ADVERTISEMENT

RB room

Saw the same thing. So what the hell happened? Covid? Limited grasp of playbook? Injury? Shitty pass pro?

I thought I saw a rumor somewhere that said he skipped a practice or was late along with another player. I might be wrong, my brain is not what it use to be. It could easily be one of the culprits that you have suggested. I don't think we will ever know.

Or you could actually discuss the thread topic, you know, about RBs.

You aren't discussing anything. You are stroking each other off while bitching about anything and everything.

Most fans realize the crappy situation we are in and blame Frost. But most fans can try and see something positive and use that for some hope that things will change. Even if it is only the smallest sliver of hope.
I WAS talking about running backs.. you got upset and said I was being too negative, but I was talking about them.. wtf is wrong with you? it's like some sort of circle jerk with you people.

I WAS talking about running backs.. you got upset and said I was being too negative, but I was talking about them.. wtf is wrong with you? it's like some sort of circle jerk with you people.
Dude, you two were talking about the team voting on the bowl game. And not how the RBs voted either.

I get it, there is a lot to bag on. But at least stick to the topic.

Dude, you two were talking about the team voting on the bowl game. And not how the RBs voted either.

I get it, there is a lot to bag on. But at least stick to the topic.
I was talking about RB in post 10 until someone complained about it being too negative, so I responded to that. Who are you the topic police?

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I thought I saw a rumor somewhere that said he skipped a practice or was late along with another player. I might be wrong, my brain is not what it use to be. It could easily be one of the culprits that you have suggested. I don't think we will ever know.
I thought Thompkins had a concussion that kept him out a couple of games?

Reactions: Reditus
I keep having to remind myself how young they've been at RB. Time was we didn't see guys who were underclassmen getting real reps unless they were future NFL draft picks after their junior year or it was already 63-10 in the 4th quarter.

NU has been relying on true freshman and redshirt freshman for vital depth at those spots and odds are these kids ain't LP or Ahman, or even Ameer. The lack of splash at that position worries me a lot, you kinda either got it or you don't as a runner. Even Ozigbo showed flashes right away that made you go, "Oh they need to get this kid the ball more in power running situations."

We need Stepp to be the real deal, we've got zero returning RBs who have shown me enough in games to feel excited about. They have GOT TO run the ball more often and more effectively from the RB position next year. You cannot have the size and caliber of kids they're going to have on the OL and continue to say, "They don't block effectively in the run game, we gotta throw."

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I probably shouldn't of repeated the other rumor.
I don't know for sure if that is the case. Your rumor could be true. They're just out of high school and kids make mistakes. My source with close ties in the training room retired a while back. I know I heard one of the coaches or Davison mention late in the season that one of the RBs was in the concussion protocol and I think it was Thompkins. We had one game where Wandale played a bunch of RB because the I think Scott was the only available healthy RB other than walk ons.

I bitched during Pelini's tenure about him not disclosing injuries when players were getting lambasted by message boards and other social media for not playing well. I knew some of the injuries from friends in Lincoln. I understand the gamesmanship that goes on with that but man when a guy is limping around on the field his opponents know it. I'm sure some of it was not wanting to give an opponent a chance to game plan for a guy's crucial player's injury but man after the game they should give a report on injuries if a guy doesn't perform well. IMO, it's only fair to the player in this social media age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I keep having to remind myself how young they've been at RB. Time was we didn't see guys who were underclassmen getting real reps unless they were future NFL draft picks after their junior year or it was already 63-10 in the 4th quarter.

NU has been relying on true freshman and redshirt freshman for vital depth at those spots and odds are these kids ain't LP or Ahman, or even Ameer. The lack of splash at that position worries me a lot, you kinda either got it or you don't as a runner. Even Ozigbo showed flashes right away that made you go, "Oh they need to get this kid the ball more in power running situations."

We need Stepp to be the real deal, we've got zero returning RBs who have shown me enough in games to feel excited about. They have GOT TO run the ball more often and more effectively from the RB position next year. You cannot have the size and caliber of kids they're going to have on the OL and continue to say, "They don't block effectively in the run game, we gotta throw."
I liked what I saw from Scott in his very limited action. I think he can be a good player for us with a more normal spring, summer and fall camps under his belt. He doesn't have to be a track athlete to be very effective in the run game. Strong runner I thought with enough wiggle to be very effective.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I liked what I saw from Scott in his very limited action. I think he can be a good player for us with a more normal spring, summer and fall camps under his belt. He doesn't have to be a track athlete to be very effective in the run game. Strong runner I thought with enough wiggle to be very effective.
He looked physically tough and mentally overwhelmed. Seemed like he would just start going into bowling ball mode immediately like he wasn't really seeing the field. He was just going in a straight line at times and assuming he needed to be running through tackles.

Which can happen, RBs can get in their heads. Fournette in Jacksonville is a good example. Had some bad years and now he's playing much better and more true to his style. But some dudes just have it from the moment you put the ball in their hands.

Think back to when Tre Bryant first got there, he got some space and you went, "Oooh, this kid just feels it out there." He always seemed to make the right cut. Now that I think about it, his knee issues were the beginning of the fall for the RB position at NU.

Ozigbo masked it with an excellent season but losing Greg Bell and Bryant having his knees go ripped the quality depth out of that room. It hasn't yet recovered.

What about Gabe Irvin’s film looks nice?
It's kind of tough for fans to make an educated comment on game video of prospects. One national analyst from his area who had watched him play in person I believe was interviewed on a radio show. I don't remember which analyst it was but suffice it to say that he was more qualified to comment on Gabe's ability than anybody posting on here. He thought he was a very under rated back who could do anything we needed and was physically mature enough to come in and play right away. I've watched a couple of highlights but I can't remember anything that stood out in particular.

IMO, we've recruited a couple of really good backs these past 2 classes but damn we've been unlucky with not having any workouts last spring and over the summer for those young guys. Then we've had too many injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
He looked physically tough and mentally overwhelmed. Seemed like he would just start going into bowling ball mode immediately like he wasn't really seeing the field. He was just going in a straight line at times and assuming he needed to be running through tackles.

Which can happen, RBs can get in their heads. Fournette in Jacksonville is a good example. Had some bad years and now he's playing much better and more true to his style. But some dudes just have it from the moment you put the ball in their hands.

Think back to when Tre Bryant first got there, he got some space and you went, "Oooh, this kid just feels it out there." He always seemed to make the right cut. Now that I think about it, his knee issues were the beginning of the fall for the RB position at NU.

Ozigbo masked it with an excellent season but losing Greg Bell and Bryant having his knees go ripped the quality depth out of that room. It hasn't yet recovered.
The only reason we landed Bryant was his knees. Great talent. He would have probably been an NFL back if not for the knees. Dang. I always wonder what happens to those kids after they leave the program. I asked for a couple of years about that Callahan O lineman who had to quit football and I saw he finally died about a year ago from his kidney disease. As fans, we treat some of these guys like pieces of meat. 99.99% of these kids don't deserve the criticism they get from us.

Riley's stretch run scheme showcased Bryant's ability to make a read, cut and get up field.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815
Watch Gabe Ervin’s film vs. Valdosta. First Clip. 1st and 10, gets 7 yards, gets up and signals first down. I just thought it was kinda funny.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBeav815
Link is to a UGA rivals site on Ervin
https://uga.rivals.com/news/gabe-ervin-commit-what-does-it-mean-for-nebraska- I read it before I watched one of his highlight videos. Sample below.
4. Even though Ervin runs with nice power between the tackles he is far from a 3-yards and a cloud of dust type of running back. He has terrific vision and an exception jump cut and dead leg moves that make him an elusive runner as well.

It's kind of tough for fans to make an educated comment on game video of prospects. One national analyst from his area who had watched him play in person I believe was interviewed on a radio show. I don't remember which guy analyst it was but suffice it to say that he was more qualified to comment on Gabe's ability than anybody posting on here. He thought he was a very under rated back who could do anything we needed and was physically mature enough to come in and play right away. I've watched a couple of highlights but I can't remember anything that stood out in particular.

IMO, we've recruited a couple of really good back these past 2 classes but damn we've been unlucky with not having any workouts last spring and over the summer for those young guys. Then we've had too many injuries.
Ervins a tackle breaker with a little speed for a bigger back, can make ou miss, and fights for that extra yard.
I agree, under rated, and for his size, likely a top ten get, meaning though he may have rated say 30th overall, half above him are smaller, and hes up there as a bigger back amongst the best big backs.

RB is the easiest position to get on the field right away.

The only reason we landed Bryant was his knees. Great talent. He would have probably been an NFL back if not for the knees. Dang. I always wonder what happens to those kids after they leave the program. I asked for a couple of years about that Callahan O lineman who had to quit football and I saw he finally died about a year ago from his kidney disease. As fans, we treat some of these guys like pieces of meat. 99.99% of these kids don't deserve the criticism they get from us.

Callahan's stretch run scheme showcased Bryant's ability to make a read, cut and get up field.
Callahan? Bryant arrived well after Callahan was here.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Callahan? Bryant arrived well after Callahan was here.
duh. Yeah you're right. I was thinking WCO and typed Callahan instead of Riley. I think I may finally have a BAC that is legal to drive with after last night.o_O

His film looks very nice. Reminds me a lot of Thompkins, but hopefully without the injury issues.
video is great but man I want to see them do it against a P5 level of talent before I say much. I've read and heard good things about this kid. I hope he helps us and soon.

Reactions: oldjar07
Stepp - brought in cause all our backs were young and they wanted an upperclassman. Also brought in because they wanted a big back that can run through the tackles.

Morrison - most likely to pop this spring and take the starting role rotation with Stepp.

Scott - most likely will be a backup.

Johnson - I don’t know why they don’t move him to WR with his speed. Maybe he doesn’t have good hands? I know they had him working on route running and catching last year so maybe they are priming him for that.

Ervin - I am interested to see what he looks like and if he can pick things up quick.

Thompkins - I just don’t see how he beats out some of those other guys with his knees the way they are. I also don’t see him transferring since his girlfriend is in Lincoln and is pregnant.

We are three years into the Frost regime and we keep hearing/saying the same thing - we are really young there. That seems to be a common thread on the O side of the ball.

Riley's stretch run scheme showcased Bryant's ability to make a read, cut and get up field.
I believe Bryant has the record for most yards in his first start with 200+ against Ark state. Was having a good game against Oregon when he got hurt in third quarter. Was leading the country in rushing yards at the time... but never played another down :(

If our coaches can’t get something going with the RB room they got, then something is wrong with recruiting and more so development.
I’m not saying that to be pessimistic, rather matter of fact.
Give some other coaches the same stable and I’m pretty sure they could cook something up.

Three 4* guys, some nice looking 3* and serviceable walk-ons... all recruited by this staff.
Excuses are running dry. Time to produce.

I actually kind of thought Johnson looked alright in his limited action
He has good burst and scored a TD against Iowa maybe? Or got it right down to the 1 yard line. I think he is kind of the dark horse to be the starter, which probably wouldn't be a great sign for the position.

If our coaches can’t get something going with the RB room they got, then something is wrong with recruiting and more so development.
I’m not saying that to be pessimistic, rather matter of fact.
Give some other coaches the same stable and I’m pretty sure they could cook something up.

Three 4* guys, some nice looking 3* and serviceable walk-ons... all recruited by this staff.
Excuses are running dry. Time to produce.
I see it more like, time is becoming right, and not running out.
Frosh rbs still arent plug n play, very few are.
We have options this year, with seasoning

Markese Stepp - 5.8 4* out of HS, has some nice play at the P5 level, would think he'll get the waiver to play this fall
Rahmir Johnson - 5.8 4*, not a bell cow type of back
Sevion Morrison - 5.8 4*, injuries in 2020
Ronald Thompkins - 5.7 3*, serious knees injuries in HS, ??? in 2020
Gabe Ervin - 5.7 3*, film looks nice
Marvin Scott - 5.6 3*, showed a little in 2020
I would hope that NU can get a decent starter and backup (or two-man platoon), with a third also getting some reps here and there.
If I had to guess, I'd say Stepp, Scott and Morrison will be 1, 2 and 3.
None of them proven. Scott didn’t look like the answer as a Frosh. Granted he was a Frosh. I’ll buy into the Stepp hype train once he plays a game...and plays well. Translation...RB room a room full of possible potential but great unknown. If I had to bet...I’d bet a healthy Morrison is in front of Scott at some point. As I mentioned...Scott didn’t stand out to me at all with his limited carries in 2020.

Reactions: Reditus
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT