ADVERTISEMENT

Real QB Competition????

It’s Christmas so this is not meant to be negative.

really? You want the QB’s throws posted online. For what purpose, so the fans, the people that have zero qualifications can add comments and question the staff? That’s never going to happen at N or any other D1 school.
Scott runs this program, and his decisions are based of practices we aren’t able to see and opinions of the staff he hired. We support the staff/team, fans are not part of naming a starter, nor should we. #GBR
He talks about AM in a wheelchair still being the starter... isn’t that opening line enough to realize he’s being sarcastic?

Reactions: zrob
We all know that SF will start AM even if he’s stuck in a wheelchair. But in fairness to the other QBs on the roster, maybe we can petition Moos to ensure a fair QB competition this spring.

For the sake of transparency, every rep by every QB should be posted online. And each rep will be coupled with the real-time scores and evaluations from each coach. All this information can be tabulated and combined with online polls from huskeronline.com to assign and rank the QBs. The ranks will be updated continuously and the starter will be determined by who had the highest score 10 minutes before kickoff.

Thoughts?
My problem with your comment is you have already made up ur mind that Martinez isn’t worthy of job. To you only say fair competition is if he loses job. Ur not being fair

Maybe we should try a "TD or bust" rotation. Put in AM and if he leads the team to a TD, he plays the next series. Anything less than a TD, put in Luke and see if he leads the team to a TD...

It cannot fail.

We all know that SF will start AM even if he’s stuck in a wheelchair. But in fairness to the other QBs on the roster, maybe we can petition Moos to ensure a fair QB competition this spring.

For the sake of transparency, every rep by every QB should be posted online. And each rep will be coupled with the real-time scores and evaluations from each coach. All this information can be tabulated and combined with online polls from huskeronline.com to assign and rank the QBs. The ranks will be updated continuously and the starter will be determined by who had the highest score 10 minutes before kickoff.

Thoughts?
Are you sure the NCAA would allow him to play in a wheelchair?

Last edited:
Do we hear boo birds if AM's name is announced right before out first possession in 2020?

I feel like the staff wants to get the QB situation somewhat settled this Spring, and before Summer 7 on 7s.

Maybe the dumbest post yet. Do you really think Frost would sacrifice wins for any one QB. Let's talk after AM does win for US. Do you hate AM or Frost or both. They will all get their chance. Maybe you should request a special pass to observe all practices and then you can tell us all who should win the battle. Nice thing is we have viable options, right.
I don't think Frost or any coach is going to sacrifice wins intentionally. I do think coaches can become "blinded" when it comes to certain players. Which may make it hard to view things from an unbiased/ neutral perspective. As with anything in life when one is directly involved in a situation you have different perspectives than those not directly involved. That can be good and bad. Now Im not saying how Frost views Martinez or any of the other Qbs is helping or hurting NUs chances at winning. Saying, that Frost is going to play the best QB just because that is what we all want and expect, doesn't mean it will happen.

Sorry (my opinion only) but Vedrals playing time is about to be none existent. He’s about to drop down the depth chart in a hurry the next few years. Having Adrain Martinez, Luke McCaffrey, Logan Smothers and looking good and like we will land Peter Costelli (another Top 250 (ranked 155 nationally) 4 star Pro style/dual threat QB)...yeah Vedral isn’t going to be playing anytime soon.
Agree, he will be buried on the depth chart. However I will be shocked if we end up keeping all 3 (Martinez, Mccaffrey, Smothers for the next 2 years. ) We are bound to lose at least 1 to transfer.
Vedral is a talented kid and he would probably be starting for most teams in the BIG outside of Mich, Ohio St, Penn st, Nebraska, )I think he more transferred because he liked Frost and was able to be close to home, not necessarily thinking he would start.

Thoughts?

I agree they need a TRUE competition but there is not a coach in the America who is going to be that "transparent" or really gives a damn what the average fan thinks. I'm sure they feel they get paid millions of dollars to make those decisions and are the only ones who will do so. Let's be honest, Frost is far more qualified than anyone posting on here to make decisions like that whether we agree or not.

It would be awesome to have that kind of access though!!

Reactions: huskerssalts
and this comment is stupid, absolutely stupid. Logan Smothers, Luke McCaffrey and even Vedral are all his QBs he hand picked. If ones better then the others, he will play them. These comments of “Frost is ride or die with Martinez” has gotten retarded. Let’s just call it what it is, some of you guys have just thrown in the towel on Martinez...bottom line. You guys have lost your minds if you truly think Frost will stick with Martinez if he’s losing us games if he’s got a better QB on the side line.

Luke McCaffrey and Logan Smothers will make Martinez’s seat very hot...VERY hot. With any luck, this will push Adrain Martinez big time and maybe wake him up. And if not, we will end up seeing Luke McCaffrey run our offense (which definitely isn’t a bad thing, the young mans a straight up baller) with Martinez backing him up and Logan Smothers redshirting.

Sorry (my opinion only) but Vedrals playing time is about to be none existent. He’s about to drop down the depth chart in a hurry the next few years. Having Adrain Martinez, Luke McCaffrey, Logan Smothers and looking good and like we will land Peter Costelli (another Top 250 (ranked 155 nationally) 4 star Pro style/dual threat QB)...yeah Vedral isn’t going to be playing anytime soon.
I've seen it done at every level. Brett Favre was playing awful his 2nd year in Green Bay and the coaching staff voted to bench him. Holmgren went to him and said it's you and me I dont care what everyone else said. That obviously ended up working out but this absolutely happens and for you to think Frost is somehow above this is naive.

Thoughts?
I’d be beyond SHOCKED if AM isn’t starting

I've seen it done at every level. Brett Favre was playing awful his 2nd year in Green Bay and the coaching staff voted to bench him. Holmgren went to him and said it's you and me I dont care what everyone else said. That obviously ended up working out but this absolutely happens and for you to think Frost is somehow above this is naive.

but it won’t happen here. Sure, we all can cherry pick some teams that have done it. Frost will have 3 legit, very talented QBs come fall. You can’t tell me if Luke McCaffrey is right there in practice and looking equally as good or even better then Martinez that Frost is still going to refuse to play Luke just because he likes Adrain better or just wants to play Adrain to upset some fans? Won’t happen, he’s going to play who’s doing the best and gives us the best chances of winning.

Like a few have pointed out, there is no conspiracies going on. Frost has made clear the best guy will play. And I truly believe that. If he goes with Adrain Martinez and he keeps messing up, you better believe we will see Luke McCaffrey pretty soon. As of now, I’m giving Adrain Martinez the benefit of the doubt that he played bad this season due to being injured. He played great as a true freshman and then has a bad sophomore year. He’s 1 out of 2 so far. Let’s see how year 3 goes. Who knows, now the surgery is done, maybe Martinez will come out like his old self next season?!?! And if not, we will have a RS Freshman that’s a legit baller ready to take the reins in Luke McCaffrey.

Last edited:
Agree, he will be buried on the depth chart. However I will be shocked if we end up keeping all 3 (Martinez, Mccaffrey, Smothers for the next 2 years. ) We are bound to lose at least 1 to transfer.
Vedral is a talented kid and he would probably be starting for most teams in the BIG outside of Mich, Ohio St, Penn st, Nebraska, )I think he more transferred because he liked Frost and was able to be close to home, not necessarily thinking he would start.

Im not even worried or thinking about that noise. We will worry about that IF it happens. As of right now, we will have a loaded QB room for the first time in years...if not a decade. But just to indulge your thought...the only way I see one leaving is if

1). McCaffrey beats out Martinez this next season and Adrain transfers out...

2) Luke McCaffrey beats out Logan Smothers after Martinez finishes his senior year and Logan Smothers doesn’t want to wait his turn...

Now if Logan Smothers beats out McCaffrey, we could see Luke move to WR...so that’s a possibility. But Luke only makes that move over is if Logan Smothers wins the QB battle when their time comes. I don’t see Luke McCaffrey ever leaving. The McCaffreys seem to be one of those families that don’t run and stick out and keep fighting. I think Luke would gladly move to WR if Smothers beats him out down the road.

then again...we could see Vedral transfer out once he starts dropping down the depth chart (this WILL happen as McCaffrey and Smothers grow in the system). That one could most definitely happen. He’s a Nebraska boy and I hope nothing but the best for him but let’s be honest here...he doesn’t have the skill sets Martinez has, McCaffrey has, or Smothers has. He’s a got decent to great speed but he doesn’t have the arm or ceiling the other 3 QBs have.

Last edited:
fixed it for you to reflect more accurately
he sucked his first year too.. dude couldn't win a game if he had to. still can't do that. but I understand, you homers want to root for him to become what you think he could be.. it's a nice fantasy for the off season I guess.

Reactions: TheNewNU
he sucked his first year too.. dude couldn't win a game if he had to. still can't do that. but I understand, you homers want to root for him to become what you think he could be.. it's a nice fantasy for the off season I guess.

hey, you’re due to your opinion. But does that make the football experts like Urban Meyer and guys like that, that where absolutely raving about Martinez and his potential and being a dark horse Heisman candidate after his freshman year? Are those guys homers too? And why are we homers for not giving up on Adrian? Just be real about it. Dude had a promising, good true freshman year and then bombed it his sophomore year. And stop the stupid homer crap. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt with being hurt this year. But if you pay attention to any of my posts, I’m all for Luke McCaffrey taking over and rolling. At the same time, I won’t be short sighted like you and throw in the towel on Martinez yet either.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
hey, you’re due to your opinion. But does that make the football experts like Urban Meyer and guys like that, that where absolutely raving about Martinez and his potential and being a dark horse Heisman candidate after his freshman year? Are those guys homers too? And why are we homers for not giving up on Adrian? Just be real about it. Dude had a promising, good true freshman year and then bombed it his sophomore year. And stop the stupid homer crap. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt with being hurt this year. But if you pay attention to any of my posts, I’m all for Luke McCaffrey taking over and rolling. At the same time, I won’t be short sighted like you and thrown in the towel on Martinez either.
Thanks for letting me have my opinion. I don't recall going out of my way to target you for yours, but then I don't normally pay attention to your posts either.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Thanks for letting me have my opinion. I don't recall going out of my way to target you for yours, but then I don't normally pay attention to your posts either.

i appreciate that, your views and opinions isn’t something I tend to pay attention to either. When you got views like that? Yeah...no thanks. But when I see something that simple minded right after I made a post...it caught my eye. You could at least give credit where it’s due.

Reactions: Yossarian23
It’s Christmas so this is not meant to be negative.

really? You want the QB’s throws posted online. For what purpose, so the fans, the people that have zero qualifications can add comments and question the staff? That’s never going to happen at N or any other D1 school.
Scott runs this program, and his decisions are based of practices we aren’t able to see and opinions of the staff he hired. We support the staff/team, fans are not part of naming a starter, nor should we. #GBR

Many don't get his humor.

Ar ar!!

191488a68e4736272fb193658d0f7a05.jpg

Reactions: timnsun
Depth chart for quarterbacks using the logical approach.

1) Tommie Smothers - he can really fling that pic skin. Could go all Heisman on us.
2) Matt Masker - ginormous spring game and he's never been stopped.
3) Andrew Bunch - can pass and run a little. May have already peaked.
4) McCaffrey - Was never given a fair chance. Too late now. He's washed up.
5) Vedral - Injury prone. HELLO: there's never been a good QB come out of Nebraska.
6) Martinez - Stonk in high school. Stonk 2 year at Nebraska. Can anybody say Injured AND Stonks? Push him into the transfer port hole.

I wish the best for all my guys! And look forward to the 2020 season! GBR

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT