ADVERTISEMENT

RBs

gunNrun

Junior
Dec 16, 2007
Lincoln, Nebraska
Not sure I agree with everyone about Wilbon and Newby...
I liked Cross big time.
Yes, his first (and only?) first half carry did not go well.
But it was after the punter was carted off,
that Cross busted a 15 yard run to spark the comeback,
only to be rewarded by letting Newby on the field.

I think we can all agree that the RBs were not given enough opportunities.
But a lot of you keep saying Wilbon.... he does have a good future ahead of him, I like him getting meaningful game experience, but I don't see the need at starting him and wearing the young man out too soon.

I would like the idea of a Newby/Cross backfield, exchanging players every 1st down. Throw in Wilbon when substitution is needed before a 1st down.

T Armstrong started the game throwing beautifully. But when he started struggling near the end of the 1st quarter, the running game already needed to be going. There was barely a threat of the running game in the 1st half. The running game sparked the comeback in the 2nd Half.
I loved the 1st series of the game.
But you got to get your horses warmed up a little sooner.

Oh and props to BYU, who played a great game.

Reactions: baseball31ne
If our o-line can't block, wilbon is clearly the best option as I think he's the only one that can make people miss. TA has a live arm, but too many times it seems he is throwing into good coverage.

Everyone gets arm tackled way to easy Wilbon at least makes someone miss and has good instincts and speed. He has more of a natural RB than Newby or Cross at this point I would lean on him and Newby and hopefully Newby improves.

Newby needs to hit the hole alot faster and gets tripped up pretty easy. Unfortunately our blocking has not been stellar so these guys need to make guys miss.

Cross is big but does not use his weight he should be lowering his pad levels and blowing people up not getting arm tackled at the ankles at the first contact. He really needs to run with power and authority and could do this as it is all mental. He is way to slow to make people miss so he better run them over. Really needs to not run upright and power through people.

I didn't watch the blocking but I imagine Newby is our best blocker, Cross is again big but didn't block great last year. I have no idea if Wilbon can block but if he can he is the full package. If he can't then let him run 60/40 with Newby/Cross and on passing plays put in our best blocker.

Not sure I agree with everyone about Wilbon and Newby...
I liked Cross big time.
Yes, his first (and only?) first half carry did not go well.
But it was after the punter was carted off,
that Cross busted a 15 yard run to spark the comeback,
only to be rewarded by letting Newby on the field.

I think we can all agree that the RBs were not given enough opportunities.
But a lot of you keep saying Wilbon.... he does have a good future ahead of him, I like him getting meaningful game experience, but I don't see the need at starting him and wearing the young man out too soon.

I would like the idea of a Newby/Cross backfield, exchanging players every 1st down. Throw in Wilbon when substitution is needed before a 1st down.

T Armstrong started the game throwing beautifully. But when he started struggling near the end of the 1st quarter, the running game already needed to be going. There was barely a threat of the running game in the 1st half. The running game sparked the comeback in the 2nd Half.
I loved the 1st series of the game.
But you got to get your horses warmed up a little sooner.

Oh and props to BYU, who played a great game.
#Cross is still too slow. all our RBs all looked about this same. I didn't see one stand out more than the rest. I attribute that to our Oline play, which sucked.

Cross looked good in our power sets. He found holes and ran with purpose. Wilbon looked very good the entire game. Very agile, reminds me alot of Cory Ross. I have no clue what you all are talking about but both of them NEED to play!

I wish we would have seen Taylor as well. Cross is awful. Just soooo slow it is hard to watch. With this Oline, Cross isn't the answer. Start Wilbon and give us a dose of Ozigbo and Taylor to see how they are.

Reactions: otismotis08
I agree if armstrongs passing starts to peter out, we need to run, Im good with any of the 3 backs, they all seem to have their strengths. I'd like to see the full back get a run too, seem like it's been 125 years since the fullback has ran on a play

I wish we would have seen Taylor as well. Cross is awful. Just soooo slow it is hard to watch. With this Oline, Cross isn't the answer. Start Wilbon and give us a dose of Ozigbo and Taylor to see how they are.

I love this. Classic clueless Husker fan. Name guys that haven't even played. You aren't on the coaching staff so you really have no idea if Taylor is even worth snaps right now. Don't you think they'd play him if he was actually good? Or are you saying Riley doesn't know what he's doing? Taylor didn't play for a team that doesn't have an identity at running back. That tells me he didn't play on purpose, which means he isn't good. Now that doesn't mean he can't improve and earn snaps in practice, but division I coaches don't just throw guys in based on hudl film.

Wilbon did look good, and it's evident Cross is not near as bad as some on this board want him to be. He gets the job done when he's in.

Reactions: BigPounder
When you're as big and bad as Imani Cross, you don't willingly run out of bounds. You turn it upfield and stick the defender. He didn't.

When you're as big and bad as Imani Cross, you don't willingly run out of bounds. You turn it upfield and stick the defender. He didn't.
I distinctly remember 2 of his runs where he lowered his head after a good gain and laid a blow to the defender.

Reactions: BigPounder
Well if Cross is benched from here on out that means the coaches agree with you. I can't picture that play right now but I'd agree with you too on that single play. I trust the coaches on who should be playing and who shouldn't. Face it, they see something in Cross, and nothing in Taylor.

Wilbon is a naturally gifted runner and athlete. He's going to be a great one.

Not a matter of if but when. I could see the coaches continuing the rb by committee this week... but I see the starting job going to Wilbon in short order.

Reactions: otismotis08
I love this. Classic clueless Husker fan. Name guys that haven't even played. You aren't on the coaching staff so you really have no idea if Taylor is even worth snaps right now. Don't you think they'd play him if he was actually good? Or are you saying Riley doesn't know what he's doing? Taylor didn't play for a team that doesn't have an identity at running back. That tells me he didn't play on purpose, which means he isn't good. Now that doesn't mean he can't improve and earn snaps in practice, but division I coaches don't just throw guys in based on hudl film.

Wilbon did look good, and it's evident Cross is not near as bad as some on this board want him to be. He gets the job done when he's in.

Clueless Husker fan? Whatever buddy. You are clueless if you think Cross is good. 3 backs got playing time and 1 looked good. I'm merely stating let's see the other two because right now our run game blows. But preach on brother!!!!

Clueless Husker fan? Whatever buddy. You are clueless if you think Cross is good. 3 backs got playing time and 1 looked good. I'm merely stating let's see the other two because right now our run game blows. But preach on brother!!!!

As another poster said, unless our OL steps it up a bunch it won`t matter who the RB is.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
As another poster said, unless our OL steps it up a bunch it won`t matter who the RB is.
this

the OL was simply horrendous and soft ... we have some young guys who maybe should see some playing time for experience purposes
I just don't think the current upperclassmen are very talented and I'm afraid no amount of coaching is going to fix this ... they are going to be physically outmatched in many games this year

extremely difficult to scheme around a bad offensive line.... but I'm sure the pundits will continue to complain about abandoning the run

we need to get to 6 wins to get the bowl game practices .... the overall talent level in this program is alarmingly shallow

Last edited:

I don't disagree RRT. Line is the biggest part, but at least Wilbon looked decent. I want to see the other 2. If we are going to have less than average line at, let's try all the backs. Right now Wilbon should start in my eyes.

I don't disagree RRT. Line is the biggest part, but at least Wilbon looked decent. I want to see the other 2. If we are going to have less than average line at, let's try all the backs. Right now Wilbon should start in my eyes.

That is what I said about Wilbon up above in this thread. Unless guys get hurt I would like to see Ozigbo redshirt.

Not sure if you guys like facts (stats), but here is the yards per run:
Wilbon 2.3
Newby 4.3
Cross 4.9
It appears Wilbon was not really that good and Cross was not really that bad.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Wilbon should be the starting RB. He's the only RB who looks like an every down RB. He has better quickness, vision, and runs harder than the other two. Cross runs pretty soft for a power back. Newby goes down on the slightest bit of contact and has no vision. Taylor is pretty much the same as Cross.

Wilbon should be the starting RB. He's the only RB who looks like an every down RB. He has better quickness, vision, and runs harder than the other two. Cross runs pretty soft for a power back. Newby goes down on the slightest bit of contact and has no vision. Taylor is pretty much the same as Cross.

We haven't seen Taylor in game action yet, so hard to make that assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT