ADVERTISEMENT

RB room

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Markese Stepp - 5.8 4* out of HS, has some nice play at the P5 level, would think he'll get the waiver to play this fall
Rahmir Johnson - 5.8 4*, not a bell cow type of back
Sevion Morrison - 5.8 4*, injuries in 2020
Ronald Thompkins - 5.7 3*, serious knees injuries in HS, ??? in 2020
Gabe Ervin - 5.7 3*, film looks nice
Marvin Scott - 5.6 3*, showed a little in 2020
I would hope that NU can get a decent starter and backup (or two-man platoon), with a third also getting some reps here and there.
If I had to guess, I'd say Stepp, Scott and Morrison will be 1, 2 and 3.

Markese Stepp - 5.8 4* out of HS, has some nice play at the P5 level, would think he'll get the waiver to play this fall
I would hope that NU can get a decent starter and backup (or two-man platoon), with a third also getting some reps here and there.
which ones transfer? am i wrong or all they all freshman and sophs considering covid gave them all an extra year?
once again another position with almost all the players in just 2 classes.
i'll go with Rahmir and Thompkins not being here in 2 yrs

We need Stepp be all he can be this season. We have some solid young kids that will contribute. Sevion is the only one I see right now that can be an elite back. Thompkins has some of that 'it' factor but can never stay healthy. Scott showed some solid tough runs last year.

Reactions: TheBeav815
which ones transfer? am i wrong or all they all freshman and sophs considering covid gave them all an extra year?
once again another position with almost all the players in just 2 classes.
i'll go with Rahmir and Thompkins not being here in 2 yrs
I think half the team will transfer at all positions.

That should cover it... you no longer have to talk about individual positions and how each position will have multiple transfers moving forward.

I think half the team will transfer at all positions.

That should cover it... you no longer have to talk about individual positions and how each position will have multiple transfers moving forward.
thanos-snap.jpg

I don’t know if Thompkins is ever going to be the back we envisioned when we signed him knowing he had some knee injury’s to over come...

Did John Bivens ever make it here? There was lots of discussion about him.

I seem to remember SF saying something to the effect about Johnson needed to practice better. That said, he looks more like a group of 5/FCS player to me.

If Stepp can develop into a 15 carry a game, hammer type, it would be huge. I've heard lots of positive things about Gabe Ervin, but I'm deathly afraid of red kool-aid.

Reactions: RothMatt
Did John Bivens ever make it here? There was lots of discussion about him.

I seem to remember SF saying something to the effect about Johnson needed to practice better. That said, he looks more like a group of 5/FCS player to me.

If Stepp can develop into a 15 carry a game, hammer type, it would be huge. I've heard lots of positive things about Gabe Ervin, but I'm deathly afraid of red kool-aid.
I think Bivens came ... and went already.

I was looking forward to seeing him.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7

I think there is at least two that can play in that group and at least one guys of Mills caliber (above big ten average)

I expect this team to be able to run the ball effectively with the line they have assembled and the threat we have at QB in that department and would be very surprised if this offense isn't better than the 2018 unit that was number two in big ten YPG.

Definitely the most talent Frost has had since UCF.

I would like to see Frost cut down a bit on the read option plays and if possible incorporate more RPO's where the defense doesn't get the chance to dictate that the QB keeps the ball all the time. Is that possible?

Also Mills average 4.8 ypc while Thompkins averaged 4.7. Now Thompkins only carried it 5 times so it's hard telling how much this stat really means, but I thought he passed the eyeball test on those few carries. I think he can be a productive guy.

Last edited:
Rahmir is the odd one for me. Seems like they wanted him to be the next man up after Mills and for whatever reason this year he was just non-existent for the most part.
Rhamir was the only healthy backup we had when he started playing as a freshman. It was him or Belt as our options that year when Mills got dinged up. Then this past year it was just a matter of who was healthy or not in COVID protocols. Rhamir is a talented kid but the game seemed too fast for him that freshman year and he needs to get bigger.

I want to see more of Thompkins. I thought he looked decent in the few carries he got. Not sure where he went, doghouse or injury?

Want to see what Stepp, Morrison and Ervin bring to the table too.

Looking forward to seeing these guys in the spring game.
One national recruiting analyst thought Ervin was the sleeper of this class who could come in and help us right away.

I hope Samori Toure likes running between the tackles...
He won't line up as a RB to run between the tackles. If he ends up lined up there, they won't be handing the ball off to him. You do realize that Wandale played RB in high school right? I've heard knowledgeable commentators say that Wandale had he best RB instincts and skills of anybody on our team last year. Sucks that he was so small. I don't think he'll make it to the NFL as a WR either. He needs to learn to catch and return punts and try to make it as a 5th WR and punt returner if anything.

Reactions: bshirt73
it would have been the last time something positive happened.. prob after the last win, but right before the coach's press conference about not wanting to play a bowl game.
It was the players decision to not play in a bowl game though. I mean they couldn’t have been influenced at all about that press conference....

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
It was the players decision to not play in a bowl game though. I mean they couldn’t have been influenced at all about that press conference....
indeed.. that shows the character of this coach, to let his players take the blame for not wanting to play.. what a douche.

indeed.. that shows the character of this coach, to let his players take the blame for not wanting to play.. what a douche.
Yep. Then certain posters blame the kids for transferring and getting out. But don’t look at the guy steering the ship because he won 13 games as qb in 97. But only 12 as coach from 18-20.

Yep. Then certain posters blame the kids for transferring and getting out. But don’t look at the guy steering the ship because he won 13 games as qb in 97. But only 12 as coach from 18-20.
be careful.. you're being too negative man.. only safe spaces for husker message boards allowed.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Do you two need to get a room? You can cuddle and discuss how bad Nebraska is at football.
I know man.. I thought we could discuss this kind of thing on the Husker Message Board! what gives?

I know man.. I thought we could discuss this kind of thing on the Husker Message Board! what gives?
Or you could actually discuss the thread topic, you know, about RBs.

You aren't discussing anything. You are stroking each other off while bitching about anything and everything.

Most fans realize the crappy situation we are in and blame Frost. But most fans can try and see something positive and use that for some hope that things will change. Even if it is only the smallest sliver of hope.

I like having a big bruiser RB in Stepp, but we also need one of the quicker guys to emerge for the passing game/speed back elements.

I’m a fan of the thunder/lightning approach at RB. Sevion Morrison will be the guy I’m watching for. The other backs seem ok, but no one has flashed for me. Hoping Sevion can be that guy.

For some reason Morrison reminds me of Royce Freeman. Not sure if that's a good comp or not.

Reactions: 9and4
Morrison is listed at 6 foot 210lbs on our roster. I am going to guess he's probably 5-11+ and around 200lbs.

He's got a really high ceiling. Here are his hudl numbers.
40 YARD DASH 4.52
VERTICAL 38"
BENCH 265
185LB BENCH PRESS (REPS) 13
100 METER DASH 10.5
400 METER DASH 51
SQUAT (LBS) 325
DEADLIFT (LBS) 375

I like having a big bruiser RB in Stepp, but we also need one of the quicker guys to emerge for the passing game/speed back elements.

I’m a fan of the thunder/lightning approach at RB. Sevion Morrison will be the guy I’m watching for. The other backs seem ok, but no one has flashed for me. Hoping Sevion can be that guy.
I like the guy from USC. He seems like a nice kid. I’m excited for him. But I do hope we have a LeGarrette Blount type who is a little crazy and willing to fight a whole team. Just to bring that energy to the team we need.

I would like to see Frost cut down a bit on the read option plays and if possible incorporate more RPO's where the defense doesn't get the chance to dictate that the QB keeps the ball all the time. Is that possible?

Also Mills average 4.8 ypc while Thompkins averaged 4.7. Now Thompkins only carried it 5 times so it's hard telling how much this stat really means, but I thought he passed the eyeball test on those few carries. I think he can be a productive guy.
Saw the same thing. So what the hell happened? Covid? Limited grasp of playbook? Injury? Shitty pass pro?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT