ADVERTISEMENT

RB intrigue - Jaquez Yant

Don't hold your breath. We haven't recruited a top RB since Abdullah.
We never had a problem recruiting RBs. Hopeful Frost comes up with a better game plan so we can land the stud RBs we were so accustomed to having on the roster year in year out
Here are the rivals rankings of some recent NU backs: Helu 5.5, Rex 5.8, AA 5.7, Newby 6(!), Zig 5.6, Mills 5.6 (out of HS).
Here are the rivals rankings of those presently on the roster: Stepp 5.8, Sevion 5.8, Rahmir 5.8, Thompkins 5.7, Ervin 5.7, Scott III 5.6, and Yant is a 247 3*.
You can see that their isn't a difference in putative talent between the two groups.
Ameer Abdullah wasn't a top RB when he first got to NU. The difference between Roy, Rex and AA and other backs was the fact that they had talent plus the want it factor. That's why I like what I hear the coaches say about Gabe Ervin. Comes to practice with business like mentality and wants to be good, and isn't just expecting that to magically happen. What is between the ears is most important in making the jump from HS to college.

Reactions: headcard
It’s like Groundhog Day all over again. You have no idea if AM was promised the starting position and there really is no reason to think he was. The only person saying AM was promised it are the voices in your head.

Just because the player you wanted to start lost the job, doesn’t mean it was mis managed. Gebbia had every chance to compete, he lost and decided to take his ball and go home. And has only proven Frost made the right choice, as he has been much worse than AM to this point of his career.
Wrong, it was obvious to anyone who had a brain that Frost was stringing this along so he could keep Gebbia here. He was lying to the kid. And people expect someone to be loyal to a coach that was flat out lying to him? I'm glad Gebbia found a way to still transfer and get one over on Frost. All you people that think Frost is some kind of Osborne make me laugh. The guy is a downright douchebag.

Wrong, it was obvious to anyone who had a brain that Frost was stringing this along so he could keep Gebbia here. He was lying to the kid. And people expect someone to be loyal to a coach that was flat out lying to him? I'm glad Gebbia found a way to still transfer and get one over on Frost. All you people that think Frost is some kind of Osborne make me laugh. The guy is a downright douchebag.
Who has said Frost is some kind of Osborne? Maybe when he first came here, sure... but show me the poster in the last year that has made this claim.

I just want to know who you’re laughing at.

I agree, just not on the goal line. Im not sure who our new goal line back will be now that wandale is gone. My money is on Matt Schuster at a bruising 5’7” 170lbs from Cozad.

now you‘re starting to be a bit of a troll with your classic seq name.

now you‘re starting to be a bit of a troll with your classic seq name.

Not sure what an seq name is but it’s funny how the realists here are labeled as trolls by the more butt hurt fans just for pointing out obvious repeated blunders by the staff. You may want to read more of my posts as I am typically more positive than negative about NU sports in general. I chose this username because I’m genuinely optimistic that our Huskers will be back someday, so you’re pretty wrong about me.

Last edited:
Who has said Frost is some kind of Osborne? Maybe when he first came here, sure... but show me the poster in the last year that has made this claim.

I just want to know who you’re laughing at.
It all started with someone who couldn't seem to understand what happened Frost's first year, and now you guys jumping in to rehash old arguments. It's the same crap as when we had Riley.. you guys need to freaking stop.

It all started with someone who couldn't seem to understand what happened Frost's first year, and now you guys jumping in to rehash old arguments. It's the same crap as when we had Riley.. you guys need to freaking stop.
Again, who is saying Frost is Osborne? I could say the same to you about needing to stop, but the irony would be missed by you I think...

I think we have guys that can do some things in the open field. How could we not with all these recruits? This RB room has more highly rated recruits then I can ever remember. The problem last year was they didn’t see a lot of open field. That happens when you can’t throw the ball 5 yards or read an option play correctly. None of these kids have had much of an opportunity here so far. I think we’ll see some better blocking this season and we’ll see these guys look a lot better

I was at the open practice yesterday. We have more scholarship backs standing around without pads than are practicing. I counted 2 scholi backs practicing. Let's see what the spring game is like. If we still only have 2 scholi backs playing its time to do some cutting and hit the transfer portal for somebody healthy.

Again, who is saying Frost is Osborne? I could say the same to you about needing to stop, but the irony would be missed by you I think...
Osborne???

micheal Scott Frost would have to go 10-2 this coming season to even earn the distinction of being mentioned in the same breath as mike riley in the pantheon of Husker coaches

Osborne???

micheal Scott Frost would have to go 10-2 this coming season to even earn the distinction of being mentioned in the same breath as mike riley in the pantheon of Husker coaches
You don’t need to tell me this, I’m not the one pretending posters on this board are equating Frost to Osborne. For once, you and I don’t disagree about something.

Here are the rivals rankings of some recent NU backs: Helu 5.5, Rex 5.8, AA 5.7, Newby 6(!), Zig 5.6, Mills 5.6 (out of HS).
Here are the rivals rankings of those presently on the roster: Stepp 5.8, Sevion 5.8, Rahmir 5.8, Thompkins 5.7, Ervin 5.7, Scott III 5.6, and Yant is a 247 3*.
You can see that their isn't a difference in putative talent between the two groups.
Ameer Abdullah wasn't a top RB when he first got to NU. The difference between Roy, Rex and AA and other backs was the fact that they had talent plus the want it factor. That's why I like what I hear the coaches say about Gabe Ervin. Comes to practice with business like mentality and wants to be good, and isn't just expecting that to magically happen. What is between the ears is most important in making the jump from HS to college.
I'm not going to fing argue w you

Tristian and Luke didn't have confidence issues that affected their whole offense. Both would have been a better choice the past 2 seasons.
Luke had the "confidence" to do things he wasn't capable of like being a qb in division one football. Too bad he couldn't have been truthful with himself. He could have been a real asset to the team at a different position.

Luke still would have been an improvement over Amart. I think we would have won more games with Luke. You can't just expect things to change overnight for a freshman in a new system.

It's crazy that everyone else wrote Luke off after 2 games when they gave AM time and time and more time, even though he kept losing more and more games.
It's because of what he showed us his freshmen year

Listen, we know he did transfer, but that is not what this is about. Scott ended the QB competition precisely when players could not transfer to 99% of schools. Scott didn't know about the quarters based school having a slightly different window. Gebbia knew he was being played, and ended up playing the coach in return. This is a perfect example of player mismanagement, that started off Scott's coaching career at Nebraska. The worst part of it, is he promised the job to get AM's commitment, so the whole thing was a rouse to begin with.
Every coach at every D1 school does this. Qb depth is vital and you say whatever you need to keep that depth. The main difference between Frost and successful coaches at this level is Frost both failed to keep his backup qb's AND he refuses to recruit enough serviceable qb's for when one does end up leaving.

Listen, we know he did transfer, but that is not what this is about. Scott ended the QB competition precisely when players could not transfer to 99% of schools. Scott didn't know about the quarters based school having a slightly different window. Gebbia knew he was being played, and ended up playing the coach in return. This is a perfect example of player mismanagement, that started off Scott's coaching career at Nebraska. The worst part of it, is he promised the job to get AM's commitment, so the whole thing was a rouse to begin with.
Yea, because Scott Frost didn’t coach at Oregon and know that they operate on a different semester schedule! Seriously do you think the guy is just an idiot?

They all will more likely be good than busts. This is a talented group of kids who just need a decent OL and experience to shine.
All’s we need is for Jurgens to start snapping it correctly and none of these high snaps and I have faith that this will be a start of very good O-line play..

Reactions: jeans1515

Wrong, because the voices in your head say so? No one was lied to, he got beat out, he could have stayed and competed and had a chance to win the position, but he chose to leave in the middle of the night and run off to Corvallis. I'm glad you are so loyal to some kid that never played a snap at Nebraska, couldn't beat out a true freshman and has been terrible at Oregon State, but that says more about you than Scott Frost.

After what Held did recruiting for us in 2019...?
You must be out your damn mind...
What I was inferring is that we have recruited numerous 4* running backs the last couple of years, and I have yet to see one of them produce on any consistent basis, and don't tell me they're young. Good backs should be able to play significant time their freshman If needed.

Did no running back of ours make it into the NFL since Held has taken over as running backs coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT