ADVERTISEMENT

Rank Husker coaches since Devaney

Sodakred

Sophomore
Jul 31, 2018
Chandler, AZ
1. Devaney. He inherited a decade of incompetence even worse than the past decade -- if that is possible -- and flipped the script almost immediately.

2. TO. He immediately kept the standard at a Devaney-level. It did however take him 20 years to win his first NC, something Devaney did in less than a decade -- albeit with a huge assist from a bright offensive coordinator named Osborne.

3. Solich. We definitely tailed off from TO days, but he did get us into the NC 2002 Rose Bowl. Even at his current age, I would be thrilled if he was our coach — and I never thought I would say that after he was canned. Who knew how hard it would be to upgrade?

4. BoPeep. As much as he was a douche, his nine win seasons would now be considered great successes no matter the two or three blowout losses each year.

5. (Tie) F’n Hillbillies Hater, Smiling Mike and Frowning Frost. They have all been about as successful as the coaches in the 1950’s. Maybe there is hope for Frost a few years from now, but see Devaney above for a reminder that greatness doesn't require a five year+ plan even if the cupboard is pretty bare.

Your turn...

Frost is Solich part 2 if you've bothered at all watching an offense that is completely run through the qb. You are getting a glimpse of what Nebraska would have been like under Solich without TO players.

I will go when each Head Coach had it’s rock bottom game when you thought the program wouldn’t recover..

Devaney- November 23, 1968, Oklahoma 47 Nebraska 0

Osborne- November 23 1990, Oklahoma 45 Nebraska 10

Solich - November 15 2003, Kansas St 38 Nebraska 9

Callahan- (2) October 9 2004, Texas Tech 70 Nebraska 10
October 20 2007, Texas A&M 36 Nebraska 14

Pelini- (2) December 1, 2012 Wisconsin 70 Nebraska 31
November 15 2014. Wisconsin 59 Nebraska 24

Riley- November 25 2016, Ioway 40 Nebraska 10

Up to Date
Frost- November 21 2020, Illinois 41 Nebraska 23

Frost is Solich part 2 if you've bothered at all watching an offense that is completely run through the qb. You are getting a glimpse of what Nebraska would have been like under Solich without TO players.

Solich was Head Coach for Nebraska for 7 years..

I disagree with your analogy..

Reactions: DaServo
We were in the National Championship/Rose Bowl game in Frank’s 4th year so a significant amount of the team were Solich recruits. But I will admit his recruiting fell short of TO, especially the offense Iine. The Pipeline dried up post-TO and has never recovered.

We were in the National Championship/Rose Bowl game in Frank’s 4th year so a significant amount of the team were Solich recruits. But I will admit his recruiting fell short of TO, especially the offense Iine. The Pipeline dried up post-TO and has never recovered.
The “Pipeline”. Good grief, I had forgotten completely about that name until you refreshed my memory. Sad, sad time to be a Husker fan.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Osborne and Devaney are legends. Not just in Nebraska, but nationally.

The rest of those guys aren’t worthy of having their names on the same list with those two.

The one other Head Coach having their name with those two would be “Bummy” Booth who had a .845 winning percentage Coaching Nebraska for 6 years..

Only Dana X Bible coached 8 years no other coach’s not named Devaney or Osborne coached more..

Reactions: 54T and bigboxes
Dr. Tom
Solich
Bo
Callahan
Riley
Frost

This is the worst I have ever seen Nebraska look—ever. With Frost, the team still has all the problems of the Riley era but adds a few more. Little things—like players not knowing how to substitute correctly and an offense that couldn’t move the ball across the average neighborhood street.

Say what you will about Riley, but he led us to 9 wins and had us (briefly) ranked in the Top 10. If he hadn’t fired Banker, he probably would have bottomed out as a 6 or 7 win coach for a few more years before retiring. How far have we fallen that a 6 win season and a win in the Foster Farms Bowl suddenly seems out of reach?

Dr. Tom
Solich
Bo
Callahan
Riley
Frost

This is the worst I have ever seen Nebraska look—ever. With Frost, the team still has all the problems of the Riley era but adds a few more. Little things—like players not knowing how to substitute correctly and an offense that couldn’t move the ball across the average neighborhood street.

Say what you will about Riley, but he led us to 9 wins and had us (briefly) ranked in the Top 10. If he hadn’t fired Banker, he probably would have bottomed out as a 6 or 7 win coach for a few more years before retiring. How far have we fallen that a 6 win season and a win in the Foster Farms Bowl suddenly seems out of reach?
If I recall we only got into FF Bowl because so many teams had bad records as did we, but our student grades were better than most. That’s pathetic, but I am glad I attended. We won the game and heaven knows when we will ever be in another bowl game.

Devaney was John the Baptist of Nebraska
Osborne was Jesus

Not being blasphemous here just painting a picture. Nebraska has no players. Osborne should not have been able to have the continued success through the 25 seasons he did and finish his last 5 years with a 60-3 record with 3 titles and 4 title game appearances. He was so humble he thought he could hand it off and it will still keep going without him. He should have stayed another 4 years and got another title or two. Joe Gibbs admits to stealing from him for Christ's sake.

Osborne
Devaney
Solich
Pelini
Callahan-i would kill to have Callahan right now
Riley
Frost

Hindsight...

After the 2003 season, Steve Pederson fired Frank Solich after a 9-3 season. Bo Pelini was his defensive coordinator. Bo was named Interim HC and led Nebraska to an Alamo Bowl win against Michigan State. He lobbied for the top job, but Steve went with Bill Callahan.

It was debated ad nauseam whether Bo would have been willing to stay as DC after being snubbed. Maybe not. But Bill Callahan doomed himself by bringing in his buddy Kevin Cosgrove. I just wonder, if he had retained Bo as DC... could it all have turned out very differently?

Hindsight...

After the 2003 season, Steve Pederson fired Frank Solich after a 9-3 season. Bo Pelini was his defensive coordinator. Bo was named Interim HC and led Nebraska to an Alamo Bowl win against Michigan State. He lobbied for the top job, but Steve went with Bill Callahan.

It was debated ad nauseam whether Bo would have been willing to stay as DC after being snubbed. Maybe not. But Bill Callahan doomed himself by bringing in his buddy Kevin Cosgrove. I just wonder, if he had retained Bo as DC... could it all have turned out very differently?
I always found it interesting that Steve Pederson lets Frank go, immediately names Bo the interim head coach but then he and Harvey didn't give Bo the time of day to be the new head coach. I am not saying Bo was the long term answer but Callahan might have been here for a number of years if he would have cut his buddy Cosgrove loose and found a quality defensive coordinator.

Barney Cotton’s one game sample in 2014 puts him light years ahead of frost

would put Papuchis and Beck ahead of frost for the half they shared duties when bo left for the hospital in 2012

Last edited:
Barney Cotton’s one game sample in 2014 puts him light years ahead of frost

would put Papuchis and Beck ahead of frost for the half they shared duties when bo left for the hospital in 2012

And I have a sample for you 🖕🏼

The one other Head Coach having their name with those two would be “Bummy” Booth who had a .845 winning percentage Coaching Nebraska for 6 years..

Only Dana X Bible coached 8 years no other coach’s not named Devaney or Osborne coached more..

Jumbo Stiehm? 5 years .913 winning percentage. 35-2-3 in 5 years. Not only was he our football coach, but also our basketball coach where he went 55-14 over 4 years. Unfortunately for the Huskers our administration were a bunch of cheapskates and it cost us our best coach ever up to that time. He was so good that the Rose Bowl was considering Nebraska in 1915 but the admin thought it would be too expensive. Stiehm asked for a $750 raise and Nebraska turned him down...Indiana stole him away.

Reactions: scarletred
This thread is absolutely hilarious!

1. Just 4 years ago, Frost was the savior of our program.
2. Same was said for Bo in 2007
3. Does everyone seem to forget Covid-19 may be playing a small factor in this season? Penn State is 0-5 people, with a known good coach?

Frost is definitely not performing great right now, but his quarterbacks couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Now this is where I see the problem. All you idiots on this board always think there is something better and force people out before they have a chance to do shit. You ready to bring in #8 on that list, because from the lists I've seen you all post each coach is worse than the previous one.

I blame the fans for the position we are in right now end of story. You mf's run everyone out of town once they lose a f'n game

Reactions: ADV1 and WHCSC

...then reality sunk in
...then reality sunk in
3. Does everyone seem to forget Covid-19 may be playing a small factor in this season? Penn State is 0-5 people, with a known good coach?
...tell that to Northwestern

Frost is definitely not performing great right now, but his quarterbacks couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
...maybe he shouldn't have run off the 3 quarterbacks that are starting for D-I programs...or turned down a Heisman winning transfer.

Now this is where I see the problem. All you idiots on this board always think there is something better and force people out before they have a chance to do shit. You ready to bring in #8 on that list, because from the lists I've seen you all post each coach is worse than the previous one.

At some point Frost, and his $5M paycheck, need to be held accountable. You aren't there yet, but a lot of people are.

I blame the fans for the position we are in right now end of story. You mf's run everyone out of town once they lose a f'n game

Hahahaha

Tell that to Northwestern... That is the point. Indiana and Northwestern are two of the top teams in the Big 10.

That tells you we suck...

That tells me there is no way in hell I'm going to chalk this up to an actual year of football

Tell that to Northwestern... That is the point. Indiana and Northwestern are two of the top teams in the Big 10.

That tells you we suck...

That tells me there is no way in hell I'm going to chalk this up to an actual year of football

I do agree with you about not being a normal season because of COVID 19 and we missed valuable practice time that this team need in the spring but my God we keep seeing the same things over and over and we’re not getting better we’re getting worse except strength and conditioning..

Chin’s defense allows close to 500 yards a game and opponents have scored 31 points or more 17 of the last 28 games...

Covid is not an excuse as we are only play league teams and they had to follow the same schedules as the Huskers have had to follow.

Reactions: Frozone
Covid is not an excuse as we are only play league teams and they had to follow the same schedules as the Huskers have had to follow.

Makes a difference when you didn’t have bowl practice from the year before..

Receptions for receivers outside of Wandale Robinson

Betts - 5
Flemming - 5
Falck - 5
Warner - 3
Oliver - 2
Brown - 1

21 catches for receivers THROUGH 4 GAMES... Robinson's receptions should not count, because most of them are dumps behind the line of scrimmage.

Our Quarterback play is atrocious, and that falls on Verduzco, Martinez and Frost. I will give you all that, but McCaffrey is a Freshman with Covid reps. He gets a pass from me.

You can say Defense sucks...or Line play sucks... but where it starts and ends is in the fact we do not have a quarterback that can hit a receiver in open space.

Is Covid and his quarterback also responsible for game plans, game management, in game adjustments, player development, or hell.....even just making sure that there are enough players on the field during a freaking punt?

Or is that just something us mfers shouldn't question?

Just curious.

Our Quarterback play is atrocious, and that falls on Verduzco, Martinez and Frost. I will give you all that, but McCaffrey is a Freshman with Covid reps. He gets a pass from me.

Here are some stats from another freshman QB with Covid reps.

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

When one can objectively look at the last 10 years of Nebraska football and say that Tommy Armstrong has been clear cut best QB we've had, well...that doesn't speak well of how we have recruited and developed the position. There hasn't been a single QB on the roster for the last 15 years (outside of maybe Zac Taylor) that would be likely to start at any other program.

Reactions: HuskerDana
When one can objectively look at the last 10 years of Nebraska football and say that Tommy Armstrong has been clear cut best QB we've had, well...that doesn't speak well of how we have recruited and developed the position. There hasn't been a single QB on the roster for the last 15 years (outside of maybe Zac Taylor) that would be likely to start at any other program.

Yes, the all big ten qb who you always had a huge boner for would not have started at any other program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT