ADVERTISEMENT

Quick question for those who know Husker basketball

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
How do those of you who know the team and the new coach see Neb. doing this year in conference play?

Will you finish in the celler, be mid-pack....where will you guys be when the season's over?

I know a lot of guys wanted the 7' kid you guys picked up, and a couple of the guards seem to be able to shoot, and a ton of folks (I'm not included in this group) really like your new coach and think he's the real deal.

Not flaming in any way, just asking those of you who know for honest opinions as many have you guys holding down the bottom in the league, at least for this coming season.

Considering what NU has coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if they finished in the cellar. The roster will be bare bones this year with the transfers that NU has redshirting and the freshmen that will be redshirted. That being said, I think that the Husker fans are excited for what Coach Miles can do in the future.

I talked to Max Ritchie, Walk-on SG, and he thinks they will do better then expected. I think the new center is an up grade over the old center we Diaz, but will need time to learn the system. What i have seen of miles is that he is a very intelligent coach, and recruits intelligent players. He is a very good tactician and this will come in to play. He knows how to create miss matches and exploit weakness. This season depends on how quickly the guys adapt to the new system and who steps up. This season at it's best will net 18 wins, that is if everythings goes right. If it goes as everyone fears we could be looking at 7 to 13 wins. I think it is closer to 13 to 15 wins.

the key to having any success this season, in my opinion, is avoiding injuries. injuries last year slowed the 2 guys i feel are the most important to our team this season, Talley, and Almedia. We aren't deep and can't afford injuries anywhere. That being said, i think we'll defintly struggle at times. 2 guys who need to step up most- Ray Gallegos and David Rivers. Excited to see what Miles can cook up for matchups. While i dont think we'll fair well in conference plays, i really think we'll see us play a few teams way closer, if not upset, some ranked teams more than many people think. jmo

I'm a die-hard Nebraska fan and try to remain optimistic about the Husker b-ballets. But realistically, with the strength of Big Ten poll ratings this year, the Huskers may win only 3 to 4 conference games max this year. If Deverill Biggs red-shirts this year, it looks like Coach Miles is building for next year and beyond. That means lots of losses and lumps this year to an out-matched team in most Big Ten games.

It looks like Miles may be trying to take a page out of Fred Hoiberg's book when it comes to starting at a program. Redshirt as many young players and transfers and take your lumps the first year and hope it pays dividends the second year. It worked for him, hopefully it works for NU. Not sure who will be redshirted this year. The TTech kid will redshirt due to transfer. There was talk of the Florida kid being eligible for some reason, but I know that Miles stated that he would redshirt. Devrell Biggs is a Juco transfer that Miles is looking to redshirt. As far as the Freshmen, I have no clue.

I think Biggs should just play this year. If the NZ kid can play like he did in the olympics and really does come here there is no reason to redshirt Biggs, we will be fine at PG.

I wouldn't expect more than about 12-14 wins this season, honestly, for all the reasons stated above. That said, hearing the emphasis TM is placing on offensive execution/SHOOTING (Dear, God - what!? Practice OFFENSE!?!?!) ... we might sneak a couple of W's out that we wouldn't have stolen last year - if we have some good shooting nights. Cuz we do have some cats that can light it up (Talley was a 20 ppg scorer in JC, you'll recall). And I think all of the returning players will flourish in TM's Motion Offense. It's create more freedom, better looks, and more trips to the FT line!!

At the very least, it should be a more entertaining brand of basketball to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT