ADVERTISEMENT

Raiola was the better QB

Husker4real

Senior
Nov 25, 2017
The 4q overthrow will haunt him (and us), but he was damn good tonight. The difference between he and Altmeyer is that Nebraska receivers were covered most of the night. Illinois receivers were running remarkably open all game. Altmeyer could have completed passes with his other arm if he wanted. Hell, he could have dropped kicked balls to his receivers.

The 4q overthrow will haunt him (and us), but he was damn good tonight. The difference between he and Altmeyer is that Nebraska receivers were covered most of the night. Illinois receivers were running remarkably open all game. Altmeyer could have completed passes with his other arm if he wanted. Hell, he could have dropped kicked balls to his receivers.
Illinois was better in almost every phase except QB, and Altmeyer was terrific. NU's running game isn't where I hoped it would be. Raiola is a difference-maker. We just need to keep recruiting guys that are elite talents to go with him.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Illinois was better in almost every phase except QB, and Altmeyer was terrific. NU's running game isn't where I hoped it would be. Raiola is a difference-maker. We just need to keep recruiting guys that are elite talents to go with him.
You don’t need 5* talent to beat the Illinois of the world

You need an identity

We proved that last year, and are proving it again this year

Rhule has this year and this year alone to cash in on any success Raiola has. If the losses pile up elite talent isn’t coming here to back Raiola up.

You need the right identity. But we proved that both last year and this so your point stands.
Power football always wins in the end

Pussyfooting looks fun and can be exciting, but the teams hoisting the trophies at the end of the season do so by exerting their will on their opponents even when they know what’s coming

I can't stress it enough but I realize that some guys just can't grasp that. We are a losing program till we prove otherwise, pretty simple.
Everyone bought into the media hype. The red flags were there and very few listened or paid attention to it. Rhule just got outcoached by a toad with an average ball club. A year and a third into his nebraska tenure, he is 8-8. Sometimes a .500 coach is just that- a 500 coach. He has not proved shit here, but thankfully he has 8 more games to that. I am not so sure that he will.

This team was not prepared to play tonight. Look at the body language and lack of enthusiasm. That is what .500 coaches do.

Everyone bought into the media hype. The red flags were there and very few listened or paid attention to it. Rhule just got outcoached by a toad with an average ball club. A year and a third into his nebraska tenure, he is 8-8. Sometimes a .500 coach is just that- a 500 coach. He has not proved shit here, but thankfully he has 8 more games to that. I am not so sure that he will.
The closer game time came the more I doubted we would win. I should be betting again. Oh, most of this board has short term memory ....bad...it almost needs to be studied.

Reactions: Chuck003
We need an o-line. I have not seen a real one here since rex and ameer were around. Watch then get off the bus and you can see it. Look at other B1G teams dudes and you can see it. We are small and weak. Cam Jurgens was the last one we had, and he was just 1 guy. Until we upgrade our dudes, we will forever get pushed around

Reactions: headcard
We need an o-line. I have not seen a real one here since rex and ameer were around. Watch then get off the bus and you can see it. Look at other B1G teams dudes and you can see it. We are small and weak. Cam Jurgens was the last one we had, and he was just 1 guy. Until we upgrade our dudes, we will forever get pushed around
I'm all about the lines. It has proven to be one of our glaring weaknesses. Till we get Big ten talent , we lose.

The issue of this game was sloppy penalties and lack of defensive adjustments. We had multiple opportunities to pull ahead and missed multiple opportunities. But they shouldn’t have been necessary. Our defensive game plan was terrible and I’m shocked we didn’t adjust when they kept running the same 3 yards plays.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The issue of this game was sloppy penalties and lack of defensive adjustments. We had multiple opportunities to pull ahead and missed multiple opportunities. But they shouldn’t have been necessary. Our defensive game plan was terrible and I’m shocked we didn’t adjust when they kept running the same 3 yards plays.
We did have opportunities to pull ahead. That we didn't is on the OC. We shouldn't give up the yards we did to Illinois or the 24 points in regulation. But we should be able to beat Illinois if we only give up 24 points in regulation.

Power football always wins in the end

Pussyfooting looks fun and can be exciting, but the teams hoisting the trophies at the end of the season do so by exerting their will on their opponents even when they know what’s coming
100% agreed. OSU, Alabama, etc always, and I mean always, have a powerful running game and dominate the LOS. Yes, they have studs at receiver and QB regularly, but they win games by dominating the LOS. Even teams like Iowa last year which had the worst passing game in history (outside of our own) still won 9 games simply by playing tough defense, controlling the LOS, and running the ball hard. Until NU can put together a domiating running attack that can impose it's will and shut down the opposing running game it's going to be hard.
Colorado gave everyone a false sense of security because they suck at running and stopping the run.

Haven’t seen our defense perform that badly since Michigan last year. An actual blind QB could’ve hit those receivers. I don’t think anyone saw that coming. Should have a winnable bounce back game

your guy is just a freshman. this outcome was predictable at some point in the season. it just came early. clearly the kid is a stud. the only downside i notice watching him for the first time was his lack of mobility in the pocket. but perhaps that's an experience issue as well. N's got a great one.

You don’t need 5* talent to beat the Illinois of the world

You need an identity

We proved that last year, and are proving it again this year
This is very flawed. We have one 5* kid so no we don’t. There not that many 5’s out there anyway. We do more talent overall, that doesn’t seem to be apparent to many. I was sounding the alarm on our D this summer - good front 4, back 7 iffy. A former safety playing corner, a corner that bounced between positions (while some promote him as a 1st round pick based on one pick six), and a corner turned safety that disappears in the run game but is in the spot for overthrown passes.

I am also surprise the “identity” and “run the ball” crowd haven’t been more negative on Dylan. Without doubt the kid is an amazing talent even as a freshman. He does have limitations. All these years reading the comments about “statue” QBs for other teams and now we have one. Clearly, that is an element Illinois used on us.

What did we prove last year besides we were woefully short of taken across the board? QB, RBs all hurt and out, WRs the same. Got down to freshmen all around who aren’t even sniffing the field this year. Can you imagine Dylan on last years team?

I am not sure Dylan was the best QB last night. He made some amazing throws no doubt and his receivers make equally amazing catches at times. Who overall led their team down the field when it was needed? I give Dylan as pass because he is a frost but I won’t take away what Altmeyer did for Illinois which play within the system, check into the right play, find the open guy, run/pass when the option was there. I guess you could say they played to their identity, whatever that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: arf_man
This is very flawed. We have one 5* kid so no we don’t. There not that many 5’s out there anyway. We do more talent overall, that doesn’t seem to be apparent to many. I was sounding the alarm on our D this summer - good front 4, back 7 iffy. A former safety playing corner, a corner that bounced between positions (while some promote him as a 1st round pick based on one pick six), and a corner turned safety that disappears in the run game but is in the spot for overthrown passes.

I am also surprise the “identity” and “run the ball” crowd haven’t been more negative on Dylan. Without doubt the kid is an amazing talent even as a freshman. He does have limitations. All these years reading the comments about “statue” QBs for other teams and now we have one. Clearly, that is an element Illinois used on us.

What did we prove last year besides we were woefully short of taken across the board? QB, RBs all hurt and out, WRs the same. Got down to freshmen all around who aren’t even sniffing the field this year. Can you imagine Dylan on last years team?
Dylan would look even better in a scheme that commits to power football

QB play was a push last night.

Illinois was better everywhere else. Most notably the level of physicality up front. Both sides of the ball. That's two weeks in a row of getting pushed around and generating little pressure for the front 7.

Reactions: SomedayHusker

This team was not prepared to play tonight. Look at the body language and lack of enthusiasm. That is what .500 coaches do.
Off season NC every year. A team of 3* beats our team of 3* 75% of the time.

Even DR can’t beat a team of 3*. I thought we’d win these type games. This team has the most talent (not saying much) since the 2016 team. Granted most are transfer and all are gone next year. We lose 15 or 16 starters with mid 3* behind. Year 24 or 25 and counting. Hope for a 9 win season every 25 years is realistic I hope.

your guy is just a freshman. this outcome was predictable at some point in the season. it just came early. clearly the kid is a stud. the only downside i notice watching him for the first time was his lack of mobility in the pocket. but perhaps that's an experience issue as well. N's got a great one.
No question Dylan is very very good. But it was his 4th collegiate football game and he’s 19. He was not the better QB last night. He threw behind his receivers a lot last night and just seemed a bit off. It’s going to happen, oh well. But you can’t continue to put the weight of this team on his shoulders every game, Our O-line play was disappointing, frankly. Things just went IL’s way from the start. We are far from a championship team and we have a lot of obvious areas we must improve on. Having said all of that we still SHOULD have won the game and, yes, the officiating did play a role. We’ll be fine and it’s still going to be fun. GBR.

Haven’t seen our defense perform that badly since Michigan last year. An actual blind QB could’ve hit those receivers. I don’t think anyone saw that coming. Should have a winnable bounce back game
White still has a lot to prove at DC here.

I like him, but outside of Colorado (which is a joke) our veteran defense has underwhelmed this season.

Reactions: HuskAir
We were s worried about the QB run game that our eyes were not where they needed to be. Lots of coverage busts by our safeties IMO.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT