• D

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • F

Votes: 12 4.0%

• Total voters

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
May not be the best time to do so, with another collapse. But why not?

4 years....0 championships.....1 regional bid that consisted of this team beating Binghamton

D. 1 regional appearance in 4 years is below average for what we should expect from this program.

C+

First three years were probably B+ material. This season was an F. I think he'd rate himself that way in 2015.

D. 1 regional appearance in 4 years is below average for what we should expect from this program.
I would agree, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt after taking over for Anderson. Although, we are not that much better now than we were 4 years ago unfortunately.

May not be the best time to do so, with another collapse. But why not?

4 years....0 championships.....1 regional bid that consisted of this team beating Binghamton

I'll give him a D+. Did some good things for the first 3 years, but took a substantial step backwards this year. Not making a regional in year 4, with the facilities we have, is a complete and utter failure.

I'll be honest I want to reiterate my grade because I don't want it to come across as negative but I give him a D- as of now. The way I look at it is its based on expectations, going to a regional was a great step up from Anderson's last few years, but in baseball things can be corrected much quicker than say the sport of football.

I personally love Coach Erstad as a person and have many conversations with him, I know he will do anything in his power to correct the issues, I wouldn't be shocked if he has an A grade at the end of next season just based on his passion and humbleness to get the job done. Nobody loves Nebraska Baseball more than Coach Erstad.

Like others have said I base it on the zero championships and the averages of our returning veterans all dropping besides Boldt and Lubach. I also think a regional appearance only is a C in itself based on the fan support and the facilities we have here at Nebraska. An A is nothing less than the CWS in my book, Supers are a B, and Regional appearance is a C or C+ depending on how long we last. Going two and BBQ in a conference tourney where 8 of 13 teams get in is a D- in my book. Only thing worse is not making the tourney entirely which is an F grade.

Results are what matter in the end and they weren't there this year, does this grade mean he can't get it straightened out? Of course not, but if you asked Coach Erstad right now he would give himself an F, which is much lower than any of our grades posted thus far.

He will be back next year and deserves to get the opportunity to right the ship based on who he is and where we were headed before this season, but the results do unfortunately speak for themselves this year.

I like Coach Erstad too. I know he loves this program and he's certainly not the a$$ that Mike Anderson could be and doesn't give excuses like Anderson did. But I think he really just may be in over his head. Great players don't always make great coaches. Hiring him was really a gamble considering he had no coaching experience. If he worked out, then it was really great for us, because we never would have to worry about losing him to another program. I think we would have been much better off hiring somebody even if we had to worry about losing them to another program eventually. Besides, I think we have the facilities and commitment to the sport to be competitive with most teams that would come calling anyway.

No emotion involved in my analysis at all. The situation isn't going to look any better tomorrow, next week, next month or several months from now than it does now. A team that had every expectation of making a regional this year and contending for the conference championship is not even going to come close to making it to a regional and finished 8th in the conference, only making it in the conference tournament by the slimmest margin possible and lost its last 6 games, including going 0-2 in the B1G tournament. That is failure to me and could be excused in season 1 or 2 or maybe even 3. Not in season 4. One postseason win over Binghamton in 4 years puts him just a level above failure for the entire 4 years to me.

No emotion involved in my analysis at all. The situation isn't going to look any better tomorrow, next week, next month or several months from now than it does now. A team that had every expectation of making a regional this year and contending for the conference championship is not even going to come close to making it to a regional and finished 8th in the conference, only making it in the conference tournament by the slimmest margin possible and lost its last 6 games, including going 0-2 in the B1G tournament. That is failure to me and could be excused in season 1 or 2 or maybe even 3. Not in season 4. One postseason win over Binghamton in 4 years puts him just a level above failure for the entire 4 years to me.
Everyone on this board is emotional today. We're fans and we're human beings and our favorite team dropped a gigantic turd on the field to end the season.

Reactions: gunNrun
D+. I'm actually more upset about his offensive style of play than I am with the results.

That's pretty ignorant considering he didn't have his first full recruiting class contribute until year 3.
I know the baseball recruiting cycle is different and hard for many to understand and your point is valide for HS kids......to some degree at least (but I cant get fully behind year 3). However, if we had immediate needs and he had one hand tied behind his back from a HS recruiting stand point then they should have hit the JC ranks harder IMO.

I'll be honest I want to reiterate my grade because I don't want it to come across as negative but I give him a D- as of now. The way I look at it is its based on expectations, going to a regional was a great step up from Anderson's last few years, but in baseball things can be corrected much quicker than say the sport of football.

I personally love Coach Erstad as a person and have many conversations with him, I know he will do anything in his power to correct the issues, I wouldn't be shocked if he has an A grade at the end of next season just based on his passion and humbleness to get the job done. Nobody loves Nebraska Baseball more than Coach Erstad.

Like others have said I base it on the zero championships and the averages of our returning veterans all dropping besides Boldt and Lubach. I also think a regional appearance only is a C in itself based on the fan support and the facilities we have here at Nebraska. An A is nothing less than the CWS in my book, Supers are a B, and Regional appearance is a C or C+ depending on how long we last. Going two and BBQ in a conference tourney where 8 of 13 teams get in is a D- in my book. Only thing worse is not making the tourney entirely which is an F grade.

Results are what matter in the end and they weren't there this year, does this grade mean he can't get it straightened out? Of course not, but if you asked Coach Erstad right now he would give himself an F, which is much lower than any of our grades posted thus far.

He will be back next year and deserves to get the opportunity to right the ship based on who he is and where we were headed before this season, but the results do unfortunately speak for themselves this year.

Everybody has their own way in rating/determining success and I won’t begrudge you yours. But this is a discussion board so I will poke at yours a little to understand better. For me personally, I lived in Indiana for nearly the entire MA regime. I don’t really have a feel for how bad the program really got. I obviously know the records, trend over years, the excuses (draft, etc…J) but there were many who thought there was some talent on those teams and the culture and coaching were the issue. Everybody probably lands in a different spot on this subject which is why rating DE after year 4 probably draws folks out on both sides of the issue.
While I firmly believe depth was an issue, I fall in the camp the cupboard wasn’t completely bare and there were some tools to work with. Therefore, I can give the new staff a modest pass for the first few years, but can’t support the full pardon many condone under the premise he didn’t get his first full recruiting class until year 3. While I do have an acute understanding of the baseball recruiting process and get that he may have had some uphill battles with HS kids in those first few years, nothing limited him from the JC ranks and if the team he inherited was devoid of talent (which I don’t believe it was) then they could/should have hit the JC ranks harder. Let’s also keep in mind the difference in recruiting with baseball being quite different than football and what many know and understand on our Husker boards, the one thing that’s consistent is it’s a non-binding commitment until their SR year. So while many top payers commit in between the sophomore and junior years of HS (summer) it doesn’t mean they are off the market in any way shape or form as they can’t sign until November of their SR year.
Now back to the ratings. The one thing that I can ignore from the MA regime (outside of the record) is the culture that appeared to be very poor. You don’t change something like that overnight and I will give DE a modest pass for that in the first few years. The last few years are directly on him. 2014 was a successful season for the most part and the step we needed to take. How anybody (including DE’s most ardent supporters) could call this season anything other than a complete disaster, would fall on deaf ears for me. He lands definitively at the C level for me and I guess where I don’t understand your rating process is that the only way he could get an A from you is if he made a CWS appearance? Did you really think that was possible in 4 years when he took over? If for example we won a regional this year you’re after qualifying for one last year your highest grade would have been a B?
Apologies if I’m misunderstanding your thought process but I can’t support that or understand the logic. Regionals should be the expectation on a yearly basis. Super’s every 3-4 years, CWS 1-2 per decade. If we get more than that then we don’t have an “A” coach, we have a legend. DVH probably doesn’t get the true credit he deserves for doing what he did here. While I don’t buy into the cold weather teams can’t compete on a consistent basis crap, it is none the less harder. DVH proved and so are a lot of others. The one thing DVH didn’t have as much of when he was doing it here was competition from other cold weather schools. Those really putting an emphasis on baseball were few and far between and many were content to leave it to the warm weather schools to battle it out. Just not the case anymore and many are getting behind the sport. Have to believe it makes DE’s job harder, but still not an excuse for his overall 4 years. Just wanted to explain my logic some.
I want him back next year; I think we all know he would be regardless of our respective opinions though. But I do believe his job will be much harder next year, than it was this year, with what has to be replaced. Now if chemistry, players not buying in, or something of the sort were a problem this year, than maybe some inexperience and the ability to develop them into what he wants will offset the lack of experience. Who the heck knows for sure? All I do know is my expectation remains the same next year and anything short of a regional is not acceptable. If we don’t get there I think our AD really needs to sit down and evaluate the direction of the program and whether we have the right staff.

Everybody has their own way in rating/determining success and I won’t begrudge you yours. But this is a discussion board so I will poke at yours a little to understand better. For me personally, I lived in Indiana for nearly the entire MA regime. I don’t really have a feel for how bad the program really got. I obviously know the records, trend over years, the excuses (draft, etc…J) but there were many who thought there was some talent on those teams and the culture and coaching were the issue. Everybody probably lands in a different spot on this subject which is why rating DE after year 4 probably draws folks out on both sides of the issue.
While I firmly believe depth was an issue, I fall in the camp the cupboard wasn’t completely bare and there were some tools to work with. Therefore, I can give the new staff a modest pass for the first few years, but can’t support the full pardon many condone under the premise he didn’t get his first full recruiting class until year 3. While I do have an acute understanding of the baseball recruiting process and get that he may have had some uphill battles with HS kids in those first few years, nothing limited him from the JC ranks and if the team he inherited was devoid of talent (which I don’t believe it was) then they could/should have hit the JC ranks harder. Let’s also keep in mind the difference in recruiting with baseball being quite different than football and what many know and understand on our Husker boards, the one thing that’s consistent is it’s a non-binding commitment until their SR year. So while many top payers commit in between the sophomore and junior years of HS (summer) it doesn’t mean they are off the market in any way shape or form as they can’t sign until November of their SR year.
Now back to the ratings. The one thing that I can ignore from the MA regime (outside of the record) is the culture that appeared to be very poor. You don’t change something like that overnight and I will give DE a modest pass for that in the first few years. The last few years are directly on him. 2014 was a successful season for the most part and the step we needed to take. How anybody (including DE’s most ardent supporters) could call this season anything other than a complete disaster, would fall on deaf ears for me. He lands definitively at the C level for me and I guess where I don’t understand your rating process is that the only way he could get an A from you is if he made a CWS appearance? Did you really think that was possible in 4 years when he took over? If for example we won a regional this year you’re after qualifying for one last year your highest grade would have been a B?
Apologies if I’m misunderstanding your thought process but I can’t support that or understand the logic. Regionals should be the expectation on a yearly basis. Super’s every 3-4 years, CWS 1-2 per decade. If we get more than that then we don’t have an “A” coach, we have a legend. DVH probably doesn’t get the true credit he deserves for doing what he did here. While I don’t buy into the cold weather teams can’t compete on a consistent basis crap, it is none the less harder. DVH proved and so are a lot of others. The one thing DVH didn’t have as much of when he was doing it here was competition from other cold weather schools. Those really putting an emphasis on baseball were few and far between and many were content to leave it to the warm weather schools to battle it out. Just not the case anymore and many are getting behind the sport. Have to believe it makes DE’s job harder, but still not an excuse for his overall 4 years. Just wanted to explain my logic some.
I want him back next year; I think we all know he would be regardless of our respective opinions though. But I do believe his job will be much harder next year, than it was this year, with what has to be replaced. Now if chemistry, players not buying in, or something of the sort were a problem this year, than maybe some inexperience and the ability to develop them into what he wants will offset the lack of experience. Who the heck knows for sure? All I do know is my expectation remains the same next year and anything short of a regional is not acceptable. If we don’t get there I think our AD really needs to sit down and evaluate the direction of the program and whether we have the right staff.
Lots of great points here. I think I can encapsulate my thoughts like this:

I felt the first three years were a solid track of progress. 1. Winning record and back in the conference tourney. 2. Miss a regional by an eyelash. 3. Make a regional. The natural next step would have been to host and/or win a regional this year. And the team was well on its way halfway through the season. But a switch was flipped somewhere and the result was an epic collapse.

So in four years, I feel there has been half of one season that was unacceptable. It's disturbing that it happened in year four. But it's much too small a part of the overall picture to decide that Erstad is a terrible coach and T.O. was an awful AD for hiring him. Heck, four full years isn't even enough to know.

Good post and appreciate the reply, we are probably thinking along the same lines in most ways and do agree that I may be looking at the grading system differently. I believe that a coach at Nebraska in the Big Ten should at minimum have a tourney title by year four. I don't think CWS is expected every year but a coaches grades are based on that imo. These grades are partially based on what Erstad expects and that's winning the national title and going to Omaha.

we have clear advantages over every other Big Ten programs have and that weighs in a little as well. I don't think he got a D- for not making the CWS every year but rather the average overall. I don't think the last two years have been considered average when you combine the results and feel the in game adjustments have been rough.

I do compare to DVH who had Buck Beltzer, zero fans, and zero history to push and was consistently competing and winning conference titles both regular season and tourney within a four year timeframe against a variety of competition. The grade can easily be an A and the longer your career goes the more sustainable your grade will become. The grade to me is like an average and with more years playing in a regional or Super regional the down years tend to not matter as much. Guys like Augie have earned a down year and Erstad hasn't reached that point yet and still has a ton to prove.

With that said, I do believe Erstad is in better shape than many may feel, I think he needs a little more pop and a little more speed but do feel he has some good young talent. At the same time I base the grade on current results and this year which is the year that reflects Erstad's coaching the most has not been a very good year in my opinion, especially the last few weeks.

At the end of the day my grade is pointless because Erstad will decide the fate of this team, not me of course. I just want to see us win again. Appreciate the reply and we probably see more eye to eye than the grades may appear. GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT