ADVERTISEMENT

RB Room

Yes I do. ISU under Campbell has had consistently good O line and QB play. I didnt' say a great QB. I said a GOOD QB. The threat of a guy who can complete a pass outside of 5 yards opens things up for a RB. All day. Every day.
Wow! So they had a good QB, a good O line, and that is why Montgomery was good. Gotcha. In that case, they must have had quite a team! Wait, no. They were 3-9.

Held has a lot to prove imo. I wouldn't fire him however because our whole offense was garbage. I don't know how anyone could say one of our backs are studs because they have barely had any attempts. I'm not a fan so far. And I question the playcalling or development when Robinson is taking carries away from the room. I have no information on injuries or covid, but based on what I have seen. The rb room is a mess.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Wow! So they had a good QB, a good O line, and that is why Montgomery was good. Gotcha. In that case, they must have had quite a team! Wait, no. They were 3-9.
No. It allowed Montgomery to show what he was capable of at the college level. IMO, our O line and QB play have hurt the opportunities for our RBs to succeed. You can be 3-9 and still have an effective O line and QB play. YOU are the one who said that Montgomery made an "immediate impact". I guess if they were 3-9 his impact must not have been all that positive right?

• Haha
Reactions: artguy68
Held has a lot to prove imo. I wouldn't fire him however because our whole offense was garbage. I don't know how anyone could say one of our backs are studs because they have barely had any attempts. I'm not a fan so far. And I question the playcalling or development when Robinson is taking carries away from the room. I have no information on injuries or covid, but based on what I have seen. The rb room is a mess.
The RB was one senior who has been out with a fairly major injury for a RB for a good chunk of the season. Beyond that, the young backs IMO have looked good. The RBs weren't why we lost games. Our QB play and penalties FAR beyond anything accounted for our losses. Held is not the issue. The talk about him is just ignorance.

The RB was one senior who has been out with a fairly major injury for a RB for a good chunk of the season. Beyond that, the young backs IMO have looked good. The RBs weren't why we lost games. Our QB play and penalties FAR beyond anything accounted for our losses. Held is not the issue. The talk about him is just ignorance.

I think think everything has to be evaluated. I'm not sure how anything can be evaluated as good in regards to the offense. Who is the worst, I guess?

I think think everything has to be evaluated. I'm not sure how anything can be evaluated as good in regards to the offense. Who is the worst, I guess?
we were talking specifically about the RB talent. RBs depend on having an O line that can open a hole and a QB who can complete a forward pass to keep the back 7 of the defense honest. When I evaluate a RB, I watch individual plays to see if they make the right reads of blocks, if they can break tackles, if they can make people miss, and how quick they are. Yards per carry is normally a reflection mostly of how fast you are and how good your O line is.

People writing off true freshman RBs who had very limited fall camp time to learn the offense, are not being smart.

Reactions: kakdawg and OzzyLvr
we were talking specifically about the RB talent. RBs depend on having an O line that can open a hole and a QB who can complete a forward pass to keep the back 7 of the defense honest. When I evaluate a RB, I watch individual plays to see if they make the right reads of blocks, if they can break tackles, if they can make people miss, and how quick they are. Yards per carry is normally a reflection mostly of how fast you are and how good your O line is.

People writing off true freshman RBs who had very limited fall camp time to learn the offense, are not being smart.

I guess you didn't read my post before you disagreed.

We’ll just have to see over the next few seasons. Of course if running backs simply don’t get the yards, the simple minds will blame ALL the running backs, sort of like the Detroit Lions have been doing over the past couple decades, what a great club to be in...C’mon people!

It’s simple, look at a guy like Master Teague. Hard runner, excels greatly with blocking...Do you think he would’ve done anything more than Mills in this offense??? Hell no!!!!

• Love
Reactions: kakdawg
It’s simple, look at a guy like Master Teague. Hard runner, excels greatly with blocking...Do you think he would’ve done anything more than Mills in this offense??? Hell no!!!!
We need a combination of Master Teague and Phil Bates.

I guess you didn't read my post before you disagreed.
I guess I took your comment "the rb room is a mess" to be an indictment of the talent and coaching. I don't think either is a problem in those regards. IF you meant it's a mess because of injuries then you're correct. Yes we're really young at RB but there's talent there. Most of that youth problem is because the guys who Frost and Held grabbed to try to plug the HUGE hole in our depth chart that first year both lost their minds (literally) and left.

Our interaction appears to have been kind of disjointed....Laughing

Last edited:
No. It allowed Montgomery to show what he was capable of at the college level. IMO, our O line and QB play have hurt the opportunities for our RBs to succeed. You can be 3-9 and still have an effective O line and QB play. YOU are the one who said that Montgomery made an "immediate impact". I guess if they were 3-9 his impact must not have been all that positive right?
Yes, I am sure I am the only one who thinks David Montgomery, who led his team in rushing each year he played, had a positive impact on Iowa State. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am sure I am the only one who thinks David Montgomery, who led his team in rushing each year he played, had a positive impact on Iowa State. :rolleyes:
You posted that they were 3-9 his freshman year. Obviously he was the best they had and they rode him. I would venture that he stayed relatively healthy and they didn't have anybody else of note. My original point in bringing him up was to point out that a guy unranked as a RB coming out of high school with a crappy offer list CAN in fact develop and become a very good back in college. All of the posts criticizing the abilities of our freshmen backs when we've barely seen them are ludicrous.

I can't escape the feeling that the only thing missing from our running back room is a head coach with the conviction and intelligence to actually use 1-2 of them effectively. When the game plan only includes a token run here or there, you're not gonna get a back who gets in a rhythm with his blockers. We'll never know if any of these kids are good until he decides that he is going to involve the rb's like he did in the second half at Rutgers.

A better offensive line would not hurt either

Neb ranked 13th in the BIG in combined rushing yards/game from their Fr-So RBs

Neb top underclassmen RB (Scott) ranked last in the BIG in total rushing yards, and yards per carry when compared to other teams top underclassman RB (it wasn't close)

9 BIG teams had multiple underclassmen RB with better rushing production than Neb top underclassman

Yards per game - underclassmen (Fr-So) RBs

PSU -- 110
OSU -- 99
Iowa - 95
Northw - 87
Wisc - 82
Ill -- 82
MSU - 46
Minn - 45
Ind - 38
Mich - 33
Mary - 29
Rutg - 28
Neb - 15
Purdue - 11

Neb has 11 Fr-So RBs on its roster- by far the most of any BIG school (7 is next closest)

Last edited:

Neb top underclassmen RB (Scott) ranked last in the BIG in total rushing yards, and yards per carry when compared to other teams top underclassman RB (it wasn't close)

9 BIG teams had multiple underclassmen RB with better rushing production than Neb top underclassman

PSU -- 110
OSU -- 99
Iowa - 95
Northw - 87
Wisc - 82
Ill -- 82
MSU - 46
Minn - 45
Ind - 38
Mich - 33
Mary - 29
Rutg - 28
Neb - 15
Purdue - 11
our underclassmen running backs received a combined 32 carries.

our underclassman quarterback, who on several occasions lined up at RB, received 65. he turned those into 364 yards (5.6/carry) and 3 TDs.

I'm sure a strict adherence to assigned position led you to completely ignore this development.

so much precious downtime spent (in a deadly pandemic, no less!) filtering, compiling and relaying such completely useless information.

Reactions: headcard
our underclassmen running backs received a combined 32 carries.

our underclassman quarterback, who on several occasions lined up at RB, received 65. he turned those into 364 yards (5.6/carry) and 3 TDs.

I'm sure a strict adherence to assigned position led you to completely ignore this development.

so much precious downtime spent (in a deadly pandemic, no less!) filtering, compiling and relaying such completely useless information.

they combined for 38 (Scott 24 - Johnson 8 - Thompkins 5 - Jewett 1)

thread title is "RB room" with discussion centered around the RB roster minus Mills - Luke isn't a RB - and very few of his carries were when he was lined up at RB

Neb ranked last in the BIG in yards per carry by underclassman RBs

Minn - 5.9
OSU - 5.6
Ill - 5.6
Iowa - 5.5
Northw - 5.2
PSU - 4.6
Ind - 4.5
Mich 4.4
Mary - 3.9
Purdue 3.8
Wisc - 3.7
Rutg - 3.6
MSU - 3.12
Neb 3.11

Last edited:
they combined for 38 (Scott 24 - Johnson 8 - Thompkins 5 - Jewett 1)

thread title is "RB room" with discussion centered around the RB roster minus Mills - Luke isn't a RB - and very few of his carries were when he was lined up at RB

Neb ranked last in the BIG in yards per carry by underclassman RBs

Minn - 5.9
OSU - 5.6
Ill - 5.6
Iowa - 5.5
Northw - 5.2
PSU - 4.6
Ind - 4.5
Mich 4.4
Mary - 3.9
Purdue 3.8
Wisc - 3.7
Rutg - 3.6
MSU - 3.12
Neb 3.11
with so few carries, his first as a RB (47 yards) would give that ypc a bump.

but, since you're not interested in accuracy, please carry on with this meaningless and willfully blind charade. your audience of one is enjoying it, I'm sure.

PSU -- 110
OSU -- 99
Iowa - 95
Northw - 87
Wisc - 82
Ill -- 82
MSU - 46
Minn - 45
Ind - 38
Mich - 33
Mary - 29
Rutg - 28
Neb - 15
Purdue - 11

Neb has 11 Fr-So RBs on its roster- by far the most of any BIG school (7 is next closest)

What a bizarre useless bit of trivia. Now which team is it you root for?

PSU -- 110
OSU -- 99
Iowa - 95
Northw - 87
Wisc - 82
Ill -- 82
MSU - 46
Minn - 45
Ind - 38
Mich - 33
Mary - 29
Rutg - 28
Neb - 15
Purdue - 11

Name your damn team or GTFO!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT