ADVERTISEMENT

RB depth

Hizzlybear41

Walk On
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2018
Our RB depth is poor on an optimistic day! I realize we have some dudes either not on campus, dealing with some stuff off campus or needing to gain 25lbs! How are we not pushing hard for a highly rated RB? The door is WIDE open which I would think would be a big positive for a kid looking to be on the field in yr 1!

Our RB depth is poor on an optimistic day! I realize we have some dudes either not on campus, dealing with some stuff off campus or needing to gain 25lbs! How are we not pushing hard for a highly rated RB? The door is WIDE open which I would think would be a big positive for a kid looking to be on the field in yr 1!
Are you taking grad transfer? Ironic part is I can’t even remeber all the posts asking why the staff was recruiting so many RB’s last year.

We brought is a bunch of tweeners the last 2 cycles! Guys that play wr/rb. I'm looking for a guy that doesn't need 2 years of strick dieting and weights just to get to 190! It looks like mills is up to 215 but it's hard for me to put alot of my eggs in his basket after the recent miss with the former #1 juco RB! I don't see any of the guys practicing right now on the 1s and 2s of any of the top 60% of the B1G teams!

We brought is a bunch of tweeners the last 2 cycles! Guys that play wr/rb. I'm looking for a guy that doesn't need 2 years of strick dieting and weights just to get to 190! It looks like mills is up to 215 but it's hard for me to put alot of my eggs in his basket after the recent miss with the former #1 juco RB! I don't see any of the guys practicing right now on the 1s and 2s of any of the top 60% of the B1G teams!

To be fair here, I doubt Frost is worried about how you feel or how you’d like to see our RBs. Two, M Washington will do just fine when this is all said and done. RBs don’t have be 215-225 plus to be good RBs. We will have Maurice Washington rushing for 1000 plus and receiving 1000 plus by the time he’s a senior. Like a few said, we will add Mills, Thompkins and R Johnson this fall, Thompkins and Mills are ideal RBs as well. We are more then fine, I’m sure Frost sees what he has and how he’s looking. ;)

where have you been the past 5 years? If these new recruits are what they are supposed to be, you could argue we are deeper than we’ve been in awhile at RB. I do not worry about a single offensive position under Frost. Defense is where we still need to see proof of improvement.

Reactions: little a

Is this real life?

Experience is lacking at RB, depth is not. They've got bodies at that position.

Question on Mills is does he get to campus and get to work in the playbook. If he does I think you probably end up with him and Mazour in a 1a and 1b situation to start the year.

Time for Wyatt to prove he really is up to the great white hype.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Mills is legit. You also have Wandale as a bit of a hybrid guy. Would be nice if some of the other unknowns made a push too.

Experience is lacking at RB, depth is not. They've got bodies at that position.

Question on Mills is does he get to campus and get to work in the playbook. If he does I think you probably end up with him and Mazour in a 1a and 1b situation to start the year.

Time for Wyatt to prove he really is up to the great white hype.
So you think Mo is gone.

He already takes reps there.

And I seriously think Brody Belt might be ahead of Bradley.
We have absolutely got a couple of very solid walk on RBs. They probably aren't going to house one like Washington, but they are very good athletes. IMO, we would be fine if we had to play Belt.

Reactions: BroskiRed
I will not panic unless Washington and Mills can't play in the fall. That is the only scenario of getting a grad transfer makes sense. Will get more information in April or May.

The spring is rough at RB for sure, but the influx of guys will help. Johnson and Mills could be plug and play depending on their knowledge level. Johnson needs to hit the weights hard and Mills has the edge one would think, given experience. I think Thompkins is gonna need a year to be D1 football ready.
I also wouldnt mind seeing Moses Bryant move to RB this spring (mentioned above). Always loved his HS film and thought he was a big pickup as a walkon.
Bradley is definitely a wild card. If he emerges after this spring opportunity AND as long as Mo Washington can play, then the RB position will be solid come fall. I don’t like all the questions right now, but hopefully come game day the position will be on solid ground ready to put up some big numbers. The OL is gonna have to play their part in RB success, so the issue at Center in particular is equally as important as the ‘thin’ RB position this spring.

Too bad Rahmir Johnson or Ronald Thompkins didn’t arrive early instead of waiting till this summer..

Very excited about Rahmir Johnson for the upcoming season..
Me too. But Thompkins is almost certainly a redshirt after his latest knee injury.

Reactions: scarletred
Wow, if this is true, OP is right, be worried very worried, it's all up to Mazour and the new guys arriving this summer. Not good.

What is there to "worry" about at this point? All we have heard so far in spring is that guys, including M Washington, are getting reps. If Belt is getting reps with the top offense that is great for depth of the position. This will all get sorted out in FALL camp. I see no reason why Rahmir Johnson can't come in and have a Maurice Washington/Rex Burkhead type freshman season 400-500 yds of total offense. And that would be a small part of an offense that generated alot of rushing opportunities/yardage last season. Spring camp isn't even done yet, alot to work on with everyone. Ryan Held seems to have his bases covered here. If there is a position to "worry" about, RB would not be one of them IMO. There is enough versatility and athletes at RB/WR that I am not "worried" about touches or production here.

Last edited:
So you think Mo is gone.
I somehow forgot about him. I really don't know what's going to happen there. I guess if I were a betting man I'd say they should plan on him not being available and if he is that's a pleasant surprise for them.

I somehow forgot about him. I really don't know what's going to happen there. I guess if I were a betting man I'd say they should plan on him not being available and if he is that's a pleasant surprise for them.

If I were a betting man I'd say that he will be with the team in the fall, but won't be available to play at the beginning of the season.

If I were a betting man I'd say that he will be with the team in the fall, but won't be available to play at the beginning of the season.
Yeah, all depends on what they end up with as far as charges and plea bargains. If they want to make him serve time it's going to get complicated.

Yeah, all depends on what they end up with as far as charges and plea bargains. If they want to make him serve time it's going to get complicated.

Again if I were a betting man I would be shocked if he does any time. IMHO.......This will be plea bargained and will result in a misdemeanor and community service and some suspension at Nebraska .

I think Jaylin Bradley can be a major player. I’m hoping he’s put in work in the offseason. He looked so quick and elusive as a recruit but he seemed too big and wasn't fast when Riley gave him a shot against Purdue.

Here’s to hoping he got back what he was originally recruited for. I’m excited to see him in the spring!

Alot of bodies. Alot of potential. Alot of question marks.

Washington - legal troubles, but prob ok, extremely talented
Mills - eligibilty still in question
Bradley - who knows
Johnson - small, very talented
Thompkins - coming off 2 blown ACLs
Mazour - has never really done anything
Belt - ?
Grad Transfer - rarely work out
Jones - small, more a receiver
Robinson - small, more a receiver

If Mills doesnt qualify and Bradley proves not to be a D1 back then Frost will really have to mix and match.

Really need Mills to qualify: need a bruiser for BIG10 play.

Last edited:
Was sick after seeing Thompkin's last injury. He looked really, really good! Could be a big factor after another year or so.

Alot of bodies. Alot of potential. Alot of question marks.

Washington - legal troubles, but prob ok, extremely talented
Mills - eligibilty still in question
Bradley - who knows
Johnson - small, very talented
Thompkins - coming off 2 blown ACLs
Mazour - has never really done anything
Belt - ?
Grad Transfer - rarely work out
Jones - small, more a receiver
Robinson - small, more a receiver

If Mills doesnt qualify and Bradley proves not to be a D1 back then Frost will really have to mix and match.

Really need Mills to qualify: need a bruiser for BIG10 play.

Why mention that Johnson is small? Does that make you partially right him off?

NU has a need for a bigger back, especially in terms of B1G play. Jaylin has to show if Mills doesn't make it to Lincoln.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT