ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment thread

I’m confused as to why so many thing the NIL is tied to a league at all. Johnny Rockstar QB at Southern Oregon can make a bunch of money on NIL if he is a good looking dude, creates interest in his social media acts, can get some local businesses etc.

Regardless of what league Oklahoma plays in, Spencer Ratter is going to make the same amount of money, he has to make his own deals. Frost even said it at media days, we can’t help this kids line up deals, they can only help make sure they don’t get in trouble. Big Red Sports and Imports is going to pay Rattler to do their commercials or sign footballs at their dealership because he is the Oklahoma QB and Heisman candidate, not because he plays Iowa St instead of Florida or Kansas instead of Vanderbilt.
exactly.

Master P's son, incoming freshman hoopster at Tenn St, just signed a deal worth upward of $2M. we won't see him on ESPN probably ever.

then again, my school is no longer in the AAU, so what do I know.

i might be late to say nil changed the landscape, but it changed the landscape.

Looks like Kansas was told no by the B1G. I think everyone is jumping the gun with all the wild rumors. The rest of the conferences seem fine with where they're at. Wouldn't be surprised if OU and Texas to the SEC is the only big move that happens. Big 12 will then look to add schools like Cincinnatti, UCF, Houston, and maybe Memphis. At the end of the day this won't change much. SEC will officially be the big dog in football, and the Big 12 will be cemented as the worst of the power 5 conferences, but that's about it.

Reactions: headcard
Sure it did but a kid at Vandy isn’t getting anymore endorsements or NIL money than a kid from anywhere else just because Vandy is in the SEC.
its beyond that.
i think the sec realized, ‘theyre getting paid what?!!! well, f that. we’re going to paid, too!’

Looks like Kansas was told no by the B1G. I think everyone is jumping the gun with all the wild rumors. The rest of the conferences seem fine with where they're at. Wouldn't be surprised if OU and Texas to the SEC is the only big move that happens. Big 12 will then look to add schools like Cincinnatti, UCF, Houston, and maybe Memphis. At the end of the day this won't change much. SEC will officially be the big dog in football, and the Big 12 will be cemented as the worst of the power 5 conferences, but that's about it.
i do like opinions that say, ‘cooler heads will prevail.’
thats closer to the ground.
but, it would not surprise me if b1g got worked.

well I suggested missou think about it for academic reasons, but there's also another reason, recruiting...
in ut's and 0u's lil plan, they want to tank the big 12...so:
1. they don't have to pay exit fees, ect..
2. they think they, with aTm, will be getting all the good recruits from baylor, tcu, tt, okie state, isu, and ku.
what's gonna happen is, the big is going to 40 schools, and actually be big/think big...

this means the pac 12, remains of big 12 and ND, byu and boise state are boarding the big. meanwhile ut will get slaughtered in the sec..and no player in texas wants to wear orange and get dragged every saturday. and after a few years the same happens to 0u...

so what's going to happen is, the texas recruits going to look around and say, I can play 4 texas teams in the big and not get dragged by bama..then they will set their sites on Nebraska..cause it's close to home and NU will beat all them 4 texas teams (I've added houston for recruiting purposes)

now missou can still go to a non aau conference and get dragged..or they can wise up and start landing alot of texas recruits.
plus eventually people will get tired of watching bama drag these schools, and texas tv set will go off, and their fans will probably hang out on 6th street instead...and do weird things with their new california liberal neighbors in austin.
the sec could be broke in 10 years. and many jailed...just thinking about texas in the sec reminds me of that dueling banjos song...
I quit reading after the idea that Mizzou should go to the Big 10 for recruiting.

How has the Big 10 helped Nebraska recruiting?

Can't see dOSU and UM leaving for the SEC.

UT and OU makes sense as they fit geographically and culture-wise.

dOSU and UM would be outliers geographic-wise with no natural rivalries but each other.

UT playing TAMU, Bama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc. is a natural fit.

None of the remnants of the B12 would be of much interest, esp. Iowa St. (small market and already have that covered with Iowa; same reason why the B1G wasn't much interested in adding Pitt).

PAC schools are too far away - travel times/costs plus not as CFB crazed and time zone issues.

That means looking to the ACC (10 years is relatively short in the scheme of things,), and by that, making a big splash.

In this scenario, may expand to as many as 22 teams - taking 8 ACC schools (or ND).

So 2 divisions of 11 teams (so each team plays 10 division games and 1 with a team from the other division).

Atlantic
PSU, RU, UMD, UVA, UNC, Dook, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami, ND

Heartland
dOSU, UM, MSU, IU, PU, NU, UI, UW, Minn, Iowa, Neb

This way, it's a pretty clean cut division-wise with the old B1G schools and Neb consisting of the Heartland and Paterno's dream of an east coast CFB conf (in this case, a division) realized.

The ACC schools may be inclined to make the jump knowing that they'll always be the 2nd banana to the SEC in ESPN's eyes.

Can see the SEC taking VT and NC ST as that opens up 2 more markets for them.

Now, will need Fox to be on board with ponying up some serious $$, which they likely will be prone to doing to protect their 51% stake in BTN and their investment in CFB via FS1.

FS1 won't have to spend much $$ for the broadcast rights to what's left of the B12 (if they're interested at all) and even the PAC will be hurting to see any increase in their broadcast rights.

With a region encompassing pretty much the entire Atlantic coast (the states that care about CFB) and the midwest, BTN would be able to print $$ going to an on-demand/streaming model.

I quit reading after the idea that Mizzou should go to the Big 10 for recruiting.

How has the Big 10 helped Nebraska recruiting?
It hasn’t.. But Nebraska has always recruited nationally know matter what conference they have been in especially before Covid…

No question their concentrating on a 500 mile radius but we landed a QB from texas and a running back from Las Vegas and a defensive lineman from Jacksonville Fla..

I would agree with this. I think the ou/tx $ec thing caught a lot of people off guard.

That said they shouldn't have because like any good AD you need to have in your desk drawer your next replacement for everyone AND conference expansion should have been on everyone's front burner of possibilities.

That said, DON'T make knee jerk reactions just to make a reaction. NOBODY is going to be rushing in to the big 12 that we would probably want. Time to be picky and thoughtful and make a WISE decision

You might be right for the time being.

However, the end game will not be that conferences remain as they are now.

Also, just curious what you’re basing your comment on that the Big 10 told ku no.

they had a gentleman's agreement with the SEC when they joined that would give them veto rights regarding any other schools from Texas.

Never trust good ole boys from the deep South, get it in writing.
Where did you come up with this gentleman agreement? First the SEC does not need to give any university any special consideration to get any team to join the SEC. if any team wants to join the SEC they come with hat in hand asking what they need to do to get into the SEC conference. The conference by laws applies equally to all members of our conference. It takes 3 universities to vote against admission to
Stop a university from joining the conference. Treating all university equally is the key to our conference stability. Each university understands that the good of the conference prevails over petty considerations.

Where did you come up with this gentleman agreement? First the SEC does not need to give any university any special consideration to get any team to join the SEC. if any team wants to join the SEC they come with hat in hand asking what they need to do to get into the SEC conference. The conference by laws applies equally to all members of our conference. It takes 3 universities to vote against admission to
Stop a university from joining the conference. Treating all university equally is the key to our conference stability. Each university understands that the good of the conference prevails over petty considerations.
Great. Now the bottom feeders of the SEC are coming over here to brag.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
This is basically just a big move by Disney to consolidate everything and squeeze all the juice out until it’s no more and then discard it - but still own it. I can see it happening where there’s a super conference, and once people start to hate it and the money isn’t as good, they’ll break off to regional conferences again.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I think Ohio State and Michigan could 100% leave the B1G. It would make sense from a revenue standpoint.

Yes, the South has always been about fair and equal treatment.

• Haha
I think Ohio State and Michigan could 100% leave the B1G. It would make sense from a revenue standpoint.
I highly doubt that either of them would want to leave the B1G for the SEC. Ohio State likes being the king too much to go to the SEC and come in second or worse most years. As for Michigan, I don't see them wanting to be in the same conference as the southern hillbilly schools.

Do you want to see academic riots on university campuses? lol. Don't be so stupid. The research dollars dwarf the athletics money.
A 24 team SEC would be able to create a research lobbying coalition much more powerful than the CIC.

I’m confused as to why so many think the NIL is tied to a league at all. Johnny Rockstar QB at Southern Oregon can make a bunch of money on NIL if he is a good looking dude, creates interest in his social media acts, can get some local businesses etc.

Regardless of what league Oklahoma plays in, Spencer Ratter is going to make the same amount of money, he has to make his own deals. Frost even said it at media days, we can’t help this kids line up deals, they can only help make sure they don’t get in trouble. Big Red Sports and Imports is going to pay Rattler to do their commercials or sign footballs at their dealership because he is the Oklahoma QB and Heisman candidate, not because he plays Iowa St instead of Florida or Kansas instead of Vanderbilt.
NIL castrated the NCAA. Come on man connect the dots.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
NIL castrated the NCAA. Come on man connect the dots.

How?

The NCAA is exactly what all the power conferences have wanted for decades. A powerless police squad without subpoena power and basically couldn't do shit to anybody that cheated against their own agreed upon rules. You do realize the NCAA is the hired hand of every team, right?

Only thing the NIL has done is make power teams even more powerful. If you thought Bama has paid $250K+ for players under the table, what is the real number for all to see?

I’ve said this more times than I can count. NU didn’t just leave the Big 12 for athletic money. They left as much for academics and research money as they did for football/athletics. The CIC is $10 BILLION annually. The $50-$100 million an athletic department may command is peanuts compared to CIC money. OSU and more so Michigan are academic institutions. I have a hard time believing their administration, professors, students, and alums would be okay affiliating with the SEC for a football reasons when they can remain in a conference with academic prestige AND maintain a high level of football, not to mention other sports. Let’s be honest, when it comes to sports, the SEC dominates football (which is the revenue generator) but the BIG is far ahead of them in all sports and academics. IMO OSU and UM leaving for the SEC would be a shortsighted football only move. Which is why in the grand scheme I don’t think they make the jump.

Plains: Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern, IL, Kansas
Lakes: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue

That would protect all of the old rivalries for the old-timer Big Ten schools.
Not all of them.... :).
floyd-of-rosedale-cover_de2e685a-cdc0-4f80-b914-534e73b51e00_900x.png

How?

The NCAA is exactly what all the power conferences have wanted for decades. A powerless police squad without subpoena power and basically couldn't do shit to anybody that cheated against their own agreed upon rules. You do realize the NCAA is the hired hand of every team, right?

Only thing the NIL has done is make power teams even more powerful. If you thought Bama has paid $250K+ for players under the table, what is the real number for all to see?
Because the NCAA is not real. Colleges literally LET the NCAA live.

How?

NIL decision publicly humiliated the NCAA and they are basically powerless. The SEC is building an elite conference and will break away from the NCAA. They will have all of the best inventory under their self governing flag, which will provide all of the best payment opportunities for their kids and very large checks to the members. And when the SEC gets enough members, they will have their own league that is modeled after the NFL.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
NIL decision publicly humiliated the NCAA and they are basically powerless. The SEC is building an elite conference and will break away from the NCAA. They will have all of the best inventory under their self governing flag, which will provide all of the best payment opportunities for their kids and very large checks to the members. And when the SEC gets enough members, they will have their own league that is modeled after the NFL.

The SEC is making a power move, but the NIL is far from the reason.

Maybe we need a new Civil War of North vs South?

I highly doubt that either of them would want to leave the B1G for the SEC. Ohio State likes being the king too much to go to the SEC and come in second or worse most years. As for Michigan, I don't see them wanting to be in the same conference as the southern hillbilly schools.

Didn't people say the same thing about Texas/OU in the Big 12? That they liked being the Kings of the Conference?

Do you want to see academic riots on university campuses? lol. Don't be so stupid. The research dollars dwarf the athletics money.

What would stop Ohio St and Michigan from staying in the Big Ten Academic Alliance, but playing football in the new SEC Conference? The University of Chicago collaborated with the Big Ten for a long time without athletics. Fact is, the Big Ten is irrelevant without Michigan and Ohio State, so these two schools hold all the power.

Didn't people say the same thing about Texas/OU in the Big 12? That they liked being the Kings of the Conference?

What would stop Ohio St and Michigan from staying in the Big Ten Academic Alliance, but playing football in the new SEC Conference? The University of Chicago collaborated with the Big Ten for a long time without athletics. Fact is, the Big Ten is irrelevant without Michigan and Ohio State, so these two schools hold all the power.
You are correct. OSU & Mich could both leave and still collaborate with the BTAA

Michigan doesn't get shit for the move.

Ohio State loses complete and total power of an entire respected conference to take on tougher competition.

Big10 has more TV sets. They have no reason to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT