here have of their ability to poison the well. At this point in the direction we all know collegiate football is going , conferences really won't matter much in the end game. Texas is a Flagship AAU blueblood that happens to have the 2nd best recruiting territory for football in the country. I would argue getting Texas would be a better addition than Notre Dame speaking from 1000000 miles up.

If I were in the B1G leadership structure I would be active in seeking outside schools at this juncture. I would sweeten the deal for the incoming targets. I would offer Texas, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, KU, and Stanford. In these you have 2 of the top 3 recruiting territories in the country, an almost Ivy league addition in Stanford, 2 flagship universities, ALL of them are AAU, excellent basketball addition in Kansas, and the playing-hard-to-get crown jewel it seems for the B1G in Notre Dame.

Last edited:
This means that there is still time for Warren to start filling his pants with the additions of Texas and Notre Dame. If he could do that I would be extremely impressed and would change my mind as to his abilities to elevate the conference. The B1G might not have to raid the PAC at all with those two additions, the best of the PAC would see the light coming at them in the tunnel and would seek membership into the B1G on their own I would expect.

If the ACC could snag Penn State and Notre Dame next go around and the SEC gets Texas and Oklahoma then the B1G HAS TO raid the PAC in order to keep it's head above the big boy table top.

Or the B1G could seek the interest of USC, UCLA, KU, CU, Oregon, and Stanford. But so far in all the conference shakedowns I've not seen a situation where the conference seeks others to join save for Notre Dame. It has always been outsiders requesting admittance.

The SEC doesn't need Texas, but the B1G could really use that school in my opinion. Regardless of the perception many on here have of their ability to poison the well. At this point in the direction we all know collegiate football is going , conferences really won't matter much in the end game. Texas is a Flagship AAU blueblood that happens to have the 2nd best recruiting territory for football in the country. I would argue getting Texas would be a better addition than Notre Dame speaking from 1000000 miles up.

If I were in the B1G leadership structure I would be active in seeking outside schools at this juncture. I would sweeten the deal for the incoming targets. I would offer Texas, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, KU, and Stanford. In these you have 2 of the top 3 recruiting territories in the country, an almost Ivy league addition in Stanford, 2 flagship universities, ALL of them are AAU, excellent basketball addition in Kansas, and the playing-hard-to-get crown jewel it seems for the B1G in Notre Dame.

The Big10 is just fine.

Regardless of what anybody says, it is still the 2nd best football conference in the country and arguably best overall conference with all sports included.

Texas and OU moving to the SEC is a monumental move in college sports, but the B1G still has its power. Talk is of the SEC and B10 raiding other conferences for more teams, not the other way around.

Time to let the dust settle and see how this all shakes out.

The Big10 is just fine.

Regardless of what anybody says, it is still the 2nd best football conference in the country and arguably best overall conference with all sports included.

Texas and OU moving to the SEC is a monumental move in college sports, but the B1G still has its power. Talk is of the SEC and B10 raiding other conferences for more teams, not the other way around.

wouldn't the arguably best overall conference have to, I don't know, occasionally actually win a championship in any sport to carry that mantle?

The Big10 is just fine.

I think the B1G and SEC are fighting for the honor of their respective conferences being the ones that make it across the finish line intact and not raided when crossing the threshold of college football development of a new condensed league with an official national champion decided by playoff that garners all the eyes that matter.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Wrestling is pretty good, so is hockey.

Won a natty in college football 7 years ago.

What has Texas and OU won this millennium?
OU won the softball CWS like 2 months ago.

UT is a swimming dynasty our volleyball program would be jealous of.

if we're talking conferences, Baylor just won the hoops title in April.

b1g list of most recent national titles is so hilariously b1g it hurts:

TeamAcademic YearSport
Illinois2011–12Men's Gymnastics
Indiana2012–13Men's Soccer
Iowa2020–21Wrestling
Maryland2018–19Women's Lacrosse
Michigan2020–21Women's Gymnastics
Michigan State2014–15Women's Cross Country
Minnesota2015–16Women's Ice Hockey
Nebraska2020–21Women's Bowling
Northwestern2011–12Women's Lacrosse
Ohio State2016–17Men's Volleyball
Penn State2018–19Wrestling
Purdue2009–10Women's Golf
Rutgers*1948–49Men's Fencing (tie)
Wisconsin2020–21Women's Ice Hockey

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
OU won the softball CWS like 2 months ago.

UT is a swimming dynasty our volleyball program would be jealous of.

if we're talking conferences, Baylor just won the hoops title in April.

b1g list of most recent national titles is so hilariously b1g it hurts:

TeamAcademic YearSport
Illinois2011–12Men's Gymnastics
Indiana2012–13Men's Soccer
Iowa2020–21Wrestling
Maryland2018–19Women's Lacrosse
Michigan2020–21Women's Gymnastics
Michigan State2014–15Women's Cross Country
Minnesota2015–16Women's Ice Hockey
Nebraska2020–21Women's Bowling
Northwestern2011–12Women's Lacrosse
Ohio State2016–17Men's Volleyball
Penn State2018–19Wrestling
Purdue2009–10Women's Golf
Rutgers*1948–49Men's Fencing (tie)
Wisconsin2020–21Women's Ice Hockey

Such an awesome conference that their 2 flagship programs just left. You know, the 2 that actually win stuff.

Such an awesome conference that their 2 flagship programs just left. You know, the 2 that actually win stuff.
as opposed to ours, which touts literally everything except on-field success as reason why its 'best'

the b1g conference: so prestigious, even defunct conferences accomplish more!

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Your hate for the Big10 and Nebraska runs deep.

Try to smile more and enjoy a bit of life.
I have zero hate for Nebraska, my birthplace, childhood home and alma mater.

I have lifelong hatred for the b1g, however, and have seen literally zero evidence during our time as a member to convince me that hatred has been misplaced. it's a joke.

f*ck this pathetic loser conference now, then and forever. any who side with it are the allies of sexual deviants, molesters, pedophiles and, perhaps most despicable, total futility/mediocrity on the field/court.

Just like the last realignment. The teams joining the "POWER' conferences will be the ones who have huge tv markets and add to geographical footprint of the conference. You would obviously want to add someone closer to the areas your already in because no one wants to travel 1,000+ plus miles per game. the big 12 is dead and gone, time to cut the knees from the ACC. I would take Georgia tech and the Atlanta market and the team keeping them relevant Clemson. The sec already has Georgia and South Carolina so there not going to get a ton more subscriber's to the SEC network adding those teams. Then you divide North Carolina, Virginia between the SEC and the Big Ten. might as add Louisville and a Florida school but not Florida State with NIL deals players are going to want to play in bigger markets, Pick between UCF and USF. Trailerhasse market is not big enough. No way Notre Dame joins the Big 10, you already have two indiana schools. Notre dame only has prestige in the midwest plus no one under 60 even cares about the mystique of the Irish. doubt many people in the south even know where Notre DAme is.

Notre dame only has prestige in the midwest plus no one under 60 even cares about the mystique of the Irish. doubt many people in the south even know where Notre DAme is.

This is....not true. Notre Dame has the largest national following of any college football program. They have their own national TV contract. They are the most popular program in 2 of the 3 largest U.S. cities (Chicago and New York City). A lot of Catholic boomers who have retired to the South still care about them quite a bit.

This is....not true. Notre Dame has the largest national following of any college football program. They have their own national TV contract. They are the most popular program in 2 of the 3 largest U.S. cities (Chicago and New York City). A lot of Catholic boomers who have retired to the South still care about them quite a bit.
another reason that makes Notre Dame unlikely to be sought after for realignment is the tv contract with NBC that expires in 2025. I know a lot of older Notre dame fans are retirees and such but not much younger. It's a declining brand and program who has screwed up by remaining independent. IMO

another reason that makes Notre Dame unlikely to be sought after for realignment is the tv contract with NBC that expires in 2025. I know a lot of older Notre dame fans are retirees and such but not much younger. It's a declining brand and program who has screwed up by remaining independent. IMO
Folks haven’t been paying attention. ND has a storied history, but the current generations are wanting to erase history. As religion is being slowly stripped away by the woke crowd, so are historical connections

Would the B1G offer ND more than an equal share to lure them in?

ADVERTISEMENT