ADVERTISEMENT

RB Room

I have to say that I agree. Scott is the only youngster I saw much from. gbr
Injuries have been a real problem in our RB room. Then you add in that I think all of them have had COVID at some point this fall and you get what you got.

Injuries have been a real problem in our RB room. Then you add in that I think all of them have had COVID at some point this fall and you get what you got.
Don’t think they all had covid unless NU was breaking B1G protocol. Scott and Johnson did not miss games far enough apart to have been out for the full covid timeframe.

Reactions: bigredhunter
In 2020 the leading rusher was the QB

in both 2019 and 2020 the starting QB and a 170 lb WR had more combined carries than the entire 3 deep at RB

the RB room has been a disgrace the last 2 years - you can take your pick as to talent, development, scheme or all of thee above as to reasons why

The RB room has not been a “disgrace”. I really don’t even know how this view is possible when you watch the games and how they’re being called by Frost. It is 1000% scheme, bad reads by QB and personnel blunders. That is proven when you look at every personnel blunder across the board at different positions. Zavier Betts, Will Farniok, Myles Farmer, none of them played enough and everybody knew it, easily. We know we have talented players in the room, we’ve seen them make plays, they simply didn’t get the opportunities.

The RB room has not been a “disgrace”. I really don’t even know how this view is possible when you watch the games and how they’re being called by Frost. It is 1000% scheme, bad reads by QB and personnel blunders. That is proven when you look at every personnel blunder across the board at different positions. Zavier Betts, Will Farniok, Myles Farmer, none of them played enough and everybody knew it, easily. We know we have talented players in the room, we’ve seen them make plays, they simply didn’t get the opportunities.
Will Farniok??? Um, no.

Will Farniok??? Um, no.

Absolutely yes. Good snaps caused offense to run better, go figure. He also wasn’t single handedly responsible for turnovers at the center position. I’ve never seen a high school team with the snapping issues that we have. THAT’s the disgrace...

Absolutely yes. Good snaps caused offense to run better, go figure. He also wasn’t single handedly responsible for turnovers at the center position. I’ve never seen a high school team with the snapping issues that we have. THAT’s the disgrace...
Will is not good. I understand wanting to pull Jurgens after his bad snaps, but WF is not the answer.

How many snaps did he even get this year?
Not sure he got one. Hard to imagine a scenario where he would. If Jurgens and Matt Farniok were injured or got Rona or something, I am positive someone like Hixon, Bando or Wilson would have slid over to center.

Reactions: rmhixson
How many snaps did he even get this year?

Couldn’t have been more then 30. I know Frost yanked Jurgens immediately after a turnover on a horrible snap, only to stick him right back in in the second half, (Iowa?) pretty sure we lost that game...

Couldn’t have been more then 30. I know Frost yanked Jurgens immediately after a turnover on a horrible snap, only to stick him right back in in the second half, (Iowa?) pretty sure we lost that game...
30? Pretty sure it’s much closer to 0.
Matt Farniok played center when Cam was injured or replaced. Will Farniok is a non factor. Now if you are taking about Matt Farniok, it is a lot more than 30, as he played the entire NW game, when Jurgens was injured.

Reactions: ATX Husker
Not sure I understand why everyone is so in love with Marvin Scott. He averaged 2.6 yards per carry and his longest run went 8 yards. He looked slow to me. Rahmir Johnson looked better in my opinion. Hopefully Sevion Morrison or Gabe Ervin are ready to contribute next year.

30? Pretty sure it’s much closer to 0.
Matt Farniok played center when Cam was injured or replaced. Will Farniok is a non factor.

Maybe I was mixed up and assumed it was brother Will put in at center. Either way, my point of personnel blunders stands. Having Jurgens snap the ball in the shotgun every play is a complete travesty.

I’d love for the RB room haters to give me a position group outside of the D- line to be more optimistic about than RB. As another poster stated, most schools are not getting the amount of nice recruits at this position as we are, others are worried that we’re so stacked there that there will be transfers. We should be worried about virtually every other position before this one.

Maybe I was mixed up and assumed it was brother Will put in at center. Either way, my point of personnel blunders stands. Having Jurgens snap the ball in the shotgun every play is a complete travesty.

I’d love for the RB room haters to give me a position group outside of the D- line to be more optimistic about than RB. As another poster stated, most schools are not getting the amount of nice recruits at this position as we are, others are worried that we’re so stacked there that there will be transfers. We should be worried about virtually every other position before this one.
Any position with players back that were actually productive. TE, ILB, DL, possibly CB, will all have back players that played at a high level. RB does not.

Agreed. It used to be year 3 before we said a recruit was a bust. Now we have 3 freshmen and a sophomore at RB that people are ready to throw to the curb. Its weird.

most schools are not getting the amount of nice recruits at this position as we are, others are worried that we’re so stacked there that there will be transfers. We should be worried about virtually every other position before this one.

perhaps some fear the RB production will mirror the WR production -

Over the last 3 years Neb has signed more 4* WR than the entire big ten west combined

Reactions: bigredhunter
Agreed. It used to be year 3 before we said a recruit was a bust. Now we have 3 freshmen and a sophomore at RB that people are ready to throw to the curb. Its weird.
Who was the last good RB that had to wait 3 years to play? With OL and DL it takes time, but usually RB’s are ready to play early. Rex, Ameer, Ahman, Helu all played young.

Any position with players back that were actually productive. TE, ILB, DL, possibly CB, will all have back players that played at a high level. RB does not.

A couple question marks at the position is a fair point, but like I said, the guys we have, have proven enough to me already. We’ve got guys that play hard. We have 100 different issues to solve before “Reggie Bush” would even want to come and play here. RB talent is so far down on the list of question marks.

Who was the last good RB that had to wait 3 years to play? With OL and DL it takes time, but usually RB’s are ready to play early. Rex, Ameer, Ahman, Helu all played young.

Exactly. I look for signs and none of the guys we have shown any promise compared to the guys you mentioned. Even with limited snaps I knew all of those guys had potential to break through, and they did.

In 2020 the leading rusher was the QB

in both 2019 and 2020 the starting QB and a 170 lb WR had more combined carries than the entire 3 deep at RB

the RB room has been a disgrace the last 2 years - you can take your pick as to talent, development, scheme or all of thee above as to reasons why
I blame YOU jib jab dipstick

All of them were given opportunities early. None were as good in year 1 or 2 as they were in year 3 or 4. The guys we have now have been given token carries coming out of the clown car rotation we have. I dont know what anybody would expect to see out of a guy that plays 10 snaps and gets a couple of carries.

All of them were given opportunities early. None were as good in year 1 or 2 as they were in year 3 or 4. The guys we have now have been given token carries coming out of the clown car rotation we have. I dont know what anybody would expect to see out of a guy that plays 10 snaps and gets a couple of carries.
Mo Washington and Wandale were getting touches and making an impact as freshman.

Last edited:
Reactions: kakdawg
Ok. So thompkins, Johnson, and Scott should be chalked up as busts then.

Not necessarily. It’s just a spot I’m a little cornered with, since none of our current guys have produced to date. You usually get an idea pretty quick how good a RB is. For whatever reason, none of ours have shown much yet. I think it will be telling to see if they go after a transfer portal or JUCO RB. If they don’t, they must feel OK with what we have.

Not necessarily. It’s just a spot I’m a little cornered with, since none of our current guys have produced to date. You usually get an idea pretty quick how good a RB is. For whatever reason, none of ours have shown much yet. I think it will be telling to see if they go after a transfer portal or JUCO RB. If they don’t, they must feel OK with what we have.
They would be crazy to do so. I'll acknowledge that Johnson doesn't appear to be much at this point but he's the only guy in the room that has gotten much playing time. I'd give it a year before deciding we need to bring in a transfer. Thompkins and Scott both looked better than average for freshmen, Thompkins in particular. Morrison hasn't seen a snap yet. All 3 were studs coming in so they should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Mo Washington and Wandale were getting touches and making an impact as freshman.

Comparing any part of our offense to Frost’s first year or Ameer/Rex/Helu years to what we’re subjected to now is just a huge mistake. Even Wandale this year was nowhere near last year. We have so many issues and RBs have caused none of them. I feel bad for our RB room. I feel really bad for Mills. He could’ve had monster seasons at a lot of programs. (Georgia Tech)

Last edited:
Comparing any part of our offense to Frost’s first year or Ameer/Rex/Helu years to what we’re subjected to now is just a huge mistake. We have so many issues and RBs have caused none of them. I feel bad for our RB room. I feel really bad for Mills. He could’ve had monster seasons at a lot of programs. (Georgia Tech)
Get a grip. It’s the same offense and same coaches as Frost first year. And now we shouldn’t even compare backs to backs on 9-10 win teams? BTW. Mills wasn’t any better at GT than he was here. Step back from the ledge.

Get a grip. It’s the same offense and same coaches as Frost first year. And now we shouldn’t even compare backs to backs on 9-10 win teams? BTW. Mills wasn’t any better at GT than he was here. Step back from the ledge.

Lol right...the ledge...let’s not twist the fact that you’re the one nervous about our RB room.

Lol right...the ledge...let’s not twist the fact that you’re the one nervous about our RB room.
And you think it doesn’t matter because you are upset with other things? These guys would suddenly be great, if Frost called the right plays? Are you related to one of these guys or something? Having a workhorse back is important .

Don’t think they all had covid unless NU was breaking B1G protocol. Scott and Johnson did not miss games far enough apart to have been out for the full covid timeframe.
Frost said Morrison did. One of them had a concussion. They've all battled some nagging injuries from what I deciphered from writers and Frost's interviews. I've seen reports that multiple guys have had COVID which has affected their endurance.. I think the other one who had COVID during the season was Johnson but I'm not sure. Scott may have it in fall camp.

Not sure I understand why everyone is so in love with Marvin Scott. He averaged 2.6 yards per carry and his longest run went 8 yards. He looked slow to me. Rahmir Johnson looked better in my opinion. Hopefully Sevion Morrison or Gabe Ervin are ready to contribute next year.
Some of us who played the position and have watched him play can see some of the special things he brings to the table. The 2.6 yard average is not all on him. The guy runs hard and for a true freshman is a powerful kid. The first guy from what I've seen has trouble tackling him and they better wrap up. He also made a great catch on one play then made a guy miss before powering for a nice pickup on that play. We don't have a large sample on any of the freshman but I like what I've seen from Scott probably as much as any back we've had since Devine was a senior.

I am not seeing the strength of the RBs that others are seeing. All but Gabe and Sevion had ample opportunity to step up. None even came close to making a statement. At best they are serviceable, but none are difference-makers. Sevion was a 4-star with big high school stats, but he was not recruited by any school in Oklahoma, not even his home town of Tulsa. To me, it all rests on a highly recruited 3-star freshman in Gabe Ervin, which is not a position that a program like Nebraska should be in.

Reactions: headcard
I am not seeing the strength of the RBs that others are seeing. All but Gabe and Sevion had ample opportunity to step up. None even came close to making a statement. At best they are serviceable, but none are difference-makers. Sevion was a 4-star with big high school stats, but he was not recruited by any school in Oklahoma, not even his home town of Tulsa. To me, it all rests on a highly recruited 3-star freshman in Gabe Ervin, which is not a position that a program like Nebraska should be in.
If Ervin doesn't prove he's an all-american by October, i say we cut him.

The starting RB for the Bears who the Vikings could not tackle last week was a lightly recruited guy with offers from Buffalo, Ohio and Iowa State. I don't care what their star rank is. I really don't. You are selling Marvin Scott short. Devine didn't show what he could do really until late in his career. Mills struggled early as well. Johnson has shown flashes but the book on him is that he needs to mature and get stronger. Good heavens. RB is the LAST position I'm worried about. Get good snaps, good O line play, good QB play and your RBs will have holes to run through. The guys we have have PLENTY of talent.

The starting RB for the Bears who the Vikings could not tackle last week was a lightly recruited guy with offers from Buffalo, Ohio and Iowa State. I don't care what their star rank is. I really don't. You are selling Marvin Scott short. Devine didn't show what he could do really until late in his career. Mills struggled early as well. Johnson has shown flashes but the book on him is that he needs to mature and get stronger. Good heavens. RB is the LAST position I'm worried about. Get good snaps, good O line play, good QB play and your RBs will have holes to run through. The guys we have have PLENTY of talent.
Except when David Montgomery was given a chance to play his first year, he made a huge impact. Think it was because of ISU's offensive line play and great quarterback? Let the hype train chug on!

I don't know if Ameer was expected to break out like he did though. There were a couple other young RB's back then that the fans liked more.
Ameer, Heard and Green. Ameer was a lower rated recruit, so the fans clamored for the other guys, but it didn’t take long for Ameer to make an impact. Won us a game his Freshman year with a kick return, rushed for 1,100 yards his So year after Rex was injured.

Amen. I’m amazed any of our backs averaged over 2 YPC with our joke of a passing game. We were the easiest offense in the conference to defend, so easy we often defended ourselves! To judge any of these backs from this past season and even the year before is beyond ridiculous. These people seemingly paid no attention to the games if they think all these backs were given “ample opportunity”. And no, a bad zone read with a D end and D-tackle crushing you as you take the handoff is not an opportunity.

Last edited:
This will be an interesting position next year as it looks like Mills is moving on. I really like Held, but our RB position looks a bit sketchy right now. Hopefully a couple of these guys step up. At some point we need to land a bigger fish here.

Rahmir Johnson - I thought he did some really good things against Iowa. Not sure why he is getting more run, but is he a transfer risk?
Marvin Scott - Looks the part and did ok in limited action, but lacks top end speed.
Ronald Thompkins - High ceiling, but injury plagued. Looked good against OSU
Sevion Morrison - Injured, but could possess the speed we need.
Gabe Ervin - New Recruit. I like his film. Seems pretty smooth and kind of reminds me of Braylon Heard from a few years back.
I hope Morrison is the answer for next year...or Ervin. If Mills is gone...I’ve seen the rest and unless they improve greatly...none of them can be our bell cow rb next year. Morrison is our best bet right now I’d say.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Holy shit Marvin Scott had 20ish carries and ran for 2.6 yards per carry. He literally was running into three d lineman on every play. The o line opens no holes. He never even saw a slight opening. He is a dam freshman, it took Ozigbo 150 carries as a senior to start figuring it out! Morrison, Johnson and Scott will all be good running backs, it’s just gonna take longer than 6 months to become all Americans.

Except when David Montgomery was given a chance to play his first year, he made a huge impact. Think it was because of ISU's offensive line play and great quarterback? Let the hype train chug on!
Yes I do. ISU under Campbell has had consistently good O line and QB play. I didnt' say a great QB. I said a GOOD QB. The threat of a guy who can complete a pass outside of 5 yards opens things up for a RB. All day. Every day.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
ADVERTISEMENT