8) Nebraska
9) Tennessee
10) Penn State
11) LSU
12) Georgia
13) Florida State
14) Clemson
15) Auburn

Note: I omitted Miami. Just don’t think they have the fan support anymore to warrant blue blood status.

Tennessee may surprise you, but they still are the 2nd winningest program in the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: Flick2.0
You can drop Nebraska from the list, no one considers us to be a blue blood program anymore.
No we are definitely a blue blood and the original post is actually pretty spot on minus Clemson could be higher. Blue Bloods are decided based on what your program has done since football became relevant (I would say it became relevant with the Notre Dame 4 horseman).

With that said if you were to give this list to a random fan in let's say Vermont. They would would first wonder what the hell is Nebraska, Tennessee and Florida State on that list for. They would rank it like this.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Notre Dame
5. LSU
6. USC
7. Texas
8. Oklahoma
9. Georgia
10. Michigan
11. Auburn
12. Penn State
13. Florida State
14. Nebraska
15. Tennessee

Reactions: zrob and saluno22
There is heavy weighting toward historical achievements with regards to blue bloods

Neb is and will remain a blue blood for some time

but if you use all time great civilizations as an analogy - Nebraska football would be the Greek empire

definitely an all time great but completely irrelevant in current times

Our AD and coach don't even consider us a blueblood anymore, so it's going to be hard to justify keeping Nebraska in that list after last week IMO. I like to think we are...I want to believe we are...but last week was pretty bad. I wonder what we'll screw up this week?

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
I hate this topic. I'm not against it being important to some people, it just doesn't percolate for me. Who cares? I'm not necessarily a "what have you done for me lately?" guy, but more like "what have you done for me in the last decade?" If Nebraska is a blue blood, great. I still can't really remember the last time I enjoyed a football season.

I hate this topic. I'm not against it being important to some people, it just doesn't percolate for me. Who cares? I'm not necessarily a "what have you done for me lately?" guy, but more like "what have you done for me in the last decade?" If Nebraska is a blue blood, great. I still can't really remember the last time I enjoyed a football season.

The poster isn’t a Nebraska fan and just stirring the pot..

This blue blood stuff always gets used for click bait..

Blue Bloods are made through out time of history with criteria of winning pct, Bowl games, Bowl game wins, conference and national championships..

The poster isn’t a Nebraska fan and just stirring the pot..

This blue blood stuff always gets used for click bait..

Blue Bloods are made through out time of history with criteria of winning pct, Bowl games, Bowl game wins, conference and national championships..
We haven't been to a bowl game in 4 years now.. like wise losing seasons for 4 years.. the last conference championship was how long ago? 20 years? A division title only back during Bo Pelini's years (I think)..

Sure we had earned it a long time ago, but it's been a long time since we have done anything like we used to.

We haven't been to a bowl game in 4 years now.. like wise losing seasons for 4 years.. the last conference championship was how long ago? 20 years? A division title only back during Bo Pelini's years (I think)..

Sure we had earned it a long time ago, but it's been a long time since we have done anything like we used to.
You’re not telling me anything I already don’t know...

Since hiring Riley the program is at it’s worst since the Bill Jennings era..

1) Alabama
2) Norte Dame
3) Ohio St
4) Oklahoma
5) USC
6) Michigan
7) Texas
8) Nebraska
9) Tennessee
10) Penn State
11) LSU
12) Georgia
13) Florida State
14) Clemson
15) Auburn

Note: I omitted Miami. Just don’t think they have the fan support anymore to warrant blue blood status.

Tennessee may surprise you, but they still are the 2nd winningest program in the SEC.

In 1972, would Minnesota have been considered blue blood? They won a national title 12 years earlier and two in the 40s, about25 years earlier just like Nebraska now. Minnesota won several more national titles before the WW2.

Reactions: Oiler402
In 1972, would Minnesota have been considered blue blood? They won a national title 12 years earlier and two in the 40s, about25 years earlier just like Nebraska now. Minnesota won several more national titles before the WW2.

Why don’t you look it up yourself?

Since 1972 Minnesota has a record 260-308 with a winning pct of 0.45

So in the next 55 years if this continues you would have made your point...

Post this in another 55 years..

Minnesota being national champs in 1960 is like Nebraska being national champs in 1983..

Reactions: headcard
1) Alabama
2) Norte Dame
3) Ohio St
4) Oklahoma
5) USC
6) Michigan
7) Texas
8) Nebraska
9) Tennessee
10) Penn State
11) LSU
12) Georgia
13) Florida State
14) Clemson
15) Auburn

I would put OU above Texas. Seven NC to four. OU has remained in national conversation and winning conference while Texas has struggled in the Big 12.

Reactions: Cornicator

Minnesota being national champs in 1960 is like Nebraska being national champs in 1983..

No, now, not 55 years from now. Nebraska in 2021 = Minnesota in 1972 as far as blue blood credentials.

No, now, not 55 years from now. Nebraska in 2021 = Minnesota in 1972 as far as blue blood credentials.

Last 21 years Nebraska is 30th in winning pct among Division 1 schools..In 1972 Minnesota was 15th in winning pct and Nebraska was 17th in winning pct..Minnesota since 1972 is 84 in winning pct 0.457..

There is heavy weighting toward historical achievements with regards to blue bloods

Neb is and will remain a blue blood for some time

but if you use all time great civilizations as an analogy - Nebraska football would be the Greek empire

definitely an all time great but completely irrelevant in current times
and yet, there are still some folks who, for seemingly no reason, insist on earning a phD in all things Nebraska

thanks for keeping us relevant, even if only between your own two ears

Last 21 years Nebraska is 30th in winning pct among Division 1 schools..In 1972 Minnesota was 15th in winning pct and Nebraska was 17th in winning pct..Minnesota since 1972 is 84 in winning pct 0.457..

I'm not one to get happy about being a Blue Blood program while we suck toads. I'm much more concerned with winning and competing for BIG championships again.

Maybe we need to come to an agreement as to what is a Blue blood. Establish that and the panty wringing lessens

But when was Minnesota no longer considered a blue blood? Since I can remember watching (1998), they weren't. That was 38 years after their last national title.

We're currently 23 years removed from our last title, so we have at most 15 years left of mediocre football before we're just the next Minnesota. And probably less, because I'm sure Minnesota lost their status well before 1998.

We're hanging onto a thread, and that thread is our fan support. Once the sellout streak is dead and our stadium is consistently 75% full, we will officially have lost blue blood status.

But when was Minnesota no longer considered a blue blood? Since I can remember watching (1998), they weren't. That was 38 years after their last national title.

We're currently 23 years removed from our last title, so we have at most 15 years left of mediocre football before we're just the next Minnesota. And probably less, because I'm sure Minnesota lost their status well before 1998.

We're hanging onto a thread, and that thread is our fan support. Once the sellout streak is dead and our stadium is consistently 75% full, we will officially have lost blue blood status.

Minnesota has 32 losing seasons since 1960 when they supposedly won that national title they lost in the Rose Bowl..

Nebraska has 7 losings since 1962..

Is the sell out streak still truly ongoing? I have my doubts.

Reactions: Flick2.0
Minnesota has 32 losing seasons since 1960 when they supposedly won that national title they lost in the Rose Bowl..

Nebraska has 7 losings since 1962..

Championships mean more than anything else. The fact that NU hasn't won a championship of any kind so far this century dogs us much more than the relatively low number of losing seasons.

Championships mean more than anything else. The fact that NU hasn't won a championship of any kind so far this century dogs us much more than the relatively low number of losing seasons.

Nebraska has 46 outright or shared conference titles
Minnesota has 18 outright or shared conference titles

Reactions: jimjim47
Three standout over the others over several decades:

Alabama, OSU and Oklahoma.

Alabama's recent success speaks for itself. Enough said. But they did have a few sub-standard, losing seasons in the early 2000s. But the run Saban has been on is unmatched - PERIOD

I read where OSU has only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 60s - one in one of John Cooper's first seasons and the other in Luke Fickell's 2011 season when they went 6-7. Just mind-boggling.

Oklahoma - see OSU to just a little lesser degree. Also the model for consistency. They've been in the national spotlight - like Alabama and OSU - forever without any long downturns.

The other note with the top three is they have all dominated their conference - or been in the running - for 6 or 7 decades now. And it starts with winning your conference - for the most part

I don't consider Clemson a blueblood like a couple of others on this thread. Yes, Dabo has them rolling bigtime recently but they have been absent nationally over a few of the most recent decades.

Other bluebloods - ND, USC, Michigan. etc... have been successful over several decades but nowhere near the level of Alabama, OSU, and Oklahoma

1) Alabama
2) Norte Dame
3) Ohio St
4) Oklahoma
5) USC
6) Michigan
7) Texas
8) Nebraska
9) Tennessee
10) Penn State
11) LSU
12) Georgia
13) Florida State
14) Clemson
15) Auburn

I'd put us above Texas and close to Michigan. I'd rate Oklahoma #1, and Notre Dame is way too high on your list. I consider 1950+ to be the modern era of college football. Teams that racked up their wins and championships in the early 20th century I don't value as highly as the modern era.

I have a friend who is CFO of a company that buys on average 80 tickets per game when needed by the athletic department to keep the sellout streak. They in turn give them away, but in recent years can't get rid of all of them.
This happens a lot.

Is there one of these calculations done annually. Judging by the date of the tweet, one could assume that 2 consecutive losing seasons might factor into the calculations. Basically every criteria listed, we have about 0 points, except maybe a draft pick or 2.

In the 1920's, Minnesota was THE TEAM in America. Are they a blue blood, no.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT