brnred1989

All-American
Sep 3, 2011
I currently work at the University as a student manager
of a student support services program and I got to chat with a former
player whom now works with the team in an academic advisor / counselor
position. He played in the early 90's on the defensive side of the
ball. Anyways just a few tidbits as he stopped by our office and we
talked for a good solid 90 mins about all things Huskers.

- When
we moved to the BIG, the people who came to interview our University
before we got into the BIG were blown away by how much stuff we did with
donations (east stadium, new research facilites, PBA with the city's
help).

- He said OSU seems broke in the recruiting department as they put so much money into recruiting.

-
In the old big 12 we made about 12-14 million a year, now in the BIG we
make around 16-17 million, by 2016 or 2017 we will be around 40 million
after the BIG redoes the TV deal.

- He said alot of this will go
into recruiting because, we paid for the east expansion ourselves, the
new devaney research facilities out there by the fair grounds etc.

- HCMR is the closest to TO that will be get in his opinion.

-
2 Private Jets have been fully used and donated by donors for all
exclusive use, after HCMR 1st presser within hours he was on the jet
seeing recruits and making connections.

- HCMR never had a private jet, they called him and told he has not ONE but TWO private jets, he didn't know what to say at all.

-
He has never had this talent like this at OSU; he has one of the best
winning % against ranked teams see USC in the mid and late 2000's; he
won't be outcoached.

- We will have bad games but we will always lose will honor and never get blown out.

-
Donors were pissed that BO and Co never wanted to really use the jets,
and BO hated recruiting 247, wanted to recruit and enjoys his breaks and
wasn't hungry; he didn't even really want to be here he wanted to be
fired; all those reports of his name surfacing for other jobs is all
true.

- He said to watch out for coach Cav being one of our best IF NOT our best person on staff to recruit.

- Pumped by all the hires. ESP OC / QC (quarterback coach), DB coach and WR coach

- Simplified defense will help a lot, we speed and reactions; no more playing slow

-
He said Urban is SMART, said at conferences for the coaches he will
come up with ideas such as less texting to recruits "don't want to
bother those busy HS kids anyways"; so the coaches sign off on that and
BAM all the other schools not named tOSU limits themselves because you
can contact kids if they contact you first. Well all the kids want to
contact Urban since they just won the NC and he is a great coach etc.
Said now HCMR won't fall for that stuff unlike BO.

- said BO's sideline behavior was BS and uncalled for and that this won't happen with HCMR.

- SE made the right call at the right time he thought.

-
When HCMR got here they were lining up the fancy cars etc, he turned
them down and said no thanks; he walks everywhere on campus and rides
his bike whenever and where ever he can withing reason.

- HCMR
respects Charlie McBride and TO and his coaches want to follow the
proper blackshirt tradition and everyone believes in what they got here
at NE; this is their final stop they all love it here.

- This
staff is recruiting hungry and they get it, said they will get 4 star
and 5 star players; he said we will LOCK down on on matt farniok

- No reason this staff can't get top 10-15 recruiting classes.

-
Win the BIG conf every 3-4 years, no reason we shouldn't say win the
WEST 7 out of 10 years; run it like we did in the old Big 12 North.

- Loves the new S & C staff, just loves their attitude and the head guy is JACKED!

-
All BB from the ground stuff now, fast powerful movements no more yoga,
explosion and HIPS, HIPS, HIPS and HIPS; did I say HIIIPPPS?

- Fastest players will get on the field.

-
Will be hard to replace AA, but back-ups are nice; RG could of been
better but with BO's none attacking scheme he held himself back a good
bit.

- Reason players respected BO was eqv to an abusive
relationship; his players who get screamed at and yelled at for running
his schemes; yet he would never adjust his schemes to allow the players
to excel; and he would take his temper out on the players yet his was
BO's fault for not adapting his schemes.

- BO and Co ran an
offensive and defensive system that didn't always match his players
strengths and limited their weaknesses, it was his O scheme and D scheme
or hell or high water; HCMR will always adapt the O and D to his
players to cover their weaknesses and allow them to play fast and free.

-
Beck didn't even KNOW how to run a short 10-15 yard passing route, all
his calls were 20-30 bombs he could never figure it out.

That is all enjoy the nuggets.
This post was edited on 3/9 10:05 AM by brnred1989

Hmmm. Seems like I've read all of this before on this board.

Thanks for sharing.

This post was edited on 3/9 1:19 PM by kchu5ker555

Thanks. Always appreciate insight from former players/coaches. (Even if a lot of it has been discussed here already).

Only lines I have questions on are these....

- We will have bad games but we will always lose will honor and never get blown out.
While I'd love for this to be fact, nobody can predict "never".

And....

- Beck didn't even KNOW how to run a short 10-15 yard passing route, all his calls were 20-30 bombs he could never figure it out.
I know the easy thing to do is bag on all the bombs we threw but I'm pretty sure I saw plenty of 10-15 yard passing routes. Not saying it was a lethal weapon for us, but it wasn' non-existant either.

Again, thanks for the tidbits....keep em coming if possible. Would be interesting to hear what your source has to say after Spring ball.

Said it killed us to not have a real quarterback coach at
times; says our OL is beast status; coach Cav is all technique technique
technique as is all the other coaches. Big theme was play FAST and PLAY
FREE; very attacking style. He won't make TA sling it around like a
pro-style QB; like my guy said they will take the players on each side of the
ball and make O and D schemes to give the players the best chance on the field
to win. HCMR will be a father figure to these players just like TO; he
said if we ever got rid of BO I was hoping they would go after HCMR as it he
seemed like the best fit for our school both for his winning % in big games,
type of hires he would make and how he was hungry to get us back on top.

- HCMR just loves it here, LOVES the ability to each West and East
coast; loves the grind of recruiting and you are seeing it now via with great
offers in 2016 and in 2017 recruits.

- Said these new coaches are very friendly, personable, open and honest; they
are great at SELLING the BIG RED MACHINE!

- Overall players and team will be so much better with so many more eyes, and
real coaching.

- Each coach's strengths help over up another coach's weaknesses etc,
compliment each other well.

Some more on coach Cav:

- Hard nosed coach, old school ideas and is a tough SOB; he is stern but fair
and expects his players to follow his teachings.

I'll address your two areas of questions:

1.) Our teams won't destruct like they would under BO, when blowouts happened if that makes sense? They won't happen as regular.

2.) Expanding on the short routes - he gained more our stuff on long bombs, Beck didn't know how to take a drive all the way down the field; it was just a lot of quick hit stuff that is all. Should of phrased it better, said short routes weren't our strength.

I like the optimism but it's ridiculous to say he will never get blown out or out-coached, he lost to several FCS teams at home at Oregon State and had his fair share of bad losses to average teams.

Originally posted by brnred1989:
I'll address your two areas of questions:

1.) Our teams won't destruct like they would under BO, when blowouts happened if that makes sense? They won't happen as regular.

2.) Expanding on the short routes - he gained more our stuff on long bombs, Beck didn't know how to take a drive all the way down the field; it was just a lot of quick hit stuff that is all. Should of phrased it better, said short routes weren't our strength.
Thanks. Yeah, I think most would agree that the self destruction/quit when things went wrong led to the blowouts. That will be nice to see change. We will still get beat and some may be considered bad on the scoreboard, but if they keep competing and don't let the games get out of hand, I will be able to accept them easier.

I went to one road game in the last ten years. And to see the team give up in Madison after spending the money and time was just sickening. Don't ever want to endure that again.

Thanks for the inside info. Most of us feel we have found the right coach. Such talk as this just confirms that belief. Haters gonna hate. (I've been wanting to say that for a while as I had to hear that ad nauseum during Bo's dead man walking imitation this last year)

- HCMR never had a private jet, they called him and told he has not ONE but TWO private jets, he didn't know what to say at all.

- When HCMR got here they were lining up the fancy cars etc, he turned them down and said no thanks; he walks everywhere on campus and rides his bike whenever and where ever he can withing reason.
Interesting because we picked up Coach Gary Andersen with a private jet from a donor to bring him from Madison to Corvallis for his presser. The private jet was also used last recruiting cycle and brought several coaches to recruit Florida, Louisiana, and back.

HCMR was never told no on anything related to spending for recruiting by our AD.

The second part is true as HCMR isn't in to materialistic things and would rather ride his bike and drive a Prius over a luxury car.

I have no ill-will towards HCMR as he did some good things in Corvallis, but I don't think he will win enough consistently to satisfy your fan base. He'll win the West 3 out of 10 years, not 7, but is that enough for Cornhusker fans?

Always appreciate these types of posts. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Originally posted by yana080:

- When HCMR got here they were lining up the fancy cars etc, he turned them down and said no thanks; he walks everywhere on campus and rides his bike whenever and where ever he can withing reason.
Interesting because we picked up Coach Gary Andersen with a private jet from a donor to bring him from Madison to Corvallis for his presser. The private jet was also used last recruiting cycle and brought several coaches to recruit Florida, Louisiana, and back.

HCMR was never told no on anything related to spending for recruiting by our AD.

The second part is true as HCMR isn't in to materialistic things and would rather ride his bike and drive a Prius over a luxury car.

I have no ill-will towards HCMR as he did some good things in Corvallis, but I don't think he will win enough consistently to satisfy your fan base. He'll win the West 3 out of 10 years, not 7, but is that enough for Cornhusker fans?
I think there have been stories that contradict that, but its not really important. It was probably time for OSU and Riley to part ways, but the deal he was on made it financially costly for him to leave, unless it was on his own accord. Honestly, the situation seems to have worked out very well for all parties. GA is gone from Wisconsin, Narduzzi is gone from MSU, Riley is gone from OSU, and Pelini is gone from Nebraska. As long as Riley and Anderson win of course.

It's always interesting to hear a former player's thoughts and opinions, and thanks for sharing it.

I don't think I'd call it propaganda, some of the points are the same thing we've talked about on here. And of course there are some new items that I appreciate having the opportunity to read. I suppose if you don't like it at all, you could always search out some former players until you find one with opinions that support your own.
This post was edited on 3/9 1:01 PM by nebcountry

Originally posted by ssmith84:

I think there have been stories that contradict that, but its not really important. It was probably time for OSU and Riley to part ways, but the deal he was on made it financially costly for him to leave, unless it was on his own accord. Honestly, the situation seems to have worked out very well for all parties. GA is gone from Wisconsin, Narduzzi is gone from MSU, Riley is gone from OSU, and Pelini is gone from Nebraska. As long as Riley and Anderson win of course.
Yeah, our own fans questioned if our AD was holding Riley back on spending for recruiting and everyone from the AD to other inside sources said no. This is different from updating or building facilities as that takes a longer process to raise funds, secure architects, builders, permits, etc., but from a pure spending on recruits, HCMR was never told no.

But I agree, the present is what is more important and all parties seem to have benefited from the changes. I hope HCMR has success for Nebraska as I can't stand Wisconsin's fans. Went to watch Oregon State play Wisconsin in Madison and have never been treated so poorly. Good luck in 2015 Husker fans!

I think both schools did well with their hires. NU got a definite upgrade in coaching and I think OSU might have hired a very good young coach that will be there a long time.

Wow, great, great stuff! I simply wonder how the clowns from the previous regime won all those games. From the sounds of it, Smilin Mike and staff should darn near run the table. Oh yea, I'm especially thrilled that the blowout losses were now eliminated with the new guys.

Originally posted by D_Patrick:

Wow, great, great stuff! I simply wonder how the clowns from the previous regime won all those games. From the sounds of it, Smilin Mike and staff should darn near run the table. Oh yea, I'm especially thrilled that the blowout losses were now eliminated with the new guys.
We'll see on the blowouts, but it definitely won't hurt things that the HC won't be melting down on the sidelines when things go wrong.

The blow out games were the nail in Bo's coffin. Am glad these will be a thing of the past under HCMR

I find it hard to believe any P5 coach is okay with a recruiting budget of $219,000 (2010), $290,000 (2011) or even $430,000 (2012). Ranked in the PAC, that would be - second to last, second to last and after expansion, fourth to last. In a state with a very limited recruiting base, that isn't good at all.

In one of the years, Oregon State football reported a $9,000,000 surplus. However, their recruiting budget doesn't reflect the difference of expenses and revenues. Quite frankly, it's embarrassingly low. Something doesn't add up. At all.

So,it's the coaches fault Tommy couldn't complete a flare pass?

Originally posted by meo1960:

So,it's the coaches fault Tommy couldn't complete a flare pass?
Yep, just like it's Tim Miles' fault David Rivers missed a bunny and went 1-6 at the charity stripe.

In all seriousness, should a spread offense have a starting QB that can't complete a flare pass?

You will have to excuse D Patrick. He had his head up Pelinis butt for seven years. We will very likely have some tough losses under Riley. Will in be a yearly occurrence like it was under Blowlini? I hope not.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Agreed. His cute little Smilin Mike monicker is better than the Douchnozzle Bo one our last coach wore like some badge of pride.

13 & 4.6.3, I know you boys get a kick out of bashing Bo, but he's gone, so ya'll really need to get over it. I put it behind me Dec. 1st of 2014. Smilin Mike is the new sheriff in town and responsible for leading NU. Forgive me if I don't blow sunshine like the rest and slobber all over them, not my style......didn't do it with Bo either if you remotely paid attention. I wish this staff well, my only barometer is W's & L's. Eich set the bar, time for them to prove it in the fall. Have a good evening kids.

You defended Blowlinni every chance you got. Even when others pointed out his stubbornness and psychotic episodes. You still defended him. I can guarentee you, you won't do the same for Riley if push comes up to shove. Sorry lady, Blowlinni will continue to be dogged and rightfully so because of his antics and Bolievers like you who like I originally said...had your heads up Blowlinnis butt for seven years.

Oh and BTW. The bar was set long before Eichorst. What world do you live in? I can see it now. If Riley loses 4 games in year 1 you will be spewing crap out of your mouth about Riley and Eichorst concerning the ...."bar." But you loved your Blowlinni for seven years! Sorry, we had expectations under Blowlinni also...just because your savior couldn't meet those expectations doesn't mean we all of a sudden "set the bar." If Riley fails to win he will meet the same fate as Blowlinni with a few less D Patrick's kissing the ground he walks on.

I patiently await you to be a COMPLETE hypocrite if we win 9 or more this year. It will be funny to see Blo fans continue to melt down, while the rest of us (actual Husker fans) look forward and support a coach that acts like an adult, and is an ACTUAL leader for the kids in the program. Blo took his p@ssy and c!nt act to a craphole town with a Jr. High program. You would think someone would want to hire the guy that coached Suh who is going to sign a record-breaking deal. But ACTUAL football minds see him for what he is.

I don't know how much of this I would like to believe. Seems like everything us fans want to be true

I hope the Urban stuff is true.

The info of Cav is definitely true. He is a big time underrated recruiter

Seems like the lack of 10-15 yard pass plays were more a function of Armstrong's ability to complete those passes.

Armstrong did have some of the blame, the past player was just disgruntled due to the fact that every play was a 20-30 year bomb; not a lot of flow to the offense.

Armstrong did have some of the blame, the past player was just disgruntled due to the fact that every play was a 20-30 year bomb; not a lot of flow to the offense.
I'm not a huge Beck fan (full disclosure: I was in the past) but in his defense, if you were calling the pass plays last year those short to medium passes were last on the list. It's just not Tommy's strength. Beck needed the Todd Reesings of the world, but recruited the Jammal Lords.

Originally posted by suhnami:
Seems like the lack of 10-15 yard pass plays were more a function of Armstrong's ability to complete those passes.
I about choked on a sammich when I was watching a bit of practice video from yesterday. They were doing a short over the middle (10 yard) passing drill and TA threw the ball such that the receiver had to jump to catch it. 10 yard pass with no linemen in a drill and he nearly shot it over the receiver's head. How does one do th
confused0024.r191677.gif
at?

I have asked this question before. How much was on Tommy and how much was on Beck? It seemed like TM3 could hit shorter routes and find the TE. TA4 better be able to do the same or its going to be Stanton or Bush at some point.

Didn't we hear this exact same stuff when Bo Pelini was hired?

Doesn't every program hear this exact same stuff when a new coach is hired?

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:
I have asked this question before. How much was on Tommy and how much was on Beck? It seemed like TM3 could hit shorter routes and find the TE. TA4 better be able to do the same or its going to be Stanton or Bush at some point.
TM was not an accurate passer at all. He had some receivers that especially as a freshman and sophomore at times made him look better than he was. Much of that was his mechanics. TA I dunno. He obviously lacks touch most of the times. He looks to me like the guy that shoots 60%+ from three but shoots less than 50% from the free throw line. It is going to be interesting to see what Langsdorf can do with the arms we have. Both Riley and Langsdorf have expressed that they like our QBs' arms.

Originally posted by Limeincoke:
Didn't we hear this exact same stuff when Bo Pelini was hired?

Doesn't every program hear this exact same stuff when a new coach is hired?
Well, it's better than hearing the opposite.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Still, hope springs eternal everywhere. Oregon State players say they are loving the new coaches and the enthusiasm they are bringing to spring ball. It happens everywhere.

Speaking of hope in the spring, Oregon State fans seem to think they will have a breakthrough year. I don't see how. They have seven (yes seven) quarterbacks and Anderson has now whittled it down to three. AND it looks like the odds on favorite to win the job is an early enrollee true freshman who is a two star kid out of California who committed in January. You can't make this stuff up.

This post was edited on 3/12 10:06 PM by Tulsa Tom

OSU qbs and Vegas odds

ADVERTISEMENT