ADVERTISEMENT

Rashod Bateman not playing this year due to covid

rodger_PJ_boat_adobe_getty_ringer.0.jpg

It would be very difficult as a player to get excited about this season I would think...and if your heart isn't in it, then kudos to you for not pretending otherwise.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Makes me sad to see he caught one more TD pass than Adrian threw last year.

While I get the decision, I also think it points to the mentality of players who Frost is after: “guys who want to compete.”

Makes me sad to see he caught one more TD pass than Adrian threw last year.

While I get the decision, I also think it points to the mentality of players who Frost is after: “guys who want to compete.”
I get this, but we may see some of our guys opt out as well. Does that mean they don't want to compete? I guess I would be careful before labelling Bateman, or any others who opt out, as one who doesn't want to compete...

Minnesota was going to come crashing down to Earth anyway, no they are going to crash hard.
agree, I was in the same line of thinking. Before all this Covid stuff and Bateman leaving I thought they would be an 8 maybe 9 win team. Now with a 10 game season, covid, and Bateman. I think if they can get to 5 or 6 wins they will be doing good

Reactions: headcard
So at Washington St. a player opting out is out. No access to facilities, etc. Does stay on scholarship though.
I’m not sure if it’s like this everywhere but understand the school’s position.

So at Washington St. a player opting out is out. No access to facilities, etc. Does stay on scholarship though.
ncaa football is a business like anything else. Would you really continue giving an employee all the pay and benefits if they came to you and said they no longer wanted to work due to fear of Covid, but continued to want the health benefits, and salary. You would laugh in their face and show them the door. Im surprised they are honoring their scholarship even.

Can't agree with this. Whatever reason given, the scholarship is a condition of being a team member. If you had a third string lineman 'opt out', I think just about every school would show him the door and claw back that schollie. You can't have it both ways (Maybe you can, this world is upside down) He's dead weight. Don't bring your irrational fears into the training facility. You add nothing to the team. Go hire an agent and prepare for the draft on your own dime. My 2 cents. YMMV.

IMO this is a bit ridiculous. Being a healthy person whose had COVID, it’s really not a problem and the numbers show this for healthy people. People are starting to look at Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez as the reason athletes should be worried but don’t want to hear the whole facts. He had heart problems regardless if he had Covid or nor. Covid actually helped him realize that. Also, Baseball players aren’t all in the shape foodtball players are. Don’t have to be at top athletic form to be a MLB player

Last edited:
IMO this is a bit ridiculous. Being a healthy person whose had COVID, it’s really not a problem and the numbers show this for healthy people. People are starting to look at Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez as the reason athletes should be worried but don’t want to hear the whole facts. He had heart problems regardless if he had Covid or nor. Covid actually helped him realize that. Also, Baseball players aren’t in the shape foodtball players are. Don’t have to be at top athletic form to be a MLB player
He has covid induced myocarditis. What other facts do people not want to hear?

IMO this is a bit ridiculous. Being a healthy person whose had COVID, it’s really not a problem and the numbers show this for healthy people. People are starting to look at Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez as the reason athletes should be worried but don’t want to hear the whole facts. He had heart problems regardless if he had Covid or nor. Covid actually helped him realize that. Also, Baseball players aren’t in the shape foodtball players are. Don’t have to be at top athletic form to be a MLB player

This is incorrect.

I found it really interesting that the player from WSU felt he should still have access to all of the facilities, and even some of the practices if I remember right, but didn't want to play this year. IMO, the coach rightly said, "no". Either you are in or you're out. Consider it a gift you still have your scholarship.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think you put too much stock into his public reasoning. He just apparently doesn’t want to play a pointless season imo. Still seems a bit soft, but I get this season (if there is one) Is going to be a joke compared to normal years for the amounts of testing and quarantining they’ll be forced to endure.

I get this, but we may see some of our guys opt out as well. Does that mean they don't want to compete? I guess I would be careful before labelling Bateman, or any others who opt out, as one who doesn't want to compete...

That’s true, and on the surface we certainly shouldn’t judge any players who opt out with health/safety concerns.... unless they suddenly decide they want to play... at a different university.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
This is incorrect.
No you are incorrect.

by saying this is incorrect without any further info- you imply my total post is incorrect

So for starters - you are saying I didn’t have COVID and I was not totally fine? I worked out every day with Covid and felt ok. But apparently that’s not true? News to me

second - so you are saying the numbers don’t show that healthy people tend to beat Covid without really any complications? case and point the term high risk is used for a reason

Third - are you suggesting E Rods heart problem was caused by Covid? That’s an interesting turn of events.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
No you are incorrect.

Third - are you suggesting E Rods heart problem was caused by Covid? That’s an interesting turn of events.

I haven’t seen where he had a preexisting heart condition and his myocarditis was unrelated to COVID - have there been subsequent reports to to contrary

The COVID-related health problem that led the Red Sox to shut Eduardo Rodriguez down for a week is related to his heart, WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford reports. “There seems to be a strong possibility” that Rodriguez is suffering from the inflammation of the heart muscle known as myocarditis, which has been observed in multiple patients recovering from COVID-19.

This kid is just a realist. Baseball — which should be much easier than football — can’t even do a decent job of operating with Covid 19. Fall football is a pipe dream. Hopefully there is a slim chance in the Spring.

Reactions: BigRedRising
The COVID-related health problem that led the Red Sox to shut Eduardo Rodriguez down for a week is related to his heart, WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford reports. “There seems to be a strong possibility” that Rodriguez is suffering from the inflammation of the heart muscle known as myocarditis, which has been observed in multiple patients recovering from COVID-19.

What’s interesting is the wording by WEEI vs NBC on this. WEEI reports it as COVID related and some doctors are saying heart issue l could be COVID related but it’s such a small sample size that nothing can be concluded. Others say that these problems were already occurring and Covid amplified it. Obviously in Science you need specific proof for anything to be fact vs theory. So it’s almost a chicken and egg theory.

Regardless I’ll retract my statement about E Rod because I can’t prove it’s fact either way. What I do know about him he’s continuity had health issues all in his career.

But I won’t retract that healthy people have been fine after catching COVID by an extremely large number and extremely unlikely that anything bad will happen to them if they do catch it. Hell its unlikely you’ll even catch Covid. The numbers show this. Obviously be responsible. But We can cherry pick all we want. Might as well shut football completely down if we are going to cherry pick. Might as well stop living life if we are going to cherry pick.

What’s interesting is the wording by WEEI vs NBC on this. WEEI reports it as COVID related and some doctors are saying heart issue l could be COVID related but it’s such a small sample size that nothing can be concluded. Others say that these problems were already occurring and Covid amplified it. Obviously in Science you need specific proof for anything to be fact vs theory. So it’s almost a chicken and egg theory.

Regardless I’ll retract my statement about E Rod because I can’t prove it’s fact either way. What I do know about him he’s continuity had health issues all in his career.

But I won’t retract that healthy people have been fine after catching COVID by an extremely large number and extremely unlikely that anything bad will happen to them if they do catch it. Hell its unlikely you’ll even catch Covid. The numbers show this. Obviously be responsible. But We can cherry pick all we want. Might as well shut football completely down if we are going to cherry pick. Might as well stop living life if we are going to cherry pick.
“Others say”
Who are the “others” who are saying his heart condition isn’t covid related?

I hope none of these kids opting out have info that points toward no season. I'm convinced something bad is going to happen.

I think we’re missing the real news in all of this... Fleck’s statement refers to Minny as “an elite Big 10 program.” LOL.

No you are incorrect.

by saying this is incorrect without any further info- you imply my total post is incorrect

So for starters - you are saying I didn’t have COVID and I was not totally fine? I worked out every day with Covid and felt ok. But apparently that’s not true? News to me

second - so you are saying the numbers don’t show that healthy people tend to beat Covid without really any complications? case and point the term high risk is used for a reason

No, it's that you implied that if you are young and healthy COVID-19 is no big deal. That is not universally true and you cannot design an NCAA policy around the idea that well, a bunch of players are going to get it and only .2% are going to die. That is negligent in the extreme; they correctly freak out and sanction schools where kids die from heat exhaustion, get needlessly injured from stupid workouts or exercises, or any other hazardous activity.

In point of fact, we don't yet know enough about why some people get it and show no symptoms, or very mild ones, and some get it and get organ damage, pneumonia, need a ventilator, and/or die, other than co-morbidities that have already been identified.

Reactions: TheBeav815
No, it's that you implied that if you are young and healthy COVID-19 is no big deal. That is not universally true and you cannot design an NCAA policy around the idea that well, a bunch of players are going to get it and only .2% are going to die. That is negligent in the extreme; they correctly freak out and sanction schools where kids die from heat exhaustion, get needlessly injured from stupid workouts or exercises, or any other hazardous activity.

In point of fact, we don't yet know enough about why some people get it and show no symptoms, or very mild ones, and some get it and get organ damage, pneumonia, need a ventilator, and/or die, other than co-morbidities that have already been identified.

I like how you say my post is incorrect but that we don’t know enough about it. So instead of “incorrect” maybe you should say “inconclusive”?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT