ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment thread

To an NU fan, KU and ISU add a lot of value.

Two regional teams that have history with Nebraska.

Games that are easy to travel to.

Most importantly, two teams that are unlikely to take over Nebraska in the B10 pecking order.

Why exactly are WE wanting teams with more prestige that bring a little more cash that is going to be split 16 ways? The difference between adding Notre Dame or Iowa State probably won’t amount to more than a couple million on the bottom line for each team in the conference, but adding a team that is probably likely to lower Nebraska’s standing in the conference IS bad for the fan experience and also the athletic department’s bottom line.

As a Nebraska fan we better hope Michigan and OSU do not go to the SEC. Without those two big hitters the BIG Ten money is like a fart in the wind.

See what happens when you suck for 20 years, you become very unattractive. 25 years ago Nebraska would have been the BIG team everyone wanted, now we are hoping we are not left at the alter.

All thanks to not willing to hire top coaches and willing to hold on to losing hands too long.

Reactions: bomber89
OSU and Michigan are the anchors of the Big 10 conference. They aren’t going anywhere.

Reactions: sandiegohawk
You should know he is a UCONN troll that works for Barstools that was posting that tweet to draw in more clicks to his podcast.

You gotta be smarter.
Nah, I am hearing from other sources as well. Anyone that thinks OU & UT are the only targets, are being naive. ESPN is pushing for a super conference to get the most valuable inventory, and the SEC wants to pull away from the NCAA. NIL has made the timing right because the NCAA has been neutered. I believe they want to emulate the NFL model under one flag. Possibly as many as 32 teams or more and they hold their own playoffs and championship with ESPN covering it all. The league will be worth $Billions, and the exposure for the players presents huge NIL opportunities. You can bet Ohio St will be paying attention. At one time Neb would have been a shoo in for a league such as this but those days are long gone.

Nah, I am hearing from other sources as well. Anyone that thinks OU & UT are the only targets, are being naive. ESPN is pushing for a super conference to get the most valuable inventory, and the SEC wants to pull away from the NCAA. NIL has made the timing right because the NCAA has been neutered. I believe they want to emulate the NFL model under one flag. Possibly as many as 32 teams or more and they hold their own playoffs and championship with ESPN covering it all. The league will be worth $Billions, and the exposure for the players presents huge NIL opportunities. You can bet Ohio St will be paying attention. At one time Neb would have been a shoo in for a league such as this but those days are long gone.

“Sources”

th

Nebraska has a much brighter future than ISU. Deal with it and go away Clone.

Jiminy Crickets. As if flying to play at Rutgers or Maryland wasn't bad enough.... This whole deal where logical geographic conferences were torn apart makes zero sense to me. I guess global warming really isn't a thing or none of the pointy heads stirring this pot would be making these moves requiring air travel for just about every game.
It’s the non revenue sports that play every few days that will have a hard time doing this.

You are being trolled by random noise. It isn't breaking news that OU and UT aren't the only schools that the SEC would like to have.

You do realize that every Big Ten school is under a GOR you know and that GOR is not up for like another 20 years. And they have a ton of money tied into BTN.

Caller: SEC
Person: HI
Caller: You want to join the SEC?
Person: Yes.
Caller: Awsome. So, how many years you have left on the GOR?
Person: 20 years.
Caller: Oh, how much would that cost?
Person: 20 years worth of media payout.

Don't be so stupid.

If the SEC called ISU tomorrow and said "Join us BUT you have to leave the AAU". Guess what, ISU is joining the sec.

Again, if you are not IVY or NW or Stanford or Cal Tech or MIT, no one cares.

FACT 1: ACC has a GOR going until 2036. So they can reach out all they want, they aren't going anywhere for many years to come.

FACT 2: Desperate Big 12 schools are lookign for a new home. Well, no shit they will reach out.

FACT 3: Big Ten schools also have a GOR and already make a shit load of money. And would make even more with California under the footprint.

It's random noise by people drunk over arrogance.

To an NU fan, KU and ISU add a lot of value.

Two regional teams that have history with Nebraska.

Games that are easy to travel to.

Most importantly, two teams that are unlikely to take over Nebraska in the B10 pecking order
To the conference, they could care less what Nebraska likes and feels. They could care less if NU slips below them. Might even applaud it, tbh.

I think Kansas will go to the ACC. Entirely a basketball move that will solidify that conference's hardcourt dominance. That would also get them to 16 schools depending on ND.
The Big 10 should put Texas A&M at the top of it's wishlist. Nebraska would indirectly benefit by regaining Texas recruiting territory in-conference. I feel like the Big 10 f'd up by not pursuing OU and Texas earlier and NU f'd up by not trying to gain admittance to the SEC years ago.
Having said all that if we do see 4 16 team conferences, will two be powerful and two that are a joke made of leftovers?

Reactions: baseball31ne
I'm surprised big 12 teams just don't let 0u and ut go, and collect the exit big fees from them.
they have a tv contract till 2025
then they could get Nebraska, missouri and colorado to join the big 12 again. maybe bring in a ND, byu, colorado state etc.
Mizzou loves the SEC!

Not a chance of going anywhere else.

Reactions: TheZouKeeper
This is accurate.

For all the talk about conference realignment, the ultimate end game is two conferences with 4 or 5 team divisions, similar to the NFL.

Call the conferences whatever you want. Be in whichever conference, won’t really matter.

The key will be to be included in the new world of college football run by a commissioner rather than the NCAA.

I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State to the SEC rumors. Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC is not the end game.

It's funny to think how this all could have been avoided, if the Big 8 had just sided with Dr. Osborne and Nebraska.
cool story. maybe we should all talk about the national championships that usually follows with any mention of Osborne

Mizzou loves the SEC!

Not a chance of going anywhere else.
well I suggested missou think about it for academic reasons, but there's also another reason, recruiting...
in ut's and 0u's lil plan, they want to tank the big 12...so:
1. they don't have to pay exit fees, ect..
2. they think they, with aTm, will be getting all the good recruits from baylor, tcu, tt, okie state, isu, and ku.
what's gonna happen is, the big is going to 40 schools, and actually be big/think big...

this means the pac 12, remains of big 12 and ND, byu and boise state are boarding the big. meanwhile ut will get slaughtered in the sec..and no player in texas wants to wear orange and get dragged every saturday. and after a few years the same happens to 0u...

so what's going to happen is, the texas recruits going to look around and say, I can play 4 texas teams in the big and not get dragged by bama..then they will set their sites on Nebraska..cause it's close to home and NU will beat all them 4 texas teams (I've added houston for recruiting purposes)

now missou can still go to a non aau conference and get dragged..or they can wise up and start landing alot of texas recruits.
plus eventually people will get tired of watching bama drag these schools, and texas tv set will go off, and their fans will probably hang out on 6th street instead...and do weird things with their new california liberal neighbors in austin.
the sec could be broke in 10 years. and many jailed...just thinking about texas in the sec reminds me of that dueling banjos song...

Last edited:
Outside the box B1G expansion suggestion: Colorado + Air Force + Army + Navy.

In addition to the national TV audience it would bring, all three academies would have a 'civilian' rival in close proximity: Army-Rutgers; Navy-Maryland and Air Force-Colorado.

Last edited:
I think some sort of NFL model awaits as well. Too much entertainment competition to be playing Fordham anymore. Just hope NU is a part of it.
Probably not the best example, as one is pure sports entertainment and the other one is true competitive sports, but I remember in the early days of the WWF (now WWE) a fan used to sit through watching a big name wrestler wrestle a bunch of unknowns, but you watched through all that BS to just watch two marquee wrestlers go up against each other at the end. Now it has transformed to two big name wrestlers always matching up against each other. I can see (and welcome) that direction coming.

This is accurate.

For all the talk about conference realignment, the ultimate end game is two conferences with 4 or 5 team divisions, similar to the NFL.

Call the conferences whatever you want. Be in whichever conference, won’t really matter.

The key will be to be included in the new world of college football run by a commissioner rather than the NCAA.

I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Florida State to the SEC rumors. Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC is not the end game.

There's no truth to it. Stop being such a big dumbass.

I'm amazed at how dumb people can be to let themselves get clickbaited by a barstools employee that was trying to promote his podcast.

There will be 2 large conferences in the end, but not with Ohio State, Michgian, etc in the SEC.

You are a dumb person.

This is accurate.

If you want to out yourself as someone who has zero idea how any of this works, saying schools would leave the B1G for the SEC is a pretty good way to do that

To the conference, they could care less what Nebraska likes and feels. They could care less if NU slips below them. Might even applaud it, tbh.
Ok but I was not addressing the conference, I was talking to Nebraska Cornhusker fans who would rather see the likes of Notre Dame or Clemson join the conference. It seems weird for fans to side with conference interest when it would have a direct negative impact on the athletic department.

Ok but I was not addressing the conference, I was talking to Nebraska Cornhusker fans who would rather see the likes of Notre Dame or Clemson join the conference. It seems weird for fans to side with conference interest when it would have a direct negative impact on the athletic department.
wanting to play good teams isn't necessarily 'siding with the conference'.

seems weird for "fans" (you) to assume the athletic department is a static entity, incapable of improvement.

Reactions: saluno22
wanting to play good teams isn't necessarily 'siding with the conference'.

seems weird for "fans" (you) to assume the athletic department is a static entity, incapable of improvement.
Fair point but what metric gives you confidence that adding better teams will improve Nebraska’s conference standing? What direction is the athletic department trending?

Assuming non-conference games against mid-major and FCS stop existing do you think it is better to add a conference foe with no history that Nebraska can beat 20% of the time or adding a team with history, within traveling distance, that Nebraska can beat 75% of the time?

Fair point but what metric gives you confidence that adding better teams will improve Nebraska’s conference standing? What direction is the athletic department trending?

Assuming non-conference games against mid-major and FCS stop existing do you think it is better to add a conference foe with no history that Nebraska can beat 20% of the time or adding a team with history, within traveling distance, that Nebraska can beat 75% of the time?
I'm not surprised that you'd fall into the 'schedule wins' crowd, what with your extreme aversion to risk and all. I'm also not surprised by your inclination to externalize (what losers do), as opposed to internalize when speaking about our current futility.

our conference standing is something that lays directly in our own control, and will never have anything to do with other teams joining/leaving the league.

I'm not surprised that you'd fall into the 'schedule wins' crowd, what with your extreme aversion to risk and all. I'm also not surprised by your inclination to externalize (what losers do), as opposed to internalize when speaking about our current futility.

our conference standing is something that lays directly in our own control, and will never have anything to do with other teams joining/leaving the league.
Yeah, or I’m not primarily a Nebraska fan but am a huge fan of all Big8 teams. I want to see Nebraska succeed but I look at it as an externalist because that’s what I am.

What doesn’t surprise me is that instead of answering the questions I asked you decided to make wrong assumptions and attack me. Cool talk.

You are being trolled by random noise. It isn't breaking news that OU and UT aren't the only schools that the SEC would like to have.

You do realize that every Big Ten school is under a GOR you know and that GOR is not up for like another 20 years. And they have a ton of money tied into BTN.

Caller: SEC
Person: HI
Caller: You want to join the SEC?
Person: Yes.
Caller: Awsome. So, how many years you have left on the GOR?
Person: 20 years.
Caller: Oh, how much would that cost?
Person: 20 years worth of media payout.

Don't be so stupid.
Denial is everywhere. The first place I saw it was in tweets from Jack McGuire and it wasn’t just OSU & Mich. It included Clemson & FSU. Do you guys seriously think that OU & UT are the only programs that look for greener pastures? NIL has opened doors and ESPN knows that big tech will eventually get into the sports programming game. They have the SEC locked tight and are pushing for the best inventory. They are going to honor UT’s LHN contract even though Bevo has to get rid of it. That is $15M/yr on top of SEC payouts.

Don’t be so naive.

Yeah, or I’m not primarily a Nebraska fan but am a huge fan of all Big8 teams. I want to see Nebraska succeed but I look at it as an externalist because that’s what I am.

What doesn’t surprise me is that instead of answering the questions I asked you decided to make wrong assumptions and attack me. Cool talk.
your questions are neither here nor there.

how Nebraska does is up to them, not other teams. as a fan, I'd like to see them play marquee teams every week. as an outsider, I'm guessing you would, too.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie

His M.O…..I found that out quickly

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Denial is everywhere. The first place I saw it was in tweets from Jack McGuire and it wasn’t just OSU & Mich. It included Clemson & FSU. Do you guys seriously think that OU & UT are the only programs that look for greener pastures? NIL has opened doors and ESPN knows that big tech will eventually get into the sports programming game. They have the SEC locked tight and are pushing for the best inventory. They are going to honor UT’s LHN contract even though Bevo has to get rid of it. That is $15M/yr on top of SEC payouts.

Don’t be so naive.
I’m confused as to why so many think the NIL is tied to a league at all. Johnny Rockstar QB at Southern Oregon can make a bunch of money on NIL if he is a good looking dude, creates interest in his social media acts, can get some local businesses etc.

Regardless of what league Oklahoma plays in, Spencer Ratter is going to make the same amount of money, he has to make his own deals. Frost even said it at media days, we can’t help this kids line up deals, they can only help make sure they don’t get in trouble. Big Red Sports and Imports is going to pay Rattler to do their commercials or sign footballs at their dealership because he is the Oklahoma QB and Heisman candidate, not because he plays Iowa St instead of Florida or Kansas instead of Vanderbilt.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT