ADVERTISEMENT

RB intrigue - Jaquez Yant

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
I didn't know that this kid was on the roster at RB. Listed at 6-2/225. Frost gave him a mention in his press conference today. Apparent legit RB recruit who fell through the cracks due to grades, but was able to turn things around and signed with NU as a walk on.

I didn't know that this kid was on the roster at RB. Listed at 6-2/225. Frost gave him a mention in his press conference today. Apparent legit RB recruit who fell through the cracks due to grades, but was able to turn things around and signed with NU as a walk on.
I remember Tyrell Spain.

Stepp, Ervin, Scott, Morrison, Johnson, Thompkins, and apparently the Yant kid could be in the mix for carries this fall. Lots of backs, would think there might be some portal activity as a depth chart takes shape.

Stepp, Ervin, Scott, Morrison, Johnson, Thompkins, and apparently the Yant kid could be in the mix for carries this fall. Lots of backs, would think there might be some portal activity as a depth chart takes shape.
I find it so depressing if these all are busts, with the exception of Ervin, but he's a true Freshman.

You always have to pay attention to walkons as well as scolly players. Most on both boards already knew about Yant and his size for awhile now.

Reactions: jsachisler
Wouldn't surprise me to see a departure or two and the addition of somebody from JUCO or the portal after spring.

They have a bunch of walk-ons at the position as well, you gotta think there's a point where if you can get similar production from a walk-on as what a scholarship guy is giving you, you bid him farewell. Getting to be a lot of RBs on scholarship who you feel really underwhelmed about.

If they can't break out, free up that scholarship and try again. We can get kids to be mediocre for free.

One would hope, we need to do some culling.

I think we have guys that can do some things in the open field. How could we not with all these recruits? This RB room has more highly rated recruits then I can ever remember. The problem last year was they didn’t see a lot of open field. That happens when you can’t throw the ball 5 yards or read an option play correctly. None of these kids have had much of an opportunity here so far. I think we’ll see some better blocking this season and we’ll see these guys look a lot better

Will Morrison and Johnson appear in any place other than Nebraska recruiting junkies minds?

Reactions: TheBeav815
I think one or two of these guys will emerge this year as real threats. Part of the problem over the past two years was a lack of talent at WR and so teams have loaded the box to stop the run. Sure AMart misses a fair number of open guys, but in his defense he has often been under duress for any pass pattern that takes longer than two seconds to develop. I think with a better passing game and better offensive line play we will see the running lanes opening up. I am optimistic. And I don't think this is kool aid drinking. I don't even read the feel good shit coming out of practice. Mainly because you never know how good you are until you play a real opponent with talent. In practice you are playing against each other which means it might just be Rutgers level talent going against Rutgers level talent. And so a guy that the press is gushing over because he has "really shown some moves in practice" may not be that good in a real game.

I think one or two of these guys will emerge this year as real threats. Part of the problem over the past two years was a lack of talent at WR and so teams have loaded the box to stop the run. Sure AMart misses a fair number of open guys, but in his defense he has often been under duress for any pass pattern that takes longer than two seconds to develop. I think with a better passing game and better offensive line play we will see the running lanes opening up. I am optimistic. And I don't think this is kool aid drinking. I don't even read the feel good shit coming out of practice. Mainly because you never know how good you are until you play a real opponent with talent. In practice you are playing against each other which means it might just be Rutgers level talent going against Rutgers level talent. And so a guy that the press is gushing over because he has "really shown some moves in practice" may not be that good in a real game.
i agree. i dont think opponents respected the pass. with an improved OL and improved WRs the run game will open up. of course, Martinez runs the ball 2nd most on the team every year. Thats why if i was a RB i would be concerned not only with the number of RBs on the roster but the fact that so many touches go to the QB and not RBs. That reduces the opportunity for multiple RBs as much as the the roster numbers do. its obvious Held can recruit because there are many reasons for RBs not to choose NEB right now but they are. We will see some leave over the next 12 months. if you are the backup RB at Neb it is equivalent to 3rd string on most programs depth chart because of the heavy run use of the NEB QB. these kids will get tired of not getting much time or opportunity sooner or later

i agree. i dont think opponents respected the pass. with an improved OL and improved WRs the run game will open up. of course, Martinez runs the ball 2nd most on the team every year. Thats why if i was a RB i would be concerned not only with the number of RBs on the roster but the fact that so many touches go to the QB and not RBs. That reduces the opportunity for multiple RBs as much as the the roster numbers do. its obvious Held can recruit because there are many reasons for RBs not to choose NEB right now but they are. We will see some leave over the next 12 months. if you are the backup RB at Neb it is equivalent to 3rd string on most programs depth chart because of the heavy run use of the NEB QB. these kids will get tired of not getting much time or opportunity sooner or later
AM led the team in carries the past 2 seasons

this is a trend that needs to stop immediately if we want to be, you know, good at offensive football

In our zone read scheme the QB has to run the ball every now and then. But it has gotten to be too much. I think we will see far less of AMart running this year if for no other reason than we simply cannot afford to lose him to injury. For as much as people on here bitch about him, the fact is if he goes down we are royally screwed this year. His backups have talent but zero game experience. That alone is worth a couple or more losses in a season where we cannot afford to give games away.

In our zone read scheme the QB has to run the ball every now and then. But it has gotten to be too much. I think we will see far less of AMart running this year if for no other reason than we simply cannot afford to lose him to injury. For as much as people on here bitch about him, the fact is if he goes down we are royally screwed this year. His backups have talent but zero game experience. That alone is worth a couple or more losses in a season where we cannot afford to give games away.
zero experience >>>>> the AM experience (17 career losses, most in Husker history)

zero experience >>>>> the AM experience (17 career losses, most in Husker history)
Be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted Luke over AMart as well and that was a bust. And we have had worse starting quarterbacks at Nebraska, even under Osborne, than AMart and they still won games. Why? Because they were surrounded by good teammates who were well coached. I think of guys like Craig Sundberg or McCant who were not good passers at all. And in Sundberg's case, not even a good runner. But they still won games. AMart is not the sole reason, or even the main reason, for those 17 losses. Put AMart on one of Osborne's teams and he would have been on the level of a Steve Taylor. What we need is for AMart to stay healthy, avoid turnovers, and for the rest of the team to step up its game. But that will require coaching. Do we have good coaching??? That is the million dollar question that this year will go a long way towards answering.

Be careful what you wish for. Everyone wanted Luke over AMart as well and that was a bust. And we have had worse starting quarterbacks at Nebraska, even under Osborne, than AMart and they still won games. Why? Because they were surrounded by good teammates who were well coached. I think of guys like Craig Sundberg or McCant who were not good passers at all. And in Sundberg's case, not even a good runner. But they still won games. AMart is not the sole reason, or even the main reason, for those 17 losses. Put AMart on one of Osborne's teams and he would have been on the level of a Steve Taylor. What we need is for AMart to stay healthy, avoid turnovers, and for the rest of the team to step up its game. But that will require coaching. Do we have good coaching??? That is the million dollar question that this year will go a long way towards answering.
Luke as a starter: 1-1

AM as a starter: 10-17

he should've never been given the job back, and I will anxiously await yet another benching

no QB does more to lose games for his team than ours

Luke still would have been an improvement over Amart. I think we would have won more games with Luke. You can't just expect things to change overnight for a freshman in a new system.

It's crazy that everyone else wrote Luke off after 2 games when they gave AM time and time and more time, even though he kept losing more and more games.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Luke still would have been an improvement over Amart. I think we would have won more games with Luke. You can't just expect things to change overnight for a freshman in a new system.

It's crazy that everyone else wrote Luke off after 2 games when they gave AM time and time and more time, even though he kept losing more and more games.
everyone: AM gives us the best chance to win!

meanwhile, he beats precisely nobody for a 3rd straight year while crippling the team with turnover after turnover in what has to be the most predictable offense in the country due to his inability make anyone better around him

everyone: but his completion percentage!

It's crazy that everyone else wrote Luke off after 2 games when they gave AM time and time and more time, even though he kept losing more and more games
So who should start instead of AMart now that Luke is gone?

Maskar, Smothers, Haarberg, direct snap to Cam Taylor-Britt, direct snap to any RB

no option could be worse than the literal losingest QB in NU history

give AM a set of pompoms

Luke as a starter: 1-1

AM as a starter: 10-17

he should've never been given the job back, and I will anxiously await yet another benching

no QB does more to lose games for his team than ours

No way Nebraska loses the Illinois game if Adrian is the QB. McCaffery's performance in that game was the all time worst starting performance in Nebraska football history.

Also, Luke's terrible interception vs. Minnesota basically cost Nebraska that game as well. However, I will throw that decision more at the feet of Scott Frost who chose to run the back up QB on the field with 20 seconds left in the game clock, and then go ahead and call two straight pass plays with Luke after Nebraska had just ran for 17 yards on the previous two plays. Call a God Damn timeout Scott.

Frost holds on to timeouts like he needs them to beat Tom Brady with two minutes remaining in a conference championship game.

Well as you can see, by going back to AMart, it sort of forced Luke into transferring, so the entire picture changes yet again.

Each decision the staff makes, or doesn't make, has consequences and repercussions down the line.

Frost just said that he thought Adrian was in a good place mentally, and we have really no backups with experience (I wonder why) so you have to start Adrian this year.

If Adrain stays in a good spot upstairs, and doesn't start turning the ball over, maybe you can get through this year with a > .500 record.

I just don't understand why a coach would let a QB with confidence problems drag down the entire team and program the prior 2 seasons.

If he's better, then so be it, and it will be a relief to see.. but I'm just talking about getting to .500 and a bowl game.

I expect Haarberg will be the future of the position. Teams won't honor the deep ball unless you can consistently throw and make it deep, so the days of athletes trying to be passers, is probably coming to a close here.

Makes you wonder why Frost ran off all the real QB's and recruited a bunch of runners in the first place... but here we are.

No way Nebraska loses the Illinois game if Adrian is the QB. McCaffery's performance in that game was the all time worst starting performance in Nebraska football history.

Also, Luke's terrible interception vs. Minnesota basically cost Nebraska that game as well. However, I will throw that decision more at the feet of Scott Frost who chose to run the back up QB on the field with 20 seconds left in the game clock, and then go ahead and call two straight pass plays with Luke after Nebraska had just ran for 17 yards on the previous two plays. Call a God Damn timeout Scott.

Frost holds on to timeouts like he needs them to beat Tom Brady with two minutes remaining in a conference championship game.
maybe. maybe we don't beat PSU with AM, too.

I agree that was on Frost. it would also be nice to have a QB who's made of something sturdier than glass so our backups don't always need to be called upon mid-game due to injury.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Tristan Gebbia put up shittier numbers that AM last year and in 2019.

If the case is "they both suck" you may have an argument there.

I'm not an AM fan, but we ended up with the better of the two.
Tristian and Luke didn't have confidence issues that affected their whole offense. Both would have been a better choice the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: Chuck003

I wrote Luke off when he quit the team at end of year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT