ADVERTISEMENT

Quote of the season (so far) from Adam Rittenburg......

Dadmaster

Walk On
Dec 18, 2017
"Tonight's attendance: 89,759#Nebraska fans deserve better."

Totally agree......we do.....but don't say anything close to that because there are those on here who will immediately make excuses for both the poor coaching AND the horrendous execution we saw on that field.

This team, as it is right now, will be lucky to win two more games. How long can a fan base survive just on desire and optimism ?

This team appears mentally fragile to me even though Coach Frost said they're not. They could easily tank and not win another game. I hope not and don't believe that will be the case, but I am concerned. AM is struggling. Special teams looks like garbage

What did you honestly expect going into the game? I would be fascinated to know.....

It will take several years to clean up MR's, SE's, and HP's mess.
They literally burned the program to the ground. It's a complete rebuild. NU has made its bed and has to lay in it now. There is no quick fix.
NO ONE is asking for a quick fix. However, I don't think seeing progress is asking too much. This team has taken steps backward in numerous aspects of the game.....which to me (yes, only my opinion) is absolutely unacceptable. I understand the rebuild will be hard to watch. There are very few areas of this team that shows any progress towards that rebuild.

My issue is the coaching....Scott Frost has shown that he was lucky in his past endeavors.....not seeing the offensive genius he is suppose to be...and he does not appear to be a great motivator either. This team has lacked any fire and ambition from that very first game this year. The team from the second half of last year was a better team then this current team....and it can not be blamed on attrition....remember Frost and company are supposedly great recruit evaluators.

This is just not what we were expecting or told to expect.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

Totally agree......we do.....but don't say anything close to that because there are those on here who will immediately make excuses for both the poor coaching AND the horrendous execution we saw on that field.

This team, as it is right now, will be lucky to win two more games. How long can a fan base survive just on desire and optimism ?
The dumb fans won’t last long.

So you would do what, exactly??? Or is this just therapy complaining?

Last year 0-5 at this point, this year 3-2...
Last year one QB that could play, this year 3
Just announced $155M facilities upgrade...
Last year we would have folded against Illinois, this year was a comeback win...

Still lots of problems, but the trajectory is correct..

NO ONE is asking for a quick fix. However, I don't think seeing progress is asking too much. This team has taken steps backward in numerous aspects of the game.....which to me (yes, only my opinion) is absolutely unacceptable. I understand the rebuild will be hard to watch. There are very few areas of this team that shows any progress towards that rebuild.

My issue is the coaching....Scott Frost has shown that he was lucky in his past endeavors.....not seeing the offensive genius he is suppose to be...and he does not appear to be a great motivator either. This team has lacked any fire and ambition from that very first game this year. The team from the second half of last year was a better team then this current team....and it can not be blamed on attrition....remember Frost and company are supposedly great recruit evaluators.

Again, smart fan expected this. When you lose senior lineman, Ozigbo, and Morgan. Dumb fan thinks we were gonna be UCF year 2 lol.

Last edited:
I didn’t expect much. I’ve been a NEBRASKA fan since ‘62, still very much my team. After Solich was canned, men in suits destroyed any resemblance of what the Bobfather & Dr Tom built.

Suits that knew or cared nothing at all about qualified replacements instead, we had the NU plane sitting on a tarmac in Arkansas waiting on Houston Nutt & then the denials and lies started. The coaching carousel, washed up bums getting fat paychecks, a psycho coach that favored recruiting by car, poisoned the players, fans & media. Followed by milquetoast Mike hiding behind a glued on smile, produced nothing of merit.

I didn’t expect much, if anything from Frost. Look at the damage that has been done. This is going to take Frost some time to accomplish his goals & convince talent to come to NEBRASKA.
Still, I hold out for leadership, improvement & patience.

GBR !

This is only SF's 4th year as a HC...Mistakes will be made... He is learning.....It took TO 20 years to win a NC....

I didn’t expect much. I’ve been a NEBRASKA fan since ‘62, still very much my team. After Solich was canned, men in suits destroyed any resemblance of what the Bobfather & Dr Tom built.

Suits that knew or cared nothing at all about qualified replacements instead, we had the NU plane sitting on a tarmac in Arkansas waiting on Houston Nutt & then the denials and lies started. The coaching carousel, washed up bums getting fat paychecks, a psycho coach that favored recruiting by car, poisoned the players, fans & media. Followed by milquetoast Mike hiding behind a glued on smile, produced nothing of merit.

I didn’t expect much, if anything from Frost. Look at the damage that has been done. This is going to take Frost some time to accomplish his goals & convince talent to come to NEBRASKA.
Still, I hold out for leadership, improvement & patience.

GBR !

We’re around the same age along with Pennsy and I can agree with you on this except I do expect Frost getting us back to contending for conference titles..

It’s just going to take longer then a lot of us wanted including myself, that is why he was given a 7 year contract, we have a very young team on offense where we need to get better contending for conference titles is on defense... I’m not sure Chinander is the right defensive Coordinator.

What did you honestly expect going into the game? I would be fascinated to know.....
I expected to see them step up and compete for a quarter or two before the strength, skill and athleticism of OSU took over. Similar to the third drive or whichever one where they drove down the field mixing it up.

This team has a good chance to win their next four games, and be 7-2 or 6-3 heading into the Wisconsin game.

At times, it seems our guys are being over-coached and struggle to play instinctively. Adrian Martinez is a glaring example at times. I believe our staff is trying very hard to coach up our deficiencies and as a result, some fundamental aspects of the game are not up to par. The offensive line is obviously not where it needs to be, and we have no receivers. Our linebackers have very little speed, and our safeties are way to keyed up on runs. I am a believer that better players in the coming years will free the staff of this high stress- talent deficient stretch, and allow us to coach and play more free and instinctively instead of scared and careful

Reactions: Crazyhole
They literally burned the program to the ground. It's a complete rebuild. NU has made its bed and has to lay in it now. There is no quick fix.

Keep using this tired and worn out excuse. It doesn't work and is just something to hide behind. You need to seriously look at the play on the field and ask yourself what the heck is really going on. Riley won 4 games his last year, Frost won 4 his first year, now we are treading water in year two with poor showings each week.

I expected to see them step up and compete for a quarter or two before the strength, skill and athleticism of OSU took over. Similar to the third drive or whichever one where they drove down the field mixing it up.

Having 3 of your first 4 drives end in interceptions is a surefire recipe for not competing for a quarter or two.

At times, it seems our guys are being over-coached and struggle to play instinctively. Adrian Martinez is a glaring example at times. I believe our staff is trying very hard to coach up our deficiencies and as a result, some fundamental aspects of the game are not up to par. The offensive line is obviously not where it needs to be, and we have no receivers. Our linebackers have very little speed, and our safeties are way to keyed up on runs. I am a believer that better players in the coming years will free the staff of this high stress- talent deficient stretch, and allow us to coach and play more free and instinctively instead of scared and careful
Safety and linebacker play is weak. Line and corners are good. AM talented but sloppy. That’s something that may not improve. Smothers may have more upside. Move mccaffrey to receiver ? Start benhart ASAP. Try some other line combos.? Worried about decommits if no bowl game.

I'll use Colorado as an example here, the cu fans weren't totally up on cu after 1985, McCartney's 4th season there. It was his 5th season that they turned the corner and beat Nebraska in 1986.

Now, that program was down a lot further, but I do believe that by 2022, if Frost hasn't landed in the B1G title game by then, you have to think that he won't do much better for the two years that would remain on his contract.

Nebraska may be stuck in this purgatory for quite some time.

I get what he is saying and it is great that the fans continue to show up and support this team. However, Nebraska football has been making bad decisions for a long time. It took two decades of bad decisions to get us here and it’s going to take time to get us out of this mess.

Reactions: dpnavy
Those that are true fans will be just fine. I am going to remain a fan no matter what. I have always have and I always will. All the incessant whining from some of the fanbase won't help change things even one little bit. Overreacting drama queens like those sh*t fans booing our own team last night can just leave. We don't need them, don't want them.

This is the team you have this year. If people thought we were going to be world beaters in year 2 of a rebuild from a dumpster fire of a program, all I can say is stop being stupid. We are years away from having a line that can compete with top 10 teams.

This is only SF's 4th year as a HC...Mistakes will be made... He is learning.....It took TO 20 years to win a NC....

So why didnt he (like most good coaches do) surround himself w some stud coaches with some experience instead of bringing a bunch of AAC lvl coaches w him? That is 100% on Frost. That was 100% a mistake. FLA wouldnt hire him unless he ditched some of his staff and hired other coaches. They were smart, we were stupid in letting him bring his whole staff over.
Most of them dont have the resumes to be coaching in the b10 right now, even for the mid lvl teams. And that is what will kill is u til he corrects it and makes some better hires.

NU should NEVER be a training ground for a bunch of coaches ever.

Reactions: cecilB
Those that are true fans will be just fine. I am going to remain a fan no matter what. I have always have and I always will. All the incessant whining from some of the fanbase won't help change things even one little bit. Overreacting drama queens like those sh*t fans booing our own team last night can just leave. We don't need them, don't want them.

This is the team you have this year. If people thought we were going to be world beaters in year 2 of a rebuild from a dumpster fire of a program, all I can say is stop being stupid. We are years away from having a line that can compete with top 10 teams.

No one expected us to be world beaters, we just expected to be semi competitive vs tosu and not be game over im the 1st half. Most of us would have taken a 17pt loss (the spread) and would have been ok.

NW will play tosu tougher than we did last night and they have a fraction of the talent we do, but better overall coaching than we do.

Having 3 of your first 4 drives end in interceptions is a surefire recipe for not competing for a quarter or two.

That was the game...they were gonna score. ..but we literally threw it to their dbs and all 3 were open.

I can't even ****ing believe you! Please, we are 15 games in and over 85 + new players, sorry the blame smiling Mike ship has sailed.

Curious as to why everyone thinks they deserve anything more than most others? Most programs don't have have the titles Nebraska does, wouldn't they deserve far more at this point? Think if your Purdue, or NW, or Illinois, or 90 others. Those programs probably deserve just as much as anyone else..

The stadium is full for every game. Fans who go to the OSU game face a risk of this happening. NOBODY was surprised by the outcome unless you are an idiot and have no knowledge of football. Buying a ticket to this game was like buying a ticket to a really bad movie and expecting it to be good except there is a 1% chance you might really like it.

I love it when the "true fan" or the "Dumb Fan" comments come out. I find it really amazing that those folks can not handle someone having even a slightly negative opinion about the state of Huskers football.

NO ONE expected them to be world beaters or championship quality this year. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect progress though. This team is regressing in multiple areas. If this team is that far behind then HCSF should not be out saying how great the weeks practices were and how ready they are. Because of course we are going to have expectations that may not be where they should be.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
The stadium is full for every game. Fans who go to the OSU game face a risk of this happening. NOBODY was surprised by the outcome unless you are an idiot and have no knowledge of football. Buying a ticket to this game was like buying a ticket to a really bad movie and expecting it to be good except there is a 1% chance you might really like it.
OHHHH I forgot....you are the guy who knows everything about football and the rest of us know nothing Damn I should have realized I needed to ask you.

Even though you know everything....no one was expecting a miraculous win in this game....I personally just hoped for a relatively competitive game instead of the effortless play we got.

I wonder if the fan support works against this program in its current state. No other major program would be this bad and still have the stands full and the fans still emotionally invested so much as NU. Look at OU their stadium was half empty during the Blake years.

This amount of support brings with it increased scrutiny when there are failures such as this. That negativity then affects the players and it can spiral down from there. NU fans have seen many years where in fact this has already happened.

I believe Frost is our guy but I think the best thing for this team/ program is to forget about wins today and work to put what is needed in place for the future. This would be a lot easier and less painful if we were not as passionate a fan base as we are

I expect Nebraska to play them tougher than the average MAC team would, especially at home with a massive crowd behind them.

You can say that we are still rebuilding, but we have always had a far greater budget than any MAC team and far better recruiting classes than a MAC team, so the expectation is that we should be at least a little competitive than a MAC team. Alas, no.

Reactions: hephusker
We’re around the same age along with Pennsy and I can agree with you on this except I do expect Frost getting us back to contending for conference titles..

It’s just going to take longer then a lot of us wanted including myself, that is why he was given a 7 year contract, we have a very young team on offense where we need to get better contending for conference titles is on defense... I’m not sure Chinander is the right defensive Coordinator.
I agree with everything but Chins. I think he'll get it done. He's got to have some time to develop the linebackers he needs. In addition, we've got to stay healthy in the back side. The injuries at DB are killing us right now.

Keep using this tired and worn out excuse. It doesn't work and is just something to hide behind.

THANK YOU for saying this. I'm so tired of everything being blamed on Riley, like football is a town that was wrecked by a hurricane, and needs five years to rebuild. That is such bullshit.

I took a job with a big company, and we had a pretty bad manager. Petty, vindictive, and generally hated by all. When she retired, they couldn't find a single person to even voice a generic kind word at the party. She was replaced by a former team lead who was very bright, well respected, and knew her stuff. Almost instantly the team started performing better. New ideas that had previously been rejected we not only allowed, but encouraged and championed to leadership. Productivity skyrocketed. The team of three was doing work that had previously taken seven people to perform, and we were still taking on additional tasks.

That is called leadership. Where people are involved, a lot can change almost overnight with the right leadership. The concept that you need 100% turnover in the roster, and then maybe even some additional years of roster changes to turnover the turnover is complete bull. Yes, talent matters. But going from good athletes to elite athletes might be the difference between nine wins and a national championship. There's no reason this team can't perform at a much higher level. Know how I know? Because they're routinely getting crushed by teams with far lower recruiting rankings. How do you explain that? Leadership.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MIKE RILEY, THE GUY WHO HAS BEEN GONE NOW FOR NEARLY TWO YEARS.

Reactions: cecilB
It certainly has SOMETHING to do with Mike Rileys roster management. Not the determining factor, but certainly tangibly noticable in the lack of offensive line and wide receiver depth/skill level. You cant say Mikes choices have NOTHING to do with the teams current state, particularly with roster management.

So you would do what, exactly??? Or is this just therapy complaining?

That's a fair comment in general. When I complain about anything in life I offer a solution as a follow-up. Most people don't. It's always been a problem, but in the last 20 years the size of the epidemic has over-whelmed the West and probably set it on a path that will make it subservient to lesser nations with evil intent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT