ADVERTISEMENT

Rank Husker coaches since Devaney

Yes, but he won with Osborne’s recruits. He took a program that was at the pinnacle of college football and drove it into mediocrity. I admit, it is close between Pelini and Solich. They are almost interchangeable.

Saying he won with Osborne recruits a couple of years later is a cop out..

Yes, but he won with Osborne’s recruits. He took a program that was at the pinnacle of college football and drove it into mediocrity. I admit, it is close between Pelini and Solich. They are almost interchangeable.
They both had their best years with someone else's recruits. Pelini came close to a conference championship in 2009. But the fact that he didn't get there puts him below Solich on my list.

Dr. Tom
Solich
Bo
Callahan
Frost
Barney Cotton
Who ever took over for Bo when he went to the hospital
Riley

I’ll say Tom because he coached longer
Bob
Frank the beginning of the down hill slide
this hurt me but bozo although he gave up and wanted out after 4 years
hillbilly c his defense sucked he took the job didn’t want To fit in and would have bolted as soon as nfl came calling if he would have been successful
frost he still has a outside chance of coming in third, he actually deeply care about the program but something isn’t meshing
Riley he never wanted to fit in he didn’t care he just came for one thing, a big pay day

Reactions: leodisflowers
Basing it off wins and losses Frost is the worst. Basing it off the eye test Frost is a little ahead of Riley with potential. Had Frost not played for Nebraska he is probably fired if this season continues to spiral.

Osborne
Pelini
Solich
Callahan
Riley
Frost
I'd agree with this ranking - it's close between Pelini and Solich, but I'll give a slight edge to Pelini for the following reasons: 1) Solich inherited a National Championship team and blew it within four years 2) Pelini had to deal with a disadvantageous conference change after his third year

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I put Devaney #1 and Osborne #2, after that is everybody else in no particular order.

One point that needs to be made is Osborne benefited greatly from having Devaney as AD during the vast majority of his tenure. Though he was winning 9+ games a year, Osborne was under fire from fans, regents, etc. for not beating Oklahoma, struggling at winning the opening game of the season from 76 - 81, few outright conference titles, and a 7 game bowl losing streak. There were times during the 70's and 80's when fans wanted Osborne fired. If the AD had been anyone other than Devaney for those first 20 seasons Osborne may not have lasted long enough to make his 60 - 3 run.

We shouldn’t use the “it’s a Covid year excuse”. We have glaring and constant issues that will more than likely be there next year. In terms of not practicing enough, we’ve had more practices than Northwestern and Illinois (because their state restricted it) and they both kicked our teeth in. We’re not good and accept it, no excuses attached. Now as a fan, I have hope that we can improve but let’s see.

I put Devaney #1 and Osborne #2, after that is everybody else in no particular order.

One point that needs to be made is Osborne benefited greatly from having Devaney as AD during the vast majority of his tenure. Though he was winning 9+ games a year, Osborne was under fire from fans, regents, etc. for not beating Oklahoma, struggling at winning the opening game of the season from 76 - 81, few outright conference titles, and a 7 game bowl losing streak. There were times during the 70's and 80's when fans wanted Osborne fired. If the AD had been anyone other than Devaney for those first 20 seasons Osborne may not have lasted long enough to make his 60 - 3 run.
Good point about Devaney being a TO booster/protector. Also, no one could schmooze with boosters, legislators, governors, the press and thousands of ordinary fans like AD Devaney.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
TO
Bob Father
Solich
Bo
Callahan
Frost
Riley

I do think some of these are close and you could make an argument to interchange some.

Bob/Tom. I went with TO as I think he was the best, most innovative coach of all time. But none of this would have ever happened without Bob.

Solich had so much success it’s hard not to put him third, but he also took over a program at the pinnacle of college football and it went downhill fast.

Bo brought stability to constancy when we needed it. Solid if unspectacular (and embarrassing).

Callahan almost pulled off a complete overhaul, probably would have if he could have found a great DC.

Frost inherited a losing program and has not made it any better. Riley turned it into a loser and it’s Frost job to fix it, he hasn’t.

Riley took an 9-10 win team and turned it into a mess, that was even worse than it’s record. Hard to imagine a worse hire at the time and place.

Reactions: scarletred
TO
Bob Father
Solich
Bo
Callahan
Frost
Riley

I do think some of these are close and you could make an argument to interchange some.

Bob/Tom. I went with TO as I think he was the best, most innovative coach of all time. But none of this would have ever happened without Bob.

Solich had so much success it’s hard not to put him third, but he also took over a program at the pinnacle of college football and it went downhill fast.

Bo brought stability to constancy when we needed it. Solid if unspectacular (and embarrassing).

Callahan almost pulled off a complete overhaul, probably would have if he could have found a great DC.

Frost inherited a losing program and has not made it any better. Riley turned it into a loser and it’s Frost job to fix it, he hasn’t.

Riley took an 9-10 win team and turned it into a mess, that was even worse than it’s record. Hard to imagine a worse hire at the time and place.

Pretty much how would write it except Devaney turned the program into which no Husker fan would have imagined of course Osborne had a hand in that but so did Monte Kiffen and Warren Powers and some other assistance that Devaney had been with since High school..

Shawn Eichorst put this program back a half decade with his imbecile hire, and Frost hasn’t fixed it yet and this being the 3rd year the fan base is getting impatient...

Reactions: headcard
When one can objectively look at the last 10 years of Nebraska football and say that Tommy Armstrong has been clear cut best QB we've had, well...that doesn't speak well of how we have recruited and developed the position. There hasn't been a single QB on the roster for the last 15 years (outside of maybe Zac Taylor) that would be likely to start at any other program.
We have had excellent qb recruiting. There just hasn't been any development. Remember, both Tmart and Amart were on preseason Heisman watch lists. That tells me the talent was there, we just haven't developed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT