ADVERTISEMENT

RB intrigue - Jaquez Yant

Well as you can see, by going back to AMart, it sort of forced Luke into transferring, so the entire picture changes yet again.

Each decision the staff makes, or doesn't make, has consequences and repercussions down the line.

Frost just said that he thought Adrian was in a good place mentally, and we have really no backups with experience (I wonder why) so you have to start Adrian this year.

If Adrain stays in a good spot upstairs, and doesn't start turning the ball over, maybe you can get through this year with a > .500 record.

I just don't understand why a coach would let a QB with confidence problems drag down the entire team and program the prior 2 seasons.

If he's better, then so be it, and it will be a relief to see.. but I'm just talking about getting to .500 and a bowl game.

I expect Haarberg will be the future of the position. Teams won't honor the deep ball unless you can consistently throw and make it deep, so the days of athletes trying to be passers, is probably coming to a close here.

Makes you wonder why Frost ran off all the real QB's and recruited a bunch of runners in the first place... but here we are.
I'm told Haarberg has an awkward motion but the coaches don't want to fix it for fear of messing him up.

I'm told Haarberg has an awkward motion but the coaches don't want to fix it for fear of messing him up.
You are being told that? Why not just go watch the videos of him and form your own opinion?

Just at a quick look he has a pretty quick release. It looks like he has kind of a low stroke but still has a lot of power. There are multiple clips of him throwing 40+ yards tosses with little effort and looks to be pretty accurate.

His height will certainly help with the little bit lower motion.

What do you think?

Luke as a starter: 1-1

AM as a starter: 10-17

he should've never been given the job back, and I will anxiously await yet another benching

no QB does more to lose games for his team than ours
I liked the mantra about AM last year, “He has Luke now on his heels pushing him to excel and a better group of WR’s and RB’s, so expect big things.”
Now this year it’s, “With Luke gone, AM doesn’t have someone on his heels and can settle down and come into his own and has a better group of WR’s and RB’s, so expect big things.”

You are being told that? Why not just go watch the videos of him and form your own opinion?

Just at a quick look he has a pretty quick release. It looks like he has kind of a low stroke but still has a lot of power. There are multiple clips of him throwing 40+ yards tosses with little effort and looks to be pretty accurate.

His height will certainly help with the little bit lower motion.

What do you think?
Yes, not impressed with his HS videos re: his throwing mechanics. Holding the ball around your waistline before throwing deep is something a QB coach should address.

Yes, not impressed with his HS videos re: his throwing mechanics. Holding the ball around your waistline before throwing deep is something a QB coach should address.
One could argue that (before throw position) is not the “stroke” itself. One could be working on exactly what you are saying but ultimate throwing motion is same. Then again I am making this stuff up because video of spring has been so limited !!

Are you just making stuff up? I literally just watched his video and he holds the ball at shoulder level on almost every throw.

The coaches also said his mechanics are “pretty clean” so they are just working on drops and other things.

Doesn't really sound like the coaches just don't want to mess with him to me.

Be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted Luke over AMart as well and that was a bust. And we have had worse starting quarterbacks at Nebraska, even under Osborne, than AMart and they still won games. Why? Because they were surrounded by good teammates who were well coached. I think of guys like Craig Sundberg or McCant who were not good passers at all. And in Sundberg's case, not even a good runner. But they still won games. AMart is not the sole reason, or even the main reason, for those 17 losses. Put AMart on one of Osborne's teams and he would have been on the level of a Steve Taylor. What we need is for AMart to stay healthy, avoid turnovers, and for the rest of the team to step up its game. But that will require coaching. Do we have good coaching??? That is the million dollar question that this year will go a long way towards answering.
I recall that McCants in the one year he had opportunity to start as a senior was a decent passer, who won all conference. Would dispute the idea he was not a good passer.

I recall that McCants in the one year he had opportunity to start as a senior was a decent passer, who won all conference. Would dispute the idea he was not a good passer.
He was just decent as a passer. And he certainly did not make all conference because of his passing. The dude had good wheels and played on a good offense. He was no better a passer than AMart is. And the fact he made all conference despite being just an average passer makes my point. He is remembered as a good Nebraska QB because he was on a damn good team. The way some of you are talking on here about AMart it would seem that he is just the worst passer in the history of football. Good grief. He isn’t great, but he isn’t horrible either. If had been on the team McCant was on he would have been all conference too.

He was just decent as a passer. And he certainly did not make all conference because of his passing. The dude had good wheels and played on a good offense. He was no better a passer than AMart is. And the fact he made all conference despite being just an average passer makes my point. He is remembered as a good Nebraska QB because he was on a damn good team. The way some of you are talking on here about AMart it would seem that he is just the worst passer in the history of football. Good grief. He isn’t great, but he isn’t horrible either. If had been on the team McCant was on he would have been all conference too.
Here are McCants' 1991 statistics in passing and rushing. Yes, he did well / decently his senior year.

11 games
97 completions of 168 attempts (57.7% passing)
1,454 yards, 8.7 yards/attempt
13 touchdowns / 8 interceptions
117 rushing attempts, 654 yards, 5.6 yards per rushing attempt
7 touchdowns rushing
Keithen McCants' Career Stats @ DONU
Nebraska Team Win-Loss Record in 1991 = 9-2-1

Compare this first to Jamal Lord's junior (2002) and senior (2003) year stats:

2002 2003
Games 14 13
Passing Completions 95 85
Passing Attempts 204 176
Passing Completion Percentage 46.6% 48.3%
Passing Yards 1,362 1,305
Touchdowns Passing 12 6
Interceptions 12 8
Rushing attempts 251 215
Rushing Yards 1,412 968
Rushing Yards per attempt 5.6 4.4
Touchdowns Rushing 8 10
Jammal Lord's Career Stats @DONU
Nebraska Football Team W-L Record 7-7 10-3 (followed by Steve Pederson debacle & Solich firing)

Last edited:
I agree that McCant was a better QB than I anticipated. Mike Grant was supposed to be the guy, as I recall, and just buckled under the pressure of being the starting QB or something. McCant took over and played well, all things considered.

That being said, McCant wasn’t asked to throw the ball too much, giving him an easier time with more defenses stepping up to stop the run and leaving DBs on an island more often.

At least that’s how I remember things.

I agree that McCant was a better QB than I anticipated. Mike Grant was supposed to be the guy, as I recall, and just buckled under the pressure of being the starting QB or something. McCant took over and played well, all things considered.

That being said, McCant wasn’t asked to throw the ball too much, giving him an easier time with more defenses stepping up to stop the run and leaving DBs on an island more often.

At least that’s how I remember things.
Exactly.

Tristian and Luke didn't have confidence issues that affected their whole offense. Both would have been a better choice the past 2 seasons.
I wanted Luke to take the reins once he was inserted as starter but we all saw it. The guy ain’t got it. He’s a gadget player and should be playing wr, I’ll eat crow if he does well at Louisville, but the one thing that gebbia and Luke both have in common is they know how to tuck tail and leave. Frost is too stubborn for my liking with his program but there is no way he sticks with Adrian if either would have stayed and consistently outperformed him.

Luke still would have been an improvement over Amart. I think we would have won more games with Luke. You can't just expect things to change overnight for a freshman in a new system.

It's crazy that everyone else wrote Luke off after 2 games when they gave AM time and time and more time, even though he kept losing more and more games.
Don’t agree with your thoughts. Both Gebbia and McCaffrey were to small to take the physical toll on Big 10 play. Gebbia could not run adequately, and McCaffrey we found could not pass well enough, and the way he left the program revealed character flaw issues.

Tristan Gebbia put up shittier numbers that AM last year and in 2019.

If the case is "they both suck" you may have an argument there.

I'm not an AM fan, but we ended up with the better of the two.

Gebbia looked pretty damn good against Oregon in his last game last season. Meanwhile, Martinez hasn't won against a single Top 25 team in three years.

Don’t agree with your thoughts. Both Gebbia and McCaffrey were to small to take the physical toll on Big 10 play. Gebbia could not run adequately, and McCaffrey we found could not pass well enough, and the way he left the program revealed character flaw issues.
if they're too small to take the physical toll, what's AM's excuse?

You mean character problems with the head coach and how he strung Gebbia along until he thought Gebbia couldn't transfer anymore.

Most freshmen are too small, but gain weight in time. Also, most freshmen don't have confidence problems. That little detail is pretty important for your most important position on the team.

You mean character problems with the head coach and how he strung Gebbia along until he thought Gebbia couldn't transfer anymore.

Most freshmen are too small, but gain weight in time. Also, most freshmen don't have confidence problems. That little detail is pretty important for your most important position on the team.
He strung him along until he could not transfer? Not only did you make that up it’s also proved to be wrong because he did F’n transfer. You guys are too on the make shit up ledge ?

He strung him along until he could not transfer? Not only did you make that up it’s also proved to be wrong because he did F’n transfer. You guys are too on the make shit up ledge ?
The only way Gebbia managed to transfer to Oregon State is because that university operates on a Quarters based system, which has slightly different rules and time frames than most other semester based universities.

You should probably do some research before you mouth off.

Reactions: Chuck003
The only way Gebbia managed to transfer to Oregon State is because that university operates on a Quarters based system, which has slightly different rules and time frames than most other semester based universities.

You should probably do some research before you mouth off.
So you are saying he did indeed transfer?

Tristan Gebbia put up shittier numbers that AM last year and in 2019.

If the case is "they both suck" you may have an argument there.

I'm not an AM fan, but we ended up with the better of the two.
I promise you that Oregon St would have beat them the last two years. OREGON ST. Hell, former Neb linebacker Avery Roberts was first team Pac-12 and in consideration for Pac 12 defensive player of the year. Apparently our coaches couldn't reach him. Oregon St's coaches could.

Last edited:
So you are saying he did indeed transfer?
Listen, we know he did transfer, but that is not what this is about. Scott ended the QB competition precisely when players could not transfer to 99% of schools. Scott didn't know about the quarters based school having a slightly different window. Gebbia knew he was being played, and ended up playing the coach in return. This is a perfect example of player mismanagement, that started off Scott's coaching career at Nebraska. The worst part of it, is he promised the job to get AM's commitment, so the whole thing was a rouse to begin with.

When we are taking about walk-on Yant and Gray-shirt Issacc Gifford ( who turned down Wyoming, Northern Iowa, New Mexico State and Colorado ST ) as the next great ones, you know and will understand why this program is currently in the position that it is come this fall. and if you don't know, and are confused about your football prowess ,save this post and talk to me in December. We will go over this for the 5th consecutive year, it get's old- I know- but I will continue to educate you. No problem. Keep listening to Scott "it's getting frosty here" living legend hick, and poor coach Frost. It's cool. Homerism has been around for years. Practicality and football knowledge, apparently has not.
Gifford is a bad choice for you to use as an example. I would bet money that he'll play on Sundays. It's tough sometimes to project a late bloomer coming out of high school like the Giffords have been. Yant would have power 5 offers if not for his academics. Spring ball is all about giving guys who are showing up in workouts a chance to show what they can do. With all of the RBs on the sidelines in shorts, I wouldn't get too worked up about Yant getting reps.

Gifford is a bad choice for you to use as an example. I would bet money that he'll play on Sundays. It's tough sometimes to project a late bloomer coming out of high school like the Giffords have been. Yant would have power 5 offers if not for his academics. Spring ball is all about giving guys who are showing up in workouts a chance to show what they can do. With all of the RBs on the sidelines in shorts, I wouldn't get too worked up about Yant getting reps.
If not for the school work, Yant would probably be on a SEC or ACC roster.

Listen, we know he did transfer, but that is not what this is about. Scott ended the QB competition precisely when players could not transfer to 99% of schools. Scott didn't know about the quarters based school having a slightly different window. Gebbia knew he was being played, and ended up playing the coach in return. This is a perfect example of player mismanagement, that started off Scott's coaching career at Nebraska. The worst part of it, is he promised the job to get AM's commitment, so the whole thing was a rouse to begin with.

It’s like Groundhog Day all over again. You have no idea if AM was promised the starting position and there really is no reason to think he was. The only person saying AM was promised it are the voices in your head.

Just because the player you wanted to start lost the job, doesn’t mean it was mis managed. Gebbia had every chance to compete, he lost and decided to take his ball and go home. And has only proven Frost made the right choice, as he has been much worse than AM to this point of his career.

I promise you that Oregon St would have beat them the last two years. OREGON ST. Hell, former Neb linebacker Avery Roberts was first team Pac-12 and in consideration for Pac 12 defensive player of the year. Apparently our coaches couldn't reach him. Oregon St's coaches could.

Wow, unbelievable

Yep. Inexcusable to lose a backup QB with a 1:6 TD/INT ratio. How will we ever move on....

While official stat line does show the 1 TD, I still take exception to those mini-toss handoffs counting as passes. 0:6 better reflects the situation.

Reactions: headcard
He ends it a week before game one with a fall camp that is ~6 weeks long. Not exactly stretching something out that was unknown at start of camp

Reactions: headcard
I didn't know that this kid was on the roster at RB. Listed at 6-2/225. Frost gave him a mention in his press conference today. Apparent legit RB recruit who fell through the cracks due to grades, but was able to turn things around and signed with NU as a walk on.
Don't hold your breath. We haven't recruited a top RB since Abdullah.
We never had a problem recruiting RBs. Hopeful Frost comes up with a better game plan so we can land the stud RBs we were so accustomed to having on the roster year in year out

ADVERTISEMENT