ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the B1G at end of reg season

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
Throwing records out, who are the top 8 football teams in the B1G at the end of the regular season? How would you seed that 8 team tournament (if it was a sport that had a year end tourney)?

I am full on admitting I have no idea how you would rank them! I can't even decide who is number one, let alone 2-8. What a cluster! I think Nebraska makes the tournament, but that means their oppenent on Friday does as well. Does Purdue make it, even after dismantling Buckeyes earlier in the year? PSU, Northwestern, osu, UofM, iowa, and the Huskers are in, but who are the other two? Rutgers, MSU, Illini, and Indiana are out, in my opinion... So that leaves badgers, gophers, boilermakers, and turtles. Who are the top 8 and can you rank/seed them according to their play at the end of the season?

It's a challenge!

1) OSU
2) Michigan
3) PSU
4) NW
5) Iowa
6) NU
7) Minnesota
8) Wisconsin

I'll take a stab at it. These are meant to be "power rankings" not standings...

(Forgot Minnesota blew out Wiscy today fixed that)

Reactions: scarletred
1) OSU
2) Michigan
3) PSU
4) NW
5) Iowa
6) NU
7) Wisconsin
8) Minnesota

Looks about right, but NW went 8-1 and won the West might get the edge over PSU..

Reactions: HuskerinPA
Would be a good game. Shame NW didn't play OSU or PSU this year. Well I guess they'll get their shot at OSU next week. I'll be a big Wildcats fan that day!

Had to help in winning the West..

They also made their luck and had Wisconsin at the right time..

Reactions: HuskerinPA
Top 4

tOSU
Michigan
Northwestern
PSU

Next eight interchangeable

Illinois
Rutgers.

Done. I’ve got money on a certain team going 8-5, so I can only root for the B1G teams I don’t have money on during bowl season.

Reactions: kakdawg and 9and4
Top 4

tOSU
Michigan
Northwestern
PSU

Next eight interchangeable

Illinois
Rutgers.

Done. I’ve got money on a certain team going 8-5, so I can only root for the B1G teams I don’t have money on during bowl season.
Woo-hoo! We're (one of eight teams that could claim to be) No. 5!!!!!

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
1) OSU
2) Michigan
3) PSU
4) NW
5) Iowa
6) NU
7) Minnesota
8) Wisconsin

(Forgot Minnesota blew out Wiscy today fixed that)

I'm an Iowa fan. Iowa is in no way #5. And haven't been since the losses at PSU and against NW at home. It is very clear they have played poorly since then. I think Kfer thought he needed a blow out, something he isn't prone to do, against Illinois to attempt to save the season.

If by chance Nebraska had to play Wisconsin and Purdue in November I would have liked our chances of winning those games instead of the first 2 of 3 in conference play..

Reactions: jonskers
Nebraska would have played Wiscy close, maybe won. Purdue is an odd duck. Gets up for big games, and Nebby would have been a big game for them.

As it is, college football has a very long and painful off season. One had better get used to enjoying the process.

Nebraska would be in the top 8 over Wisconsin to end the year. What a turn of events for Wisconsin. The Badgers are like MSU and in total disarray to end the season.

Reactions: Bremser
One could argue that Nebraska is ahead of Northwestern.... Wait, no, they are the best of the west! Strange strange year for sure!

Frost really is a miracle worker. Who would have thought 4-8 wouldn’t be 4-8, but rather more like 7-5?
This is not the same team that went 0-6. This team went 4-2 took Ohio St, and Iowa to the wire and beat Mich St. Right now I think Nebraska sits 6th or 7th in the BIG10. With Ohio St, Mich, NW,Penn St for sure ahead of us. US, Wisc, Purdue, Iowa. Mich St, on the save level. All else a touch below.

The top 4-5 are fairly stable with OSU, MI, PSU, NW and Iowa. The bottom with Rutgers, Illinois, and Indiana are set as well. For those teams, most weeks you know what you will get.

The teams from 6-11 are all flawed in multiple ways and are very inconsistent. Each week was a crapshoot with how a team would play. To me, Minnesota and Purdue were the most baffling. The Gophers had 1-8 written all over them after the Illinois debacle, yet end up whipping Wisky and Purdue. Purdue whips OSU and falling flat the rest of the year could be due to the Louisville distraction, but still, after OSU I thought they may win the west.

My guess is the Huskers would fall into the middle of the pack, anywhere from 7-8 on a given day. If they played all the games over today, I don’t know if they would win but I bet the Purdue, Wisky and Michigan games would be closer than the original games. Our inability to shut down the run keeps the outcomes of those games in doubt if replayed. We still whip Lovie’s boys and sink the boat rowers. I don’t think the Huskers would want anything to do with the OSU team that showed up vs the Wolverines. Who knows what would happen with Northwestern. They’ve been outplayed by the Huskers two years in a row and pulled the win out of their asses both times.

1) OSU
2) Michigan
3) Northwestern
4) PSU
5) Iowa
6) Wisconsin
7) Purdue
8) Michigan State

One could argue that Nebraska is ahead of Northwestern.... Wait, no, they are the best of the west! Strange strange year for sure!

I believe it to be indicative of the years to come for the West. Meaning, it's easy pickings for Nebraska to dominate the next decade.
I agree. It looks like Wisconsin is falling back to earth. Iowa and Northwestern will always just be average or slightly above. Illinois is weak. Minnesota is an unknown.

Frost and Nebraska have the highest ceiling and I don’t think anyone would argue that.

I have trouble giving the Huskers to much credit until they finish a game like the one last Friday! It is a game they should have won, as there were several other games this year just like that one. If there were only one or two of those outliers it would be different. However it is realistic to say that the only team that really beat the Huskers was Michigan. Every other game the Huskers could have just as easily won as lost. A team that is on the uprise should have won at least as many of those as they lost. It could be said there were eight of those games and the Huskers won one of them. Yes I know the Huskers won 4 games, but realistically Bethune Cookman, Minnesota, and Illinois were solid Husker victories just as Michigan was a solid loss!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT